Author Topic: Willing to Labor for Learning in Phoenix AZ  (Read 3028 times)

#FuckTheMaytagMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Willing to Labor for Learning in Phoenix AZ
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
I am in Phoenix AZ, and want to work with YOU helping on whatever project you need help with! I just bought my first house recently, and want to take my DIY learning into overdrive. I did construction work in highschool for a contractor friend, but I don't trust myself to do any interior work beyond the easiest, i.e. hanging curtain rods and painting. For some reason the Community Colleges in the valley do not have home maintenance classes that I can find, and Home Depot only has a 1 hour, monthly DIY workshop.
 If you have a project, and I mean truly anything that could benefit from an extra pair of hands, contact me. I do work full time, 7:30-5:30 with commute, but I can work on weekends or at night if that what your into. My tool portfolio is at the stubble level for a mustachian, but its growing slowly thanks to Harbor Freight Tools.
Modify message

jmusic

• Bristles
Re: Willing to Labor for Learning in Phoenix AZ
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
I'm not sure if they'll work with you (in my area they only accept individual help on weekdays), but Habitat for Humanity or similar is a good place to start if you can't find anyone locally.

Also, some items at Harbor Freight I view as a false economy.  They're "cheap" in every sense of the word.

#FuckTheMaytagMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
Good call on the habitat for humanity, learn some skills and volunteering too. Most of what I get at Harbor Freight are simple things, drill sets, screwdrivers, sandpaper and what not. My wife and i take dressers and what not from trash day and savers, rehab the and turn around to sell them, so that where harbor freight comes in handy. Most of my power tools, (the small amount i have) were given to me by my father-in-law who used to be a contractor, but unfortunately he lives out of town so he cant really teach me.

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »
Yea, i'll second the volunteer. 

For a while one of the local church groups also had a "helper handyman" service, where people would volunteer to do handyman work for the elderly or otherwise unable folks.  Call around maybe there is something by you. 

whereareweallgoing?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:58 AM »
#FuckTheMaytagMan, are you still in the Phoenix area?  We should get together sometime and chat! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!