Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401166 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Yes, the west half of Gasworks park is closed until about a week after the proposed meetup. I think it is still worth considering as it is a central location that is logistically pretty easy to congregate at and still offers nice views, etc. Locations like Carkeek (beautiful and great) have limited parking and are pretty out of the way for many arriving by bike. It's on my way home from work, so not a big deal for me, but may be inconvenient for others. Woodland Park has a number of picnic areas with gazebos. Woodland park doesn't have the epic views of the waterfront parks, but is still pretty nice, centrally located, and bike friendly.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
A couple other ideas:
You could bike across I-90 and do one of the parks on Mercer Island (Luther Burbank or the lid on the west side)
Do the Ballard Locks have a picnic area?  It's fun to watch the lock and mare there salmon at that time of year?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:29 AM »
Yes, the west half of Gasworks park is closed until about a week after the proposed meetup. I think it is still worth considering as it is a central location that is logistically pretty easy to congregate at and still offers nice views, etc. Locations like Carkeek (beautiful and great) have limited parking and are pretty out of the way for many arriving by bike. It's on my way home from work, so not a big deal for me, but may be inconvenient for others. Woodland Park has a number of picnic areas with gazebos. Woodland park doesn't have the epic views of the waterfront parks, but is still pretty nice, centrally located, and bike friendly.

I want to second Gasworks (despite the hill closure, it'll still have lake and skyline views, right?) but more importantly the idea that we keep the location easy to access. The previous "meet MMM" meetup in Seattle was pretty far north at a bike-unfriendly location*. We should hold this one in a central location that's easy for people to attend by any mode of transportation.

We could do a ride on the Burke-Gilman that includes Gasworks for a potluck/picnic, and/or ride over to the Fremont Brewery (either after the picnic or instead of the picnic as a rain-plan). That way non-cyclists could join up with the group at either/both locations. I understand not everyone rides a bike. The ride could continue to the Locks for out-of-towners to see it, etc.

* Lake City Way, prior to the 125th St road-diet. MMM even advertised free beer to anyone who rode there but only about 3 people took him up on it.

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
What about Seward Park? Its large, nice, and can be accessed from I-90 and I-5 for people driving and is walking distance or a short bus/bike ride from the Light Rail.

I might also be biased because its my favorite park in Seattle :)

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »
Seward Park would be great on a day when Lake Washington Blvd is closed to cars, but otherwise Lake Wa Blvd is kinda crappy to bike on in my opinion.

I love Golden Gardens, and it would be a great way to show MMM the Ballard Greenway (on NW 58th) that we worked hard to get the city to implement.

But I still like Gasworks the best, with its proximity to the Burke and Fremont Brewing.  There's an area there with BBQ grills and picnic tables that I've been to before for a birthday party: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/Reservations/picnics/GasWorks2.pdf

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2015, 11:46:03 PM »
I stopped by Gas Works this evening. There's still a little area where you can get up to the water and see the downtown skyline across the lake, and lots of open space away from the hill. It's not quite the full Gas Works experience, but still should be perfectly suitable for a meetup.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
+1 Gasworks.  Post the final decision, and I'll be there.  Veggie burgers and portable gas grill available.

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Is anyone still looking for a ticket to camp mustache? I was really looking forward to the weekend and all the events around it, but have had other obligations come up and I won't be able to attend. PM if interested, slight discount over the initial sticker price.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Hi all.  I'm one of the Camp Mustache organizers, and MMM is interested in having a Seattle Meetup on the evening of Thursday May 21st (the night before Camp Mustache).  I'll be pretty busy then, but we were wondering if anyone else here would like to organize a meet up for that day. This is what he had in mind:

"I was thinking of showing up a day early  to do some fun some stuff in Seattle first, and maybe even hosting a general-purpose meetup in a nice park somewhere central (weather permitting, otherwise it could be a house or pub). Then the next day I could carpool up to Camp with anybody willing. Our Seattle day could even start with a group bike ride that anyone would be free to join".

Feel free to post here if you have any ideas.

Park map for reference: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/_images/maps/picnics/GasWorks.pdf

It sounds like the general consensus has landed on Gasworks park. I am organizing another event the following week, so I don't have the capacity to take on being any kind of "real" organizer for this, but to get things moving towards specifics, suggest:

-- Bike ride: those who want to do the bike ride meet up at the the east end of the stone sculpture at the park at 4pm to start riding by 4:15. The default would be for the ride to do an out/back along the Burke, but will likely evolve/change based on who shows up. (side note: does MMM need wheels for this, or is he set?)

