Author Topic: Twin Cities  (Read 115358 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Twin Cities
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
Since you're in Whittier, if you like jazz check out the Icehouse.

PursuingIndependence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
This is way in advance, but would anyone like to help me plan a Twin Cities meetup (or multiple) in early September 2016?

Hi Sir Manatee. I'd be happy to help plan/provide a spot for a meetup. My BF might even be back to home brewing by then. We ended up in Richfield, which is a suburb directly south of Minneapolis and to the east of Edina. We were looking in S Minneapolis initially but Richfield was a bit more affordable than SW Minneapolis and allowed us to get a little further from the airport than SE Minneapolis. This location has been ideal for us, as we are within walking distance to grocery stores and the library and are still within easy biking distance to a lot of Minneapolis fun as well. I have been thinking about going car free as I switched to a company in Richfield and I think it is possible in a lot of areas, depends on whether/where you work and live.

As to suggestions I have quite a few. One of them would be Surly as they opened their brew hall and have sour beers on tap, which I appreciate. I have a google map I set up of restaurants and bars that my boyfriend and I have went to/want to go. I'd be happy to share it if you are interested.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »
I'd be down for a mustache meetup at Surly!  I'm pretty booked through the end of June, but how does late June or July work for people?

PursuingIndependence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Cromacster - cute dog! We'd be up for Surly then as well. Our current schedules are pretty much open for late June and July, except mid-July.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Cromacster - cute dog! We'd be up for Surly then as well. Our current schedules are pretty much open for late June and July, except mid-July.

I think the goal was to shoot for when SirManatee is in town in September, but would people be interested in a sooner one as well?  September is a ways off.

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
I have a google map I set up of restaurants and bars that my boyfriend and I have went to/want to go. I'd be happy to share it if you are interested.

Consider me 100% interested! And thank you for the offer to help plan a meetup over our stay, I really appreciate it!

Surly and Richfield are on our must-visit list now. I was only able to research Richfield briefly but it seems to have apartments in our price range, and I love that there's an Aldi. If it's walkable and bikeable, I think it could work for us. Thank you for the tip!

Oh and everyone please feel free to plan more meetups before September! I know it's far off, just wanted to gauge interest and get a few suggestions to start our itinerary.

PursuingIndependence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »

I think the goal was to shoot for when SirManatee is in town in September, but would people be interested in a sooner one as well?  September is a ways off.

Good note druth, I wasn't quite clear in that particular post. We are up for sometime in June/July as well as a meetup in September. Have to enjoy summer while we can and as you noted, September is far off.

I have a google map I set up of restaurants and bars that my boyfriend and I have went to/want to go. I'd be happy to share it if you are interested.

Consider me 100% interested! And thank you for the offer to help plan a meetup over our stay, I really appreciate it!

Surly and Richfield are on our must-visit list now. I was only able to research Richfield briefly but it seems to have apartments in our price range, and I love that there's an Aldi. If it's walkable and bikeable, I think it could work for us. Thank you for the tip!

Oh and everyone please feel free to plan more meetups before September! I know it's far off, just wanted to gauge interest and get a few suggestions to start our itinerary.

I'll figure out how to share a google map again then. I feel in love with google maps after the BF used it as a planning tool for our vacations.

I love having quick access to an Aldi as well. There is also a Trader Joes, Cub, Target, and Sams Club around as well, which is helpful since I've never managed to get everything on my list at Aldi. I would think that public transit is better in Minneapolis but I have been focusing on biking and walking to places. And it works pretty well when I don't use the car as a crutch.

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
Good note druth, I wasn't quite clear in that particular post. We are up for sometime in June/July as well as a meetup in September. Have to enjoy summer while we can and as you noted, September is far off.

Hey, I would be willing to help organize a meetup in June or July. In order to gauge interest, I'm going to make a Doodle. Please mark weekends you would like to meet. I've added the option for every saturday in june and july. http://doodle.com/poll/qm3edasf85482pxi

The coolest neighborhood in my opinion is south minneapolis/midtown.  It is close to everything and full of good food and bike paths.

