Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401162 times)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »
Wow, that is a profoundly weird photo. Where on earth did they get the idea to lounge on the grass?

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm always down for a meetup, although I'm insanely busy lately with school/work. I'm actually considering hosting one if anyone's interested, but need to talk to my husband first.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still interested in getting together this month but the 27th or 28th would work for my wife and I.  Maybe put some Thanksgiving left-overs to use for a little potluck? 

leontager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:52 PM »
I'd love to meet up with people in Seattle. I can even host if other people would like to join. Would anyone be interested in a potluck? I'm located in the CD.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2015, 12:20:56 AM »
I'm interested! Thanks for offering to host!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
I'd love to meet up with people in Seattle. I can even host if other people would like to join. Would anyone be interested in a potluck? I'm located in the CD.

Pick a day that works well for you and I'll do my best to make it! How's parking where you're located. Room for my motorcycle?

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »
Hi leontager - I'm in the CD too. My own house isn't really suitable for hosting, sadly, but I'm happy to assist your effort (bringing chairs or whatnot) if it ends up having legs. I'll check back.

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
I'm close to the CD and would love to join as well!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
Will attend if schedule allows, and I'm in town through the holidays.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
I'm also in the CD! What about next weekend (Dec. 12/13) sometime in the afternoon or a brunchy/lunchy potluck? I can also help bringing supplies, I have some easy-ish to transport chairs and an Ikea set of picnic plates/cups.

Leontager, are you a member of the Washington Mustachians Facebook group? That might be a good way to coordinate this too.

December 12 would work well for me!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
We'll be out of town that weekend but will be around between Xmas and New Year's if anyone wants to do another gathering.  Regardless, have fun next weekend, and Go Hawks!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
Mr. CM and I are in! Leon I think we ran into you a few months ago at the Pierogi festival...?

Dec 12-13 will work, we will be around. Can bring food & our foldup camping chairs.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm going to participate in Santacon on 12/12 - starts at Fado Irish pub @ 11am. 
But if you guys meet later in the day somewhere, this 'Santa' will be there.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
Did this ever firm up into anything for this weekend? I see plenty of interest, but nothing definite.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
I'm definitely still up for a MMM gathering.  We're out of town MLK weekend and part of the next so don't wait for us if other people can make it.  Feb and March are much more open for us.  Or a weeknight after 6pm could work. 

innatelynate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Count 2 more for a Feb/Mar meetup.

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm in as well!

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm interested.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Two more here for a February/March meetup. MLK Jr Day is possible, but unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »
Hi there,

I'd also be up for it - schedule pretty flexible at this point.

Cheers,

A.

walkman3000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
I would be interested in a January meet up, get the year started right.  I have transportation limitations but reasonable timing flexibility.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm also interested for February or March! January will be tough for me as I'm having hip surgery next week.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Feb/March would be great. May I suggest the cafe at Third Place Books in Ravenna (65th NE and 20th)? If it's held there I could attend.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
Me too! Third Place Books in LFP would be awesome since it's 10 min from my apartment. ;)

We will be gone President's Day weekend in February though.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »
Ravenna Third Place Books is much closer to me, but I'd be happy to lead a group bike ride on the Burke from Fremont or UDistrict up to the Lake Forest Park location. Assuming I'm not sick or that the meetup isn't too early in the morning..

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
Ravenna Third Place Books is much closer to me, but I'd be happy to lead a group bike ride on the Burke from Fremont or UDistrict up to the Lake Forest Park location. Assuming I'm not sick or that the meetup isn't too early in the morning..

We're in the Tangletown area and might be up for bike caravan-ing up. 

Let's get a date on the books so people can plan accordingly.  Looking at the calendar, the only Saturday in Feb and March that we have plans that can't move is February 20th.  Anyone else have any Saturday conflicts?  Or is another day of the week preferable?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
Saturdays work well for us. As for which, that depends on the time; we have plans for the afternoon on the 13th, but are open otherwise.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
I was just in the Ravenna Third Place Books and see that the cafe area is pretty small (and sure to be busy on the weekend). So, the LFP location might be a better option for the meeting.

All Saturdays in February are good for me except for 2/27. And brandonbrews can't do 2/20. So that leaves us with:
- 2/6
- 2/13 (in the morning so that ceeteebee can make it)

lhamo, since you got this ball rolling would you like to pick the date?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:51 AM »
I'm available
February
  • 6th/7th and
  • 20th/21st
to meet. 

March I'm available the
  • 5th/6th and
  • 26th/27th.

(Just getting my vote in)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2016, 08:05:17 AM »
I think I am going to try and take advantage of the concentrated numbers of "Seattleites" around here and pick some brains. I am going to be wandering around the U District on Jan.21/22 (too early for the Meetup, sadly) while DW is "in conference" at the UW, with absolutely ZERO knowledge of the area. Would appreciate very much if some "locals" might be able to give me some pub/restaurant suggestions...some nice walks, etc...

