Author Topic: Sydney meetup  (Read 72223 times)

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
Re: Sydney meetup
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Looking forward to meeting you too!

Another Perth to Sydney migrant ;) (sort of)

Dropbear

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
This sounds great.  I'm keen to meet everyone there!

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
Re: Sydney meetup -- summer picnic 14 Jan!
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:14 AM »
hi all -- another co-organizer beat me to it and just put together a meetup for saturday 14 jan for the sydney mustachians group:

Haha, that was me. I just came here to advertise it (and get it off my todo list) but you beat me to it :) Guess we're even :D Tomorrow or Weds I'll also put up a post of /r/fiaustralia and /r/ausfinance

Anyway, look forward to seeing some of y'all there!

Holy crap this forum software is suboptimal.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »
There was a decent turnout to yesterday's meetup, thanks to all of you that came and made it a great afternoon. Plenty of ideas, stories and laughs were exchanged. For those interested, pictures and follow up can be found on the event page: https://www.meetup.com/Sydney-Mustachians/events/236351899/

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:00 AM »
Glad to know it went well.

I don't feel too bad for missing it (sorry!), we won our cricket match so are still clinging to mathematical hope to reach our semis :D

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Sorry for hinting I might come and then not showing. My old folks are sick and keeping me very busy.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2017, 05:44:36 AM »
How quickly time flies, it's only four sleeps until the next meetup! 25 badasses signed up, that's a new record.

Saturday 25 Feb, 1PM onwards in Prince Alfred Park if the weather is good or Royal Exhibition Pub if the weather is bad.
Meetup link: https://www.meetup.com/Sydney-Mustachians/events/236937795/
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/364228740610947/

Forecast is not so promising right now, but hey, forecasts aren't that much better than a coin flip anyway...

Tin Foil Investors

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »
Hi All!

We had an awesome time at yesterday's meetup - thanks so much for organising!! It was such a nice reception for us first timers :)

I'm all for doing this once a month I think it's so important to push along our goals through like-minded community support and baddassity.

Looking forward to meeting more of you next time :)

Cheers!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2017, 03:36:54 AM »
How quickly time flies, it's only four sleeps until the next meetup! 25 badasses signed up, that's a new record.

Saturday 25 Feb, 1PM onwards in Prince Alfred Park if the weather is good or Royal Exhibition Pub if the weather is bad.
Meetup link: https://www.meetup.com/Sydney-Mustachians/events/236937795/
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/364228740610947/

Forecast is not so promising right now, but hey, forecasts aren't that much better than a coin flip anyway...

Facebook link if broken... what's the URL of the Facebook group???

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2017, 06:20:09 AM »
The weather was bad but we didn't let that stop us. There was a pretty strong turnout and very diverse topics of discussion. A few mediocre pics taken by me on Saturday can be found on the Meetup.com event page or the Facebook event page.

Quote from: Tin Foil Investors
We had an awesome time at yesterday's meetup - thanks so much for organising!! It was such a nice reception for us first timers :)

Glad you had a good time, I did too :) Thanks for coming.

Quote from: stripey
Facebook link if broken... what's the URL of the Facebook group???

Whoops, that might be due to permissions. I'll make the next one public.

Mustachians Australia Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/329636750723874/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:22:08 AM by TimCinel »

Tin Foil Investors

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
So we don't use the Sydney Mustachians Facebook group?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/825740927479005/

Dropbear

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:06 AM »
Thanks for organising, Tim!  I had a great time, and look forward to the next one.

Monthly meetups sound like a good idea too.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Quote from: Tin Foil Investors
So we don't use the Sydney Mustachians Facebook group?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/825740927479005/

That group is very quiet and a bunch of Sydney MMMers were in the Australian group so I've been using that one.

Quote from: Dropbear
Thanks for organising, Tim!  I had a great time, and look forward to the next one.

You got it! Also looking forward to the next one.

Quote from: Dropbear
Monthly meetups sound like a good idea too.

Slightly confused because we're already doing monthly meetups :D Are you referring to the mid-week ones?

That reminds me, I need to organise next month's meetup...

Dropbear

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2017, 05:07:32 AM »
...we're already doing monthly meetups :D

Should have said "monthly meetings are a good idea", but you knew that already ;)

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2017, 05:19:50 AM »
Next Sydney meetup organised:

If you're keen on following the meetups, it might be worth joining the Facebook group, since we may not be able to find anybody to continue funding Meetup at ~ $260 / year. Don't have a Facebook account? You could a single-purpose Facebook account with no personal details, just for this group.