-- Potluck: begin at 6pm at Shelter 1 or 2 with the expectation that people will trickle in over the next hour as they get off of work (for those of us that have jobs, that is). Please bring something to share, that is grass-seating friendly. It will be dinner-time-ish, so hearty snacks would be a good option. If you have something specific that you are planning on bringing, please post in the thread below.

The picnic area shelters at Gasworks can be reserved for between $70 and $190, which would provide some certainty as to places to put communal stuff to share. However, I suggest that we forgo the reservation and just bring blankets and folding chairs and camp out on the grass if the shelters are not available first-come first-served basis. If someone else wants to volunteer to handle a reservation, I'd be happy to pitch in a few bucks to help cover the expense.
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/picnic_detail.asp?id=293

Please comment if you have thoughts one way or another on that, or anything else above-- these are just suggestions to get things nailed down.

note: Edited for schedule, and additional potluck details.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:56:47 PM by Glenstache »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:08 PM »
Glenn, thanks for getting the ball rolling! I'm also planning an event for the following day...Camp Mustache ;)

I agree that we don't need the shelter and can rely on fair weather, and our own badassity as a rain plan.

I'm not gonna be able to make it so I don't really have a dog in this race, but I think the entire thing should be shifted about an hour later (ride at 4, dinner at 6). I'll let the people who are attending decide.

Intoku

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2015, 12:01:04 AM »
I might make it. Sounds like fun!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
I'm not gonna be able to make it so I don't really have a dog in this race, but I think the entire thing should be shifted about an hour later (ride at 4, dinner at 6). I'll let the people who are attending decide.

That would work better for me, at least. I wouldn't be able to get there until 6 anyway.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »
6:00 sounds great for me, would leave plenty of time for me to get over there after work.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
6:00 gives us a little wiggle room for the drive down. Can't help much with the organizing since we are totally unfamiliar with the area, but happy to do what we can :)

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
I'll try to be there for the ride but will definitely be there by 6:00.  I'll swing by Fremont Brewery and pick up a growler as well.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
I am also in for the May 21st meetup at Gasworks.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
Darn it! Turns out I'm working that night.  Love my job, but hate that my schedule changes every month.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
All right! I just heard about this meeting plan, so thank you everyone for figuring out the meeting spot!

I'll be there, and staying at a nearby hotel called the Staybridge Suites with a couple of friends who are also attending THE CAMP, so I think everything is set up. I'll just announce it on the blog or at least Twitter about a week before the actual event.

!!Super Excited To See Everyone!!

-Pete

scarletink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
Neat.. I got lucky & heard about this meetup elsewhere.. maybe we need some type of mailing list or something.

Anyway, I'll check with my wife & a few local friends to see if we can show up at 6ish :)

Did anyone actually get the reservations yet?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
Neat.. I got lucky & heard about this meetup elsewhere.. maybe we need some type of mailing list or something.

Anyway, I'll check with my wife & a few local friends to see if we can show up at 6ish :)

Did anyone actually get the reservations yet?

I don't think we are going to reserve a shelter, but will meet in that area, as described in the post higher up in the thread. Now that you have responded to this thread, any time there is a new post, it will show up in your "Show new replies to your posts" list.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Can't wait!  Will sneak out early for the ride and bring a home brew growler.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
Can someone confirm the address for us out of towners? I've got a couple of conflicting ones looking up the park.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
Can someone confirm the address for us out of towners? I've got a couple of conflicting ones looking up the park.

The map link in the details post above includes both a map of the specific locations in the park and how to get there from I-5. Here it is again for good measure:
 http://www.seattle.gov/parks/_images/maps/picnics/GasWorks.pdf

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2015, 04:09:03 PM »

The map link in the details post above includes both a map of the specific locations in the park and how to get there from I-5. Here it is again for good measure:
 http://www.seattle.gov/parks/_images/maps/picnics/GasWorks.pdf

Thanks Glenstache, trying to track too many details right now my brain is crammed - I forgot about the post.

