Author Topic: Twin Cities  (Read 115362 times)

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Twin Cities
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
Hats off to the Hermansons for their hospitality this evening! It was fun to see you again and meet some more local Mustachians. Cheers!

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »
Thank you Nate & Shannon for hosting the Twin Cities Meet up. We had lots of fun! We hope to meet up again in the future. It was great to meet everyone.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
Thanks to Nate for organizing all these. They really are an awesome idea and I apologize for bailing. My only excuse is that I had the opportunity to do nothing/sleep, and while that sounds super lame, it's something my toddler doesn't let me do a lot/ever and it was glorious.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »
Posting to follow.  Live in Southern California but have deep family roots and spend extended visits in Minneapolis and the region.

Infinite Monkeys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
Hi All!  Just moved (back) to Minneapolis, partly because of its mustachianness.  Any meetups coming up? 

Very likely too short notice for most, but Merlin's Rest has free Irish music Fridays, theoretically at dusk, but in fact when the musicians become sufficiently lubricated, my guess around 9-10pm.  Late for many, but very mustachian. Warning.  Some nights there seems to be a bagpipe.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
I would be open for having a meetup soonish. Merlin's Rest works, or how about Lake Harriet Brewery? I'm down for wherever, it just depends on the time and date.

MJB MPLS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
Wondering if any of my fearless TC mustachians is up for a gathering later this month? Uptown seems pretty centrally located - maybe Herkimer off of Lyndale? Feel free to email me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
Depends on the day, my November is fairly busy, mostly due to Thanksgiving. I know that all of my Saturdays with the possible exception of the 28th. If this stands, I would be open to meeting that night.

Also the 20th (Friday) might work for me.

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Yes!  But unfortunately my ex husband's schedule is variable so need to play it by ear due to child care needs. 

catybird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm a brand-spankin' new Mustachian. I'm near the University of Minnesota, and I'm available for a meet-up Thursday-Sunday nights. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Cate

sea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »
I'm new to the forum too and would love to meet some Mustachians. 

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
I live in uptown and would be up for meeting anywhere on lyndale or south minneapolis!

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2015, 01:26:23 PM »
We've been meaning to check out the Twin Cities since I moved to the midwest

Probably am available this weekend and the next, let us know so we can plan (it's a bit of a drive from Cedar Rapids :)

Thanks,

Chops

Macharius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm another new MMM reader.  If anyone works in downtown Minneapolis, I'd be happy to meet for lunch sometime.  Otherwise, my family and I are moving to Woodbury next spring with a nice, long list of projects for me to work on in my non-existent spare time.

funcomesfirst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »
We live in South Minneapolis.  Definitely interested in a meet up at a park sometime when it's not freezing out!

fabdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I live in the south west of Minneapolis and would be available to meet some other mustachians like minded people. Feel free to email me.

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
I've been living in south Minneapolis for about a year now. I'd love to meet some of you folks. I can't really offer to host at my house since I share it with lots of other people, but I would be fine with going to a bar or someone else's home.

If anyone works in downtown Minneapolis, I'd be happy to meet for lunch sometime.

I also work in downtown, I would do this too. We could do it mustachian-style: Find a place to sit down in the skywalk and bring our tupperwares from home :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:12:14 AM by forestj »

Mackie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
Hey all, so glad I found out where some of my peeps are. I'm new to the cities and live in downtown Saint Paul. I'd love to get together with others but somewhere near light rail would be best as I am car freeeee!

1000Destinations

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
Hello all, live in the burbs south of Minneapolis but am working downtown (via the bus and walking of course :).  Would like to get together with fellow mustachians.  Have recently RE'd but am working very part time downtown to pay for extra overseas travel.

trailperson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
Hey all, so glad I found out where some of my peeps are. I'm new to the cities and live in downtown Saint Paul. I'd love to get together with others but somewhere near light rail would be best as I am car freeeee!

There are others?! I've lived here car free for two years and I don't think I've encountered anyone else who doesn't own a car.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »

There are others?! I've lived here car free for two years and I don't think I've encountered anyone else who doesn't own a car.

I know someone. She pays a lot more in rent than she prefers, but lives in a great area and can walk to pick up groceries, go to work, and most everything she wants to do. I don't know if she's compared the numbers, but I'm guessing that even with the higher rent she pays, she comes way ahead than if she lived somewhere cheaper, but had to have a car. She does rely on rides though for some outings, but that's what friends are for and I'm guessing that she's found a way to make it work as she's been without a car for a few years and has no plans to change that.

I'm glad that you are happy without having a car, keep it up.

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »
I know at least a couple off the top of my head who are car free, both in South Mpls.  One is a single mom with an 8 yr. old and they tandem bike! 

SDD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
Hi all, another Twin Cities stache here. Live north of St Paul about 40 minutes but "in town" often. Would love to meet up for a beer with some like-minded peeps.

40pair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
Currently living 10 min west of downtown Mpls, grad student at the U. Would love to meet some like-minded locals! Have a car, but many of my friends don't, so I love to be helpful by occasionally providing rides.

It seems somewhat difficult to organize events directly through this forum. Does anyone know of Mpls Mustachian groups on Facebook or Meetup?

