Author Topic: Vancouver/Seattle Camping Meetup June 9/10, 2018 (Bellingham, Washington)  (Read 20872 times)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Site #2 MIGHT be FIFoFum and I! We don't know which site number we are!

Oh well, as @Zikoris pointed out I don't think we are going to be rambunctious and they might like us if they aren't part of our group ;)

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
Site #2 MIGHT be FIFoFum and I! We don't know which site number we are!

It's not. We're #4.

Duke3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
We are booked into campsite 10.  Looking forward!  Will be arriving late tonight as we're coming from Vancouver Island.
Happy to help with any of the activities / organization
Two tents already so unfortunately no room to split the site

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
We are booked into campsite 10.  Looking forward!  Will be arriving late tonight as we're coming from Vancouver Island.
Happy to help with any of the activities / organization
Two tents already so unfortunately no room to split the site

Iím here already.  That should be fine.  We are the only people booked here.  Iíll ask them to leave the gate open.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I will be there around 5-5:30pm

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
People are starting to roll in now.  Some bright sky approaching ;)

JustTrying

• Stubble
I'm at the wrong trailhead! Don't worry about me! Just go ahead and hike, I'll see you later!

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
It was so nice to meet (and in some cases re-meet) you all this weekend!

Thanks especially to F@45, Zikoris, and Goldielocks for your efforts and initiative. We should do this again (and hopefully we'll be blessed with the same stroke of good weather luck).

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
I had a great time too, it was awesome to put faces with names and hear the stories!  Thanks for organizing this event.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I'm at the wrong trailhead! Don't worry about me! Just go ahead and hike, I'll see you later!

This sounds like me!  Glad you got out moving...it takes effort with a little one in tow. ;)

It was so nice to meet (and in some cases re-meet) you all this weekend!

Thanks especially to F@45, Zikoris, and Goldielocks for your efforts and initiative. We should do this again (and hopefully we'll be blessed with the same stroke of good weather luck).

My pleasure, I will look at dates soon and throw out next year's date.  I had a blast and will be planning another one.  Thanks to everyone for making it awesome.

I had a great time too, it was awesome to put faces with names and hear the stories!  Thanks for organizing this event.

Thank you for keeping us stoked with fire.  It was great not to have to worry about that part.  Great to meet you!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
Thanks to the organizers for a great weekend!

If we didn't get the chance to trade contact info and you'd like to, please PM me.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Awesome event F@45. I am glad I made the effort to join.It was nice to meet a bunch of MMMers beyond the few local/MTB crew that I have met so far. Great choice of venues. Both nice for amenities and close to a lot of great stuff.

Thank you for putting in the effort to make it all happen. :)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks to the organizers for a great weekend!

If we didn't get the chance to trade contact info and you'd like to, please PM me.

For sure, no problem.  I'm one step removed now from meeting MMM himself ;)  Your event in Seattle sounds fantastic.  I'm really happy with this location and I'm interested to hear the feedback from others.  I think it would be hard to pick a better place that's more central to Seattle and Vancouver that offers outdoors and a reasonable price. 

Good to meet you!

Awesome event F@45. I am glad I made the effort to join.It was nice to meet a bunch of MMMers beyond the few local/MTB crew that I have met so far. Great choice of venues. Both nice for amenities and close to a lot of great stuff.

Thank you for putting in the effort to make it all happen. :)

And thanks to you for bringing the mountain bike stoke!  I had a blast riding 3.5 + hours with you ;)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
And thanks to you for bringing the mountain bike stoke!  I had a blast riding 3.5 + hours with you ;)

Next year I will come over on Friday to avoid that stupid early ferry and have an extra day of riding. We'll shoot for 9hrs of riding!

BTW - we were on the trail for 4.7hrs. Every minute counts. Even when you are lost trying to figure out where to go.  ;)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Pictures from the weekend

Free coffee, free tea, beautiful surroundings, outdoor activities and awesome people! 