Darn right!! And don't forget the B grade produce at midtown global market :)

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #308 on: June 03, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
Ok, it looks like Saturday June 18 is the best day. Bar or potluck in a park? Any location requests?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #309 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
Not a location request, but I'm coming back on a flight at 2PM that day, so after that would be good for me if that isn't a burden on anybody else (I see the doodle says 6PM, but just in case).  Also thanks for organizing Forest!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:02:36 PM by druth »

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #310 on: June 05, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »
Ok, I created a google+ event page, decided to make it a potluck: https://plus.google.com/events/csfsqkv8f54boqg6cd7k5p686k8, please indicate if you wanna come, and if you know of something that you would like to bring, post it on the event page.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »
Oh darn, something has come up since I said I was available June 18 so I won't be able to make it. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

alarswilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
Anybody interested in a meet up in the near future? We're new to town and looking for mutual scheming and support. Our current location is in Saint Paul, Hamline-Midway/Mac-Groveland. Andrew

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »
I'm definitely interested in a meet up! Especially while we've got this nice fall weather.

Mrs. Rogue and I bought our house in Richfield last year, but we've been in the area for a while.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »
I'm be game with meeting up.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: October 20, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
Count me in, too.  I've been casually monitoring the forum in general for a few years; never thought to look into a Twin Cities subgroup.  I'd love to be a part of any coming meet-ups! 

Foxy Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: October 20, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »
Yes please! I'm a first time forum-poster, but I've been gobbling up Mustashianism for several months now. I would love to meet up with like-minded people. I live on the University of Minnesota Campus, so as far as the two downtowns, St. Paul and Minneapolis, I'm fairly central. If there's interest in coming hear or if anyone wants to give a different idea I would love to meet up before the snow sets in. :D Good vibes to you all.

deeshen13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: November 01, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
I'm all in for a Twin Cities meet up.

Been active on this forum for a year or two but didn't dawn on me to check Minneapolis for a meet up thread! Well here I am now.

Anyone else think Minneapolis is an awesome mustachian location?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
I would love to have a meetup, does anyone have the energy/time to organize it?

For the next month I believe I'm free nearly all Friday's and Sundays and am flexible on location. I live in Roseville, but am willing to drive a little distance if it helps ensure someone else can attend.

alarswilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
I'd be interested in a meet up, to. Fridays are fine, usually, but not the 18th of Nov.

Junto Club Gardener

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »
I am interested as well.  Black Friday (November 25th) seems appropriate. 

alarswilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
The 25th could work for us. We will definitely not be shopping. Our place is out, I'm afraid, but any takers?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »
If I'm in town then sure, there's a chance I might be heading up north for turkey weekend.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
Nov 25th should work for me, though my house will be unavailable.

Do we just bite the anti-mustachian bullet and meet at a bar/pub/restaurant?   

Or we could meet in a covered space in park in the cold and people could bring warm beverages for themselves or to share??

Foxy Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #324 on: November 16, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
The 25th might work for me. I think I mentioned earlier that I'm currently at school on the University of Minnesota campus, but I would love to make my way somewhere to meet with ya'll.

We could always meet near me if there's interest (campus is central to the twin cities). I wouldn't be able to really host well, but we could do the 'bring-your-own-drink' type deal.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »
I might be willing to host at my house in Roseville on the 25th, depending on whether or not my roommate is ok with it. It would be a strict BYOB as I don't currently drink, but I might be open to brewing some tea (esp if you like white tea as I have a ton that I barely use).

I will need a heads up on the number coming and would prefer not to post my address on here so I'll need attendees' numbers (PM me) so I can text them my address.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2016, 08:33:57 AM »
MgoSam - How's it looking for Friday? If it's still on, is there a time range?

I'm free earlier in the afternoon, but would have to leave by 4:00.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
Hey,

It turns out I can't host, my roommate has asked to have people over on Friday and not knowing if there were multiple interested.

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
Another time then. 

I wish I could formally organize something, but DW and I are expecting our first kid this month, so plans are tricky right now.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: January 01, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
New Year Meet Up!

I am back in the Twin Cities and would love to have an MMM meet up.

I am in the western suburbs. Very flexible schedule.

KL2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
Seems like a lot of missed opportunities here. Either because of timing, cost or something else.

It looks like doodle, Google and meetup.com were looked into. How about a secret Facebook group, with the link here? Once there, we can make events in the group, which should help with the issue of notifications and reply speed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »
I like your idea!