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »
Currently living 10 min west of downtown Mpls, grad student at the U. Would love to meet some like-minded locals! Have a car, but many of my friends don't, so I love to be helpful by occasionally providing rides.

It seems somewhat difficult to organize events directly through this forum. Does anyone know of Mpls Mustachian groups on Facebook or Meetup?

I don't know of any Facebook/Meetup groups, but I've only been following for the last few months.

Psyche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
I live in SD, but occasionally make it to the Twin Cities, so might be able to join a meetup... especially if there will be any in mid to late March.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »
There are quite a few people that follow this thread (and receive notification). I'm in for a meetup, I'm open-minded on locations, but may I recommend three dates?

Sunday March 13
Saturday March 19
Sunday March 20

Psyche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2016, 05:28:20 AM »
I could do the 19th or 20th!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
Merlin's Rest might be a good choice.  They're not especially cheap or anything, but neither are they expensive.  Just a good neighborhood pub.  And it's easy to get to by bus or by car, and it's centrally located on Lake Street, just across the river from St. Paul.

http://merlinsrest.com/

oh yes, if it's at Merlin's I'm IN for sure

Oh my! just realized I'm behind the times on this thread. I'm free on Sundays this month, just let me know when and where.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:43:25 AM by Parizade »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
So are we on for meeting at Merlin's this Sunday? I would be open to meeting around noon or 1.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
I'm going to assume we aren't. Perhaps another time in the near future we can meetup.

Psyche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
Sorry today did not work out! 
It's a very long drive for me, so I'll just keep waiting to be sure an event is going to happen before I try to join in...

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: March 24, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
Following

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
Hey all, never been to the Twin Cities but my wife and I are planning to take a Mustachian vacation up there around Labor Day 2016 (September 3rd-9th, roughly).

We'd love to meet up with other Mustachians during our visit! We're currently working and saving in Evansville, IN but think the Twin Cities could be a great option for us to live when we're FIREd in a few years.

If you have any tips on potential Mustachian neighborhoods for us to scout out while we're in town, or any other places/activities to check out, we'd really appreciate it! It can be anything; breweries, parks, volunteer opportunities, whatever. We're open to new stuff. Thanks!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: March 24, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Hey all, never been to the Twin Cities but my wife and I are planning to take a Mustachian vacation up there around Labor Day 2016 (September 3rd-9th, roughly).

We'd love to meet up with other Mustachians during our visit! We're currently working and saving in Evansville, IN but think the Twin Cities could be a great option for us to live when we're FIREd in a few years.

If you have any tips on potential Mustachian neighborhoods for us to scout out while we're in town, or any other places/activities to check out, we'd really appreciate it! It can be anything; breweries, parks, volunteer opportunities, whatever. We're open to new stuff. Thanks!

Could you give any more details?  Sounds like you want to live in the city?  I live in Hamline Midway, which is 'up and coming' (read: a little ghetto), but that means it's cheap!  It's also perfectly safe, and has a lot of much older houses that are smaller and more affordable than what's available in some other neighborhoods, and has  a lot of easy bike/walk access to necessities and to transit lines.  In general St Paul is cheaper than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is 'cooler'.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:02:27 PM by druth »

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: March 24, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
Could you give any more details?  Sounds like you want to live in the city?  I live in Hamline Midway, which is 'up and coming' (read: a little ghetto), but that means it's cheap!  It's also perfectly safe, and has a lot of much older houses that are smaller and more affordable than what's available in some other neighborhoods, and has  a lot of easy bike/walk access to necessities and to transit lines.  In general St Paul is cheaper than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is 'cooler'.

Thanks, that's helpful!

Yeah, the Twin Cities are at the top of our "livable cities" list because the area seems to meet most of our criteria: 
  • Bikeable and walkable, with public transit as a bonus (ideally we'd have no car)
  • Nearby parks, trails, nature
  • Aldi! Or similar discount grocery store. But I seriously love Aldi.
  • Extensive library system
  • Within roughly 30-60 minute drive (or public transit ride) to major airport
  • Liberal/secular communities, nonprofits, and volunteer opportunities
  • Within half-day travel to family near Chicago
  • General city amenities, e.g. free community events and classes, high concentration of people using services like Craigslist for used goods, concerts and festivals, virtually infinite selection of craft beers, and so on
  • Housing in the $800-$1200 per month range for 1-2 bedrooms (we expect to be renting for many years)
  • Sizeable market for multi-family homes if we decide to invest in rental property
If any of that does not describe the Twin Cities area, please feel free to correct my ignorance or suggest alternative cities. As I said, I've never actually been there. We're eager to learn more about our options!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:53:53 PM by SirManatee »

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: March 24, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »

Thanks, that's helpful!

Yeah, the Twin Cities are at the top of our "livable cities" list because the area seems to meet most of our criteria: 
  • Bikeable and walkable, with public transit as a bonus (ideally we'd have no car)
  • General city amenities, e.g. free community events and classes, high concentration of people using services like Craigslist for used goods, concerts and festivals, virtually infinite selection of craft beers, and so on
  • Housing in the $800-$1200 per month range for 1-2 bedrooms (we expect to be renting for many years)
  • Sizeable market for multi-family homes if we decide to invest in rental property
If any of that does not describe the Twin Cities area, please feel free to correct my ignorance or suggest alternative cities. As I said, I've never actually been there. We're eager to learn more about our options!

