Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401188 times)

meatgrinder

• Stubble
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
I'm down for the meet-up on the 26th.  Live right next door in Wallingford and will bring some home brews.

Also, lived in Seattle for 7 years and never heard of the CD?  Central District?

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
Yes, the CD = central district. . . .

I'll try to make it - did you want to post this on the FB page too?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
@brandonbrews - A potluck sounds awesome, I will see if we're available that weekend, and let you know. I may not have any homebrews to share, but I could certainly offer up some good Irish whiskey for the occasion!

Disclaimer: DW and I just put in an offer on a new place, with a closing date in mid-late March, so we may have to cancel in favor of moving, but otherwise we're in! I'll PM you once we know for sure what our plans are.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

lmvzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
The recent meetup in Lake Forest Park was my first MMM meetup and it was awesome, so I guess I should be on the forums now.  I was that late-twenties, aspiring accountant, just went car-less lady.  Hey!

-Lauren

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
Hi Lauren, welcome. Cruise around the forum, start a journal, have some fun. It's a good place to be.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully we can keep the good conversations going from the last meetup.  My wife Deb and I wanted to get Saturday March 26th on the calendar to host a potluck at our place in the Greenlake/Tangletown area. 

Feel free to bring any food or beverages you'd like to share.  Bonus points for MMM-inspired recipes that are cheap, healthy, and delicious.  I'll have a couple beers and a cider on tap.  We do have a friendly dog, for anyone who needs to know for allergies.  PM me if you're interested and I'll send out our address and the particulars. 

Also, 3/26 is still a ways off so don't let this preclude other gatherings before then! 

Brandon

What a great idea! I should be able to make it and will bring a hearty frugal vegetarian dish of some sort. WIll PM you. Thank you for doing this.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
Sorry to go off topic - will make it very brief. Can anyone recommend a good Internet provider? Comcast just informed us that, oh by the way, our monthly payment will double. So, I'm shopping around to see what else is out there. Thanks!

Curious Cricket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »
I just gave Comcast the boot and switched to century link. Getting rid of Comcast was a great feeling

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
@ceeteebee, maybe we need to make the potluck a moving party.  Regardless, good luck.

@ Lauren, welcome!

I'm looking forward to the potluck.  I'll send out details mid-March to those who are interested.  Too bad it's a ways off still. 

Regarding Comcast, I'd LOVE to find a decent alternative but haven't been able to as of yet.  The base plan they're offering right now is $40/month plus taxes, with a 12-month contract.  With no contract, I believe it's $50/month. 

@Curious Cricket, how much are you paying with Century Link, and do you have to bundle other services with internet or is it stand-alone? 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
@ceeteebee, congrats -- fingers crossed for you! Where would you be moving? I like the idea of a potluck moving party! :) [And as for the regular potluck, I am probably going to be out of town March 26 but will let you know if that changes and would love to join!]

@brandonbrews -- I have Wave Broadband. They are OK. A gazillion times better than Comcast on the customer service front, but still an internet company. :) We pay $71.35 for the 100+Power User+superfast package or whatever they call it (internet only, no cable or phone or anything). It is pretty good. We had a smaller/slower package for $40 for a while but our 5+ household couldn't really handle it and we often went over the data streaming allowance. I call every year and negotiate them down as best I can, it takes some perseverence but it works. Currently I think we have a $30 discount over what the rate would otherwise be.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Thank you Curious Cricket, brandonbrews, and cheddarpie!

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes everyone, but apparently this one wasn't meant to be - unless you had cash in hand for $75k+ over the list price, that is (we didn't). This market is insane!

As for meeting on the 12th, my wife and I will be free, and would definitely be interested in learning some voodoo PowerPoint magic! Hopefully some good conversation afterwards again, as well, too. Though it was rather loud last time... anybody know of a good venue near that spot that's a bit quieter than the food court was?

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: February 20, 2016, 03:24:08 AM »
I just switched to centurylink (fiber) as well.  It's been much more reliable than comcast so far.

I'm paying $30/mo for 40/5 mbit.  It's normally $40/mo due to having to lease a modem, but the modem isn't actually necessary if you set things up properly on a your own modem (just need to configure a vlan and pppoe login).  There was also an installation fee of $80.

Curious Cricket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #363 on: February 20, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »
@brandonbrews. Currently paying $41 for internet only. No bundle. Based on what my friends have said, I can probably get it $10 lowered if I called and negotiated.

