Author Topic: Toronto Community/Meetup Discussion Thread  (Read 482016 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Toronto Community/Meetup Discussion Thread
« Reply #650 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:37 AM »
January 17th, I'll be in town for this event: Biking Beyond Downtown it's hard to get a thursday night for me, but if I'm already around, then I can just pop over to wherever you guys are.

@SnakesintheGrass - are you going to the Beyond Downtown thing too? If I see A. there, I'll say hi.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:18:38 PM by Le Poisson »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #651 on: December 20, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
Right now I can get the party room the evenings of Jan 7, 8, 9, and 10.  For those interested in the potluck, which nights work best for you?  I'm on the subway line, midtown. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #652 on: December 21, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Right now I can get the party room the evenings of Jan 7, 8, 9, and 10.  For those interested in the potluck, which nights work best for you?  I'm on the subway line, midtown.
7th and 8th are good
9th is ~ ok
10th no good

anarchie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #653 on: December 24, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
7th - Nope
8th - Yes
9th - Could make it work
10th - Yes

MrBurger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: December 26, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
Hi There,
I'd be interested in meeting up too with other like minded folks in Toronto! I've been a long-time forum lurker and follower of mmm for past couple years.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #655 on: December 29, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
7th and 8th are good
9th is ~ ok
10th no good
7th - Nope
8th - Yes
9th - Could make it work
10th - Yes

Bat-signalling some of the usual suspects/past attendees.  Should we do a MMMeet up in the first few weeks of January?  It doesn't gave to be my neighbourhood; chime in with what works for you!  :)

@plainjane @Le Poisson @ElleFiji @avrex @SnakesintheGrass @gotchad  @Michalit20  @tomatops @csr @Tigermom   @redwagon   @Wanderer @tomita

(Please bat-signal anyone I've forgotten to include!)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:50:22 PM by okits »

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #656 on: December 30, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »
7th and 8th are good
9th is ~ ok
10th no good
7th - Nope
8th - Yes
9th - Could make it work
10th - Yes

Bat-signalling some of the usual suspects/past attendees.  Should we do a MMMeet up in the first few weeks of January?  It doesn't gave to be my neighbourhood; chime in with what works for you!  :)

@plainjane @Le Poisson @ElleFiji @avrex @SnakesintheGrass @gotchad  @Michalit20  @tomatops @csr @Tigermom   @redwagon   @Wanderer @tomita

I'd be up for Jan 9 and may be able to make any of the other nights work too. Your place was a good spot (and you are a great host!)

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #657 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »

Enjoy! Unfortunately, I can't attend but please keep an ear open for anybody interested in a daytime or kid friendly meetup in the new year. Thanks!

I like this idea. Let me know what you are thinking, or anyone else.
Couple ideas off the top of my head:

Up north-ish, Markham museum is an open air museum (old buildings from when it was rural and not a suburb), open during the day, and I believe the admission price includes snow shoes to use around the property. They have snowshows for adults and kids. The admission sounds cheap compared to renting or buying snowshows. I don't know when there is enough snow accumulation to make this possible.

Threre is an indoor playground/gymnasium in Leslieville called sprouts. First visit is free (one free visit per family). Other spots like that?
The snowshoeing sounds fun once there is enough snow.

I haven't been to Sprouts place but sounds like an option depending on kid ages. Another place I just recently went was Cherry Street YMCA. They have a great indoor play structure. I think non members can get a day pass or be guests (not sure how that works but I can find out) and they always have a non committal free 2 week trial for anyone that wants to scope out their facilities. The place is new, clean, and I'm told not too busy outside of afterschool and Sunday afternoon closures for birthdays.

Day drinking/legal intoxicant of choice?
Yes :)

Hopefully will see you guys at next meetup and maybe we can plan something.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #658 on: December 30, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
I'm already going to bein town on the 17th, and multiple trips into the big city so close together are traditionally difficult. plan assuming that I will not be there, but if circumstances allow, I'll make the trip.

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #659 on: December 30, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »

Enjoy! Unfortunately, I can't attend but please keep an ear open for anybody interested in a daytime or kid friendly meetup in the new year. Thanks!