Thanks in advance...:)

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

If anybody in the N. Seattle area needs a ride (either there or home), let me know -- I can fit up to four more people in my car.
Awesome, looking forward to it!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
Mr. CM's office is down near the U District and he really likes Zoka's Coffee.

Also, the library at the university is really beautiful. We actually did some of our engagement photos in there. The Botanic Gardens are also pretty, with some small trails.

We'll plan to be at the meetup on Feb 6th!

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
@Feb 6 - looking forward to it.

@Jan 21or 22 UW-area rendezvous with JS and Ihamo, if my recovery from surgery continues to proceed smoothly, I'd love join you. Would welcome the chance to discuss with fellow travelers the ups and downs of giving notice to employer of early retirement (Jan 5)  AND undergoing unplanned scary surgery (Jan 8) within a single week. What a roller coaster....By the end of next week should have a better sense of things.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
@Everyone, we'll be looking forward to meeting you on the 6th. 

@Jon_Snow, wandering the UW campus is great.  A bit further away, the Arboretum and Greenlake are good walks with good scenery.  Yelp can help with food options.  For beer, since that's what I know best, Bottleworks and the Burgundian probably have the widest and best options.  Big Time and Elysian Tangletown are the closest brewpubs.  Kate's Pub has a good happy hour and usually has some local standards. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

@Jan 21or 22 UW-area rendezvous with JS and Ihamo, if my recovery from surgery continues to proceed smoothly, I'd love join you. Would welcome the chance to discuss with fellow travelers the ups and downs of giving notice to employer of early retirement (Jan 5)  AND undergoing unplanned scary surgery (Jan 8) within a single week. What a roller coaster....By the end of next week should have a better sense of things.

Could this be considered The Seattle Meetup: pre-game edition? :) The 21st would work really well for me...I'm leaving Vancouver early and hope to arrive in Seattle just in time to miss rush hour (9:30-ish?). You guys (gals) pick the spot and time and I'll be there, be it for a walk (if we are all feeling up to it and the weather is decent) or we can just park ourselves somewhere and enjoy a hot beverage. I don't know Seattle well at all, but my TomTom should get me to the agreed upon place.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
A Seattle visit? What fun! I wish I could join you and lhamo, but have a crazy schedule of trainings all week.

I agreed with lhamo's suggestions, except about Fremont. It's no longer the funky town that we knew and loved. It's very hectic hipster, consumer-centered, and much built up since the 1990s.

UW campus:
- Red Square and the newly completed Rainier Vista (both offer views of Mt. Rainier)
- Suzzallo Library
- wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ (Intellectual House) is worth the visit - it's built to resemble a longhouse, main room is beautiful
- You can kick back and relax at the HUB (Husky Union Building student center)
- Portion of the Burke Gilman Trail (near UW Medical Center) is closed so do be sure check before you use it
- Campus map

International District is fun (though Vancouver probably offers tough competition!):
- Take bus #71, 72, 73 to the International District Station
- Panama Hotel (still a hotel and has a cafe, a fascinating look into US Japanese American history)
- Wing Luke Museum (especially if you take the "Historic Hotel Tour")
- Uwajimaya (grocery, food court, bookstore) and KOBO at Higo (local & Japanese arts & crafts)
- Szechuan Noodle Bowl - plain, no frills, cash-only, and home to my favorite green onion pancakes

Special date for you and Lady Snow
- Walk in Olympic Sculpture Park - such views!
- Elliott Bay Book Company
- Kingfish Cafe - Here you can get soul food in a low-key setting (check out the vintage photos). Owned by twin sisters.
- Monsoon is my favorite restaurant in Seattle - run by a brother sister chefs. Food is fresh, healthy, and incredibly delicious. (Literally across the street from Kingfish Cafe.)

Please feel free to PM with any other questions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:25:17 PM by Exhale »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »

Could this be considered The Seattle Meetup: pre-game edition? :) The 21st would work really well for me...I'm leaving Vancouver early and hope to arrive in Seattle just in time to miss rush hour (9:30-ish?). You guys (gals) pick the spot and time and I'll be there, be it for a walk (if we are all feeling up to it and the weather is decent) or we can just park ourselves somewhere and enjoy a hot beverage. I don't know Seattle well at all, but my TomTom should get me to the agreed upon place.

If it were after normal work hours, I could join in on the pre-game action. I'm less than a mile down the road on Eastlake for work (and went to UW for 5 years).

My go-to for food in the U-district is Thai Tom. Others have also said it, but Suzallo Library is a great building to check out. Enter immediately off of red square.

