Author Topic: SF/Bay Area?  (Read 195274 times)

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Building an international FIRE!
Re: SF/Bay Area?
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
I'll suggest these two for relative proximity to both BART and CalTrain:

Hotel Utah: A good historic/dive bar. Normally has open mic, but nothing on the calendar so far for the 17th:
http://www.hotelutah.com/

Intercontinental Hotel: assuming there would be some place in the lobby we could hang out? Not sure about this particular hotel, but I've done this at other hotels
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/san-francisco/sfohb/hoteldetail

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
Here's a great listing of the free days at Bay Area museums! Enjoy!

http://sf.funcheap.com/city-guide/monthly-free-museum-days/

Simple1_2_3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
I am a little late in joining the conversation but would love to meet and to learn, as well.    So sorry I missed the Far West Fungi gathering last yer -   absolutely love their annual  event - the best hidden jewel in the Bay Area.  I will keep my 1/17 evening open and appreciate the BART line consideration.  I will be coming from Oakland. 

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
How about Hotel Utah for the 17th/8pm meetup?

wynr

Edit: Is this still going on? Who plans on attending?

Edit: Sorry, I will not be making it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:15:19 PM by wynr »

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »
The following meetup is scheduled for Jan 19th:

https://www.meetup.com/BayAreaMMM/events/236917051/

EmEmEm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2017, 11:33:46 PM »
Sorry, I won't  be up in the city tomorrow after all. Have fun!

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:06 PM »
Good idea!! See you guys Jan 19th!

https://www.meetup.com/BayAreaMMM/events/236917051/

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
Added another meetup for Feb 11th at The Cheese Board Collective.

https://www.meetup.com/BayAreaMMM/events/237554034/

I know it's short notice, but hoping some from the east Bay can make it.

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »
Sorry to zombie the thread, wanted to introduce myself! 
Moving to the south bay area with my hubby in a couple weeks.  Looking for some like minded people in a very expensive town (SO is great about some aspects of Mustachianism, (401K, not living month to month, is planning on cycling to work when we move), but not great about others (Eats out all the time, wants to lease a car etc.)).  Looking for advice about setting up in a new, pricey town.  We're moving cross country, so will be arriving with basic possessions, but will need to buy furniture, restock the pantry etc. 
I currently don't have a job- social-sciences PhD, what I lack in earning potential, I make up in frugalness, so I'm looking for cheap ways to get out and make friends.
Hope to meet some of your soon!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Moving to the south bay area with my hubby in a couple weeks.  Looking for some like minded people in a very expensive town (SO is great about some aspects of Mustachianism, (401K, not living month to month, is planning on cycling to work when we move), but not great about others (Eats out all the time, wants to lease a car etc.)).  Looking for advice about setting up in a new, pricey town.  We're moving cross country, so will be arriving with basic possessions, but will need to buy furniture, restock the pantry etc. 
I currently don't have a job- social-sciences PhD, what I lack in earning potential, I make up in frugalness, so I'm looking for cheap ways to get out and make friends.

How are your quant skills? If you know statistics, R, SQL, etc., you could easily transition to an analyst/data science job, which pays very well. There are some reputable bootcamps, or self-learning options.  Not everyone's cup of tea but I know a couple social science PhD types that made this transition and are doing very well.

Craigslist is a great way to buy stuff around here. Plenty of almost new furniture of a pretty high quality. The main thing to keep in mind for the Bay Area is that housing is really the only outrageous expense around here. You'll pay a lot for it, but it's very possible to practice standard frugality in most other areas.

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:58 AM »

How are your quant skills? If you know statistics, R, SQL, etc., you could easily transition to an analyst/data science job, which pays very well. There are some reputable bootcamps, or self-learning options.  Not everyone's cup of tea but I know a couple social science PhD types that made this transition and are doing very well.

Craigslist is a great way to buy stuff around here. Plenty of almost new furniture of a pretty high quality. The main thing to keep in mind for the Bay Area is that housing is really the only outrageous expense around here. You'll pay a lot for it, but it's very possible to practice standard frugality in most other areas.

That's great advice, thanks for it!  Husband (who is a software programmer) has been pushing the quant stats route.  I have an ok background in statistics and data management (am actually teaching a discipline specific stats course this summer), but virtually no programming knowledge.  I'm going to try and make a go of the academic jobs for another year or two, with a firm end date/plan to transition to another path at the end of that.  Very glad to hear of people who have had success with that transition!