Check. Check. Check. Check. ...all good

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »

Thanks, that's helpful!

and the Arts, don't forget the Arts!

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »

and the Arts, don't forget the Arts!

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. It's a relief to hear from locals that we're not totally unreasonable in our expectations. So excited to visit in September!

sea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »

I know someone. She pays a lot more in rent than she prefers, but lives in a great area and can walk to pick up groceries, go to work, and most everything she wants to do. I don't know if she's compared the numbers, but I'm guessing that even with the higher rent she pays, she comes way ahead than if she lived somewhere cheaper, but had to have a car. She does rely on rides though for some outings, but that's what friends are for and I'm guessing that she's found a way to make it work as she's been without a car for a few years and has no plans to change that.

I'm glad that you are happy without having a car, keep it up.

I've been car-free since 2009 and back in the Twin Cities since 2012.  People have serious attitudes about being car-free though.  It's so embedded as a cultural norm as a source of "freedom".  I don't think I spend any more time waiting for transit then people do scraping off their cars in the winter either.  I also don't think it's any reason necessarily to spend more on rent unless you happen to want to pay for the convenience of walking to work.  Do people not know about Walk Score in general?

sea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2016, 02:18:17 PM »

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. It's a relief to hear from locals that we're not totally unreasonable in our expectations. So excited to visit in September!

I would also visit in January/February to make sure you can handle the more nuanced Minnesotan definition of winter.  :) 

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
I would also visit in January/February to make sure you can handle the more nuanced Minnesotan definition of winter.  :)

Noted! That's in the plans if we love what we see this fall.

And I'm encouraged to hear from people living car-free in the Twin Cities; that's a definite goal for me.

sea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

Noted! That's in the plans if we love what we see this fall.

And I'm encouraged to hear from people living car-free in the Twin Cities; that's a definite goal for me.

I'll bet you guys will love it, the Twin Cities is a great place to live overall.  The main drawbacks are (1) the winters are too hardcore for some people (2) it gets sprawl-y with the metro area  (3) it can be harder to meet people/get past the acquaintance stage than other areas.

But (3) may be easier if there's a Twin Cities MMM meetup again.
+1 for a location on the green line. 

Amosla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Go Gophers!
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
Anyone going to Minnebar at Best Buy this weekend? There are a few kind of "mustachian" sessions there.

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
This is way in advance, but would anyone like to help me plan a Twin Cities meetup (or multiple) in early September 2016?

My wife and I have just booked our trip, we'll be in town from Sunday 9/4 to Friday 9/9; we'd love to meet any Mustachians and learn what it's like to live in the area!

I've never been to the Twin Cities, so all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
Sir Manatee,

I'm not sure what our schedule will look like in September, but if I'm available it would be great to have a get together somewhere while you're in town.

As far as things to do, I'd strongly recommend renting a NiceRide (bike share bike) and riding along some of the bike paths and neighborhoods in the metro.  https://www.niceridemn.org/  I'd check out neighborhoods you're interested in to get a feel for the vibe there.  Uptown tends to have a more young professional hang-out vibe, downtown Saint Paul pretty much rolls up the sidewalk at 6pm, Northeast Minneapolis is cool artist/brewer/craftsman feel, etc.

There's a lot of cool stuff to see and do, but if you're looking at it for a place to live, I'd think about the things you like to do regularly and do those.  If that's take walks by a lake, then check out some of the lakes.  If its peruse the library, then head to the library in the neighborhood.  I guess instead of looking at it from a tourist, think like a local.  Check out the grocery store options (several co-ops, big grocery chain Cub foods, Aldi, specialty stores (butcher), etc.). 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
I highly recommend going to Minnehaha Falls. If you like seafood Sea Salt is a great place to eat, or so I'm told (haven't been there). It's a beautiful area to walk or bike.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
I have lived in minneapolis for over 20 years.  The coolest neighborhood in my opinion is south minneapolis/midtown.  It is close to everything and full of good food and bike paths.  I would recommend going to the midtown global market and drinking some kombucha beer @ the east lake brewery. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
If you're going to be biking a lot, I'd try renting a bike from a local bike shop, like Freewheel in Minneapolis. The Nice Ride bikes are fine for short trips but difficult to ride compared to a regular road bike or mountain bike.

SirManatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #299 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »
Thank you all for the replies!

It was our plan from the start to try to live like locals during our stay, so we're on the same page, jda1984! Our aim is to spend a big chunk of our time checking out neighborhood parks, trails, libraries, groceries, and such. I hope we'll get to explore several areas of the city!

Our AirBnB is in Whittier, near the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, but we'll have our car and will be able to get anywhere in the city. I'm glad we'll be close to Midtown though, it sounds like a great spot! And Minnehaha Falls is a must.

And we're definitely planning on using the Nice Ride system; thanks merula for the tip that they may not be great for long trips, that's helpful for planning our excursions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!