Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401178 times)

zero_house

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #700 on: June 09, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
I enjoyed meeting everyone who made it out to Gasworks last month. In fact I got so involved in conversation that I missed out on meeting MMM himself! I heard that this group met somewhat regularly, and I was wondering if just checking this thread was the best way to stay updated or if there was a Facebook or Meetup page somewhere. Thanks!

TheBrandon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #701 on: June 10, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
I enjoyed meeting everyone who made it out to Gasworks last month. In fact I got so involved in conversation that I missed out on meeting MMM himself! I heard that this group met somewhat regularly, and I was wondering if just checking this thread was the best way to stay updated or if there was a Facebook or Meetup page somewhere. Thanks!

I've got notifications turned on for this thread whenever there's any posting.

Here's the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051424764875648/

I don't think there's anything planned at the moment but if you want to get the ball rolling.....

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #702 on: June 11, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
FWIW, I just got back in town and would be up for another meetup. If the sunny weather lasts, it'd be nice to have an outdoor get-together (discovery park, maybe?)

TheBrandon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #703 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Are any of you working towards FI by building/running your own business?

I'm working to FI this way and would like to connect with others doing something similar that live in the area. Please PM me if you are!

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #704 on: June 25, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
How about Sat the 8th around noon? I live by Gennesee Park and there's plenty of street parking around here. Happy to make it a potluck if folks want to bring snacks. Or up for other ideas!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: June 25, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »
I would like to try... flying in from Indonesia and arriving morning of the 8th.  Depends how jet lagged.  I've missed the last few meet ups.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #706 on: June 26, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
Sure!

The address is 3801 S Alaska Street and you'll see plenty of street parking around here.

Let's plan on noon on the 8th for now and see how many folks can join us. 917 538 4584 is my number if you want to text me.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: July 05, 2017, 04:25:03 AM »
Count me out of this one too.  I realized my flight doesn't arrive until Sunday morning.  Had the dates mixed up.

Kevin M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #708 on: July 05, 2017, 07:53:35 PM »
I will also be there. I just moved to the Seattle area. I'm looking forward to meeting some Washington Mustachians.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: July 06, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
I always miss these things. I will try to come. This Saturday, July 8? If I make it with mini me, we will only stay about an hour.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
Great- see everyone at 12PM in front of 3801 S Alaska then. We can walk to the park and if you arrive late just text me!

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #711 on: July 08, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
Fun meeting up with the gang! Would love to host more picnic as the summer weather is spoiling us in Seattle. I'll tentatively propose Aug 13th (Sun) to meet up in another park somewhere if people are around. :)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #712 on: July 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
I keep forgetting that we're 1/3 of the way through July already, which means it's almost August, which means MonkeyJenga is coming to visit! Yay!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #713 on: July 10, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
I will be in Seattle August 4-6 if anyone wants to get together then.  I'm happy with coffee or a walk or drinks.  (God, why do I feel like I'm in junior high, standing against the gym wall, waiting for someone to ask me to dance?)

I am visiting my sister, so if no one wants to dance, that's OK.  She'll dance with me. 

(I just made myself sound like an even bigger loser, didn't I?)

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
Great. I'm happy to host again at Genessee Park on Sun Aug 13th around noon? There's parking around our address 3801 S Alaska and the park is right across the road. I'll bring snacks!

If someone wants to host and has another idea- feel free to suggest it.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #715 on: July 16, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
Hi Seattleites. This might be a weird place to post this, so feel free to ignore.

Anyway: I recently scored a pair of boots, women's size 7.5, from my local Buy Nothing group, but the calves of the boots are too big for me. I quit the Buy Nothing group shortly after this transaction (not related to it - I just decided I have a little too much social anxiety to be comfortable with the group), so I can't post them back to the group. I am wondering if any local Mustachians might want them? They're J.Crew black leather dress boots. These, but black. I don't think they've ever been worn.

I have a small frame and the boots fit me about like they fit the model in the photo.

Anyway, let me know if there's any interest and I'd be happy to drop them off at a mutually agreeable location. I want someone to use them. I'll donate them in some other venue otherwise.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #716 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »
Any Seattlites want to join a group to carpool to central Oregon for the Total Solar Eclipse on August 21?

