Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401710 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #900 on: January 04, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
Sounds fun! My only busy weekend is the 19th.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #901 on: January 04, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
May I invite myself? Out of town the 18th-20th, but otherwise around.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #902 on: January 04, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »

Of course! I was only tagging a few people I knew were likely to respond, but anyone is welcome to join.

Tentatively, then, how does the weekend of the 26th sound?

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #903 on: January 04, 2019, 04:42:10 PM »

Of course! I was only tagging a few people I knew were likely to respond, but anyone is welcome to join.

I'm out of town the weekend of the 26th, though that may be what works best for everyone else.

theMayor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #904 on: January 04, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »
I am down for meeting up! I was away for the last couple meetups.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #905 on: January 05, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
Happy new year everyone. I’m up for a meetup, and my schedule should be pretty flexible this month.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #906 on: January 06, 2019, 02:04:50 AM »

I'm out of town the weekend of the 26th, though that may be what works best for everyone else.

I haven't heard any objections yet to the 12th. Would that work with you?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #907 on: January 06, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »
I have nothing else planned on the 12th. My Saturday afternoons are pretty much spoken for after that through the end of tax season (new volunteer gig). Sundays are often okay. Don't plan around me though. We'll be getting back from a long trip on Tuesday and I might just want to spend the time at home.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #908 on: January 06, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »

I haven't heard any objections yet to the 12th. Would that work with you?

Both 12th and 13th work for me.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #909 on: January 07, 2019, 01:35:56 AM »
How about the 12th at 1pm, Third place books in Lake Forest Park then?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #910 on: January 09, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »

We'll see you then!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

theMayor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #911 on: January 10, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »
Looking forward to meeting up.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #912 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »

Doh! I have dog training class in the afternoon. I can come earlier and hang around for an hour + (noon anyone?) or come when we're done (not likely until 4 pm).

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #913 on: January 11, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Any one want to move the meetup to downtown? I hear the traffic is supposed to be pretty good. ;-)

TPB tomorrow @1 works for me (unfortunately I don’t think I can’t make it any earlier).

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #914 on: January 11, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
Aiming to attend with @seattlecyclone two mini mustaches, one of which still naps that time some days, so fingers crossed that chaos will not ensue.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »
Any one want to move the meetup to downtown? I hear the traffic is supposed to be pretty good. ;-)

TPB tomorrow @1 works for me (unfortunately I don’t think I can’t make it any earlier).
If you (or anyone else nearby) show up at my place in LQA I will be happy to give you a ride.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #916 on: January 12, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »
I'll see everyone then!

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #917 on: January 12, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »
Was nice to talk with everyone, and enjoyed the location! Happy to plan a future potluck at our place after the dust settles on our au pair transition, and to provide @theMayor, I believe it is, with some kid-friendly brewery/beer locations if desired!

Goosey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #918 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
Howdy everyone! I live in North Seattle and would love to connect with some local folks. I hope to catch the next one!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: January 13, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »
Was sorry to miss this one, but would love a potluck or other meet-up in the future. :)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: January 16, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
I keep on missing these, but I'll be back in Seattle soon!

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #921 on: February 09, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
ChooseFI Seattle will be having a meetup on March 23rd at the Bellevue library from 12:30-2:30.  Main topic is Travel Hacking, but we usually have lots of time for general discussions too.

I'm also looking at doing a social get together in the next few weeks (provided the snow stops appearing!).  I'll post details on that one once I have them firmed up.  I'm thinking about a Saturday afternoon at a brewhouse or something similar.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #922 on: March 10, 2019, 08:40:50 PM »
Greetings, Seattle MMM friends!

I just discovered that on April 13th there is a "Great Puzzle Hunt" up in Bellingham at WWU. It's a giant, all-day scavenger hunt with puzzles/riddles; apparently they're doing it for the fourth year in a row.

https://www.greatpuzzlehunt.com/

I heard about it from someone who's gone the past two years and said it was very good, and highly recommended it if you like those sort of things (escape rooms and such).

It is $10 per person, up to 6-person teams. I was thinking it might be fun to do with a group of MMM friends. Anyone interested in signing up for a team with me? We could very easily car pool up and back. Ali and I need four more people who love puzzles and are willing to have fun and laugh, even if we don't do well. PM me if that sounds fun to you.  :D

Canadians or Bellingham Mustachians wanting to meet us there are more than welcome too!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:43:56 PM by arebelspy »

AnnFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #923 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:06 PM »
Just moved back to Seattle from Houston! Excited for the next meet up! Houston had a Facebook group for the area. Is there something similar for Seattle?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #924 on: March 31, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
Greetings, Seattle MMM friends!

I just discovered that on April 13th there is a "Great Puzzle Hunt" up in Bellingham at WWU. It's a giant, all-day scavenger hunt with puzzles/riddles; apparently they're doing it for the fourth year in a row.

https://www.greatpuzzlehunt.com/

I heard about it from someone who's gone the past two years and said it was very good, and highly recommended it if you like those sort of things (escape rooms and such).

