Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401165 times)

dilinger

• Bristles
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:11 AM »
I was considering going to the pre-game #1 meet-up. It would feel kind of silly not to, since I'll be dropping my kid off at preschool a couple hundred feet away from 72nd St Cafe at 10.  I'll probably show up around 10:15.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »
Is the meetup still on for ~6 tonight? I an 95% sure I can make it. Won't know about my husband until pretty much the last minute.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
Is the meetup still on for ~6 tonight? I an 95% sure I can make it. Won't know about my husband until pretty much the last minute.

I'm planning on 6 pm tonight.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
I was hoping to make it out tonight but that's looking unlikely.  Have fun and see you all on the 6th. 

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
I'm probably not going to make it to the evening meetup -- I dislike driving at night under the best conditions,  and this rain is nasty!  I know, I'm a wimp.  But I get really bad refraction with my contact lenses and it is really scary to drive when it is dark and raining.

We could probably pick you up on the way... if I recall correctly you live between us and the U-District? PM me if you are interested :)

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #305 on: January 21, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
Don't think I'll make it tonight, need to go to someone's going away party.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #306 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
Okay, I'm quite thoroughly soaked but I'll be ready and happy to meet with some more Seattle MMM'ers tonight. 6pm works for me and DW...what's the final verdict on a meeting place?

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
DH and I plan to be there tonight barring catastrophic flooding or sharknados.

(No worries lhamo - looking forward to meeting you on the 6th as well!)

Do we have a final head count? Whoever gets there first would need to get a table for enough people. It looks like 6 RSVPs so far including spouses.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
Jon Snow, I'll be driving through the U-District on my way to the meetup, and probably within a block of your hotel. I can easily pick you and your DW on the way through.

If that helps, PM me with your hotel and we can figure out where to meet at 545-550ish. I'm guessing it's the Deca from your description above.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Jon Snow, I'll be driving through the U-District on my way to the meetup, and probably within a block of your hotel. I can easily pick you and your DW on the way through.

If that helps, PM me with your hotel and we can figure out where to meet at 545-550ish. I'm guessing it's the Deca from your description above.

Mioposto it is. :)

Thanks for the ride offer GS...we are fine walking. The rain even appears to be letting up!

We plan to be there around 6-ish. Looking forward to imeeting everyone. The menu looks good too. :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
hello everyone - still stuck at work. so sorry to miss this meetup dinner!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
It was so fun meeting you guys - Glenstache and Jon_Snow (and Lady Snow). Always great to put a face with a username.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2016, 11:55:23 PM »
Sorry to have missed it! As I feared I was stuck at the office during both meetups today. Oh well, I had a nice late ride home in the rain on the Burke Gilman, the exercise always cheers me up.

I know there may be other Seattle bikers on this post, so just in case -- there was a tree down on the Burke Gilman at about 125th, be careful if you're riding out there in the next 24 hours or so! I'm lucky I have a powerful headlight and was able to see it and brake in time.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »
It was so fun meeting you guys - Glenstache and Jon_Snow (and Lady Snow). Always great to put a face with a username.

+1. Very fun to meet everyone! Perhaps next time on kayaks or a trail somewhere!

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
So nice to slog through the rain around Green Lake with kindred spirits yesterday! Very fun.

Enjoy the rest of your Seattle sojourn, JS, and I look forward to the Seattle area meet-up on Feb 6!

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
Yes, thanks for yesterday's Green Lake walk and banana bread!

Alas, when I came out after picking my kid up from preschool, a squirrel had stolen the banana bread from my bike and was chowing down on it. Next time I need to remember to put food in my pannier. :)

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
I'm new to the forum and was excited to find out there will be a meetup on Feb 6-th. Looking forward to it.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I'm new to the forum and was excited to find out there will be a meetup on Feb 6-th. Looking forward to it.

Yeah me too.  This is my first MMM meetup after discovering the site a few months ago.  Anything in particular we should bring or is it just a social meeting of the minds and sharing of ideas? 

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
I was expecting to go to the Feb 6th meetup, but I can't make it. Hopefully someone else can lead a bike ride if there's interest!

