Author Topic: Victoria, BC Meet Up - Sat 16 Sept 2017  (Read 5458 times)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Victoria, BC Meet Up - Sat 16 Sept 2017
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »

We are having a 2 part MMM Meet Up on Saturday 16 Sept 2017.

Part 1 - Mountain Bike Ride

- meet in the main Hartland Dump parking lot at 1pm
- be able to ride any blue trail and easier black trails
- expected ride length 2-3hrs

Part 2 - Retire Canada's Backyard

- meet at RC's place [PM for addy] at 6pm
- RSVP to this thread if you are coming so we make sure you get the info
- BYOB & BYOM for BBQ [we'll have BBQ, condiments and some snacks like chips]

Sunday Ride

There will also be a Sunday mountain bike ride at 10am. Location to be determined based on weather and how the Sat ride goes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:35:49 PM by Retire-Canada »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: Victoria, BC Meet Up - Sat 16 Sept 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »

Attendee List

- Fire at 45
- Retire Canada
- Stasher [?]

I'll keep updating list as folks RSVP.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
Can't do the 16th as I'm only in town from September 1st to 10th.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but is anyone interested in an earlier meet-up?  The Gorge Point pub is close to our new house, and has good on-line reviews. 

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
I want to RSVP but we're expecting a baby any day right now...I figure we should have the parenting thing down to a science after the first week, but don't want to commit to the meetup just in case. Can I be on a 'maybe' list?

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
Sounds good , if I'm back from California I will be there.
This sounds great

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Looks really good for being able to make it! I'll confirm when I know for sure.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
It's booked. The rest of the family is going come along and enjoy Victoria, but I'm in for rides both days and Spinakers.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
It's booked. The rest of the family is going come along and enjoy Victoria, but I'm in for rides both days and Spinakers.

Nice! Well for sure it's you, me and F@45. Should be awesome. :)

I was saying to F@45 if it's just the 3 of us we'll BBQ in my backyard. Cheaper food and beer. Unless you have your heart set on Spinnakers.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »
I was saying to F@45 if it's just the 3 of us we'll BBQ in my backyard. Cheaper food and beer. Unless you have your heart set on Spinnakers.

The backyard sounds even better.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
Did BYF ever weigh-in on whether she could make it for food and drinks, if not the riding?

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
Are my ears burning? 😊. I'd love to come down and see you all, but unfortunately we've scheduled our first round of housewarming parties for that afternoon.  I guess I'll have to host a meetup sometimes later in the fall, eh?  Hmmm.  Wonder if we could get Jon_Snow over before he heads south...

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
It's official.  After this Meetup I've been to more Victoria meet ups than Vancouver. I'll have to fix that in the winter ;)

That's not a problem that needs fixing. ;)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
I updated the original post since so far it's only [R@45, Chaplin, Stasher and RC] coming we are skipping Spinnaker's and doing a BBQ in my backyard. Cheaper and less hassle. Anyone else is welcome and I have room for 20+ people so no worries that we can't accommodate you. Just PM me for the address.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
It's official.  After this Meetup I've been to more Victoria meet ups than Vancouver. I'll have to fix that in the winter ;)
That's not a problem that needs fixing. ;)
LOL I agree !!

Are my ears burning? 😊. I'd love to come down and see you all, but unfortunately we've scheduled our first round of housewarming parties for that afternoon.  I guess I'll have to host a meetup sometimes later in the fall, eh?  Hmmm.  Wonder if we could get Jon_Snow over before he heads south...

Yes, let's make that happen at your new place

I updated the original post since so far it's only [R@45, Chaplin, Stasher and RC] coming we are skipping Spinnaker's and doing a BBQ in my backyard. Cheaper and less hassle. Anyone else is welcome and I have room for 20+ people so no worries that we can't accommodate you. Just PM me for the address.