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2016, 05:10:48 AM »
I'm interested in the potluck in March! Let me know what's up.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
I may be able to attend the March 26th potluck, please keep me posted.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:44 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Something came up and we need to be out of town on the 26th but we can do it the 19th instead.  It'll be at our house in Greenlake, most likely be a starting around noon.  If you haven't told me you're interested, or can't make it due to the date change, just let me know.  Sorry for the change in plans, but since it's still a month off hopefully everyone can still make it!

Brandon 

Erich10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Diligence, patience, persistence, playfullness
    • In Search of Cashflow
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a thread for Tacoma-area mustachians? Or would this be the place to post to arrange a meetup event in the general Tacoma area?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:22:18 PM by Erich10 »

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
My husband and I are near Tacoma, and would be interested in a local meetup. We hate driving to Seattle, so haven't tried to make any of those meetups. :(

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »
Hello again everyone!

I'd love to make it to the next meet-up. I attended one several months ago and it was great. Would love to make it happen again!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more info :)

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
Hi folks,

I feel lucky to have checked this thread just as some meetups were already about to happen. I live in the Central District and have been in Seattle for a few years; I came across MMM several months ago, and it really helped me get my personal goals straightened out. Looking forward to meeting more folks who I'm certain to have a few things in common with :)

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
I would love to attend any meetup.  I can use a good dose of mustachianism! 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
CD folks, how about a meetup one night for a beer at the Chuck's Hop Shop? Not exactly Mustachian, but beer.

Maybe next Monday or Tuesday (March 14 or 15)?

zoltani

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
I'm also in Tacoma, looks like there are quite a few of us.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
CD folks, how about a meetup one night for a beer at the Chuck's Hop Shop? Not exactly Mustachian, but beer.

Maybe next Monday or Tuesday (March 14 or 15)?

Mmmm... beer. I assume you mean the one across from Central Cinema as opposed to the Chucks up on 85th. I'm in for a pint after work provided I don't get sucked out of town for work.

I wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts and experiences with the Seattle real estate market.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2016, 04:34:36 PM »
Mmmm... beer. I assume you mean the one across from Central Cinema as opposed to the Chucks up on 85th. I'm in for a pint after work provided I don't get sucked out of town for work.

I wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts and experiences with the Seattle real estate market.

Yes, I meant Chuck's CD at Union & 20th, and great!

Seattle real estate! We'll be there all night. :) I bought in 2012 and happy to share my experience ... I thought it was bananas then, but I think it's five times more bananas now.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #376 on: March 08, 2016, 11:55:02 PM »
Hm, that's walking distance. If I'm not unexpectedly kept at work, I might be there.

Fernweh8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #377 on: March 09, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
Chuck's sounds good to me (as does beer), I may join if you have room for one more mustache.

I would also be very interested to hear about the 5x bananas Seattle market.  I've been tossing around a few ideas to get around the equally bananas rent prices, and could use some Mustachian advice.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
Bummer! A happy hour meetup would be awesome, but I have conflicts on both of those days next week.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »
Lhamo, I'm intending to go. Want to carpool? You could park here, where parking is easy, then I could drive down.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
Great! Glad there is some interest!

Here's a plan:  Monday, March 14, 7:00pm, Chuck's Hop Shop at 20th & Union, http://www.chuckscd.com/

I'll try to bring something with a mustache on it to identify us. Probably a piece of paper with a drawing of a mustache. :{

Parking is not too bad in the CD -- at worst you might be a block or two away, but it shouldn't be too bad. The #2 bus also runs up Union from downtown, and the 48 along 23rd.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:16:06 PM by cheddarpie »

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2016, 10:08:33 AM »
I'll try to make it too, I'm a big fan of Chuck's.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Here's a plan:  Monday, March 14, 7:00pm, Chuck's Hop Shop at 20th & Union, http://www.chuckscd.com/

+1 for the CD meetup, thanks for organizing!

I'll try to be there, but there's a chance I'll get stuck at work.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
@ cheddarpie, I don't think we'll be able to make this one, but I like the idea of more frequent and smaller opportunities to hang out with fellow Mustachians. 

@ Tacoma Mustachians, hi!  I'm from Tacoma as well and have other friends who would likely be interested.  Maybe someone should split off and start a Tacoma meetup thread. 