^Overcast Friday

^A few people were brave enough to swim

^Next year I will get in a canoe

^I didn't thing @Zikoris was about luxury but she proved me wrong ;)

CascadeFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey everyone, great meeting so many of you for the first time. As we so clearly established, there isn't any one way that all of us prefer to keep in contact but I've created a Facebook group for this event (and hopefully many more to follow) at https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMMBellingham/

Also please feel free to add me on Facebook. I'm very rarely on here.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hey everyone, great meeting so many of you for the first time. As we so clearly established, there isn't any one way that all of us prefer to keep in contact but I've created a Facebook group for this event (and hopefully many more to follow) at https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMMBellingham/

Also please feel free to add me on Facebook. I'm very rarely on here.

Cool picture!  We should have done a full group shot like that one!

JustTrying

• Stubble
I had a great time with all of you! Thanks for organizing, @FIRE_at_45, and for lending me a stool!

Special thanks to PrincessPoppy (I just made up your handle name because I don't know it!) for saving the day by lending me a blanket. I would have been miserable without it!

@CascadeFire great idea to get a FB group! I just requested!

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wanted also to say thank you to @FIRE_at_45 for organizing this -- it was a blast! I really wish I could have joined for both days. It was incredible to hear your stories and get a chance to hang out together.

I was so occupied by talking to all the wonderful people that almost took no pictures. I created a shared album, feel free to add yours or let me know if you see your face there and don't like it and I'll remove it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KSuhJB6Vvwrk33HN8. I don't want the link hanging here in public access for too long, so I'll remove it in a couple of days. So if you'd like to keep the pictures, either download them or copy to your own Google Photos collection.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I had a great time with all of you! Thanks for organizing, @FIRE_at_45, and for lending me a stool!

Special thanks to PrincessPoppy (I just made up your handle name because I don't know it!) for saving the day by lending me a blanket. I would have been miserable without it!

@CascadeFire great idea to get a FB group! I just requested!

@JustTrying impressed with your resolve in the sleep training....that's a lesson for all parents....awesome and so necessary ;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
We had a blast up in the lodge! And the "Who can make the biggest vegan marshmallow?" campfire contest was hilarious. Much good conversation, food, and activities were had.

One funny thing that happened: practically every person in the lodge crew ended up going to Trader Joe's on their way to the camp. There were sooo many of those bags kicking around.

The division of labor in the lodge miraculously worked out very well - a lot of times in a group sharing space you end up with disputes and stuff over the "housekeeping" (dishes, cleanup, etc), but with our crew everything just sort of clicked, and everyone helped out. Office kitchens would be way less dramatic if everyone was like you guys.

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
We had a great time! Thanks a lot Fire@45 for organizing! We really want to do this again, maybe at the end of summer? :)

We had a blast up in the lodge! And the "Who can make the biggest vegan marshmallow?" campfire contest was hilarious. Much good conversation, food, and activities were had.

Giant vegan marshmallows have to be our new tradition!

By the way, as some of the last people to leave, we found two presumably lost items:
- A pair of sunglasses
- What looks like a child-sized set of red binoculars

If someone thinks one of these belong to them, give us a PM and we'll see what we can do!

Kiana & Bjorn
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:49:10 AM by bandk »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
What a terrific weekend and a perfect Saturday.   I loved meeting each and everyone.

My apologies for the person that tried to meet up with us on Saturday at Fragrance Lake trailhead.  I got lost and my phone broke Friday afternoon*, so no texting.  I arrived late and saw your car, so sorry.

*Good news, the repair shop is giving me a replacement loaner tomorrow, so I will be back in business until my phone parts come in.

A few people suggested that we rebook for the end of summer.  Early September (traditionally low rain!),  should be available and we can plan a few more group activities.   I may even get my DH to come.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I sent this response to Laura today:

Hi Laura,

Our group absolutely loved your campground.  I hope that you were happy with the group.  I think that everyone was very respectful.  It was a great group of people.

We are already starting to think about next year or potentially sooner so I'm sure I will be in touch.

Thanks again for your great customer service!

Fire_at_45

and she responded with this message:

You're so welcome, [Fire_at_45].  Everybody in your group was great.  We look forward to having your group come back again.

