Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401705 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
I'd love to do a meetup.

Willing to do:
1) Indoor hangout (game night?) for <=8 people, all at least two weeks past final vaccination, or
2) An outdoor, social distanced, masked meetup for anyone.

Anyone else wanting to do either of those?

Totally willing to do either even if it's just like 3 of us (even better?) expressing interest, so let me know!  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:07:13 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:15 PM »
Always interested. I will be good for indoor two weeks from Thursday.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #1002 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:50 PM »
I'm local now. (Silverdale) May 15 will be my two-weeks-past-2nd-vacc day, but I'm currently planning to keep playing the distance & mask game and only slowly ease my restrictions.

I'd be up for an outdoor masked meet but not yet (or in May) ready for indoors or unmasked.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #1003 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »
I'm interested. In exactly 1 week, I'll be 2 weeks post jab #2.

squashroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1004 on: May 04, 2021, 09:53:03 AM »
I'd love to meet some people in this group.

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1005 on: May 05, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
Any way we can meet up safely, I am down. How have the virtual meetings been? @firemondays

Sorry for the long delay!  I just noticed your question.

They've been pretty good when we've had them but they've been a bit sporadic.

There's a new Mustachian effort which is starting to take form!  Check out this Meetup - open to all.  I've attended a couple meetings and they've been good.  It's still pretty new.  It's mostly younger folks with a lot of great insight and thoughts.  People are generally either FI/nearly FI/have a clear line of sight to FI but haven't yet FIRED:

https://www.meetup.com/allfireconnect/

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1006 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:07 PM »
I'd be happy to meet up in person, too. 

I get my second Fauci ouchie on 5/14, so should be good to meet up with other vaccinated folks on 5/28+!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »
Anyone fully vaccinated and up for a game night in Lynnwood with a small group of us next Friday the 14th?

PM me!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #1008 on: May 06, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
I'm another week out but keep throwing out the invites.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1009 on: May 08, 2021, 09:18:48 AM »
What type of board games do you guys play?  We used to get together on the Microsoft campus and play stuff like Imperial, Medina, Powergrid, Puerto Rico, etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1010 on: May 08, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
What type of board games do you guys play?  We used to get together on the Microsoft campus and play stuff like Imperial, Medina, Powergrid, Puerto Rico, etc.

Depends on the group how casual or hardcore, but we definitely play Eurogames like those listed. :)

Social deduction games are also fun, as are more casual ones. The Mustachian meetups are mostly an excuse to hang out and chat, but there's also more hardcore gaming ones if you're more about that.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: May 08, 2021, 03:30:22 PM »
Depends on the group how casual or hardcore, but we definitely play Eurogames like those listed. :)

Social deduction games are also fun, as are more casual ones. The Mustachian meetups are mostly an excuse to hang out and chat, but there's also more hardcore gaming ones if you're more about that.

Sounds great!  Unfortunately I am in eastern Washington now so it is like  7 hours to Lynnwood (but they do have a Chic-Fil-A so there is that).  Ah well, wish you guys fun times!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1012 on: May 09, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »
I’m looking forward to seeing y’all when I can. Still have another four weeks to go (and it can’t pass fast enough)!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: May 11, 2021, 08:50:51 AM »
Joining the thread, as I see you've had some meetups in Bellingham, which happens to be where we're moving (to coastFIRE) in a couple of months.  Might be up for the occasional Seattle-area meetup if the situation is right, since we'll be down that way from time to time.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1014 on: May 11, 2021, 10:29:00 AM »
Joining the thread, as I see you've had some meetups in Bellingham, which happens to be where we're moving (to coastFIRE) in a couple of months.  Might be up for the occasional Seattle-area meetup if the situation is right, since we'll be down that way from time to time.
I'll be spending more time in B'ham in the coming years as I shift to coast mode as well. Do you have housing lined up there yet? The market is stupid insane there right now.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:09 AM »
I'll be spending more time in B'ham in the coming years as I shift to coast mode as well. Do you have housing lined up there yet? The market is stupid insane there right now.

Don't I know it.  Yes, we purchased a house up there, remotely, in this crazy market.  I saw that the current median time on market for a listing in Bellingham is 5 days.  Feeling very lucky to have scored our new place.  Not feeling quite as lucky to be paying for two houses right now, but it beat the alternative of scrambling for housing around our move date and likely forcing the kids to move a second time.  The earlier purchase is allowing us to take care of some much-needed work around the place before we move in, so it's not all bad.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1016 on: August 04, 2021, 10:48:05 PM »
Friday August 20 anyone?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: August 05, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »
Friday August 20 anyone?
I'd be in. This is right in the middle of our month long stay in Olympia. We would love to meet some Seattle area mustachians!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: August 05, 2021, 02:25:50 PM »
Friday the 20th might work for me.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 05, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
Posting to follow.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1020 on: August 06, 2021, 12:20:35 AM »
Friday August 20 anyone?
Interested.  Whereabouts?

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1021 on: August 06, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »
Friday August 20 anyone?

Yes! I'd be up for an outdoor meetup.

theMayor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1022 on: August 06, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
I am interested!