Details:
 * In Spray, OR which will have 1 minute and 50 seconds of totality. 
 * My friend booked 2 RV sites on the John Day river for up to 16 people for $500, but we are tent camping on these spaces (no one that has booked yet has and RV)
 * Allows you to camp from Saturday - Tuesday.  We are planning on going down Saturday and returning on Monday.  If you drive separate, you are free to stay until Tuesday.
 * 9 or 10 people confirmed, mostly around ages 40s to 50s, although one 80 and one college kid.  We will be bringing adult beverages.
 * We're only allowed 4 cars, so desire to carpool with 4 to a vehicle from the Seattle area (most of us live on south and east side, planning on taking I-90, then I-84 and side roads down.  $50 per extra car, although there may be places to park in the town of Spray but not guaranteed.
 * If you want to join, just pay your portion of the $500 we paid.  Better yet, if you put together a group of 4 and pay $125 and you can have half of one of the RV spots.   We'd like to get a deposit as we've had a couple friends back out for other commitments.
 * Amenities: 17 port-a-potties and a couple taps for washing, potable water but bring extra with you.
* may be able to share tent but you provide your own gear, food, drinks.
*  Here are pictures of the place.  Supposedly, our spot is very close to the river.  Feel free to bring tubes or raft.
https://www.johndayrivercamping.com/photo-tour/

I also blogged about planning for the trip...
https://thehotflashpacker.com/total-eclipse-2017/

PM me if interested.    Edited:  As of 7/24 I think we're full but msg me if interested.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:55:00 AM by JoJo »

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: July 24, 2017, 12:16:46 AM »
Re: August 13th @ noon sounds fantastic, I'll try to be there!

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #718 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
Awesome!

Slight change- I will start the meetup at 11:30AM as I have a commitment at 1PM. Address again is 3801 S Alaska St and feel free to text at 917 538 4584.

Anyone welcome to join us from 11:30AM onward! You guys can keep enjoying the day at the park.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #719 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
I plan to watch the Blue Angels and other airplanes tomorrow (Sunday) from right about here: https://goo.gl/maps/HNQUtmLy3MT2. Anyone want to join? Looks like a good day to spend outside in a park.

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #720 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
I love it when forum checking reveals a meetup I can attend! Looking forward to joining folks at Genesee on Sunday.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #721 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
See you all tomorrow! Leif and I were chatting last time about how we sometimes want to help our friends think through finances but of course in normal, polite company it's not always appropriate.

But I'd be the first to volunteer and ask for some advice from the group this Sun! Wondering if others would like the same exercise.

Mini journal:
retirement savings: around 45K in 2 different 401Ks
other savings/emergency fund: 4K in bank, and expecting another 8K soon (from contract work + fin aid) so around 12K by end of sept.
salary: starting a new job soon in Sept. It'll be an internship at 40K and then 60K after 6 months with the company (a UX research agency). I'm transitioning to UX as a career and it means starting over again- but seeing this as a good learning opportunity.
other jobs: work part-time at a restaurant 2 nights a week and it's about $30/hr after taxes, also planning on hosting Airbnb food tour experiences soon. I am a foodie so my side hustles all involve food!
current expenses: around 1800 for everything

Challenge at the moment: saving up to buy my first car so I can commute to this new job, and also I am starting graduate school at the UW which is about 20K a year for tuition and other costs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:12:55 PM by jingleszheng »

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #722 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Thanks Zheng for putting the meetup together. It was fun to meet you all!

ETA: This is the article about the Issaquah trailhead shuttle that I mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:59:22 PM by FiveSigmas »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
I'll be there.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #724 on: August 29, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
As sad as it is to say, that's too far out for me to make definite plans just now. I'll try, is the best I can come up with.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #725 on: August 29, 2017, 06:11:07 PM »
We've been talking about going out of town that weekend, but if we're here, we're in!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #726 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
I live in Everett, so it's a haul down there to meet up. But would be worth it. I enjoy driving my beater Honda!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #727 on: August 29, 2017, 11:48:27 PM »
Hey peeps, we'll be in Seattle for a few weeks. Anyone wanna hang out?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #728 on: August 29, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »

Hey Peep, which few weeks? Guaranteed you'll find some people to hang out with. (including me)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #729 on: August 30, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »

Hey Peep, which few weeks? Guaranteed you'll find some people to hang out with. (including me)

These next few weeks.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #730 on: August 30, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »

These next few weeks.  :)

Pick a date. Guaranteed you'll get some attendees. What area of Seattle are you staying at?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #731 on: August 30, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »
What area of Seattle are you staying at?

We're about 25 mintues north of the city, in Brier, but can meet anywhere.