I like this idea. Let me know what you are thinking, or anyone else.
Couple ideas off the top of my head:

Up north-ish, Markham museum is an open air museum (old buildings from when it was rural and not a suburb), open during the day, and I believe the admission price includes snow shoes to use around the property. They have snowshows for adults and kids. The admission sounds cheap compared to renting or buying snowshows. I don't know when there is enough snow accumulation to make this possible.

Threre is an indoor playground/gymnasium in Leslieville called sprouts. First visit is free (one free visit per family). Other spots like that?
The snowshoeing sounds fun once there is enough snow.

I haven't been to Sprouts place but sounds like an option depending on kid ages. Another place I just recently went was Cherry Street YMCA. They have a great indoor play structure. I think non members can get a day pass or be guests (not sure how that works but I can find out) and they always have a non committal free 2 week trial for anyone that wants to scope out their facilities. The place is new, clean, and I'm told not too busy outside of afterschool and Sunday afternoon closures for birthdays.

Totally slipped my mind - Evergreen Brickworks and Ontario Place are of course free and fun outdoor (with winter warm up areas) kid friendly spots as well!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #660 on: December 30, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
7th and 8th are good
9th is ~ ok
10th no good
7th - Nope
8th - Yes
9th - Could make it work
10th - Yes

I'd be up for Jan 9 and may be able to make any of the other nights work too. Your place was a good spot (and you are a great host!)

I was able to get the room for Tue Jan 8.  👍  I need to double-check seating but estimate there's space for about 15 people to eat.  There's also a stove, oven, and microwave for anything that needs re-heating.

I'll provide (paper) plates, (real) cutlery, napkins, (plastic) cups and some sort of slow-cooker main (haven't figured out what, yet, but want to leave the other appliances free for everyone else's use).  So I can keep track of what we have and who will be there, please PM or post if you'll be coming!  I figure I'll be in the room and setting up by 5:30pm (building kicks us out at 11pm).  😄 

lwheels1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #661 on: January 04, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »
Tues Jan 8th potluck works for me! Would be great to get together if that works for everyone else too - I can bring a vegetarian main of some sort :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2019, 02:56:07 PM »
Hi Toronto Mustachians!  I haven't heard much from people about Tuesday.  Please post by tomorrow night (Sunday) if you want to get together on Tuesday and if you want to do something other than a potluck.  If Tuesday doesn't work for at least a couple of people we can reschedule to another day.  (Or, Plan B for Tuesday night: Kevin Macdonald is at the Rivoli at 10pm that night.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #663 on: January 05, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
Mark me down as super-unlikely to attend.

I don't think you ever had me on your list, but just in case.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #664 on: January 05, 2019, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi Toronto Mustachians!  I haven't heard much from people about Tuesday.  Please post by tomorrow night (Sunday) if you want to get together on Tuesday and if you want to do something other than a potluck.  If Tuesday doesn't work for at least a couple of people we can reschedule to another day.  (Or, Plan B for Tuesday night: Kevin Macdonald is at the i Rivolat 10pm that night.)

we enjoyed the last meet up !! and would be fine for Tuesday Jan 8 @ 5.30.
we love the potluck idea, if is confirmed please pm coordinates, etc
Cheers

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #665 on: January 05, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
Thanks @okits, I won't be able to make this one.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #666 on: January 06, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
I'll be game

Toronto.poutine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
I’ll be there too and I’ll bring lasagna

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
I’ve PMed the location details; let me know if I’ve missed you or you’d like to join and I’ll send them to you.  :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #669 on: January 09, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
For everyone at the MMMeet up potluck last night, thanks for the great dinner and conversation!  I realized after that we had 5 of 12 attendees who are FIREd; impressive.  :)

I looked into the light up boots and unfortunately, I think the brand only does them in toddler sizes.  You can get them in purple + sparkly hearts, though!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #670 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
For everyone at the MMMeet up potluck last night, thanks for the great dinner and conversation!  I realized after that we had 5 of 12 attendees who are FIREd; impressive.  :)

Thanks for hosting! You are right, that is impressive
Great meetup, nice seeing you all again

jessjess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #671 on: January 09, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
Thanks so much for hosting @okits! And also thanks for looking up those amazing boots!! Your kids are very cute. :)

We had a great time last night meeting you all (some for the 2nd time).

