Author Topic: Sydney meetup  (Read 72230 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Sydney meetup
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
I take it this is not happening? I'm off looking at apartments today. Doing my bit to keep fuelling the ginormously massive property boom...

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
Don't think so. Good luck Marty.
I'm trying to stay mustachian at the school fete.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2014, 04:35:32 AM »
No luck yesterday. Saw a nice one but on a main road with high strata fees.

Saw a shit one too which would be great for a reno but a few other buyers had the same idea and the I think the seller is also being a bit greedy.

To mix metaphors it really is like banging your head against the wall expecting results different to a broken skull.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2014, 05:39:58 AM »
I've been trying to find a fire sale serviced apartment to buy anywhere around the country, but I can only find overpriced, new stock. The search continues ...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »
Try again for a meetup?

I've seen more Harbour City residents floating around nowadays...

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
Interested if it happens to be a suitable date, location and time. :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »
I'm planning to go to the Canberra meet up on the 20th. But I'm also still interested in a Sydney meet up if its not too close to the other one. Sydney's closer.

Cashup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
I'll be selfish and go with the earlier suggestion of meeting up for a picnic in the Botanic Gardens. It's walking distance for me...:))
That said....any place that suits the majority of Sydneysiders and I'll be there.

I'm guessing a weekend day would suit most people...what about Sat 18th or 25th Oct?...say 1pm....on the lawns near the Opera House entrance to the gardens?

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
How about a Saturday lunchtime BBQ at a beach or nice park?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:32 AM »
I can't do saturdays guys and gals.

Will be at the Shelbourne hotel on friday night from 6:30-7ish for $5 pizzas if anyone wants to randomly join.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Looks like this thread has been going for a while without an actual event.

I'm keen to catch up if there's still interest.

The Xmas break is coming up so this may be good or bad timing depending on whether folk stay in or exit Sydney.

Personally, I am free most evenings during weekdays or could make a weekend coffee catchup somewhere central.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2014, 04:29:07 AM »
With Marty998 having holidays this week, we discussed in his journal about having a meetup during the week. Marty998, Ozstashe and I are all available any day except Monday. A Thursday lunchtime BBQ sounds great to me - as the two of us are coming from Canberra, maybe Bowral would be good. Does anyone else want to come, and if so when and where?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:22 AM »
Unfortunately I'm stacked until Xmas. Free after that  except 30,31. then pretty free for about  2 weeks. Bowrals good for me.
( ahem disclaimer…19 yro  DS just persuaded me out for dinner. Glasses of wine were prob v> 20g, a bargina, but now severe typing dysfunction…)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
And I go back to work on the 30th....with no break till the the last week of Jan

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
There seem to be several choices with BBQs in Bowral - which would you like? Ozstache, I'm happy to take you.

Glebe Park Bowral -
Glebe Park
Bradman Oval, Bowral Street, Bowral 2576
Toilet, Gas barbecues, Picnic Tables, shelter sheds, Children’s Gym Playground.

Lion’s Park
Bong Bong Street, Bowral 2576
Toilet, 2 electric BBQ facilities

and
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:42:49 PM by deborah »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »
I wonder if we could invite the rest of the canberra gang?

TheBrutalProof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
Hello Sydneysiders,

I thought I'd highjack your meet up thread to try and make some new connections while I'm in Sydney for a business trip.  My wife and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota and are still in the accumulation phase of FI.  My employer had deemed it necessary that I be in Sydney for 3-4 weeks starting around Jan. 12th and I'd love to meet some like-minded people to make the most of my stay.  Can I convince you guys to target mid-January for a Sydney meet up?

Lewis
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:37:00 AM by wern55 »

MammaStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Starting late. Progress TBA!
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
Seems like you guys never managed to meet up? We need more critical mass!

Marty ---
:) I don't think Sydney has ever pretended to be anything other than a non-mustache city.

I nearly fell of my chair! So true ... I am seriously struggling with the economics of this city....

Schedule permitting I'm up for meet up... with bikes (and possibly kids) is awesome.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »
Mammastash - I'm up for a meetup in Sydney - an Innerwest location (eg a park like Sydney Park) would be good sometime one weekend in Jan.

