Author Topic: Seattle? Oz?  (Read 45130 times)

icefr

• Bristles
Re: Seattle? Oz?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
Argh, I thought you'd said the 11th, which would have worked out perfectly, but I'm unsure about the 18th - I don't have a bye that week. I'll let you know closer to the date.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »

Gasworks is a great idea. It's centrally located, just off a major bike trail, and has both under-cover and open-air picnicking space. Hopefully we won't need the under-cover area, but this is Seattle after all.

How about a potluck picnic on Saturday, May 18th at 12:30pm?

Gasworks on May 18th sounds good to me.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
Well now, I will be in Seattle on the 18th.  And I can bring the small one along to a lunchtime park do.  Bravo!  I might punch myself in the face and drive though, we aren't up to speed on the weehoo just yet.  If anyone wants to carpool from the LFP/Lake City area, send me a PM and we can touch base between now and then. 

I just know that one of you will end up being a high school cohort or something.  Hehe.  High five in advance!

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
I would love to meet up with some Seattle folks. 

I will be in town on the 18th.

I have a brunch I have to attend on Saturday morning but I may be able to head out early and meet up with folks  - I will be coming from Bellevue.  Can I take a bus from Bellevue to any of the locations suggested? 

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
I would love to meet up with some Seattle folks. 

I will be in town on the 18th.

I have a brunch I have to attend on Saturday morning but I may be able to head out early and meet up with folks  - I will be coming from Bellevue.  Can I take a bus from Bellevue to any of the locations suggested?

That should be doable, if you're patient. If you can get yourself to a transit station or park&ride in Bellevue, many buses will take you to downtown Seattle. From there you can take a bus pretty much anywhere in Seattle. Here's an example trip from Bellevue to Gas Works park:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bellevue,+WA&daddr=Gas+Works+Park,+North+Northlake+Way,+Seattle,+WA&hl=en&geocode=FQl61gIdmV23-ClBYKajz2uQVDFlB9DqglTPug%3BFbgC1wIdW1K1-CGWYUnsq1VuHil_sFuyAhWQVDGWYUnsq1VuHg&oq=bellevue&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&z=13&start=0

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the info Yolfer - I will see what I can do.  We have a wedding that evening back in Bellevue so will have limited time - I may see if i can get my husband to come too.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
That sounds great!  I plan on bringing my husband and kids along too. 

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »
Ok, looks like we have a quorum of folks who are probably able to make it. I'll start a new forum thread with details. Cross your fingers for good weather!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:05 PM »
Here's the new thread for the Seattle meetup:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/seattle-meetup-may-18-gas-works-park/

Hope to see you there!

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »
We're pretty close to gasworks.
Thanks for declaring a date!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
We're pretty close to gasworks.
Thanks for declaring a date!

You're welcome! I figured I'd just take a stab at organizing something.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
I'll be in Seattle visiting this Wednesday through Sunday if anyone's interested in meeting up.  It's my first time in Seattle, and I would appreciate any mustachian insight I can get.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
I'll be in Seattle visiting this Wednesday through Sunday if anyone's interested in meeting up.  It's my first time in Seattle, and I would appreciate any mustachian insight I can get.

I'm not available but if you toss out some ideas of things you like to do (and the part of Seattle you'll be in), I can point you in the right direction for some fun activities.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
I'm staying at citihostel on 2nd ave.  I'm currently between jobs and on a cross country road trip to decide where I want to live next.  I like to hike and bike and sail and paddle.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
I'm staying at citihostel on 2nd ave.  I'm currently between jobs and on a cross country road trip to decide where I want to live next.  I like to hike and bike and sail and paddle.

Stuff on the water is going to be expensive unless you have the vessel (or know someone who does). Here's the first resource that came to mind:

https://sites.google.com/site/seattlemetrobushiking/

It's a list of hikes that are accessible by public transit. Also, the Seattle Reddit community has a lot of social listings (though it's pretty heavy on pub crawls): http://www.reddit.com/r/seattle/

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
It looks like you are probably already out of Seattle, but the University has a pretty reasonably priced canoe/row boat rental on Lake Washington

http://www.washington.edu/ima/wac/canoe-boat-rentals/

There are several kayak options for $13-15/hr that can be found with a google search.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  For info: the center for wooden boats has all you can sail memberships for $400/yr.  I tried to rent a sailboat there, but they didn't have any instructors there who could do a checkout for me, so I hung around the dock for 5 min until I found a guy willing to take on a passenger, and then proceeded to enjoy 2.5 hours of sailing on Lake Union for free (I did buy the guy dinner in Fremont afterwards, so net cost, $20 in beer and pizza).  Great way to get on the water if you like to sail and don't have friends with boats or want the hassle of ownership.  Last Saturday afternoon on the water was beautiful, and I got the obligatory video of seaplanes taking off and landing as we sailed.  Good times. :)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  For info: the center for wooden boats has all you can sail memberships for $400/yr.  I tried to rent a sailboat there, but they didn't have any instructors there who could do a checkout for me, so I hung around the dock for 5 min until I found a guy willing to take on a passenger, and then proceeded to enjoy 2.5 hours of sailing on Lake Union for free (I did buy the guy dinner in Fremont afterwards, so net cost, $20 in beer and pizza).  Great way to get on the water if you like to sail and don't have friends with boats or want the hassle of ownership.  Last Saturday afternoon on the water was beautiful, and I got the obligatory video of seaplanes taking off and landing as we sailed.  Good times. :)

Sounds like a pretty mustachian excursion! Glad you had a good time here in Seattle. You certainly picked a good week for it, weather-wise.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
Okay Seattle, I'm in town July 24-29.

