Author Topic: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017  (Read 40561 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
Oh my inner narcissist is asking why MJ is the guest of honour.. I thought it was all about me?...:)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Because her trip started it all.

I will be in Seattle from Tuesday, Feb 21 - Saturday, Feb 25. There will be group meetups on the 24th and 25th, and quite a few forum folk will be flying in for a few days. Use this thread to coordinate flights/hotels/transportation.

The party continues in Portland on the 26th, if anyone wants to attend both.

We can coordinate more easily over email than PM, so if I don't have your contact info already, gimme! I promise not to sell to the Russians.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
Uhhh... Right.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
I figured I'd use that as a way to tell if folks knew me back when on SLF when I actually used my real name.  :)  Of course, I believe with that I'm memorable enough that the one or two of you who will be there would actually remember it...

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
I figured I'd use that as a way to tell if folks knew me back when on SLF when I actually used my real name.  :)  Of course, I believe with that I'm memorable enough that the one or two of you who will be there would actually remember it...

I think I am one of those people. (SLF since 2003). I was excited to prove my excellent memory. =)
But I'm not 100% sure I have it right.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Close counts.  :)  So you remember the Lindi/Gary taunts and gloats?  I do miss that.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Frank, I was going to suggest that you could be the FIREd guest of honor, but then I realized that JS, shadowmoss, and maybe FrugalZony might also be coming-- I am as bad as Reed at playing favorites so I guess you all are just going to have to duke it out in my garage or push each other down the stairs at the trailhead or something.

Hey, somebody on my journal was saying they want to see Lhamo's Fight Club.   This will be the special FIREd edition!

First rule of Fight Club.. You do NOT talk about Fight Club!

I thought we could all wear those cheesy name tags.. "Hello my name is Bert.. AKA Slarty Bartfast".. That sort of thing...:)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
I'm good with name tags. I'm pretty face-blind so that would be helpful.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
I vote name tags as well.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
You know if you give this group self-fillable name tags, mad fuckery is sure to follow. Yes?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
You know if you give this group self-fillable name tags, mad fuckery is sure to follow. Yes?

Naturally...:)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »

I would hope for nothing less.

But knowing lhamo's organizational skills, she'll probably pre-fill our name tags.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »

But knowing lhamo's organizational skills, she'll probably pre-fill our name tags.

I think you are spot on, MJ. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
Heavy posters should get gold name tags. They can be bartered in for access to the Foreigners Corner. Canadians' eligibility will be decided on a case by case basis.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »

I think you are spot on, MJ.

Dude, it's not organization skills.   It's a need for CONTROL!!!!!!

It's time I admit to you all that my name is really Steve. Please fill out my name tag appropriately.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:02:24 PM by Sailor Sam »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
Oh God, you mean people will know who I am? This won't be like the Portland meetups, where I can pretend to be happily anonymous and NOT a psycho who posts like 12 times a day here?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
You mean there might be people who are NOT psychos on this forum??

Geez.. I better leave my axe behind in such polite company..:)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
Close counts.  :)  So you remember the Lindi/Gary taunts and gloats?  I do miss that.
I remember them! Such interesting, charming and extremely attractive people ;-).

Wish I could make it up there for the Monkey Jengapalooza and Smut Fest but stuck in SoCal and must find a way to .uddle thru the sunny 75 degree days (soooo horrible!). Have fun ya all.

Booooo-urns.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »

Wish I could make it up there for the Monkey Jengapalooza and Smut Fest but stuck in SoCal and must find a way to .uddle thru the sunny 75 degree days (soooo horrible!). Have fun ya all.

Booooo-urns.

Agreed MJ. And I found that part that I put in bold particularly unnecessary. Almost MEAN.

As for me...I'm not quite the jet setters that 94 and Jessa appear to be as evidenced by their choice of THE WESTIN. I'll be rockin' the Hampton Inn beside Northgate Mall.

To everyone who offered me the chance to surf your couches...thank you. I may well take you up on this in the future...in return I can extend an offer for you to come and chill on a little island for a spell. :)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2017, 09:09:20 AM »
Looking to split hotel room? PM me. :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »

Well in my defense it DID rain here for a few days and might even rain again...oh and it was a bone chilling 60 degrees (which is some weird other number in Canada temps) so you shoyld  pity poor poor me ;-).  Maybe in April once my roommate returns to Alaska I'll do a weekend meet up here and you can all stay at my house (and it is half way to Baja...just saying).

