Author Topic: Sydney meetup  (Read 72212 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Sydney meetup
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
Ok I have to say I'm a bit jealous of all those lovely Perth girls having so much fun over in the wild west ;)

It's probably about time a similar party was held on the East Coast. I know you're all out there. Who's keen to meet up in Sydney???

ninjaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Sydney meetup
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:04:09 AM »
I was just thinking the same.

I live in the bush capital but I'd be happy to come up for a meet up, though preferably on a long weekend ;)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
Good on you marty998, I was thinking the same thing.
I'm not far from Sydney, and would love to come up. Provided an old gal won't spoil the fun :).

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
I'm also in Canberra, but in Sydney a day or two a week.  Would be keen for a meetup in either area.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:11 AM »
Appears we just missed a decent long weekend Ninjaj. I've actually just enjoyed 6 days off courtesy of having way too much annual leave accrued.

Looking forward, the next "block" to take off is the few days between Easter Monday and Anzac day. 10 days straight from Good Friday for only 3 days annual leave. Yahooee.

Happy, bigchrisb, the next thing to work out is what we want to do? (Maybe this will help drag some lurkers out?) I was going to suggest $10 steak & chips at Cargo Bar Darling Harbour but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to come all the way in for a 1 hour lunch!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
Another Canberran here (well, close enough), interested in a meetup. Given where we are each calling in from, perhaps somewhere midpoint between Canberra and Sydney could be the go. Mittagong/Bowral?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:22:18 AM by Ozstache »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
I'm happy to go north or south. Could even go to Canberra for a day trip.  As a suggestion, what about Berrima?  Pretty. Bit of a tourist trap, but from vague memory I think there is somewhere we could picnic.  If we do Sydney, could it either be accessible by train, or somewhere with easy parking (preferably free)? $10 steak and chips sounds like a bargain though.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
Great - with 3 from Canberra and 2 from Sydney there sounds to be enough critical mass to make this work.  I'm keen for a picnic half way. Lets pick somewhere along the rail line from Sydney so there is a non-car option for Sydney folks (in the spirit of mustachianism).  Moss vale has a park next to the railway station? 

I'm tempted to throw my bike in the car and do a ride afterwards to fitzroy, belmore and/or carrington falls.  I'm thinking a sedate cycle over a few hours if anyone wants to join me.

I can give a lift to someone from Canberra if anyone wants to car pool
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:14:38 PM by bigchrisb »

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
A stop somewhere along the Sydney/Canberra train line and a picnic sounds like a fine idea to me.

My only blackout dates are from this Fri to next Sat, whereby I will be holidaying in New Zealand, South Island with my lovely wife.

Don't worry, I haven't gone all spendy all of a sudden. We'll be mustachian holidaying, meaning taking cheap Jetstar flights ($300 return each!), driving/sleeping/eating in a budget campervan, some freedom (as they call it in NZ) camping and a DIY itinerary involving lots of free hiking and sightseeing.

Looking forward to both the holiday and the suggested meetup!

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
I'm also from canberra and keen for the meetup between Canberra and Sydney.  My availability is sporadic and will depend on the specific date that is chosen.

Thanks Marty for taking the initiative to start the topic.

I'm also happy to carpool

cheers

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:06:53 AM »
HAHAHA whenever I hear of "mid way between Sydney and Canberra" I immediately think of Paintball @ Penrose near Moss Vale.

My god I lost a lot of skin, blood, dignity and moolah that day. I've never had so much fun being shot black and blue by my mates. One of them got me real good (nipple shots....owwwwwwwwwwwwww). I said, mate fuck you, you are not getting in my car you can walk back to Sydney.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
Great - with 3 from Canberra and 2 from Sydney there sounds to be enough critical mass to make this work.  I'm keen for a picnic half way. Lets pick somewhere along the rail line from Sydney so there is a non-car option for Sydney folks (in the spirit of mustachianism).  Moss vale has a park next to the railway station? 

I'm tempted to throw my bike in the car and do a ride afterwards to fitzroy, belmore and/or carrington falls.  I'm thinking a sedate cycle over a few hours if anyone wants to join me.

I can give a lift to someone from Canberra if anyone wants to car pool

How sedate? Happy to bring my bike and go for a ride around wherever. I tend to cruise at about 17-18km/h on a bike. Up to 25km/h if it is flat enough.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
All sounds good EXCEPT the paint ball. 