Seattle Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
I might be bicycling up to the meeting from West Seattle if anyone is interested in going with! I just moved and need to find my bicycle pump in the basement, then I'm good to go! Really looking forward to meeting some Mustachians in person!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
I'm planning on attending on Saturday too.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
Hi there,

I'm looking forward to attending on Saturday. Driving and biking are out for me as a result of recent surgery. If any drivers may be in the vicinity of or passing by the Green Lake area, and could give a lift, please PM me.

Cheers,

A

Ragriz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
My wife and I will be there on Saturday with our two kids. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
I'll be there. Yup, yup, yup.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to the meetup!

The last time I was there (about 6 months ago), the seating area has lots of tables all throughout a big area that's not directly affiliated with any particular eatery. Also, folks can choose from an array of variously-priced food and drinks, including from the bakery downstairs.

If I had a car, I'd give you a ride Amesenator. I hope you can make it.

Thanks for bringing the post-it notes lhamo!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:57:35 PM by Exhale »

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »
Thanks, Exhale - one of the kind MMMers who's attending lives in my area and has offered to drive me up!

Looking forward to seeing everyone,

A

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
We'll be there! Looking forward to it!

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
DH and I are also planning to attend.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
 We'll be there as well, looking forward to meeting everybody!

I feel a bit unmustachian and sissypants-ish by not riding the bikes now, after seeing caitlinroyale's comment about biking from WS...

I'll hopefully redeem myself with a test ride from Bellevue to the CD to map out my commute for next week, though. I've committed to riding to work at least 50% for this year, and just need to score a set of panniers to make sure my laptop makes the ride safe and dry. I'm hoping to find something at a decent price at the bike swap next weekend, or on craigslist, if not.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Lhamo, thanks for putting together the meetup! It was a pleasure to meet you and so many fellow mustachians in person.

I'd be interested in the seminar/discussion idea (maybe once a month or so?)

BTW: As I was leaving, I noticed that there was a lady's cap (with an embroidered flower on the side) left on the table -- I dropped it off at the information desk. If you're missing yours, they are holding it safely for you.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »
BTW: As I was leaving, I noticed that there was a lady's cap (with an embroidered flower on the side) left on the table -- I dropped it off at the information desk. If you're missing yours, they are holding it safely for you.

Thank you so much! (That was my hat which I missed when I was about half way home.)

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for an awesome time, and great conversation! As to structured discussions around a common topic, or repeats of the more casual get together, I can safely say HECK YEAH! We would love to get together again sometime.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »
Yes, it was great, thanks for organizing it and to everyone for coming!
Definitely +1 for a regular meetup. And once the weather is better (or at least more predictable) we could do a walk, a hike, a picnic etc.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2016, 12:36:39 AM »
Agreed - it was great meeting so many interesting people.  I'll talk to my wife and find a date to host a potluck sometime in March or April. 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »
Yes, agreed! Great to meet so many of you and I'd love to do it again sometime (and meet the rest of you that I missed!).

I know I am not always great about checking the forums regularly, so maybe we can also get a regular ole email list going at some point, or use the Washington Mustachians Facebook group too ... ?

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #335 on: February 07, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
Hey folks, I was going to start a mailing list, but got realistic about that being more than I can take on right now. I like the idea of a monthly gathering, including a possible focus on a particular topic.

A good (and free) meeting space might be the meeting room of the NE Branch Library. More info here: http://www.spl.org/locations/northeast-branch/net-meeting-and-study-rooms

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
Just a warning: the NE branch meeting room fills up quickly on weekends, so book in advance.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »
... maybe we can also get a regular ole email list going at some point, or use the Washington Mustachians Facebook group too ... ?

What about meetup.com? Or is it too public? I think there's a way to create semi-private groups. If more than a few people think it's a good idea, I can start a group there and appoint a few 'admins' so that in case some of us can't manage it at some point, other will be able to pick it up.

WDYT?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: February 08, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
A meetup.com group sounds perfect. I'd be happy to help share the admin duties, if you need volunteers.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
I'm not a big fan of meetup.com for organizing events. The meetup.com option costs the organizer money every month, which is inherently unmustachian when there are free ways to do it. Having been an admin for a group in both meetup and on facebook, the fb option is much easier and free. The only downside is that fb is less anonymous than meetup. For those wishing to remain some separation/anonymity, it is possible to turn on email notifications for this thread to know when things are happening.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2016, 12:18:45 AM »
Huh, good point. I didn't realize that meetup.com was strictly a pay service; for some reason I thought they had a freemium model.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: February 09, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
It was good to meet people.  I give a couple of presentations - the first "Sex & the Southern Fried Vegan" on "how we made PowerPoint", and how you can use it to create great presentations in minutes (i.e. 'be the office hero when you're asked to present at the meeting happening in 10 minutes').