See you all at the next meet up or sooner. :)

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: January 09, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
Thanks okits!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #673 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
Following up on a couple topics we discussed that I had more info:

I asked my wife what the bank account opening bonuses were that she did in Canada last year. It was TD ($300 each person) and CIBC ($300 / person). They both seem expired now, but might pop back up.  Anyone know of any active bank bonuses in Canada?
For Canadian credit card churning, she suggested the best sources of info were Red Flags Forum, check for posts by Jerry (see this thread) and that the Reddit Canadian Churning forum seems active again. If someone was motivated they could start a thread on the forum here for Canadian CC churning.

And if you are really motivated, here is a seven part series on getting US credit cards as a Canadian, not sure it still works, but maybe entertaining reading.

More importantly, bike trip to Montreal right?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #674 on: January 10, 2019, 05:32:30 AM »
Wait - what? Bike trip to Montreal?? Pace? Route? Timing?

Our family is planning a ride on the Petite Train du Nord and on the Confederation trail this summer. We'll likely be taking it easy and only doing around 50km per day.

lwheels1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #675 on: January 10, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
Excellent potluck & conversation everyone!! Thanks for such a great evening

Wanted to share, here is the vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe:
https://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/vegetarian-tex-mex-shepherd-s-pie

Only change was that in addition to the 1 cup of corn kernels, I added an extra 3/4 cup of frozen peas + 3/4 cup of frozen edamame for some extra veggies :)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #676 on: January 10, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
Thanks so much for hosting @okits! And also thanks for looking up those amazing boots!! Your kids are very cute. :)

We had a great time last night meeting you all (some for the 2nd time).

See you all at the next meet up or sooner. :)
+2

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #677 on: January 10, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Excellent potluck & conversation everyone!! Thanks for such a great evening

Wanted to share, here is the vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe:
https://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/vegetarian-tex-mex-shepherd-s-pie

Only change was that in addition to the 1 cup of corn kernels, I added an extra 3/4 cup of frozen peas + 3/4 cup of frozen edamame for some extra veggies :)

Thank you for the recipe!!  Bulgur added to the grocery list.  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #678 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »
FYI Toronto crowd... thought I would flag this program for property owners in some parts of the GTA to get subsidized trees and planting advice. We don't qualify here, but you might:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=LKe1lgiK9Mk

https://www.yourleaf.org/homeowners

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #679 on: January 15, 2019, 12:27:39 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a few super-fun meetups! Wish I could have attended!
And since I have now been summoned for my Canadian citizenship ceremony (yay!!!), I will be making my way back from Mexico to TO earlier than originally planned...
If anyone fancies meeting up sometime between Jan 24 and mid-Feb, mid-week daytime works too, I’d love to!

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #680 on: January 23, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »
Hey all, sorry I've been M.I.A.. I've relocated to Vancouver temporarily. Not the most FIRE friendly city, but the weather and views are nice. Hope to see you all again in the future.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: January 30, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
FYI everyone, the Canadian Mustachians FB group is planning a meetup for Feb 28.

Details:
7:30 PM
Thurs Feb 28th
22XX Bloor St West.

(Will post address once I have organizer's permission.)

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #682 on: January 30, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
FYI everyone, the Canadian Mustachians FB group is planning a meetup for Feb 28.

Details:
Thurs Feb 28th
22XX Bloor St West.

So jealous!! Alas I will be out of town again. Have fun, friends!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #683 on: February 01, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Damn.  I'll be out of town as well.  Enjoy.

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #684 on: February 15, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »

Details:
Thurs Feb 28th
22XX Bloor St West.

Cannot make it, I hope to see you on the next one!

V

ojoao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #685 on: March 14, 2019, 08:21:29 AM »
This might be of interest to people in the GTA looking to break into the real estate market. OptionsForHomes is currently selling units in a Toronto development and helping people get into home ownership by boosting purchaser’s downpayments in the form a 2nd shared appreciation mortgage making it more accessible for homebuyers, but not investors that don’t plan on living in the units. Basically, if you are actually going to live in the unit, your purchase price/mortgage amount could be based on 80% of the value of the unit with up to 15% held by the developer in addition to a minimum downpayment of 5% from the purchaser. When you eventually sell down the road the developer gets back the original 15% plus 15% of the appreciation if you take the help from them.