I think we did a pizza place downtown one time?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #732 on: August 30, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
Downtown please. Burbs be scary.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #733 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
I'll join! If it's a weeknight, downtown is easiest for me. If it's the weekend then I don't care much where we meet, though I have a preference for north.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: August 31, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Since the weather is so nice, I prefer a park/picnic.  But with good/free parking.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #735 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:47 AM »

I'm in Dallas. I'll head your way.

No, seriously....

I've been planning a big road trip—well, not "planning" so much as intending—to take a Seattle trip to get away from the heat and scout out neighborhoods for a possible future move. And then I decided to drive it and stop a few places along the way.

Now that I'm not working, my plan was to take off soonish, but it's a holiday weekend, people panicked and caused a local gasoline shortage because they were afraid there would be a local gasoline shortage, and I'm apparently going to get a little bit of paid work to do, so my departure is probably mid-next-week now.

I've been intending to contact you in particular at Nords' urging, and I will, but hey if we're in Seattle at the same time we can meet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #736 on: September 01, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »
Sweet! PM me when you know the approximate dates you'll be getting to Seattle.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:28:06 PM by arebelspy »

lessismorekevin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #737 on: September 04, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
Let's meet up again!

I'm going to propose Saturday, September 16 at Noon.

I think the Genesee Park spot (by 3801 S Alaska) is working quite well, but open to other ideas as well.

Thanks Zheng for putting the meetup together last month. I'll look forward to September 16th.

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #738 on: September 07, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
I just moved to Seattle and conveniently live in New Holly, can't wait to meet ya'll on the 16th :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #739 on: September 07, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
Let's meet up again!

I think the Genesee Park spot (by 3801 S Alaska) is working quite well, but open to other ideas as well.

We're in for ~2 hours (have a 3:30 thing that day)!  Looking forward to seeing people again/meeting people.  :)

Seattle Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #740 on: September 07, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
A great park on the north side of Seattle is Carkeek Park. Beautiful view of the Puget Sound, and plenty of space for a picnic. There's a playground for kids, and trails for a gentle hike after the meetup.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: September 07, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
Let's meet up again!

Where is the meeting spot in this park or is it obvious?

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:47 AM »
Hopefully it's obvious, elsewise I'll be taking a walk around it until I spot a flock of fiscally responsible people talking about how hard it is to get into real estate in Seattle lol

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #743 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Hopefully it's obvious, elsewise I'll be taking a walk around it until I spot a flock of fiscally responsible people talking about how hard it is to get into real estate in Seattle lol
Well I for one will do my best to appear fiscally responsible, then.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #744 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
Hey all! Yep- 3801 S Alaska is an apt building and there's plenty of parking in the community center there or on the street.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing by on Sat- but hope you enjoy the park! Leif or others, if you decide to come earlier in the morning, come have coffee at my place. PS: Recommend someone bringing a picnic blanket or two. :)

InevitableFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #745 on: September 13, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Whoa Arebelsby. I grew up in Brier. My parents are still there. Loads of people near Brier don't even know Brier exists! How freakin' random is this? The main moderator of the forum that I've been reading obsessively for the last year is in my home town when he could be studying Tai Chi in China or some such thing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #746 on: September 13, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
Whoa Arebelsby. I grew up in Brier. My parents are still there. Loads of people near Brier don't even know Brier exists! How freakin' random is this? The main moderator of the forum that I've been reading obsessively for the last year is in my home town when he could be studying Tai Chi in China or some such thing.

Haha, I grew up here as well. Went to Brier Elementary 1st - 4th grade.  :)

Parents still live here (and many friends from elementary/high school are in the general area), so we visit once or twice a year.

InevitableFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #747 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »
I'm 29, name's Patrick, and I went to Lockwood Elementary. It's a little funny that you look so much like my friend Ryan Hart who also grew up in Brier and also has an unconventional bent to him too. Task Rabbit, Fulfillment By Amazon, and he's a technophile. The resemblance is so close I just checked his facebook friends to see if you were a cousin. I'm going to do my best to make it to this meetup, but it is difficult since I work graveyard as a mechanic at Alaska Airlines and would be getting off that Saturday morning and returning to work Saturday night so we'll see. BTW community-at-large, if anyone else works for Alaska Airlines in the Seattle area I'd like to hear from you! Maybe we can hang out?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Is this a potluck or not? Don't want to show up empty-handed if it is.

Good question. No one mentioned that, so it hadn't crossed my mind. I'd assume no, at this point.

Annabelle got sick, so Ali will be staying back with her, but I'll still be going (solo).

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
I'll try to show up for a bit toward the beginning, but at some point I'll have to run off to a friend's kid's first birthday party.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!