Wern55 - watch this space - let's see how we go with getting a meetup for Jan!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »
I'm still up for a meet up, if I can make it.

TheBrutalProof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
Awesome.  Here's a really easy group scheduling webservice we can use to find out when people are available.  I don't know my weekday availability yet, but weekends will probably be easy.

http://doodle.com/r2e8qvqpbmq26npa

Go to the link and let everyone know when works for you!  I hope this works out!

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 03:18:11 AM »
Another Sydneysider here. Been following mmm for a while but first time posting. The forum has been a great resource, and probably about time I got more involved, adds a degree of accountability when following the mustachian way. Anyway, I should be around for a meet-up, will see if a date and time is decided upon.

TheBrutalProof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Are people free this Friday?  I'm in town now and Friday around 6pm or later would be great.  I'll leave it to you locals to pick a good meeting spot if that works.

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
I could possibly get in after work on Friday. Are you based in the CBD? I don't get into the city often enough to know many good meeting places, at least not the ones that are Mustachian. As the guys have mentioned it is a pretty non-mustache city. More reason to try meet like minded people I guess.

Any more of the Sydney gang keen on the meet up, or have any suggestions?

BLERGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
Hi all -- casual MMM reader who stumbled on this forum today, looking to meet some like-minded people. Kismet has intervened it seems -- I'm originally from the Twin Cities (hello wern55), now living in Sydney, and I work in the CBD. Trifecta! This may have been suggested before, but would people be into BYOB/uncorking some wine in the Botanic Gardens this coming Friday (30th), weather permitting?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 03:27:56 AM »
I have to present a paper in early Feb, which is still not finished, so I'm out til mid Feb.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
So when are you guys actually going to meet up? :-p

TheBrutalProof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Johnners!  Sorry about the noncom.  Arriving in Sydney has been a little crazy for me so far.   BLERGH that is a very strange coincidence! Friday will be my last evening in the country and if it so happens that we're able to meet up in the Botanical gardens that would be awesome.  I should be free that evening.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 02:30:40 AM »
I'm a bit past Canberra, but will follow this thread incase we are in town when you happen to be meeting up.

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:58 AM »
Blergh, good idea with the BYO. I should be able make it in Friday evening. Hopefully the weather picks up!

BLERGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:42 PM »
great, we will be a merry little tribe at least! can't say what the weather will be but if it's anything like today, how about this place as a plan B?

http://www.marlowesway.com/

i basically hate all bars in the CBD, but this one plays good music so it's tolerable. it's also tiny but I could get there around 4 to secure a spot -- it's down a little laneway off bridge st and pitt st.

But assuming it's nice and sunny, want to meet at the Palace Garden Gate? Those are the ones off Macquarie St, around 141 Macquarie St according to Google.

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 11:13:54 PM »
What time suits you guys? The earliest I can make it in is 5:30.

BLERGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
how about 6pm, then? i'll be the girl with brown hair, jeans, and a teal backpack.

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
That suits me, 6pm at the Palace Garden Gate.

Are you going to be able to make it wern55?

BLERGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
huzzah -- johnners and I broke the curse of this thread and actually MET UP on friday -- it was fun! wern55, fellow countryman, sorry you couldn't join us, but hope you had safe travels back to MN.

among many MMM topics, johnners and i talked a bit about the difficulty of socializing in sydney on the cheap, and had the bright idea of trying to organize a weekend BBQ sometime in the next few months. despite having lived in australia for 2 years I still haven't grilled ANYTHING outdoors so i am very into this idea. we've broken the seal, i see bright things ahead! anyone else interested? once we plot our locations, perhaps we can find a place roughly in the middle to share the travel burden. i'm in the eastern suburbs.