There was some interest in a monthly mid-week evening meetup in the last meetup's RSVP responses. Anybody interested in trying to get that up and running? If not, I'll give it a shot next week.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
I think it's very funny (and a little ironic) that the Sydney group - the last group to get their act together and actually HAVE meetups, even though they were one of the first to try to get a meetup happening - has commandeered the name "Australian" Mustashians on Facebook (especially as they already had a "Sydney" mustashians facebook group)! And that they don't use the meetups thread in the forum to have meetings (as someone who came from Melbourne, I am trying hard not to consider this "typical Sydney behaviour"), and always tell anyone in the forum a very short time before the meetups, when we probably already have something planned. And that the very people who tried so hard at the beginning to get the Sydney people together are not going to the Sydney meetups.

I would dearly like to come to a meetup (being a meetup junkie), but I don't do facebook (you weren't allowed to be on facebook where I worked, and I haven't since I retired).

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »
deborah, if you can't offer your criticism in a constructive manner then I'm afraid I will have to dismiss it as a complainypants tantrum.

I mean, honestly, after coming to the Sydney Meetup thread and then bagging out the thread and its participants, what kind of response do you expect other than a dismissive one?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
Sorry, I thought it was funny, so I said it was - definitely not meant to be complainypants! I am REALLY REALLY glad that you guys have you act together now and there are more Australian meetups.

And it's my choice not to be on FB. This occasionally leads to problems. But, because of my background I really am very reluctant to join it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:49:04 PM by deborah »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »
Deborah... Even thought the time and place is inconvenient for me I can see that Tim and the others do their best to cater for everyone. I don't mind missing out ... I have one mustachio friend here I meet for lunch or drinks regularly. The point of it isn't really to talk mustachey things though.

I think you need to watch Frozen.

"Let it go... let it gooooooooo"

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »

HernandezPrime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
Hi everyone!! I've been looking for people to meet up with in order to discuss FI, and just found this thread! I've sent a request for the Australian Mustachians page, so hopefully I'll be able to start attending. I'm glad there are meet ups in Sydney!

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2017, 03:32:16 AM »
Boy, oh boy. Time does go quickly. It's only a week until the next meetup!

Saturday 18 March, 1PM onwards in Prince Alfred Park if the weather is good or Royal Exhibition Hotel if the weather is bad.

Again, forecast is not so great. Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I want to see more attendees arriving by bike next time - wet weather is not an excuse :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:47:24 AM by TimCinel »

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
Hi guys, Sydney Mustachian here.

I'm keen to meet others thinking FIRE if I am welcome - sending a request for the facebook group

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2017, 04:28:37 AM »
How did the meet up go? I was considering going, but got a little shy. Not knowing anyone in advance is tricky for me :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2017, 06:02:27 AM »
How did the meet up go? I was considering going, but got a little shy. Not knowing anyone in advance is tricky for me :)

You know me! But I was four hours away from Sydney today.

You and I can meet up next weekend instead. Still need to give you my blender.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

You know me! But I was four hours away from Sydney today.

You and I can meet up next weekend instead. Still need to give you my blender.

I have been waiting for this mythical blender for months now! Do you actually have it? :D

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:01 AM »
Quote from: dusty
Hi guys, Sydney Mustachian here.

I'm keen to meet others thinking FIRE if I am welcome - sending a request for the facebook group

Quote from: HernandezPrime
Hi everyone!! I've been looking for people to meet up with in order to discuss FI, and just found this thread! I've sent a request for the Australian Mustachians page, so hopefully I'll be able to start attending. I'm glad there are meet ups in Sydney!

Did you folks end up coming? If so, who were you? If not, do consider coming next time :)

It's funny, we don't always share screen names IRL :D

Quote from: marty998

It went well! Smaller numbers than last time, but it went well. We had 4 newcomers (1 an infant, however) and 8 or so returning Sydney Mustachians. Some photos are posted on the event pages.

Don't be shy! Most of us went for the first time without knowing anybody. Try to remember that we are "your people". It's very likely that we'll have a lot in common and that we'll be able to get along.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:59 AM »

If you're keen on following the meetups, it might be worth joining the Facebook group, since we may not be able to find anybody to continue funding Meetup at ~ $260 / year. Don't have a Facebook account? You could create a single-purpose Facebook account with no personal details, just for this group.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:28:57 AM by TimCinel »

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Hey Tim, Yeah accountability - I came off night shift and it was rainy and my bed was warm - sorry slept thru and didn't yell out.  I am down for the April meet up though.  Apologies for not staying in contact.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2017, 04:54:05 AM »

Marty998, if you pluck up the courage I might even get motivated to drive up to meet you. At my first meet up, I have a moment of truth when I realised I had to walk up to a group of perfect strangers and say "Hi, I'm happy".  And hope like hell they were the right group.  ( they were). I still got all klutzy and spilled my coffee.