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 06, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
I'm also interested!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1024 on: August 07, 2021, 09:19:16 AM »
Cool, sounds like quite a few of us! :)

I'll throw out an idea, but open to other proposals.

Green Lake at 6pm?

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1025 on: August 12, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »
Cool, I'm in!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: August 12, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
Green Lake at 6pm sounds good to me! We're only 8 days it, if anyone has alternative suggestions.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 15, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »
I'll throw out an idea, but open to other proposals.

Green Lake at 6pm?

I’d have a slight preference for gasworks, but either spot is okay by me.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »
I'm likely out for this one, but if my travel plans get cancelled due to smoke I'll try to stop by.

brianquist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1029 on: August 17, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »
Hi Everyone – my name is Brian Quist, I’m a videographer doing a profile about Joe for the website MarketWatch. 

The video is part of a series called FIRE STARTERS that I have been working on for the last few years.  You can see some of these videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_a94DOaytb06h2C_w0vAwsptyqS3z2Xe

On this Friday, I’ll be filming Joe at this meetup at Greenlake and would love to film with those of you who are joining.  If anyone does not want to be filmed, I will respect that and will avoid filming them.  If you have more questions feel free to ask here or we can discuss in person on Friday. 

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 17, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »
Not being from the area, is there anything I need to know about Green Lake? Is there just one parking lot and the meet up spot will be obvious?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1031 on: August 17, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »
Not being from the area, is there anything I need to know about Green Lake? Is there just one parking lot and the meet up spot will be obvious?

Good question!

There is two parking lots.

Park in the one on the east side, and we'll hang out in the grass nearby?

Here's an address you can Google Maps: Green Lake Play Field, 7201 East Green Lake Dr N, Seattle, WA 98115

Actually, thinking about it, Friday at that time parking will probably be difficult to get. Likely will have to just find street parking nearby and meet near there. (Except for the hardcores like @FiveSigmas who just bike everywhere and put the rest of us to shame!)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
We're excited to see folks this evening!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1033 on: August 20, 2021, 07:01:19 PM »
I'm in the field whose address is above, between the blue and white volleyball nets.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: August 20, 2021, 07:24:20 PM »
Walking around the park trying to find the volleyball nets now.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1035 on: August 20, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
Had a last minute family thing that needed to take priority -- sorry to miss you guys, and hope to make the next one!

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1036 on: August 21, 2021, 10:57:54 AM »
It was great to meet you guys! Let’s go on a hike sometime!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1037 on: August 21, 2021, 01:01:16 PM »
It was great to meet you guys! Let’s go on a hike sometime!

Yeah, it was nice hanging out with y'all. I'm glad we finally got to meet Mr. & Mrs. Green!

Sorry we missed you, @lhamo and @seattlecyclone. Hopefully we'll catch you next time.

I'm definitely up for hikes/puzzle-hunts/whatever. I'll PM you details.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1038 on: August 21, 2021, 02:00:01 PM »
Agreed, thanks everyone!

Also up for hikes/puzzles/games. Will be in touch. :)

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: September 01, 2021, 12:18:35 AM »
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread now that I'm yet another Seattleite on the forum. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1040 on: September 08, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
Just moved up to Seattle and so joining this thread! Would love to hang out with some area Mustachians -- I was able to do that in my last city and it was always fun.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1041 on: September 09, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread now that I'm yet another Seattleite on the forum. 

Just moved up to Seattle

Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you both. :)

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: December 29, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
I'm planning a move to Seattle soon, so I'm posting to join this thread!

samanil

• Stubble
« Reply #1043 on: December 29, 2021, 04:55:34 PM »
Native Seattlite here, sorry I missed yall last August, would like to come to the next one :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1044 on: June 08, 2022, 08:12:13 AM »
Anyone interested in a game night at my house? (Lynnwood)

June 22 or 23 maybe?

Non game meetup is fine too. We could BBQ or do a park meetup soon.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1045 on: June 08, 2022, 04:44:46 PM »
Sounds like fun! Either of those dates currently work for me.

starbuck19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1046 on: August 01, 2022, 06:17:45 PM »
I'd love to join the next one, I'm also in the Puget Sound area. I've never been to a Mustachian meetup and would like to change that :).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1047 on: August 16, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »
Clearly I missed any meetup that happened earlier this summer. We have been traveling. But if something happens in the future I’d be interested in joining again.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: August 28, 2023, 09:49:12 PM »
Anybody up for a Seattle area MMM meetup in the next couple of weeks?  Preferably before Sept 10th or so, but could potentially do later in the month if that is all that works for others.

I'm in the north end.  In the past we have met at Gasworks (parking can be a challenge), the Commons at Lake Forest Park Town Center (free public space, just need to snag tables), and at Chuck's Hop Shop in Greenwood.  Other places in my general area that might work include Hellbent (never been there), Elliot Bay Brewing, and Growler Guys.  Further south there is a nice area with picnic tables next to my p patch at Magnuson, or the ampitheatre there, too.

Open to other suggestions depending on where people might be coming from.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #1049 on: August 29, 2023, 08:13:57 AM »
I'm game. Coming from the South end, but happy to meet wherever, especially on a weeknight.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!