Coming from Vancouver, it is worth checking if the Amtrak train schedule works for you. It will drop you off in downtown Seattle, and it is a 20 minute bus ride north from there. The train ride is pretty nice if it lines up with your schedule.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2016, 08:27:39 PM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

I'm in!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
Could this be considered The Seattle Meetup: pre-game edition? :) The 21st would work really well for me...
If it were after normal work hours, I could join in on the pre-game action.

I could also meet after work on 1/21. I suggest Happy Hour at Mio Posto (#65 bus from the University District). Also, it'll be easier for lhamo to find parking.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »
Would appreciate very much if some "locals" might be able to give me some pub/restaurant suggestions...

I went to UW. I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest the College Inn pub. :) It's loud and smelly but almost always full of college kids (graduate students too?) drinking, eating, and having a good time.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »

I'm in!

Also in!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
Coming from Vancouver, it is worth checking if the Amtrak train schedule works for you. It will drop you off in downtown Seattle, and it is a 20 minute bus ride north from there. The train ride is pretty nice if it lines up with your schedule.

It's a good thought Glenstache...and actually something I'd like to do another time - I have heard good things about the train trip...it's probably how we would choose to visit Oregon at some point. We are going to be visiting some family scattered about Greater Seattle as well...so bringing our truck down is probably our best option.

I could also meet after work on 1/21. I suggest Happy Hour at Mio Posto (#65 bus from the University District). Also, it'll be easier for lhamo to find parking.

We should explore this option further. It would be a shame if I was in your town and we couldn't at least say hello in person. :)

And BTW, I'm loving the Seattle info-dump from everyone. I am going to reference this thread for future visits. If the Hawks win another Superbowl, I am definitely coming down for THAT. Almost did for the last victory parade.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: January 15, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
If When the Hawks win another Superbowl

Ahem. ;)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
Well, this is awesome lhamo!

I am most definitely IN for Meetup #1. I am hoping the weather gods favour us (and Amesenator feels better) so that we can walk around the lake - I want to scout it out as a possible urban kayaking spot. A bit of research about the lake reveals that there are NO motorized craft allowed in there...that is wonderful and sounds like a great spot for a fitness focused paddle (lakes are often better than the ocean for this) around the circumference of the lake. I will likely cross the border and head straight to the Cafe...which sounds quite nice from some reviews I just read.

Meetup #2 should be possible too. Just need to let my better half in on it and see what she thinks. She is quite social and would not be opposed to meeting some new people I think. We have plans to visit family while in Seattle, but I don't think that is until the next day. I think Mio Posto might even be within walking distance from our hotel on NE 45th, just west of the campus. We will probably walk one way at least, maybe cab back to hotel if we feel lazy (or if the walk is longer than it looks). I'm 80% sure I can make this Meetup...will firm up on this soon.

As for the Main Event Meetup....I'll leave that one to the actual Seattleites. :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
"Pre-game" Jon Snow meetup #2:  Thursday 1/21, 6:00pm (ish) at Mio Posto on 55th and 35th Ave NE (U Village/Bryant area).  http://miopostopizza.com/bryant, to accommodate those with day jobs.  I'm not sure I can make it to this -- will depend on how DS's homework load is progressing.

Saturday 2/6, 10:30am  at Lake Forest Park Third Place Books  http://www.thirdplacebooks.com/directions.  I will be at this meetup and can offer rides to/from for anyone in NE Seattle who might need it.  The location is also accessible via bus 372 from the U District (and possibly other routes)

---

I can make it to Meetup #2, but completely understand if doesn't end up working out for folks.

And, of course, I'm looking forward to 2/6!

Did anyone see the amazing rainbows today?

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »
I may be able to make it to #2 on 1/21, depending on how my work schedule develops this week. I have a team deadline on Friday which could mean staying late on Thursday, unfortunately. Don't count on me, but I will monitor this thread for changes in the location/time and see if I can swing it.

2/6 is also looking good for me.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
#2 on 1/21 is a high possibility for me. Depending on Mr. CM's workload he may be able to make it too.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »
DW arrives back from out of town tonight and I will ask her about Meetup #2. I anticipate we will be there...good to see that the ranks of attendees looks to be growing for this event!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
I'm not in Seattle yet but thinking about moving there...it made it to my top 4 places. I've never been there but plan on taking a 14 State tour looking for a new place to live. I should be in the area around the end of Feb/early Mar, it would be cool to meet up with some of you to pick your brains on the area. If you have any pros/cons about the area feel free to PM me. Thanks!

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
I'm interested in the Thursday meetup #2. Not 100% sure yet if I'll be able to make it from work to the U-district but I can try, and will let you know if I can't make it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:33:32 PM by hamsterman »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!