Who's free?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »
Absolutely! Wednesday or Friday probably work the best for me.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »
I might be in town the weekend of the 27-28, not sure yet though.  I'll check back in.  :) 

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
Sounds like fun. Let me know your plans.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
I'll be in town visiting friends and family (grew up there and all my family still lives there).  The wife can't make this one, as she's teaching summer school, so I'm going solo.

My schedule is basically wide open, except for Friday morning when I'm going to the Seahawks Training camp (Go Hawks!)

So whatever day/time works best for everyone else.  :)

(And we'll be back up at Christmas for a week or two if everyone's busy that particular weekend.)

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
Okay Seattle, I'm in town July 24-29.

Who's free?

Dang, I'll be out of town. Enjoy your visit! Hope you get to meet up with some other Seattle Mustachians.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
Dang, I'll be out of town. Enjoy your visit! Hope you get to meet up with some other Seattle Mustachians.

Booo.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
Hey, Rebel!

I'm up for it. Saturday evening is a no-go for me, but otherwise I should be pretty free.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
I am not going to make it down to Seattle this weekend.  :(  Sorry to miss out on meeting you this time! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
I am not going to make it down to Seattle this weekend.  :(  Sorry to miss out on meeting you this time! 

Darn.

Okay, well we have one "Wednesday or Friday" and one "No Saturday Evening" - any other inputs?  :)

Herr Handlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Novice Mustachian Getting Less Novice Everyday
    • Becoming Mustachian: One Family's Journey Toward Early Retirement
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »
I was in Vegas for work (and not being a spendy McSpendy pants). How was your visit?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »
I was in Vegas for work (and not being a spendy McSpendy pants). How was your visit?

Quite amazing, but so busy.  I actually meant to get together with Sol, but my trip just flew by, I actually didn't end up with a single moment that was unscheduled (I.e. if we had done some sort of meetup, I'd have had to cancel something else planned).  Got to spend lots of time with friends and family.

You guys are having a gorgeous summer, btw.

I'll be back up visiting family around Christmas time/New Years, maybe some of us can get together then?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »

Quite amazing, but so busy.  I actually meant to get together with Sol, but my trip just flew by, I actually didn't end up with a single moment that was unscheduled (I.e. if we had done some sort of meetup, I'd have had to cancel something else planned).  Got to spend lots of time with friends and family.

You guys are having a gorgeous summer, btw.

I'll be back up visiting family around Christmas time/New Years, maybe some of us can get together then?

I'll most likely be around. Hit us up when you know more!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
Quite amazing, but so busy.  I actually meant to get together with Sol, but my trip just flew by...  I'll be back up visiting family around Christmas time/New Years, maybe some of us can get together then?

Let's shoot for a holiday meetup, then.  I can pretty much guarantee you the weather won't be anywhere near as nice.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
Deal!

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
I'd be up for a holiday meet-up as well. I don't usually go out of town for *that* long at Christmastime.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
I should be in town during the holidays, not sure exactly when yet but I have most of the week of Christmas off.  Chances are good that I'll be down the weekend before Christmas too.  I'll be in the north end, Lake Forest Park area. 

I feel like the Holidays are going to pretty much zoom up on us this year, the way the rest of the year has gone. 

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
I want to met up with all you again.  It was really fun last time. I'll check in here every once in a while to see what the plan is.  I'm bummed I didn't notice Arebelspy was in town because he is one of my favorite posters!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
I want to met up with all you again.  It was really fun last time. I'll check in here every once in a while to see what the plan is.  I'm bummed I didn't notice Arebelspy was in town because he is one of my favorite posters!

Agreed! You can organize a meetup, it's not that hard. You're the one with the big mustache sign anyway, right? Just walk around with it until you get a group of followers :)

Kidding aside, just pick a time and place and I'm sure that out of all the Seattle folks on here, enough will be able to attend to make it a fun get-together.

mowgil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
are there any other seattle meet ups planned currently?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
are there any other seattle meet ups planned currently?

Not to my knowledge.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Hi All.  I have always wanted to go to the Arboretum and I thought it would be fun to organize a meetup there towards the end of September (either the 21st or the 28th) around noon.  We could bring a picnic lunch like last time and catch up.  Anyone interested?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Hi All.  I have always wanted to go to the Arboretum and I thought it would be fun to organize a meetup there towards the end of September (either the 21st or the 28th) around noon.  We could bring a picnic lunch like last time and catch up.  Anyone interested?

Great idea! It's such a beautiful spot, but it's extra beautiful that time of year. The trees are getting fall colors yet there's still a chance of warmish/dryish weather. I'm free the 21st. Gotta make sure we figure out exactly where to meet, that place is BIG!

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »
I'm free the 21st. The 28th is out. Thanks for organizing.

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2013, 12:12:26 AM »
I'm pretty new here and haven't been to the other meet ups (except the one where MMM was here).  But I'll come if we're in town that weekend.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Hi all.  Here is a link to the arboretum map
http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/docs/ArboretumMap.jpg
I looked at potential meeting spots on the website and I think the Woodland Garden lawn between the two ponds sounds like a good place to meet.  Let's do it on September 21st at noon! I'll make sure I bring my big red mustache sign so we can find each other. Anyone is welcome!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
Awesome, I'll be there! I'll see if I can talk the rest of the fam into joining me.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25:02 AM »
I will try to make it there too.

Ductyl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
I've added it to my calendar, hope to see you all there!

mowgil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
I will try to make it too!

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »
I'm reviving this post in hopes of snagging a few more mustachians.  So far it looks like we got a great bunch of people coming!  I'm looking forward to it.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
I've put it on my calendar. Should be fun!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!