Author Topic: Winnipeg, Manitoba  (Read 5491 times)

msagansk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Winnipeg, Manitoba
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Based on the number of Winnipeggers that responded to the latest blog post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/10/case-study-average-everyday-complainypants-seeks-redemption/ I thought there might be enough interested in meeting up. And here I thought I was the only one...

Let me know!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Re: Winnipeg, Manitoba
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
I had no idea the latest blog post was about Winnipeg people- I don't read every one I'll admit.

But here I am, another Winnipeg person. I'd be willing to meet others but I'm not super frugal and not into the cult/religious bandwagon that some people seem to be on here.
I'm more about spending aligned with my values, and early retirement for the freedom, but not at all costs. However I do abhor mindless consumption and have a 40-50% savings rate. So if you're interested in that type of thing I'm happy to talk to you. I know how hard it is to find like-minded individuals. All the like minded people I know, except my husband, live in other provinces or countries.

Endersmom

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
I'm in winnipeg not super mustachian but enjoy the community even if it's mostly as a lurker. My husband laughs at me because everytime I see someone on a bike in our winters I always wonder out loud if they are a mustachian.

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
Also in Winnipeg.

Even if it's just a small group of us, it would be great to meet up.

We should do it mustachian-style (i.e. in a park or in someone's backyard).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
I'm up for meeting people. Knowing Winnipeg some of us might already have real life connections. I think a park or public space would be better for a first meeting. I was just at Across the Board Game Cafe last night. It's a pretty cool place to get to know people over an activity for the introverts among us.

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »
Just got in touch with David Cain from http://www.Raptitude.com. He's also interested in attending a Winnipeg get together.

If you're not familiar with his work, you may want to read this MMM post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/03/24/how-to-walk-across-a-parking-lot-introducing-raptitude/

If we get more replies, I'm happy to help organize a meetup with some potential dates & times. If you have suggestions, feel free to add them to this thread (thanks already Kestra).

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
I'm up for meeting people. Knowing Winnipeg some of us might already have real life connections. I think a park or public space would be better for a first meeting. I was just at Across the Board Game Cafe last night. It's a pretty cool place to get to know people over an activity for the introverts among us.

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
Just got in touch with David Cain from http://www.Raptitude.com. He's also interested in attending a Winnipeg get together.

If you're not familiar with his work, you may want to read this MMM post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/03/24/how-to-walk-across-a-parking-lot-introducing-raptitude/

I was not familiar with him but it looks up my alley, especially with my current lifestyle of random hippy-ish minimalism. Thanks for the tip.

allisonn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
I think a meetup would be great. I would love to meet some local Mustachians

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
I tried to start a Meet-Up group for us, then found out it cost money. Do others want a FB group? I kind of like the email notifications that you get with Meet-up or FB groups, but don't get with the forum. Or we can just discuss Winnipeg events here.

allisonn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
I'm interested in that!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
I'm interested in that!

Okay, I made us a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/419560841579451/
Please add yourself if you are interested. It's a Closed group, so your other friends can't see what you post there unless they are also part of the group.

If you have a picture for the cover page or a better idea for the description let me know. I'm new to the group-making thing, so I'm assuming I'd have to make changes, but I don't know that for sure. I'm considering this our group, not my group so post whatever you want. But I think we'll all agree we don't want spammy stuff. I'm not sure how much moderation will be required. I'll see how it goes.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
Bumping this for those of you who aren't members of the FB group I started. I'm having a few people over on Friday, July 3. In Winnipeg, near Polo Park. If you may be interested in attending let me know here or through Facebook and I'll send you the details.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 12:57:19 AM »
Hi all! I'm an Australian who is moving to Winnipeg at the end of the year. My boyfriend is in the military and that's his new posting so I'm joining him there once I finish my degree (chemical engineering, in case anyone is hiring).

I have a ton of questions about being mustiachian in Winnipeg, mostly around the cost utility of buying over renting or operty. Seems comparatively cheap, but we would be there for 3 years max so would want something that is easy to sell (profitable would be a nice bonus as well). We like living close enough to downtown that we can walk/cycle around, and luckily he's at the airport base so commuting by bike shouldn't be an issue for him. I have no idea where I'll be working, which makes things interesting. Anyways I just thought I'd throw out the buying/renting dilemma to the floor to see what you all think.

I've requested to join the Facebook group as well, and I hope to meet you all at a meet up sometime after I arrive!

kev994

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 04:53:54 AM »
The base is in the west side of the airport, lots of people bike there.

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »
Bumping this for those of you who aren't members of the FB group I started. I'm having a few people over on Friday, July 3. In Winnipeg, near Polo Park. If you may be interested in attending let me know here or through Facebook and I'll send you the details.

Sorry I missed it KMMK. I checked out the FB Group and have made a request to join. Thanks for taking the initiative.

ldk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
another Winnipegger here:)  Also made a request to join the FB group--hopefully we can get a Meet-up planned at some point!

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
another Winnipegger here:)  Also made a request to join the FB group--hopefully we can get a Meet-up planned at some point!

Great! Welcome aboard ldk. Looking forward to meeting you.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:23 PM »
Reviving this as we are planning Winnipeg activities this week. @snacky is hosting @tardis tomorrow and myself on Tues.
There’s another thread: party at Snacky’s house with newer info. Can someone link? Hard to do on my phone. Also if anyone is still in old FB group can you link that? I withdrew myself when I moved and couldn’t find it again.
(I’m formerly Kestra)