Author Topic: The Vancouver Island Mustache Retreat  (Read 2369 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
The Vancouver Island Mustache Retreat
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
Hey hey PNW-ers, on the Facebook group we have been discussing a possible group camping/cabin trip for the May Long Weekend (arriving Saturday May 18th and leaving Monday May 20th, two nights), at a place close to Nanaimo - the Westwood Lake Campground. They have RV sites, tent camping, several two person cabins, one six person cottage, and soon a tiny house for rent as well. Check out the website for more info: https://www.westwoodlakecampgrounds.com/facilities/index.htm

The campsites are around $35/night, two-person cabins around $100, and six person cabin around $200. They haven't posted the tiny house price yet. The campground has good facilities, and the cabins are all well equipped, with proper kitchens/electricity/plumbing/etc.

There are a lot of outdoor activity options - it's right on the lake, and there's also a lot of hiking and mountain biking in the area. There are also some communal gathering areas (outdoors, or in the cottage) where we can hang out.

People would be booking their own campsites or small cabins, except for anyone staying with me in the big one, which I would book.

It would be a good idea to start getting things booked soon, so please post if you're interested.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:05:45 PM by Zikoris »

Ms. Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The Vancouver Island Mustache Retreat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
Hey Zikoris - this sounds great! Can you clarify the dates? I think the long weekend is the following weekend May 18-20. May 11/12 is Mother's day weekend.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Zikoris - this sounds great! Can you clarify the dates? I think the long weekend is the following weekend May 18-20. May 11/12 is Mother's day weekend.

Thank you! Brain fart, I have corrected it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
Hi, I would be in, but I already booked my own vacation that week. Have fun!

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:41:06 PM »
@seattlecyclone and I are in, provided we can get one of the two person cabins. He'll call tomorrow and book for us if it's refundable (and we'll cancel if this doesn't seem to be happening). We'll have our toddler and baby with us, so it's nice that there are tiny cabins since I feel more confident committing knowing I won't have to deal with a baby freezing in the cold. (Also, maybe if our site is close enough to a central gathering place, we can both sneak out and use baby-monitoring devices to enjoy mustachian discussions after kids are in bed.)

Thanks for coming up with another option! Just curious - did you feel out availability or might we run into issues with this site too?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
Update - I have booked the cottage, so it's confirmed! We have one bed left in the cottage if  someone wants it, and there at also cabins and campsites.

So far we have five confirmed for the cottage, and I think four for camping. I told her our group is called the FIRE club, so if you identify yourselves as that when booking,  they may be able to group us together.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
@#*&$ they don't allow babies in the cabins.  Sorry all, we're out. (I assume that means not in tents either because um.. a cabin has walls at least...) Unless we can somehow convince them that y'all will be our neighbors and really, it's all good with you...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
@#*&$ they don't allow babies in the cabins.  Sorry all, we're out. (I assume that means not in tents either because um.. a cabin has walls at least...) Unless we can somehow convince them that y'all will be our neighbors and really, it's all good with you...

Maybe try the tiny house? They told me they're building a tiny house that will be finished by May, and that seems like almost by definition it would be a separate thing with no shared walls or whatever, so that might work.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »
I'm not inclined to patronize this camp anymore. The idea that a place of accommodation would openly reject business from a family traveling with a baby is literally foreign to me. This is the first time I've encountered such shenanigans, and also the first time I've tried booking a place outside the USA since having kids. If you don't want to risk being woken up by a baby sleeping nearby, maybe don't book a cabin with shared walls.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:04:04 PM by seattlecyclone »

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
Honestly I'm surprised they cared about the baby. The toddler is the loud one. (Yelling the Wheels on the Bus is a favorite pastime... and we basically ignore him singing and talking to himself for up to two hours every night while he falls asleep...)

@Zikoris if you have any future calls with them about details, please consider at least an empty threat, if not a real one, to cancel and demand a refund based on them not allowing part of your intended group to participate.

Btw, just wanted to throw another idea out there for future gatherings: We once used a girl or boyscout camp on the Olympic Peninsula for a Unitarian retreat and it was pretty nice. Right next to a lake and all. But we only booked one big building and everyone shared and just slept on the floor, there were mats but not proper beds. Also not sure if they have strict requirements like no alcohol but it worked well for us. I think we had to have group insurance would be the main thing that we wouldn't presently have... and I think it was probably during the school year given that's when it'd be available, but maybe a possibility for September. Might be worth looking into if the group insurance thing is something we can purchase to open up a lot more venue possibilities.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »
Hello everybody,

I just want to clarify to everyone that this campground has a policy of not allowing babies to stay in the cabins, due to shared walls. Every venue for this sort of thing has its own policies that may make them not a fit for a particular person or family. For example, last year we did this at a bible camp which banned marijuana, and had a lot of religious stuff around,  so that would not have worked for someone who used marijuana for a medical condit́on, or someone who had past trauma related to religion. As a personal request, I would like to ask that if this camp doesn't work for you, please just sit this one out rather than sending angry emails to the campground owners. And of course, feel free to organize your own events that meet your needs better.

I would also prefer this thread to stay focused on planning and organizing the event, confirming attendance, and logistical discussion if at all possible.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 12:25:03 AM »
I'm not inclined to patronize this camp anymore. The idea that a place of accommodation would openly reject business from a family traveling with a baby is literally foreign to me. This is the first time I've encountered such shenanigans, and also the first time I've tried booking a place outside the USA since having kids. If you don't want to risk being woken up by a baby sleeping nearby, maybe don't book a cabin with shared walls.
I stayed at a horse ranch once, the cabins with shared walls -- the main divider did not go all the way up to the ceiling.  Our baby and toddler were LOUD, at least 3-4 times in the night and especially going to bed.  Good thing it was my sister on the other side and she had a kid that was in age between ours, (that slept all night).

So, if they have that set up, I can understand that they have needed to refund other people in the past when babies are on the other side.   I agree with you that they should have a few rooms where babies / young kids would be allowed to be booked into.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
Hey everyone, we have two spots left in the six person cottage. Would anyone like to share with us? It would be $80/person.