@ Anyone interested in the potluck on the 19th, we're looking forward to having everyone over!  It sounds like there will be 20 or so people.  Let's plan for noon to 3pm or so.  Roughly, we're close to 56th and Latona.  Just PM me if you haven't already for the address.  Here are the MMM forum names I compiled; just let me know if I've missed anyone who would like to come.  The more the merrier, up to about 30 people since we don't have a huge house. 

Nikita
meatgrinder
FiveSigmas
Exhale
slugsworth
ceeteebee
lhamo
hamsterman
walkman3000
seattlecyclone
bigalsmith101
asch
redbirdfan

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
Thanks for hosting! I'll be out of town on the 19th -- sorry to miss this one but also excited for smaller and more frequent get-togethers!  :)

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some of you tonight at Chuck's!

I've got yeses/maybes from:
cheddarpie
Nikita
SeattleStache
lhamo
Fernweh8
Cressida
Glenstache

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #386 on: March 14, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
I'm planning on going tonight and should be there by around 7:15. See you soon!

Fernweh8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: March 15, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
Hey all, it was really excellent meeting the gang last night.  I always suspected that Mustachians were the greatest people alive, but now I have proof!  I'm looking forward to seeing more of you in the future.

As a follow up to a discussion last night, the question was raised - "How do I know when I have enough to retire?"  While I can't answer this for you since everyone has different spending, safety goals, lifestyles etc, I can show you my personal method.  Enter Microsoft Excel...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4184DDAE35E6CA49!9250&authkey=!AEZhUOEjcTQneFQ&ithint=file%2cxlsx

This is a link to the spreadsheet that I created to keep an eye on my finances.  Feel free to play around with it, you can adjust your own income, spending, safety margins, tax rates, etc (I tried to make it pretty comprehensive), and it's a fun way to play around with the variables and determine exactly how well you're actually doing.

Please download a copy before messing with the spreadsheet, so that the original remains intact.

So as to the question "When do I have enough?"  The answer is "when the little cells turn green."

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: March 15, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »
It was great to meet you all last night! Would love to make the Chuck's meeting a regular thing.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #389 on: March 15, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »
It was fun! Thanks cheddarpie for organizing.

ETA: Fernweh8, that's a cool spreadsheet. I will definitely take a look at it.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
For anyone who's coming over to the potluck tomorrow, we're still looking forward to it.  We've had a few folks who can't make it so we'll probably be closer to 15 people so you know for food planning purposes.  If anyone else wants to join us, just PM me.  See you all tomorrow around noon.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »
Looking forward to it! See y'all tomorrow.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #392 on: March 19, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »
Also Tacoma!  Would love to do something down south:)

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2016, 12:30:08 AM »
@brandonbrews, thanks for hosting today, we had a great time! It was such a pleasure to meet everyone, and we were really bummed that we couldn't stay longer. Looking forward to the next one!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
@brandonbrews, thanks for hosting today, we had a great time! It was such a pleasure to meet everyone, and we were really bummed that we couldn't stay longer. Looking forward to the next one!

+1 -- you guys, the company, the dog, the food, the cider, and all the great conversation were all awesome! 

Good luck to everybody with upcoming property adventures.  Hope to be embarking on one of my own soon....

+1 It was so nice to meet (and in some cases re-meet) you all. Thanks Mr & Mrs BB for sharing your beautiful home with us!

zoltani

« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
I started a thread for those of us in Tacoma and points south:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/tacoma-south-sound-meetup/

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:50 PM »
It was really great spending time with everyone.  You all expanded our worlds in some new and definitely unexpected ways.  We're looking forward to meeting all the imaginary kids, camping at the family dairy farm, and eating a whole lot of rabbits. 

@janice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:59 AM »
Damn. Just missed the 20th as I arrived Stateside the same day.

Anyone interested in an informal park meet up, either this weekend or next?

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
Seconding (or fifth-ing) the +1 to the potluck. It was such a joy to meet some mustachians, I am looking forward to many more! And yes, I'll reach out to my folks about a farm visit :)

@janice As we get into summer I'd love to do some park picnics, I can't this weekend, but maybe next weekend (weather pending). Did you have a particular location in mind?

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
@janice, this weekend isn't good for us but an outdoor meet up sounds good. 

@IllusionNW, hey neighbor!  We're always happy to meet more people in the neighborhood.  Good luck with the baby, and if nothing works out soon, maybe we can have you guys over sometime.