ETA: And you can bring your dogs too! Bignfullynfenced back yard and doggie proof house with dog friendly furniture (which ALL creatures great and small (that includes Jon Snow) are welcome on). It could be a Pupapalooza Par-Tay.

I'm just trying to figure out if Spartana meant to refer to me as a "creature".

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
Hope everything's okay lhamo.

As for me...I'm not quite the jet setters that 94 and Jessa appear to be as evidenced by their choice of THE WESTIN. I'll be rockin' the Hampton Inn beside Northgate Mall.

FOR HOW MANY NIGHTS, SNOW?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I'm afraid I need to cancel the plan to hang out at my place on Friday, 2/24.   Really sorry, but there are other things I need to be focusing on.

I will leave it to you all to make a revised plan.   Feel free to change anything I had already suggested as best suits the group.

No worries, lhamo.    Very understandable.   :)   

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I'm afraid I need to cancel the plan to hang out at my place on Friday, 2/24.   Really sorry, but there are other things I need to be focusing on.

I will leave it to you all to make a revised plan.   Feel free to change anything I had already suggested as best suits the group.

Completely understand, lhamo.  Take care of yourself first!  :)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »

I can't believe you're really coming. That's so cool!!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
Can MJ update the first post with the latest agreed upon schedule? Use big fonts and spell out everything for the simpletons like me who thought the  house party was on Saturday. I am having a hard time keeping track of all the events.

If all else fails, my apartment complex lets me book the "club house" for free. There is a kitchen and a patio and ample seating. It's right by the space needle, which is walking distance from the downtown hotels.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Can MJ update the first post with the latest agreed upon schedule? Use big fonts and spell out everything for the simpletons like me who thought the  house party was on Saturday. I am having a hard time keeping track of all the events.

If all else fails, my apartment complex lets me book the "club house" for free. There is a kitchen and a patio and ample seating. It's right by the space needle, which is walking distance from the downtown hotels.

That sounds like a great option.
Thanks to all the local people helping get this set up for us out of towners.

lhamo, I hope you will make it out to some of the activities. I'd love to meet you. But of course you prioritize for you.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »

If someone spells it out for simpletons like me, I'll update the first post. I think your club house idea is good.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
I laughed.  Then again, I've been 'getting' your humor for several years now.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »

FOR HOW MANY NIGHTS, SNOW?

Why do I get the impression that if I answer incorrectly things won't go well for me? one

Although now I feel bad about my first post. Guess my attempt to be funny didn't work. Sorry.

Oh it worked!

I was just playing my role as the forum's preeminent "straight man". A little too well in this case perhaps.  As my Wondertwin you can call me whatever you want. :)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »

I can't believe you're really coming. That's so cool!!

:) Is probable. I am looking forward to seeing Seattle and meeting everyone.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »

The clubhouse idea is awesome! Thanks for offering that, founding member of the Foreigners' Corner. Can you reserve it for Friday the 24th? Even if the plan changes, it's good to have it as a backup.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »

The clubhouse idea is awesome! Thanks for offering that, founding member of the Foreigners' Corner. Can you reserve it for Friday the 24th? Even if the plan changes, it's good to have it as a backup.

Thirding (I think?) the clubhouse support. If the Space Needle is visible then I can just bike over from work instead of trying to figure out mass transit, so it's even more convenient for me.

I'm so excited to meet so many of you. It's like a who's-who of MMM forum celebrities and my favorite posters. :)

lhamo - hope everything is okay on your end!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
I think I will cancel my hotel in North Seattle and book a place near the Space Needle.

Thanks Seattle people for pulling this together!    :) 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
Can someone summarize the new plan? I'll update the first post.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
PLAN OF THE MEETUP

Thursday, 23-Feb-2017

1600: Meet at Starbucks on the 40th floor of the Columbia Tower (701 5th Ave, Seattle)

ETA: Move from Starbucks, to happy hour, or dinner or, strolling downtown

1830: Los Lobos concert begins (216 Union Street, Seattle)

Friday 24-Feb-2017

ETA: Casual hanging out at Paul der Krake's apartment's clubouse (belltown, near space needle). If Paul's place falls through, we can use my apartment as a staging area, but we can't hang out all day because the place is tiny. Plus I won't be home and I don't trust MJ to keep you guys out of my stuff.