I would drive to Southern Highlands, since to catch the train I would need to go up to Sydney change and then go back out - could take 3 hours or so. No problem leaving the venue rail accessible for any other rail commuters, just sayin in case the venue is being chosen with me being the only potential rail user.

Not likely to be able to keep up with you young fellas on a bike,  but perfectly fine with coming for the picnic part and leaving you guys to it. I'm pretty free at the moment but once school is back will start to collect engagements.

NZ sounds great Ozstache.  Spent a week or so there on South Island in a camper van many moons ago. The distances are relatively small so it works well.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
How sedate? Happy to bring my bike and go for a ride around wherever. I tend to cruise at about 17-18km/h on a bike. Up to 25km/h if it is flat enough.

Sounds about right to me!  I'm a commuter tyres on a mountain bike kinda guy, rather than part of the fibre/lycra/latte brigade

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »
Yeah mountain bike for me, usually wear a singlet and boardies. I don't think you'll ever catch me in lycra.

My Saturday's are blacked out for a month, cricket season is still on. Although we are getting smashed this year, I love it too much to miss a game.

I can only really do Sundays if we are going to meet at Moss Vale. Thinking about driving to Campbelltown and then getting a train (90minutes from C'town to MV, the return fare is much cheaper than burning petrol), BUT I'm scared to leave my car all day in the south western suburbs. I know it's not good to stereotype, but that whole slice of Sydney scares me :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
Okey Dokey, will we keep the momentum and pick a Sunday?

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
After consultation with the SO, it would seem my Sundays are of limited availability over the next few weeks!  How about the 16th of March?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Works for me, by then cricket season is over and I could do Saturday 15th if that gives us another option.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
Ok, 16th of March in the Southern Highlands.  I'll be taking my pushy for a ride to the waterfalls after.

Thus far, Marty998 and myself.  Any others?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
Yes I'm in.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
I'm in at this stage too.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
Hi all, I'll be reading the meetup from a distance. My weekends are booked with work and volunteering. I thought the mustachian thing would be bring a plate at some mustachian's home then do a round robin. But I guess a great deal of trust needs to be first established and i'm pretty much a newbie around here.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »
Train timetable attached for those coming from Sydney end:

Thinking maybe the 10:04am from Campbelltown on the way down and 3:59pm from Moss Vale on the way back.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
Sorry to bail, but I'm going to skip this one.  I've decided that I'm spending too much time obsessing about PF, and need to give it a rest.  Might hope to catch up at the next one.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:55 AM »
No probs BCB. How many of us are there left?

Ozstache?
Happy?

Should we continue if it's just the 3 of us? Just thinking what is there actually to do in Moss Vale. I'm not exactly the type to sit on a picnic rug and chat for half a day haha.

Lunch at local hotel maybe is all I can really think of. If it's going to take me 4 hours to commute there and back I want to make the most of the day :)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
It looks like I'd be the only one coming from Canberra, so perhaps it is better for all if I dip out on this one and you guys meet up closer to the Sydney CBD.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »
I was wondering how many to make a quorum….

Are there any other takers other than Marty and I?  BIG SHOUT OUT to any one else within cooee. This is your big chance to come to the best meet up Down Under.

Marty, mate, no offence but I think if its just us two we should try to reconvene, when (and if?) there is a bit more interest.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
None taken, was going to suggest the same.

cheers

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
:)

I must admit, I'm amazed there aren't more Sydney mustaches.  4 of the replies were from ACT and I'm out of Sydney also.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
:) I don't think Sydney has ever pretended to be anything other than a non-mustache city.

ninjaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
:)

I must admit, I'm amazed there aren't more Sydney mustaches.  4 of the replies were from ACT and I'm out of Sydney also.

Possibly because Canberra is the cycling capital (per capita) ;)

Sorry I'm going camping this weekend with the misses on the south coast.

Evangeline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Nil Barcode Food
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »
Hi all - another Canberran here. I would love to meet my fellow mustachians. It looks like we have enough numbers to perhaps do one in Canberra...? That way I can easily ride my bike to the meetup (sorry to hijack your thread Marty).