It is $10 per person, up to 6-person teams. I was thinking it might be fun to do with a group of MMM friends. Anyone interested in signing up for a team with me? We could very easily car pool up and back. Ali and I need four more people who love puzzles and are willing to have fun and laugh, even if we don't do well. PM me if that sounds fun to you.  :D

Canadians or Bellingham Mustachians wanting to meet us there are more than welcome too!

Bump! This is in about two weeks. Anyone want to solve puzzles with us? :)

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #925 on: March 31, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »
@arebelspy normally would love to but @seattlecyclone has tax volunteering and that's quite a critical date for it. ;-) I did mean to reply here though, that we are forming a team with some friends of ours for Seattle Detective Day April 20: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/clueduppmurdermysteries/212314/

Not quite the same in that I think it's mostly a whodunnit mystery, but we'll see? Never even done an escape room myself before though I've participated in a few puzzle competitions.

If any others decide to register for Seattle Detective Day, would be fun to do drinks or a picnic or something after. I think we're planning to tackle it toward the beginning since we'll have baby (and hopefully not toddler because we'll schedule a drop off playdate or our au pair). Feel free to pm me to coordinate or suggest details here if you sign up!

Edited to add: I almost forgot, there's a discount code, I think it was FB20, for 20% off. :-D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #926 on: April 01, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
Seattle Detective Day sounds fun!

Unfortunately we're out of town for Easter, or we'd likely do that, too. :)

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #927 on: April 03, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »
@AnnFIRE I found the Washington state group on FB today: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051424764875648/ I'm not sure anything more local exists though I thought someone from Vancouver mentioned a PNW one that I can't find.

As for our next meetup, are folks interested in a potluck at our place near Green lake (or we can switch to picnic at a park if we see nice weather) on Sunday April 28? I'm flexible on timing.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #928 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
A pot luck near Green Lake sounds great! My wife and I would be interested in coming.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #929 on: April 04, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »
Our April is crazy (I'm out of town the 28th, for example), but you guys have fun! If it gets pushed back to May, we should be able to make it.

Happy birthday eco mom!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #930 on: April 04, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
It's been a while but I hope everyone is doing well. 

@eco mom we're in the Greenlake area as well and are interested in joining, pending the arrival of our baby due in early May.

@arebelspy we're out of town for the puzzle hunt weekend but have a great time. 

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #931 on: April 04, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
@arebelspy - I'd love to do the puzzle thing, but I'm not free that day. :( Bummer. I'm definitely on board for joining up to do something like this another time.

@eco mom - The 28th works for me for pot luck near Green lake!

I don't know how the time flies and it's already April...

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #932 on: April 05, 2019, 12:18:19 AM »
Great, sounds like there is enough interest to go for it! Let's say:

1PM, Sunday April 28th
Social gathering / potluck - bring a dish or drink to share
@ecomom & @seattlecyclone's home in Green Lake
First ~20 people to RSVP

I like ~1pm if it's at our house, to allow us to enjoy it more because toddler *might* nap. If it looks like great weather and we want to move to a park we might need to adjust timing so that we can bring him with us. I'll PM address to those who express interest either here or by PMing me. Limiting RSVPs because it seems like it might get logistically hairy. I'll also note that my son and I vegetarian (in case you can easily veg-ify your offering and care to) but there's no requirement that your dish be vegetarian.

@brandonbrews glad to find a neighbor on here - and totally understand about the imminent baby - congrats! Is it your first? I can PM you with some local resources for second hand/free stuff if desired.

@arebelspy sorry to have you miss out on this one - but maybe that's a good reason for us to do it around toddler nap time this time around. Happy to host a brunchy-breakfasty more toddler-friendly event in the future if this goes well.

Everyone else who said they can come - PMs will be coming to you in the future!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #933 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
@eco mom - Sounds good.  We'll plan for it, assuming baby #2 doesn't come early.  I'll PM you. 

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #934 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
@eco mom, we'd be interested in the potluck/gathering, sound nice! There's two of us, for counting purposes, and we'll likely bring something vegan.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
@eco mom

Thanks for offering up your home. I’d love to come (1 person). I can bring some fruit/veg or a dessert of some kind.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #936 on: April 17, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
Yay, more people! As people express interest, I'm sending each a message with our address and a sign up link so we don't end up all bringing the same thing.

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #937 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
Hi all,

Hello from this Australian attending Camp Mustache from May 24-27!

I hear there is often a pre-camp meetup with the greater Mustachian group in Seattle. I'll be in town a few days early. Just wondering if there are already plans for a meetup around Thu May 23?