Take care,

Laura Ensch
Office Manager
Lutherwood Camp & Retreat Center
www.camplutherwood.org
office - 360 734 7652
fax - 360-734-7682

Thanks everyone for being so awesome and respectful of the campground...wouldn't expect anything less from mustachians ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:43:10 PM by FIRE_at_45 »

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
We had a great time! Thanks a lot Fire@45 for organizing! We really want to do this again, maybe at the end of summer? :)

Giant vegan marshmallows have to be our new tradition!

By the way, as some of the last people to leave, we found two presumably lost items:
- A pair of sunglasses
- What looks like a child-sized set of red binoculars

If someone thinks one of these belong to them, give us a PM and we'll see what we can do!

Kiana & Bjorn

You are welcome, it was great to meet you both...brave souls swimming ;)

I can confirm that the binoculars were there when I arrived and I was first so they are not from our group.  And I still have both pair of sunglasses.

I can't commit to anything in July or August and even September looks dicey for me but I'll think on it.  Also, I don't necessarily have to come.  When September comes I jump on a treadmill of kid activities that don't stop until December so it's hard to commit to much.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Following if you do another this summer (before mid September, hopefully headed to the Balkans).

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hi folks,

Nothing like planning far in advance but I have a very set schedule with my kids.  I won't plan it for a weekend when I have my kids simply because they typically have an activity they would not want to miss...I would love to bring them. 

So right now for me it looks like camping Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st.  I'll likely book that time in my personal calendar and then start a thread.

If someone wants to take on setting up something for September go for it!  I know the campground has spots for the Labour Day weekend and then beyond that date it's likely fairly open.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Hi folks,

Nothing like planning far in advance but I have a very set schedule with my kids.  I won't plan it for a weekend when I have my kids simply because they typically have an activity they would not want to miss...I would love to bring them. 

So right now for me it looks like camping Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st.  I'll likely book that time in my personal calendar and then start a thread.

If someone wants to take on setting up something for September go for it!  I know the campground has spots for the Labour Day weekend and then beyond that date it's likely fairly open.

OOOOH... would anyone be up for weekend after labor day?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I was thinking the same...

Duke3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks to the organizers and all who came!  Myself and the other guys had a great time meeting and just hanging out.
Drop a line if you're ever in Nanaimo

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
FYI -- I am enquiring about Sept 7/8 availability with Lutherwood, just in case we want to repeat.  I would be up for it, and for organizing a couple more group activities.  I can also likely book a rustic chalet in the woods with bunkbeds (for 40-60 persons) for cheap at Mount Seymour, Vancouver, so we have options.

People mentioned organizing a group dinner (potluck, most likely), and having a couple evening discussion topics and another afternoon Saturday optional group activity would be nice.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks to the organizers and all who came!  Myself and the other guys had a great time meeting and just hanging out.
Drop a line if you're ever in Nanaimo

Thank you, I will likely take you up on that as you are now the 4th person I 'know' in Nanaimo.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
FYI -- I am enquiring about Sept 7/8 availability with Lutherwood, just in case we want to repeat.  I would be up for it, and for organizing a couple more group activities.  I can also likely book a rustic chalet in the woods with bunkbeds (for 40-60 persons) for cheap at Mount Seymour, Vancouver, so we have options.

People mentioned organizing a group dinner (potluck, most likely), and having a couple evening discussion topics and another afternoon Saturday optional group activity would be nice.

@Goldielocks a group potluck is a cool idea.  Personally I'd stick with Lutherwood instead of Seymour just for logistics reasons.  We seemed to be split 50/50 with Canada/US and it's a long way from Seattle to Seymour.

Suggest starting a new thread if you set a new date.  I'll be following but not committing.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Link to new Thread, with possible future date for Sept 7-9, 2018.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-events/camp-mustache-bellingham-canadian-american-mmmers-unite!-sept-7-9-2018/

I am trying to make it a Camp Mustache event, but let's see how it evolves.  I need help with the organization to make it into a full event.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache