Author Topic: Vancouver & Seattle Meetup in Bellingham, Washington May 31st & June 1st, 2019.  (Read 3304 times)

Daisy

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1978
A Seattle-ite told me it is still raining in June that it is better to go after July 4th. Is this true?

What FIFoFum said.  There is risk of rain in the PNW at any time in the spring but it's likely to be reasonably warm.  The place is available and easy to book at this time of year.  They have a big building with tables, chairs, coffee, tea and fruit where people can hang out to get out the rain if that happens.  Most people in the PNW just buy a good raincoat and carry on normal activities ;)

Being from Florida, rain does not scare me. Especially the "wimpy" day long rain in the PNW.

I guess I was asking because I wanted to extend this trip to other parts of the PNW and want to see it in its splendor and not necessarily have to deal with rain. I have friends that live in the Seattle area and Oregon that I would like to visit. I also might want to hit some Canadian parks to use up my annual pass that expires in September. I already saw some of the parks in the fall this past year and ended up with snow. I want to see the PNW in its perfection.

The meetup sounds cool so I'd like to plan this all at the same time.

FIRE_at_45, what is this "raincoat" you speak of.  Soon you'll be mentioning the equally fictional "umbrella".  PNW's are waterproof :-)

Daisy,
There are things to see/do in the dry (Eastern) side of WA.   
Waterfall taller than Niagra (Palouse Falls). 
Former waterfall taller (400ft) and with ten times the flow of all the current rivers in the world combined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_Falls

The largest basalt flood basalt flows in N. America.  Slightly smaller in volume (175,000km3 than the Big Island of Hawaii (213,000 km3, per https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geosphere/article/9/5/1348/132675/modeling-volcano-growth-on-the-island-of-hawaii#14869475

And of course the famous hometown of markbike528cbx !!!   :-)

AND it is dry!

Thanks for the info!

My niece is graduating in Philadelphia in the middle of May and I am thinking it may be cool to take the train across the country to Seattle and be there for the meetup.

Is there still space in the cabin/lodge @Zikoris ?

By the way, is there a snoring section in the shared cabin? When I go camping with friends we have two adjacent sites, one for snorers and deep sleepers and one for the light sleepers/non-snorers.

I may fall in the deep sleeping/snoring camp, or so I have heard...

Zikoris

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3278
  • Age: 32
  • Location: Vancouver, BC
  • Vancouverstachian
Hey guys, so, bad news - Both lodges are taken that weekend already. I did ask them about other date combinations, and this is what is available for lodges around that time:

May 3 and 4 - both available
May 10 and 11 - both available
May 17 and 18 - Spirit available only (same one as last year)
May 25 and 26 - Spirit available only
June 7 and 8 - Lakeview available only

I didn't check for later than that, since I'll be in Japan.

@FIRE_at_45 do you want to change the dates, or have it be camping only without the lodge?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:24:52 PM by Zikoris »

FiveSigmas

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 464
Thanks for checking Zikoris. Id prefer to be in a lodge and would vote to reschedule. My May/June calendar is pretty wide open.

Zikoris

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3278
  • Age: 32
  • Location: Vancouver, BC
  • Vancouverstachian
Thanks for checking Zikoris. Id prefer to be in a lodge and would vote to reschedule. My May/June calendar is pretty wide open.

Yep, I will only do a lodge myself - my partner absolutely cannot camp, and I can only camp in very specific circumstances (i.e. other people provide everything and I just have to show up).

Cherry Lane

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1441
  • Age: 1
  • Location: Virginia
I'm fine with camping on the original date. If we are shifting, June 7-8 is the only other weekend that works for me.

JustTrying

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 210
I just realized I've got a schedule conflict and can't make it! I hope to see you all again some day!

Daisy

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1978
Renting this relocation RV might be cool to combine with the camping trip. One way from LA/LV/SF to Vancouver.

If sharing with someone, I guess it would have to be someone you know somewhat well.

https://www.jucyusa.com/jucy-perks/rv-relocation-specials/

FIRE_at_45

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 2109
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Hey guys, so, bad news - Both lodges are taken that weekend already. I did ask them about other date combinations, and this is what is available for lodges around that time:

May 3 and 4 - both available
May 10 and 11 - both available
May 17 and 18 - Spirit available only (same one as last year)
May 25 and 26 - Spirit available only
June 7 and 8 - Lakeview available only

I didn't check for later than that, since I'll be in Japan.

@FIRE_at_45 do you want to change the dates, or have it be camping only without the lodge?

I'm checking that the camping is still available for the original weekend and then I will check for interest in camping only.  I booked the date based on my own calendar and responsibilities with my children (they are in sports every weekend so bringing them is not an option).

Cheers!

FIRE_at_45

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 2109
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
@Zikoris I contacted the office today and Sarah Arse says that the Lakeview Lodge is available.

Quote
Lakeview lodge has 11 beds 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room and a kitchen at the rate of $225 a night.

I'm not sure who you were speaking with but maybe there was a cancellation for May 31/June 1?   Are you still interested in booking it?  If you call tomorrow please ask her about campground availability.

Cheers!

Zikoris

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3278
  • Age: 32
  • Location: Vancouver, BC
  • Vancouverstachian
@Zikoris I contacted the office today and Sarah Arse says that the Lakeview Lodge is available.

Quote
Lakeview lodge has 11 beds 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room and a kitchen at the rate of $225 a night.

I'm not sure who you were speaking with but maybe there was a cancellation for May 31/June 1?   Are you still interested in booking it?  If you call tomorrow please ask her about campground availability.

Cheers!

Yeah, there was some confusion about that when I talked to them as well, because it's free for one of the days but not the other - it's free May 31st, but not June 1st, and at first she mistakenly thought I only wanted it for the one night. A different group has it booked for the Saturday and Sunday (but not the Friday).

FIRE_at_45

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 2109
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Hi everyone,

It turns out that they had made a mistake in their wording back to me on the lodge.  There are no lodges available for both Friday and Saturday nights.  It also appears that the campground is filling up.  This is the opposite of last year where we had the entire place to ourselves. 

I picked this date based on my own personal calendar that is based on being a single date half the time and not available.

I just went back through the list of people.  I feel like we need 10 people who are committed to make this think happen.  I'll give it until March 25th.  If we don't have 10 by then I think we either try again next year or someone can try another date.

@FIFoFum
@Nikita
@v8rx7guy
@FiveSigmas
@Aggie1994
@Goldielocks
@imustachemystash
@ms.Stash

^the above have all expressed interest.  Please confirm if you are in or out. 

Cheers! 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:49:34 PM by FIRE_at_45 »

FiveSigmas

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 464
Thanks for double checking on the lodges F45. Im afraid Im out.

FIFoFum

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1819
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
Right now, I'm in. But I'd rate my certainty at 75% yes, and I'm likely to get info prior to or around 3/25 that will let me adjust that certainty. So I'll be sure to check here and update.

I'm also paging @Cherry Lane who was planning to be in town for this.

v8rx7guy

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1123
  • Location: Bellingham, WA
I am planning on it and will bring the firewood again!

Cherry Lane

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1441
  • Age: 1
  • Location: Virginia
I just went back through the list of people.  I feel like we need 10 people who are committed to make this think happen.  I'll give it until March 25th.  If we don't have 10 by then I think we either try again next year or someone can try another date.
I'm also paging @Cherry Lane who was planning to be in town for this.

Don't count on me to meet your minimum number.  I'll be in the general vicinity but I'm still narrowing down specifically where I'll be when.

shadowmoss

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1012
Probably not going to make it.  I decided I n3es to trim my travel budget this summer

imustachemystash

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Age: 38
  • Location: Seattle
I'm still in.