Michelle @ FrugalityandFreedom

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: April 24, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
Let's say there is a hypothetical person that won a last-minute ticket to Camp Mustache Seattle. And then let's say this person may want to extend the trip to see some of the national parks or monuments in the area after camp.

Which national park would you prefer for someone who hasn't seen either? Olympic or North Cascades? Or something else?

Would this hypothetical person need to rent a car to get there and or get around once in the park or is there good public transportation?

Any suggestions on cheap places to stay?

Okay this hypothetical person is me ...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: April 24, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Hi all,

Hello from this Australian attending Camp Mustache from May 24-27!

I hear there is often a pre-camp meetup with the greater Mustachian group in Seattle. I'll be in town a few days early. Just wondering if there are already plans for a meetup around Thu May 23?

Michelle @ FrugalityandFreedom

I would be up for a meet up after we arrive on the 27th or during that week, unless I'm already headed to the national parks in the area.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #940 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »
My vote would be to rent a car, go over to the peninsula, and see the Ho national rainforest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ho+national+rainforest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5pfCr-enhAhXIFzQIHQAECK4Q_AUIDigB&biw=1416&bih=904&dpr=2

But there's so many beautiful areas in Washington, it's hard to go wrong.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »
My vote would be to rent a car, go over to the peninsula, and see the Ho national rainforest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ho+national+rainforest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5pfCr-enhAhXIFzQIHQAECK4Q_AUIDigB&biw=1416&bih=904&dpr=2

That looks really cool! Thanks!

It looks to be in Olympic National Park.

It sounds like I need a car then. ;-)

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #942 on: April 25, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
Let's say there is a hypothetical person that won a last-minute ticket to Camp Mustache Seattle. And then let's say this person may want to extend the trip to see some of the national parks or monuments in the area after camp.

Which national park would you prefer for someone who hasn't seen either? Olympic or North Cascades? Or something else?

Would this hypothetical person need to rent a car to get there and or get around once in the park or is there good public transportation?

Any suggestions on cheap places to stay?

Okay this hypothetical person is me ...

Have you been to Mount Rainier? I'd probably give that a slight edge over Olympic National Park, but they're both great. North Cascades has some nice hiking and nature and stuff, but I don't think of it as the same sort of "destination" that someone from across the country might want to come here just to see.

Regarding a pre-Camp meetup, there's been one in Gas Works Park in Seattle the afternoon/evening before Camp Mustache for the past few years. I'd stop by if such a meetup were to happen again.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #943 on: April 25, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »

That looks really cool! Thanks!

It looks to be in Olympic National Park.

It sounds like I need a car then. ;-)
You will likely end up needing a car regardless of the park you choose to visit. You do have the option to wing it once you get here based on the weather. Rainier is beautiful, but a bit underwhelming if things are socked in with clouds. If super rainy, then the rain forest and Pacific coast parts of Olympic are better options (though can be VERY wet).

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #944 on: April 28, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
Thanks again em/sc for hosting. It was so nice chatting and sharing food with y’all.

Here are links for a couple of topics that came up:

PBS newshour episode on MMM https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-these-penny-pinchers-retired-in-their-30s

Traveling Central America blog: http://freedomwithbruno.com/

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #945 on: April 28, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Thank you @ecomom for hosting us at your house today!  It was great to meet so many of you. 

We were amazed how almost everyone in the group had either reached FIRE or are mere months away from doing so.  Congrats to all!

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #946 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
Thanks all, it was fun, and look forward to doing some park meetups this summer and perhaps joining in for camping sometime if it works for us. Happy to organize a park meetup to celebrate @seattlecyclone's FIRE when it happens.

I'll share a couple links too, related to climate:

I mentioned Project Drawdown, with the 100 solutions that would effectively reverse global warming: https://www.drawdown.org/

And offsets certified by UN Climate Neutral Now: https://offset.climateneutralnow.org/

Welcome to the forums and your first meetup, @wokenup and family!

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #947 on: April 29, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
Thanks for hosting, eco mom and seattlecyclone! That was fun. We already spent some time on drawdown.org last night - good info there.

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #948 on: May 10, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
Following on from tradition of previous years, come along to a Pre-Camp Mustache 2019 meetup in Seattle.

Thu 23 May 6pm-8.30pm, Gas Works Park (meet nearish the restroom block).

This is a meetup of attendees to Camp Mustache, fans of Mr Money Mustache and ChooseFI, plus general financial independence enthusiasts.

See you there!

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/366733070716464/

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #949 on: May 23, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
Following on from tradition of previous years, come along to a Pre-Camp Mustache 2019 meetup in Seattle.

Thu 23 May 6pm-8.30pm, Gas Works Park (meet nearish the restroom block).

This is a meetup of attendees to Camp Mustache, fans of Mr Money Mustache and ChooseFI, plus general financial independence enthusiasts.

See you there!

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/366733070716464/

Just bumping this post because this is happening tonight.