The other is an introduction to Mustachianism based on using the ideas in 'SATSFV', and applying them to Pete's "From Zero To Hero" post.
I can cut both to 10 minutes each if there's interest...   

Bruce

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: February 10, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
Hey all! 

So i'm not from Seattle but I had a question since you guys are one of the most active threads of the meetups section of the forum and appeared to just have a wonderful get together recently (Congrats!)

Tonight i'm hosting a meetup in my home with 6-10 mustachians coming, all of whom i've never met. It occurred to my wife and I yesterday - "oh no, what if it's horribly awkward and the spread of people is 60 years in age and the only thing we have in common is reading a website!?!" With that fear in mine, i turn to you, veteran meet uppers to quell my fears and possibly offer suggestions of what to do tonight. We have snacks and drinks that we will provide. Should we just plan on mingling with no agenda? Should we have games ready? Should i have some questions prepped that i could ask of the group if it turns quiet and awkward?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread, i can delete this post in a couple days if you'd like!

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
Hey all! 

So i'm not from Seattle but I had a question since you guys are one of the most active threads of the meetups section of the forum and appeared to just have a wonderful get together recently (Congrats!)

Tonight i'm hosting a meetup in my home with 6-10 mustachians coming, all of whom i've never met. It occurred to my wife and I yesterday - "oh no, what if it's horribly awkward and the spread of people is 60 years in age and the only thing we have in common is reading a website!?!" With that fear in mine, i turn to you, veteran meet uppers to quell my fears and possibly offer suggestions of what to do tonight. We have snacks and drinks that we will provide. Should we just plan on mingling with no agenda? Should we have games ready? Should i have some questions prepped that i could ask of the group if it turns quiet and awkward?

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread, i can delete this post in a couple days if you'd like!

Spread of 60 years isn't a huge deal, you have something in common to talk about. I play bridge as a hobby and thus regularly deal with people from 20 to 80. The age difference only matters if you are looking for something in common to discuss. As MMM readers, that's already somewhat assured.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #344 on: February 10, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
Hey all! 

Definitely report back and let us know how it went. 

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »

You can talk about money.  Everyone loves talking about money.  There are multiple (popular!) television channels devoted to discussing money.  And since the website in common has a lot of focus on money - you have a baseline to talk about. ;)

Hopefully you'll find more to talk about than just money, though.  People are so much more interesting than just money..

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
@Mother Fussbudget, thanks for offering to present- sound like topics that could launch interesting discussions.

I will be following on FB (and this forum) for announcements about future get-togethers..

@rahby1us, hope your will have been a big success - let us know how it goes!

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:30 AM »
Hey to everyone who read/helped me with suggestions for the other day, the meetup went great! We had 10 people of all ages, shapes and sizes and it was really fun. I had games at the ready but we never needed them. The conversation was easy (how did you come across mustache, where you live in the city, making fun of antimustachians, RV travel and composting toilets!!) Thanks so much!!

billygoatc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2016, 12:35:58 AM »
ARGHH!! So sad I missed this!!

I'm new here and would definitely be down for any additional meetups that get set up. I live in the CD and can get anywhere. Looking forward to meeting my fellow mustachians. Many of my friends here in town are frustratingly anti-mustache!! It's killing me!!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully we can keep the good conversations going from the last meetup.  My wife Deb and I wanted to get Saturday March 26th on the calendar to host a potluck at our place in the Greenlake/Tangletown area. 

Feel free to bring any food or beverages you'd like to share.  Bonus points for MMM-inspired recipes that are cheap, healthy, and delicious.  I'll have a couple beers and a cider on tap.  We do have a friendly dog, for anyone who needs to know for allergies.  PM me if you're interested and I'll send out our address and the particulars. 

Also, 3/26 is still a ways off so don't let this preclude other gatherings before then! 

Brandon

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!