Seems like a pretty community oriented build, discouraging investors and banning smoking etc.

https://optionsforhomes.ca/the_humber/

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #686 on: April 24, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Folks - it's uncharacteristic for this group to go without a meetup for so long!

We're past due. Who has an idea?

I'm going to propose May 9th as a working date - after work, someplace fun...

As an alternative to our usual pattern of hanging out in the PATH system, I've made a call to the Toronto Mission to Seafarers to see if they could use extra hands at their facility for an evening. The Seafarers mission gives a hand to the crews that come through the Port of Toronto - many of whom have been away from home for an extended period, working in often ghastly conditions, with language, health, and nutrition issues in a foreign country. It just so happens to be that the Toronto Mission is one of the freshest/hippest/craziest ones and they might could use extra hands putting together care packages or something. If interested you can read more here: https://mickney.business.site/

Tigermom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2019, 01:24:12 PM »
Hi guys, I'm up for a meet up, like the idea but would only be able to come around 730 pm, not much energy to make any packages, would love to chat though

Folks - it's uncharacteristic for this group to go without a meetup for so long!

We're past due. Who has an idea?

I'm going to propose May 9th as a working date - after work, someplace fun...

As an alternative to our usual pattern of hanging out in the PATH system, I've made a call to the Toronto Mission to Seafarers to see if they could use extra hands at their facility for an evening. The Seafarers mission gives a hand to the crews that come through the Port of Toronto - many of whom have been away from home for an extended period, working in often ghastly conditions, with language, health, and nutrition issues in a foreign country. It just so happens to be that the Toronto Mission is one of the freshest/hippest/craziest ones and they might could use extra hands putting together care packages or something. If interested you can read more here: https://mickney.business.site/
[/quote]

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:34 PM »
I like the idea, but I can't do a Thursday night. Maybe if we can push it to that Friday?

Or if everyone drinks lots of caffeine, I'll fi ish work around 9 on the Thursday and could see you around 11?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #689 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure Friday works for me.

The seafarers thing hasn't called back yet, so???

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #690 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I feel like I have too many nights out scheduled already for the first half of May, plus being way too busy at work and at home.  So schedule without me and I’ll try to come if I reasonably can.  😬

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #691 on: May 09, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »
Hey all, catching up on this, wasn't sure if anyone was meeting up on Thursday or Friday (9th or 10th). If not and want to try again next week, I'm good to meet up next week too, if we want to try again to organize.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #692 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:15 AM »
Hey all, catching up on this, wasn't sure if anyone was meeting up on Thursday or Friday (9th or 10th). If not and want to try again next week, I'm good to meet up next week too, if we want to try again to organize.

No follow up happened so I let it die a quiet death. :)

Tigermom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #693 on: May 09, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
Up for a downtown meetup?

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #694 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:37 AM »
I just popped in to see if I had plans tonight... It looks like we were all too lazy to make the plans?

Friday daytime next weekend? Interrupt okits ' day off? Force me to get out of bed before 11? Or Friday evening?

I will be too lazy to make the actual plans 😂

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #695 on: May 10, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
Next Friday daytime, or Friday evening would work for me.
Anytime next week is alright for me, except Tuesday afternoon/evening or Thursday morning.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #696 on: May 11, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Well, @ElleFiji and @CanuckExpat have thrown in for Friday daytime.  I’d be interested in hanging out and eating some delicious food someplace equidistant from us and not a total pain in the ass to get to.  CE, you know where Elle and I are, so suggestions for general location?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #697 on: May 19, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
Hi Folks!
So I've been "wintering"* in Arizona for the last 5 months and it's time to go home to Kingston.  I'll be passing through TO later this week; would love to meet up with y'all.  I'm in Nashville at the moment - but not likely to get discovered. Lol.
*Mustachian wintering = living out of my van ;)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
I'm thinking maybe Thursday afternoon or evening?
@CanuckExpat, @okits , @SnakesintheGrass ????

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »
I'm thinking maybe Thursday afternoon or evening?
@CanuckExpat, @okits , @SnakesintheGrass ????

I’m likely only free after 9pm so please make plans that work for you and I’ll join in if I can.  😬

(We have had a few days of nice weather...  Hopefully the trend continues upward so you don’t regret leaving Arizona for this! 🌬🌨🌦