ABWindfall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
I'm very interested in a mustachian meet up!

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
I thought we were just being good Minnesotans:

"Hey, we should get together sometime!"

"Yeah, definitely!"

And then off we go on our separate ways.   :)

DDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Why buy new when extremely used will do.
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »
I like the facebook group idea as well.  If nothing else, I am guessing we all have some valuable knowledge and skills to trade.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
I thought we were just being good Minnesotans:

"Hey, we should get together sometime!"

"Yeah, definitely!"

And then off we go on our separate ways.   :)

Haha I'm so guilty of this in so many areas of my social interactions.

Just to be a little proactive:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1266432456757499/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:22:43 AM by Cromacster »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
"Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

Can you make sure it's publicly visible?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
How bout now?

If that doesn't work, just PM me your email address

DDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Why buy new when extremely used will do.
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Works great. I am in.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
Yup, works just fine now.  Thanks for taking initiative!

bakfiets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #340 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Group looks to be 11 strong and if I'm accepted I'll be lucky number 12!!!  I Live in SW Mpls. 

morgrw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #341 on: January 25, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
Hi all, I'm currently living in Chicago, but about to close on a house in the Victory neighborhood of Minneapolis. I plan to be back and forth from MN to IL for a bit for my job, but eventually land full time in MN. It would be great to start to connect with frugal fellows in the cities now. I'm a MN native so I get the joke about being good Minnesotans, but I'd be up for hosting a get together once I'm settled. I'll also be looking to rent two rooms in the house, starting April . It's a 3 bed, 2 bath with a nice patio and fenced yard. I'm open to dog roomies. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Oh, and I don't use Facebook, so if a meet up is scheduled, could someone post it in here too?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:52:05 PM by morgrw »

Hawgfan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
My wife grew up in St Paul.  We will be there for a couple of weeks in July.  Planning to rent a house so she and the kids can spend time with family.  As we get closer I will schedule a meet up somewhere near Grand Ave. 

I live in Bentonville, AR, and have connected here with a mustachian.  He a great guy and we stay in touch.  I would love to meet up with a bigger group in MSP.  More to come...

Thanks-
Jim

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
For those not on Facebook, there is a meetup scheduled for Friday 5/19 at 6PM at Hard Times Cafe in Minneapolis, near the West Bank.  FYI the restaurant is cash only.

sai83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:57 AM »
Hi

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: June 30, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
Hey Twin Cities folks! Some of you, I think, know me from the Journals section.

I'm coming to Minneapolis for a personal finance conference in July - and I'd love to organize a mustachian meetup while I'm there - I'm free from the conference on Saturday July 29th and Wednesday August 2nd. I'm staying in Powderhorn but am happy to go anywhere I can get to on a bicycle (far). Park, potluck, something mustachian, with perhaps optional karaoke?

Are folks into helping make this happen - suggesting a good place? I haven't been to the Twin Cities in ~10 years so I'm eager to see it again!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #346 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
I wish I had more money and time. I'd love to go to the Twin Cities again, and meet more people.

Fidgiegirl has a small AirBnB suite in her basement, in a lovely and convenient neighbourhood (as far as I could tell in my short visit) in St. Paul. And she's just wonderful. In case anyone is looking for accommodation. (I have no idea how booked up her place is.)

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2017, 06:32:05 PM »

I'm coming to Minneapolis for a personal finance conference in July - and I'd love to organize a mustachian meetup while I'm there - I'm free from the conference on Saturday July 29th and Wednesday August 2nd. I'm staying in Powderhorn but am happy to go anywhere I can get to on a bicycle (far). Park, potluck, something mustachian, with perhaps optional karaoke?

Are folks into helping make this happen - suggesting a good place? I haven't been to the Twin Cities in ~10 years so I'm eager to see it again!

You should join the Facebook group, it's much more active and we have been planning events there.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2017, 06:52:29 PM »

You should join the Facebook group, it's much more active and we have been planning events there.

Let me in? I just submitted a request to join!

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: July 28, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
For those not in the Facebook group, we're trying to get a last minute meetup going for tomorrow:

Saturday July 29th, 1:30pm at May Day Cafe (3440 Bloomington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55407)