SeaG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
Hi all.  I'm one of the Camp Mustache organizers, and MMM is interested in having a Seattle Meetup on the evening of Thursday May 21st (the night before Camp Mustache).  I'll be pretty busy then, but we were wondering if anyone else here would like to organize a meet up for that day. This is what he had in mind:

"I was thinking of showing up a day early  to do some fun some stuff in Seattle first, and maybe even hosting a general-purpose meetup in a nice park somewhere central (weather permitting, otherwise it could be a house or pub). Then the next day I could carpool up to Camp with anybody willing. Our Seattle day could even start with a group bike ride that anyone would be free to join".

Feel free to post here if you have any ideas.

Park map for reference: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/_images/maps/picnics/GasWorks.pdf

It sounds like the general consensus has landed on Gasworks park. I am organizing another event the following week, so I don't have the capacity to take on being any kind of "real" organizer for this, but to get things moving towards specifics, suggest:

-- Bike ride: those who want to do the bike ride meet up at the the east end of the stone sculpture at the park at 4pm to start riding by 4:15. The default would be for the ride to do an out/back along the Burke, but will likely evolve/change based on who shows up. (side note: does MMM need wheels for this, or is he set?)

-- Potluck: begin at 6pm at Shelter 1 or 2 with the expectation that people will trickle in over the next hour as they get off of work (for those of us that have jobs, that is).

The picnic area shelters at Gasworks can be reserved for between $70 and $190, which would provide some certainty as to places to put communal stuff to share. However, I suggest that we forgo the reservation and just bring blankets and folding chairs and camp out on the grass if the shelters are not available first-come first-served basis. If someone else wants to volunteer to handle a reservation, I'd be happy to pitch in a few bucks to help cover the expense.
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/picnic_detail.asp?id=293

Please comment if you have thoughts one way or another on that, or anything else above-- these are just suggestions to get things nailed down.

note: Edited for schedule.

Hey everyone, is this the final plan ? Ride at 4PM, potluck starts at 6PM ?
No one else mentioned potluck so I'm wondering if we're just going to have a chat in the park (as opposed to carrying food, plates, etc. etc.).

maxhot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
Was anyone else planning on participating in the potluck?

I was planning on bringing chips and tuna salad dip (doesn't require additional plates or utensils), but if no one else is signed up for the potluck it may as well just be a chat.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2015, 06:40:35 PM »

I was planning on bringing chips and tuna salad dip (doesn't require additional plates or utensils), but if no one else is signed up for the potluck it may as well just be a chat.

I'm thinking snacks and finger foods might be best, I was planning on bringing something to share, not sure if it will be something homemade that can travel down with us or something we pick up along the way. Even just using it as an excuse to meet everyone..."Hi I'm Swick, want to try some...?"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:18:02 PM by swick »

maxhot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
Yay, I'm not alone!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »

I edited the details post above to say for people to say what they would plan on bringing, but the default would be something in the "hearty snack" realm. I am coming from work via bike, so will probably bring some sort of chip and dip type affair to share that travels well in tupperware (just realized that is quite the rhyme stream, unintended).

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Yeah, I think finger foods / "hearty snacks" are a great idea. I might bring egg salad sandwiches.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
EVENT DETAILS: (Taken from Glenstach's post for easy reading)

-- Bike ride: those who want to do the bike ride meet up at the the east end of the stone sculpture at the park at 4pm to start riding by 4:15. The default would be for the ride to do an out/back along the Burke, but will likely evolve/change based on who shows up.

-- Potluck: begin at 6pm at Shelter 1 or 2 with the expectation that people will trickle in over the next hour as they get off of work (for those of us that have jobs, that is). Please bring something to share, that is grass-seating friendly. It will be dinner-time-ish, so hearty snacks would be a good option. If you have something specific that you are planning on bringing, please post in the thread below.

Edited to add: I've made some gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free (are you still reading?!?) Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge Bites to share. They are actually surprisingly tasty given how "free" from everything they are :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:22:40 PM by swick »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
Will try to show up around 6pm.

Edit: nvm, forgot about previous plans...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:35:33 PM by wololo »

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm new in town and would love to come out and meet you all!  I'll bring some fried rice and will try to be there around six. 

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »
I'll try to make it out tomorrow, but I don't have time to prepare any food for you guys. All I have on hand is prepackaged junk food which I doubt anyone wants...

happy2help

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2015, 02:01:51 AM »
Just found this place and wanted to reply to make sure I catch it the next time around.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I won't be able to make the ride (drat!), but will be there just before 6pm on a red bike.

scarletink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
Hey all - had a great time meeting everyone! I hope we do this again soon :)

Dave

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Hello everyone!