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 05:37:21 AM »
Hey thats great Evangeline.  I'm south of Sydney, so as I said,  I would be fine with coming to Canberra as a day trip instead.
Seems like Sydney has the Westchester blues :)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:42 AM »
Ok I have to say I'm a bit jealous of all those lovely Perth girls having so much fun over in the wild west ;)

It's probably about time a similar party was held on the East Coast. I know you're all out there. Who's keen to meet up in Sydney???

Just remember, this is the internet-- you have no idea whether we're lovely or even girls! :)

Sincerely,

One of the Perth Girls

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 04:25:25 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/young-australian-can't-wait-for-fi/msg201154/#msg201154

hmm...well I would hazard a guess that having balls would 100% inhibit someone from describing their knitting needles as beautiful haha

love
Martina998
xox
ok I've had my fun for the day, thankyou. After 700 posts I think its too late for me to pretend :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:05 AM »
Remember its the internet..we don't know whether you've been pretending all along, or even now. 

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/young-australian-can't-wait-for-fi/msg201154/#msg201154

hmm...well I would hazard a guess that having balls would 100% inhibit someone from describing their knitting needles as beautiful haha

love
Martina998
xox

Touché, erm... 'Martina'.
(Interestingly I do have a couple of straight guy friends who knit. It's approached like lego, with shapes, engineering and lots of numbers.)

I would have to say that when all of us met each other it took a couple of meetups for most people to be comfortable that none of us were mass murderers, etc.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

love
Martina998
xox

Touché, erm... 'Martina'.
(Interestingly I do have a couple of straight guy friends who knit. It's approached like lego, with shapes, engineering and lots of numbers.)

I would have to say that when all of us met each other it took a couple of meetups for most people to be comfortable that none of us were mass murderers, etc.

hmm, well I'm still not sold. Guys...knitting?. Seriously? I know we live in a time where historical gender roles don't really matter anymore, but it's so hard to repress the urge to poke fun at this one :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
Problem might be your preconceived notions of knitting, rather than the guys who do it? Heh.
Can't see much difference between knitting and say whittling (which seems to have more masculine associations and also uses pointed implements)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 04:48:53 AM »
Dare I say that I could knit earlier in my life....

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
I wouldn't make too many assumptions based on gender about these things-- I have had three line managers in my career that were both straight and male:

- One could knit very well, and went through a weaving phase (both on a loom, and basket weaving).
- Another and made period costume and props for theatre as a side venture. He also fixed up the aforementioned 'beautiful' knitting needles once for me and commented about how nicely made they were at the time.
- The third was a very blokey bloke who wouldn't be caught dead doing textile work.

None of these people would be young or hipster enough to be considered metrosexual. Also I don't work in an artistic field, it is in a field traditionally considered a 'man's vocation', and I do have a tomboy streak in me (apart from occasionally knitting, I will quite happily play with Meccano)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:43 AM »
I would really like to attend. Sounds like fun!! Sounds like it is Canberra - suits me. Where  - although I'm south, I guess Belconnen or Gungahrlin and when - next weekend?

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
Any chance of a meetup in Sydney next month? Just found out I'm popping over there mid-May for a work conference!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 03:27:37 AM »
I'm still keen!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Will give it a go depending on day / time/ place.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »
How about lunch or coffee on Saturday the 17th? I have only ever visited Sydney, so maybe one of you locals can suggest a place?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 03:05:22 AM »
How about lunch or coffee on Saturday the 17th? I have only ever visited Sydney, so maybe one of you locals can suggest a place?

Locals hmmm....Sydney is an awfully big place. What's local to me is probably other side of the world to most others.

City pubs and eateries are quite expensive too. My local chinese tastes pretty good but I live in the outer suburbs and it's hard to get to.

I might be on leave from work that week, so any of the days beforehand could work for me too.

kingma15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »

Locals hmmm....Sydney is an awfully big place. What's local to me is probably other side of the world to most others.

City pubs and eateries are quite expensive too. My local chinese tastes pretty good but I live in the outer suburbs and it's hard to get to.

I might be on leave from work that week, so any of the days beforehand could work for me too.

What about a meet up somewhere central (ish) located.

The Botanic Gardens is a nice central place. We could bring our own lunch, or depending on numbers, maybe a pot luck picnic lunch could work.

What do people think?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »
The last idea was 17th May - I'm still interested. If I catch the bus from Canberra, it arrives in Central Station Sydney at 11:30am, and leaves at 3pm.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »
Sadly  I'm tied up that day.