Johnners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »
I second what Blergh has said. Good to get the first Sydney meet up on the board. Hopefully the first of many, and we can get a few more people involved in the coming months.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2015, 03:11:15 AM »
I'm south right out of  Sydney. I'm not likely to drive into the CBD at night for a quick drink in a bar, no parking etc etc. A barbie in the daytime would make the trip more worthwhile. If its somewhere accessible by train, I'll probably do that, otherwise drive.  Same deal as the Canberra meet up - because I have quite a bit of travel time, it would turn into a bit of a day trip, so I'm a bit less available.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
I'm off work for much of next week....

Happy to do whatever works.

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2015, 03:41:00 AM »
Hi everybody, not sure why but I'm not getting the replies to the thread...

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
Seems like you guys never managed to meet up? We need more critical mass!

Marty ---
:) I don't think Sydney has ever pretended to be anything other than a non-mustache city.

I nearly fell of my chair! So true ... I am seriously struggling with the economics of this city....

Really? Apart from rent/mortgage Sydney doesn't seem that bad to me :S
Some background, I am from Perth, aside from rent my next biggest line items in my budget are transport and going out. Sydney has much more usable transit than Perth (and a max spend of $60/week) so car ownership isn't really needed. Taxis are also not needed...Big Saving right there. Going out is cheap - loads of live music events without cover charges, $4 beers (more like $10 here), free events to attract the tourists, cheap coffees, lots of nice hikes etc accessible by public transit on the newcastle and Woolongong lines.
I'm also a single young professional, so my Sydney friends are all "poor" due to high rent, whereas my Perth friends are "cashed up bogans" [Slang for unqualified people making huge money in the mining industry]. As a result Sydney-siders appear to be so much more frugal in their entertainment choices which would make things easier.
And then this is the kicker, while rent in Sydney is stupid, mortgages are not so bad if you want a very small apartment. Perth has limited stock of very small (studio) apartments, and they aren't all that cheap. If you want to be in a cool, walkable neighborhood, you have only a handful to choose from and they are not cheap and the price for a studio is almost as much as the Sydney prices. And if you end up living in a studio you can't buy much stuff... You may also have a gym/pool on site, so you wouldn't pay or this stuff separately.
Assuming you fit the young and single demographic, life in Sydney could be cheaper than life in Perth. And certainly more fun!
However for families that want a house with land and a car, Sydney is an expensive place to have those things.
Also for renters, rents are crazy, so for anyone who can't afford to buy Sydney is expensive. (In comparison yeilds in Perth are low, so renting is more affordable.)

Can you tell I've thought this out? Looking to make the move soon! Hope to catch you all at a meet-up sometime soon.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2015, 01:27:38 AM »
hey there Melody, looking forward to see you in our fair city :)

You really have got this all thought out! Where in particular are you looking to stay? Inner ring/close to city?

Agree with you a good night out can be had pretty cheaply wherever you go.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
I will try and live near work, but hope to work in the city. Darlinghurst, chippendale and redfern would be  my areas of choice. But anywhere in the city or inner west would be cool :-) but if the job is further out i will reassess. Hoping to join family and friends in sydney and have some new experiences  :-)

Ren2706

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
Hi everyone - My first ever time posting in any forum, hope I'm doing it right! ha ha I've just discovered the MMM blog and am seriously obsessed with it, my partner, friends and family are pretending to listen but I think I'm at the stage where they need a break and I need to meet other Mustachians to talk all things frugal with...

Not sure if a Sydney meet up ever got off the ground but I'd love to come along if another one happens! :)

MammaStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »
Glad you guys managed to meet up. Good idea for BBQ of some sort. I need to figure out how to make this thread email me so I don't miss pending plans.

Melody - great take on keeping a bright outlook! However remember you probably won't be young and single forever. I've not lived in any other Australian cities so hard to compare ... BUT unless you live within biking distance of CBD Sydney is a not very Mustachian.

Consider the sprawl ... Move to the suburbs and commute for a LONG time in the car or train if you can afford the train line suburbs. But the outer suburbs don't get very much cheaper for rent or purchase prices. So you pay twice - with the housing coat and the loss of life hours to the commute.

They are ripping UP the bike lanes in the city (did that really happen? Or did sense prevail?)