If you're keen on following the meetups, it might be worth joining the Facebook group, since we may not be able to find anybody to continue funding Meetup at ~ $260 / year. Don't have a Facebook account? You could create a single-purpose Facebook account with no personal details, just for this group.

Making a single purpose Facebook account is an idea, thanks Tim. I prefer to keep my forum handle/identity not directly linked to my Facebook account. I know, I know clever evil people can work out everything about me when I post, but I'd rather not make it too easy.

I usually travel down to Canberra meet ups, although Sydney is theoretically closer ( just more hassle with transport, traffic, parking etc)....I've been thinking about coming to one, but thus far the timing hasn't worked out.

Edit typo

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2017, 05:11:28 AM »
PS just noticed Prince Alfred Park is right next to Central...trains are sparse on the weekends in my neck of the woods, but would be easier than driving....

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
How quickly time flies, it's less than a week until the next meetup!

Saturday 22 April, 1PM onwards in Prince Alfred Park if the weather is good or Royal Exhibition Pub if the weather is bad. Current forecast indicates good weather. Call me 0400 884 564 if you need help finding us or have any questions.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/383086455410814 (access through this Mustachians Australia group)

The Meetup.com presence is dead. Sadly, we failed to fund it by about $40. This Forum and the Facebook Group are now our primary presences.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »
PS just noticed Prince Alfred Park is right next to Central...trains are sparse on the weekends in my neck of the woods, but would be easier than driving....

That's right. Both wet and dry venues are no more than 5 mins walk from the nearest Central Station exit.

Consider making the trip, we'd love to see you!

Dropbear

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Sweet, thanks Tim, I'll be there!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2017, 03:29:39 AM »
Sorry guys, can't make this Saturday. I have a gift voucher to use for a rather unmustachian photo shoot that I've booked....

Going to get some good tinder *ahem* corporate pics done.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2017, 04:40:08 AM »
I'll be  there Tim - thanks for organising!

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:23 AM »
Sorry guys, can't make this Saturday.

That's too bad, we'll hopefully see you at another one soon. Hopefully before July when I move back to Victoria! ;)

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
Just a heads up - I'll be there about 10-15 min late.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
Thanks to everybody that made it yesterday. The weather ended up being excellent and the company was even better.

Here are some photos from the day:
http://imgur.com/a/gJAUj

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »
The photos are good. The meetup was excellent.

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2017, 06:28:35 AM »
Very disappointed that I couldn't make it. I hope you guys had a great time, the weather was grouse.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:53 AM »
Condrammit, another one I can't attend-- my brother is due to be wed this Saturday. (They're not on the MMM forum but both of them are possibly the most happily naturally frugal couple I know. Their reception is crepes in a park)

atreechange

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »
Hi guys I've recently joined the forums and wanted to know if the meetup is still on today? I don't have FB.

Thanks

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »
NEW MEETUP (MID-WEEK EDITION)

When: 6PM, Wed 25 Oct, 2017
Where: My workplace, near Martin Place / Wynyard (further details upon RSVP)
RSVP: Please email, call, or SMS - email@timcinel.com / 0400 884 564

Back when I organised the Sydney meetup, some of the Sydney attendees expressed interest in a mid-week meetup. I'm in Sydney next week, so ... here goes nothing!

This will be hosted after hours at my workplace on Martin Place. We have plenty of space, board games and limited refreshments will be available.

If this works out well, I'd be happy to organise one of these every couple of months.

Facebook Event (via Mustachians Australia Facebook Group)

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2017, 02:34:47 AM »
Hi Tim -

The midweek meetup is a great idea - I would normally jump at this but won't be in Sydney that day.

Hope it goes well!

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2017, 04:11:49 AM »

When: 6PM, Wed 6 Dec, 2017
RSVP: Please email, call, or SMS - email@timcinel.com / 0400 884 564

We had our first Mid-Week Meetup back in October. Attendence was good, conversations were intersting and laughs were had. Let's do it again!

This will be hosted after hours at my workplace on Martin Place. We have plenty of space, board games and limited refreshments will be available.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:05 PM »
Thanks for organising - hope to see you there

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »
Hopefully me too-- it's been a while since I'v been able to attend anything.

(We'll be going to 'Welcome to NightVale' live in the evening!!! Pretty excited)

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2018, 12:51:52 AM »

When: 6PM, Wed 14 March, 2017
RSVP: Please email, call, or SMS - email@TimCinel.com / 0400 884 564

We had a couple of successful Mid-Week Meetups in 2017. Attendance was good, conversations were interesting and laughs were had. Let's keep it going in 2018!

TimCinel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tim Cinel
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »
The above meetup has been cancelled due to limited interest. Will give more notice next time.

Apologies!