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
I have the opportunity to create a Mustache House here in San Francisco -- a solar-powered, permaculture-friendly house of frugal people.

Would anyone be interested?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/house-in-san-francisco-$3600mo-whole-or-$900person-or-$720person-or/msg1500383/#msg1500383

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
I have the opportunity to create a Mustache House here in San Francisco -- a solar-powered, permaculture-friendly house of frugal people.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/house-in-san-francisco-$3600mo-whole-or-$900person-or-$720person-or/msg1500383/#msg1500383

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »
@ electriceagle: Your thread does not work correctly.  Kindly repost.

What is the location of this Mustachian House in SF?  If you cannot provide the exact address at least share the neighborhood, specs and details about the current condition, occupancy, and if subject to rent control, etc.  Thanks.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.  So the property is located in Hunter's Point.  Interesting. 

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Following. Would be interested in the next meetup. I'm in Marin.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
I would also be interested in the next meetup.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »
Interested too, from Mountain View.

RussellMania

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: June 29, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
Is there anyone else all the way up in Sonoma County?

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
Moving to the Bay Area in July 2017 (specific neighborhood TBD...) - will follow this thread, and look forward to the next meetup!

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #372 on: June 30, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
Santa Rosa in the house.

Easy_E

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2017, 11:38:32 PM »
New to the cult, but I've been living and working in the South Bay for 5 years--currently in Campbell.  I'd be into a meetup.

dismalscience

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • // , I am root! No, I do not wear too much mascara
« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »
  // ,
New to the cult, but I've been living and working in the South Bay for 5 years--currently in Campbell.  I'd be into a meetup.

I just moved to downtown SJ.

If anyone wants to stop by my apartment to compare notes or pass judgment on my unnecessary garden of Linux computers and cluster of plants, let me know.

Will fix electronics and offer Bitcoin advice in exchange for 2-wheeled vehicle repair / advice. :)

Send me a PM with a onetimesecret.com or 0bin.net message with your details, and perhaps we can coincide.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:52:39 PM by dismalscience »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #375 on: July 23, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »

Will fix electronics and offer Bitcoin advice in exchange for 2-wheeled vehicle repair / advice. :)

Send me a PM with a onetimesecret.com or 0bin.net message with your details, and perhaps we can coincide.

dismalscience, I don't understand half of your post :) but welcome! from this life-long Bay Area resident & non-techy person.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
Posting to follow in case there is another Bay Area meet-up.

EJ of DadsDollarsandDebts

« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »
Yes. Please let us know if there is another bay area meet up. I am in Santa Rosa

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »
Posting to follow, in case there are more Bay Area gatherings.

Glyyth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »
new to mustachism, would also be super interested in a Bay Area meetup!! (Wife and I live in Menlo Park)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »
Does anyone use our local metro system and need permit parking at pleasant hill or another nearby station?  I signed up for the wait list like 4 years ago and finally got a hit (too late though).  Pm me within 2 days

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
I see some new members posting.
FYI there is a BAMMM group and they happen to have a hike scheduled for this weekend.
https://www.meetup.com/BayAreaMMM/events/242946007/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
Reap the VC money.  The bay area has a new meal delivery company, (https://www.goodeggs.com/sfbay/home).  First meal up to $25 is free, no commitment, need to buy $30, so $5 total out of pocket gets you a nice discount on otherwise overpriced groceries.  Maybe still more expensive than making your own from scratch, but it was worth it to me and thought I'd share.  I got a $25 kit and added $7 of ACME bread, which I ain't driving to SF or Berkeley for so that's a nice win for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:12:30 PM by dragoncar »

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
FYI there is a BAMMM group and they happen to have a hike scheduled for this weekend.

This meetup group is currently in danger of shutting down due to lack of an organizer. Perhaps the members plan to migrate it to a Facebook group? If I still lived in the Bay Area, then I'd step up as the organizer as I enjoyed meeting so many people in this group when I lived in SF.

By the way, I'm in town for the next 2 weeks in case anyone wants to meet with me. I retired on 9/8/17.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »

This meetup group is currently in danger of shutting down due to lack of an organizer. Perhaps the members plan to migrate it to a Facebook group? If I still lived in the Bay Area, then I'd step up as the organizer as I enjoyed meeting so many people in this group when I lived in SF.

By the way, I'm in town for the next 2 weeks in case anyone wants to meet with me. I retired on 9/8/17.