Thanks for the update

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
I hope everyone has fun tomorrow. I've been keeping an eye on this thread, even knowing I wouldn't make it. For me, FIRE is remarkably devoid in "obligations"...but one has been circled on the calendar for a few months now, one that keeps me on the wrong side of the Salish Sea...thus my silence in this thread. Jon_Snow doesn't "shred", but I would have loved to knock out a nice 10k trail run somewhere and then meetup at RC's afterwards....I'll take a backyard BBQ over a pub every time - though Spinnaker wings make this a close call. :)

Again, have fun everyone!

BYF, please do that! I won't be Baja bound for a while yet...late October at the earliest.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
We will miss you buddy..

I want to be the attendee at the Baja meetup though :) totally game to come that way

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »
Yes. Once I FIRE I want to attend at MMM Baja Meet Up and Taco Fiesta at JS' place. Well that's if a dirty Arroyo Rat like me can get past the security perimeter! ;)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
Yes. Once I FIRE I want to attend at MMM Baja Meet Up and Taco Fiesta at JS' place. Well that's if a dirty Arroyo Rat like me can get past the security perimeter! ;)
Let's make it happen ... planning to commence saturday over a BBQ , are there mountains I can climb there?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

Let's make it happen ... planning to commence saturday over a BBQ , are there mountains I can climb there?

Guys we NEED to do the Baja thing at some point. RC could guide us in the ways of the off-grid Baja-beach thing (I want to try the dirty Arroyo-rat thing)....and then, when we all decide we could use some cushier accomodations and modern conveniences we could make our way to the Snow-compound down in Cabo.

Oh yes...this WILL happen.

And have fun today guys! *mutters under his breath because he's stuck in Vancouver*

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
I'm holding you accountable to laying the foundation to PNW meets Baja @JS ... let's do this
And as for today...we will ride a trail in your honor :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »

Free camping spot at a surfbreak 3hrs from JS' Baja luxury compound. No services. No people. No hassles. No fees. My kind of place.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »
Nice RC....

I look forward to the day when we can convene somewhere on the shore of the Sea of Cortez, crack open a couple (or many, depending on how many can make it down there) of ice-cold Pacifico's and each contemplate our own journeys that allowed us to be there at that moment. Yeah, this would be GREAT.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Although the Meet Up continues today with a second MTB ride the main event went off without a hitch yesterday.Four brave MMMers rode for nearly 3hrs covering just under 10kms. Yes if you do the math that's not a fast pace, but that wasn't us slacking off. The trails here are very "dense" with techy features and steep punchy climbs. You don't go very fast on rides here. No serious crashes or injuries to report, which is real nice and folks just crushed the technical features without a second thought. BC MTBers are a pretty gnarly group!

Post-ride we went back to my place for a BBQ. We were joined by Chaplin's lady and boy to give us the record for most people at a Victoria Area Meet Up...at least as long as I have been going to them. The hanging out was fun, but we got the message that summer is done as it got dark before 8pm and a serious chill set in.

Today F@45, Chaplin and I will do one more ride in the morning before the rains come and the mainlanders have to leave paradise.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 07:49:57 AM »

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Thanks for wasting no time getting the next date picked

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
It was a fun day and we worked up a good appetite for drinks and bbq, thanks for the hospitality @RC !
Nice to meet the most famous forum member @Midnight also :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
I look sexier than I thought! ;)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
We got out early today before the rains and rode a different set of trails for ~2hrs. These trails were a touch less gnarly, but still quite interesting. F@45 and Chaplain threw down some sick moves and laid waste to the dirt. It's clear that I will need to select some tougher trails for the next MMM Mountain Bike Meet Up.

After the ride we had a second BBQ because why not and drank what beers and cider remained from yesterday. Team MMM left around 2pm for the ferry so I hit the sack for a nice long nap with Kitty. I just got up walked to the beer store for a resupply mission and now it's chill time with kitty. While I prepare myself for an epic 3 days of wage slavery!

Thanks for coming folks. Fun was had. Next ride meet up will be on the mainland in Nov or Dec.