Want to go to the beach? Get in the car for an hour. Want to go to a sporting event? Another hour. Live near the beach but want to see the Symphony? Perhaps another hour. Urban sprawl without rival (er except maybe LA ... I've lived there too ugh... I know Perth is a sprawl too but I don't think it compares).

Think public school is fine for your kids? Well think again "everyone" chooses private school ;) ... Or at least sometimes it feels that way.

Think your old hatchback is cool? No way ... You need an SUV or you won't fit in.

HOWEVER Sydney has awesome stuff ... A zoo with the best view ever. Beaches that defy description. Majestic mountains nearby. So somehow we all decide it's better to stay.

Best way for Sydney to be Mustachian is to work in your suburb or telecommute :)

Ok I didn't mean to vent. But this is how I see things in Sydney. It's a love/hate thing :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2015, 05:13:54 AM »
Thats why I moved out!

MammaStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2015, 04:53:44 AM »
Maybe we need a what is the most Mustachian suburb in Aus thread somewhere :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
The problem with Sydney seems to be that so much of the work is in the outer suburbs (Paramatta, Campbelltown etc) where I wouldn't want to live, but doing a reverse flow commute seems even crazier!!!! Expensive rent + commute. I have been applying for stuff in Sydney, but also now Newcastle and Melbourne. I feel very ready for a change, Sydney would be my first choice but the lack of work in the CBD is a problem. (I'm an accountant in a heavy industry, in Perth, most companies will have an office in the CBD or an inner suburb and a facility in an industrial area, in Sydney it seems the office is just lumped in with the facility.) Still I applied for something cool in North Sydney yesterday so there is hope :-)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
In Canberra, we are meeting up at a variety of places North, South, East, West (we haven't yet really been North), so that everyone can get to something. Just do it (preferably at a time that I can come from Canberra)!

Maybe you need to work out what is easiest for everyone, or somewhere people would like to actually go out of their way to see (like Lithgow so they can look at the Blue Mountains, or Bondi, so they can go to the beach, or the bottom of the bridge so they can go on the cheap bridge walk).

I know that at least two of you live in the south. Why not a Sydney poll - where do I live - broken up into the major areas? If someone says what they are, I could set up the poll.

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2015, 04:22:03 AM »
As the thread has already been disrupted, thought I might chime in.  I grew up in Newcastle, spent a year in randwick (on a military base), then a year in Bondi in a furnished apartment, I then lived in Darwin for 12 months, back to Sydney where I lived in an apartment in Guildford for 12 months, then a house in Holsworthy (next to liverpool) for two years, then a year in an apartment in Chatswood whilst I worked at South Head, Watson, then an apartment in Darwin for two years, then an apartment in Teneriffe, Brisbane for 6 months, then a yacht at a marina in Scarborough, Brisbane for 6months, then Darwin (on a military base) for 12 months, and I am now praying to all the gods that I get posted to Holsworthy in January so I can live in an apartment again.

I figure Sydney is fair to middle on the expensive scale and it all comes down to your choices.  As ERE lists it your first 3 concerns are - housing, Transport and work.

I have lived on all three sides of Sydney and worked on the south and in the middle.  I found that if I wanted to go out I could catch a train no probs  -tho whilst living in Chatswood we did have the saying "oh thats OTB, no thanks (over the bridge)"  Otherwise, I am an avid hiker and spent most weekends in the blue mountains.  I found living in south / west of Sydney was better for this but then its all connected by motorways and train lines.  If I get back to Sydney in January 2016, i intend to live in a new apartment in Liverpool, due to the closeness, to work + plus the accessibility of the city  and the blue mountains by train.  I tend to find the general cost of an apartment in Sydney is $500 / week rent (which is what the Defence force assesses as the average for our rental subsidy)

Otherwise i would like to see a list of Australian Capital Cities by cost IAW forum users opinions

Darwin Cetainly needs to be at the head of the list as the most expensive whilst Brisbane and Sydney are about equal these days

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2015, 04:47:43 AM »
Darwin, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart.

I mean, the price of coffee in Perth says it all really.

I would still like to do a meetup, holding out for that mythical under 30's crowd that seems to be hiding under a rock...

Steak & beer anyone???

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!