Even without an organizer, meetings appear to occur. Hopefully, someone can step up in the role so the group doesn't disappear. Still, my vote is for Facebook group, way easier to follow.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #385 on: September 28, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »

Even without an organizer, meetings appear to occur. Hopefully, someone can step up in the role so the group doesn't disappear. Still, my vote is for Facebook group, way easier to follow.

Facebook?  No way, I'm not letting you guy see my cat pics

GroceryBaggins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
Is there a facebook group?

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #387 on: October 30, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
Reap the VC money.  The bay area has a new meal delivery company, (https://www.goodeggs.com/sfbay/home).  First meal up to $25 is free, no commitment, need to buy $30, so $5 total out of pocket gets you a nice discount on otherwise overpriced groceries.  Maybe still more expensive than making your own from scratch, but it was worth it to me and thought I'd share.  I got a $25 kit and added $7 of ACME bread, which I ain't driving to SF or Berkeley for so that's a nice win for me.

Thanks for the review! I got a thing in the mail about this deal and was wandering if it was worth going for.

ETA: I have seen ACME at the Sunnyvale farmer's market, possibly at yours too?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:46:17 PM by KS »

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »
Is there a facebook group?

There is now, kinda. Here's a brand new group, a branch from the related ChooseFI podcast group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529303437150828/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2017, 04:25:31 AM »

Thanks for the review! I got a thing in the mail about this deal and was wandering if it was worth going for.

ETA: I have seen ACME at the Sunnyvale farmer's market, possibly at yours too?
$10 delivery charge unless you spend $50.  Seems to make it pricey anyway.  Was there free delivery before?

Yes it was free delivery for my first $30 order (net $5).  Looks like they changed the promo or “fixed the bug.”  I guess $15 for $30 “worth” of dinner ain’t too bad, but IMO it’s pushing how good the deal really is.  Closer to a groupon than a slick deal.

That reminds me that my first order was actually about an hour late due to some extra crazy traffic that day (freeway was shut down for shooting).  They gave me a $10 credit to apologize but I really don’t want to spend $50 on what basically amounts to expensive personal shopping

The food quality was good though.  Thought it was funny they gave me a whole garlic head when recipe calls for a couple cloves
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:39:21 AM by dragoncar »

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
When I tried GoodEggs it was free delivery with $30 minimum, and I used the $25 offer to only spend $5.  The recipe and food quality was great, but I wouldn't order at full price. Honestly, it inspired me to make the same thing myself from scratch next time!

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
posting to follow

jkitiara

• Stubble
    • My journal: The Most Expensive City in the US and How I Got Here
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »
Even if there aren't many physical meetups, I'd love to trade tips and such with other Bay Area folks.

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #393 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
Hey savers! New Meetup in Mountain View this Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/events/135239063851926/?notif_t=plan_edited&notif_id=1514870284792598

Deets:
Sat Jan 6, high noon
Asian Box
142 Castro St.
Mountain View, CA 94041
Phone (650) 584-3947
http://www.asianbox.com

bowg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
I'm in Fremont, looks like I joined this forum a few days too late, hopefully I can make the next one!

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #395 on: March 16, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
Check out https://www.meetup.com/BayAreaMMM/

There's currently something planned for March 24th on the Stanford University Campus.

Vasilisa

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
Hello all! The Santa Cruz Meetup Group will be having a hike at Henry Cowell this Sunday, July 22nd, 10am. Meet outside the gift shop and we'll do the Pipeline trail which is a 1.5/2 hour hike depending on pace and lingering.

We are also planning a second hike Sunday, September 23rd, probably at Fall Creek, details to be worked out.

Jump over to the Monterey Bay-Santa Cruz/Salinas/Monterey thread if you're interested in venturing south to join us or PM me.

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
Bummer!! One of the few weekends I'll be OOT this summer! Have fun! I put the September date on my calendar. Looking fwd to meeting fellow SC MMM's!

Blimps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hi and Hello
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
Any mustachian scrabble players in the east bay?

My friends and I have found scrabble to be an ultra enjoyable mustachian activity.  Anyone interested in meeting up and playing some scrabble? I live in Oakland near Lake Merrit, which would be a great place to play.

Open to other games as well.

Vasilisa

• Stubble
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
The Santa Cruz Meetup Group will be having a hike at Quail Hollow Ranch Sunday, September 23rd, 10am. We'll be meeting in the main parking lot area and will decide on the trail together.

Would love to have you join us! Jump over to the Monterey Bay-Santa Cruz/Salinas/Monterey thread if you're interested in joining us or PM me.