I just landed a job in Seattle and will be moving up here mid-June.  I definitely plan to make it to any meetups that pop up! 

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
Hi All - is there an official Seattle MMM meet-up group? I would love to join if there is one.  I am contemplating making the move to semi ER and would like to meet others with the MMM mind set.  Thanks!!!!!!

maxhot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
As far as I know there's no organized group here in Seattle.  We've had a few gatherings organized using this thread.  If someone were to make a group, I would suggest making a Facebook Page

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Sorry I missed you guys at Gasworks last Thursday - I had a 7pm Sound Wave rehearsal, and was attending Camp Mustache II the next day.  BUT... now I'm regretting not meeting the other Seattle Mustachian's who weren't able to make CMII.  I'm in the eastside (Bellevue Factoria/Willburton area), and am very interested in future meetups.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
There WILL be a Camp Mustache III (over Memorial Day weekend 2016)... stay tuned!

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
So late to this thread but pleased to see Camp Mustache for next year. Already on my calendar....

Bruce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
We're in North-central Washington but make it to Seattle for a weekend every few months. Is there a Seattle MMM facebook group?

maxhot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
Is now!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle-MMM-and-ERE/474236296090846

I'll flesh out the details later, but for now, please join.

Bruce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
Thanks! May I suggest a closed group instead? It will be a little more secure for discussions and meetup planning. Facebook needs to be more secure since most of us use our real names.

I created a closed group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051424764875648). Just request to join and I will add you.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Hi Seattle Mustachians!

I was wondering if anyone lives near the airport and would be up for having a couch surfer on August on 31 st? I have a flight out about 9:00am on the 1st. Or...does anyone know of a reasonable hotel close by the airport? I don't know the area or what is really doable on foot.

Thanks!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
Very few people live within walking distance of the airport. It's mostly hotels and parking lots and other businesses all around there. If you expand your search to places within walking distance of a Link station you might have better luck. The train starts running plenty early to catch a 9 AM flight.

Hunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI.
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
SEATTLE MMM EMAIL LIST:

I'm starting a Seattle area MMM email list for get-togethers in the area.  If you want to be on the list, send me a PM.  People can still propose ideas and work out logistics here on the forum, but people who don't want to follow all of that and only want to be notified when something local is actually happening can get that directly.  Just send me a PM with your email and I'll set it up.  No spam, I promise.

Hunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI.
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »
MMM MEETUP/POTLUCK NEAR SEATTLE ON SATURDAY AUGUST 29TH 2015 AT JUANITA BEACH PARK, KIRKLAND, WA.  4pm-7pm

I've been meaning to schedule a MMM meetup near Seattle for a long time, but only recently became FI and now finally have the time.  I'd love to meet some more Mustachians in the Seattle area.  We're doing a Potluck at Juanita Beach, in Kirkland WA on 8/29/15.

Here is the park website:
http://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/parks/Parks_and_Open_Spaces/Online_Parks_Guide/Parks_Pop-up_Main/Parks_and_Community_Services__Juanita_Beach_Park.htm

There is a playground for kids, a beach, volleyball, and shady areas.  Just volunteer to bring a main dish or side dish and post it here.  (This crowd is geared toward the healthier side of the food spectrum, but not snobby about it.)  It doesn’t need to be anything fancy.  I'll bring some form of delicious main dish.   

We'll try to get a couple of picnic tables--usually we're able to.  I'll bring a folding table just in case.  Feel free to bring a folding chair or blanket.  Look for the sign with a mustache on it to locate the group.

This is a low-key, informal get-together.  Everyone is super-nonjudgmental and welcoming, so introverts don't fret and come on out!  A few people will probably share their successes, challenges, and tips in their Mustachian journeys.  And we'll hang out and have some good food.  When you get nice, smart people together, it’s just good.  People find ways to help each other.     

CARPOOLING:  I'll be driving from Bothell and could give someone a ride.  If you want to carpool, post here and someone in your area will probably be able to help you out.

There will be singles, couples, and families there, so if you have kids, feel free to bring them.

Please RSVP by posting here and/or sending me an email.  Any suggestions are welcome.  See you all there!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!