Activity ideas near Paul's: Space needle, Experence Music Project, wandering freely, Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum, Paific Science Museum, Pike Place.
Activity ideas near Reed's: Burke Gilman trail walk, Magneuson Park (dogs!), Metropolitan Market, the Sound Garden
Activities near no one: Ballard Locks, Museum of Flight, Seattle Aquarim, Seattle Great Wheel, Woodland Park Zoo, Greenlake

1700: Happy hour drinks and food at Double J. Saloon (12534 Lake City Way NE Seattle)

Other contenders that take large groups: Elliot Bay Brewery (12537 Lake City Way NE, Seattle), Cooper's Ale House (8065 Lake City Way NE Seattle), The Ram Brewery (University Village, 2650 NE University Village St, Seattle)

ETA: Rolling home drunk

Saturday 25-Feb-2017

1100: Meet at Olympic Sculpture Park (by big red giraffy sculpture). Walk the loop route up the waterfront, and back to Seattle Center

1200-ish: Lunch at Center House (brown bag for those who want)

After Lunch: individual tourist activities, as desired. See 'Activity ideas near Paul's' for nearby locations.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
I put in a request for the club house from 12 to 4 on Friday the 24th. Once confirmed, I will get a list of attendees and share my exact location and contact information privately.

I have to put down a $300 security deposit as an incentive to not destroy the place, so y'all better behave.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2017, 11:13:11 PM »
Does it have any chandeliers from which to swing?

Quimby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2017, 11:44:13 PM »
What luck! I found this forum today and the Seattle meet up is next week!! Relocated here four months ago so excited to meet all you Mustachians from here and farther afield! I'll join for the Sat events and possibly Thurs.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »

If not, I can bring my pet bull instead.

Thanks Paul for providing a venue (crosses fingers it works out). Since Lhamo had to rescind her generous offer, do we need to make new plans for food? We could still do tacos or we could do a more potluck style?

There's certainly no shortage of drinking establishments downtown for later in the evening, if the mood strikes. I can vouch for the Pike brewery (right next to Pike Place), although it's a bit of a walk from the space needle.

Lhamo, I hope all is okay. I was looking forward to seeing you again on Saturday, but it sounds like it'll have to be next time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »

If not, I can bring my pet bull instead.

Thanks Paul for providing a venue (crosses fingers it works out). Since Lhamo had to rescind her generous offer, do we need to make new plans for food? We could still do tacos or we could do a more potluck style?

There's certainly no shortage of drinking establishments downtown for later in the evening, if the mood strikes. I can vouch for the Pike brewery (right next to Pike Place), although it's a bit of a walk from the space needle.

Lhamo, I hope all is okay. I was looking forward to seeing you again on Saturday, but it sounds like it'll have to be next time.

Potluck style might be a good plan. That way the burden doesn't end up on anyone one person too much.

familyFIguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
Check this out! Talk about good timing as I was just looking up meetups in the area. I'll see you all on the 23rd at Starbucks!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2017, 07:08:09 PM »
The club house reservation was approved. Here are some important details:

It is reserved from noon to 4pm on Friday, the 24th of February.
There is a limit of 25 guests. If you plan on coming, you need to let me know so I can get an accurate headcount.
There is a gas stove, an oven, and a microwave, but no pots and pans. My wife will kill me if I let internet strangers touch her fancy cookware, so if you need something, you bring it.
There is a large fridge to store food and drinks.
I will need to greet everyone at the door to get into the building.
For those of you driving into town, you will be able to find parking, but it won't be free. I can look into the prices if anyone needs it.
No smoking of any sort.

PM me with with your name (first name is enough) and the number of people coming with you. When we get closer to the date, I will respond to everyone with the exact address and my phone number.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Thank you so much for doing this, Paul!  Looking forward to meeting you!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Thank you so much for doing this, Paul!  Looking forward to meeting you!

++++1  !   

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »
PM sent.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »
I'm coming!  I will get in the 23rd at 6:42pm so I will miss the concert, unfortunately.  And I'll be leaving the 26th at 11:45.

Have not made any decisions about hotels yet.
Yay!  This will be so fun!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:55 AM »
Woo hoo!!!

Jessa and I have made the decision about your hotel!  :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2017, 06:19:11 AM »
I'm coming!  I will get in the 23rd at 6:42pm so I will miss the concert, unfortunately.  And I'll be leaving the 26th at 11:45.

Have not made any decisions about hotels yet.
Yay!  This will be so fun!

I am looking forward to meeting you! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!