Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 11554 times)

Jazzpolice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
San Diego
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »
Are there enough mustachians from San Diego here for a meetup sometime?  Seems a little harder finding like minded people these days if we leave it to random chance...

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
Re: San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »

I'm in the downtown area.
It would be great to get an SD group together.
I'm jealous of the Portlanders, they've had 2 in just a couple months.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
Hello, I'm up in North County.

SkinnyGreenMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
I'm probably a bit younger than most of the crowd, but I'm SD local as well.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:14:48 PM »

legal drinking age is the minimum requirement. or at least a very good fake ID. JK. If you are younger than most of us and on this website it means that you probably are wiser than some of us who were your age. should be fun. if we get enough people we should do a beer garden.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »

Wanted to bring this back to life. Anyone interested in meeting up on 10/4 (Sat) sometime after lunch and go for a stroll on the beach? I'm thinking Del Mar or Torrey Pines. Parking isn't terrible but if people wanna come from OC/LA we can meet in Solana Beach since Amtrak stops right there.
Everyone can bring a little food/drinks to share.

Jazzpolice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
Sounds good!  It looks like Orange County/LA has had meet-ups & none yet in SD. 

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »
Checking in from South Park!  Good idea on the "cheap date" kinds of stuff.  Balboa park is a nice spot too, good places to hang out/stroll/bring a picnic.  Bonus points because it's close for me. :)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Yea I can walk to balboa park!
great idea :)

newmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
Hello! I would like to meet up as well! I am from LA, but I think the drive isn't that big of a deal, considering the knowledge I might gain from some like minded individuals could prove to be invaluable.

I'm 26 and just got hired for my first job after grad school (graduated in June) and I am sooooo ready to start getting rich!

jesstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Hi I'm in San Diego too (mission beach)! I'd love to meet up sometime.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
I am relocating to San Diego. Need help!

I will be in SD Nov 10 to 14th.

Would like to meet up with fellow MMMs.

We will move in December.

DDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Why buy new when extremely used will do.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
Hey San Diego people,

I am headed out your way in March, and I am wondering if any of you have suggestions on where I could rent a few bikes for a week, or have some yourselves you can rent  me.  Definitely willing to give a large cash deposit and pay your whatever you need to feel comfortable with loaning them out. Looking for something low end to middle of the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Dan

awsmvodka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »
Anything planned for the end of Dec? I would love to meet others in San Diego. I reside in National City.

malacca

• Bristles
Wahooooooo!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
We made it to San Diego!

It took 5 days. We had free hotel nights so we took our time. Had trailer in tow. Two kids. Easy kids.

Moved into house in El Cajon (near Santee). Great neighbors.

Two neighbor couples came over to greet us. One brought cup cakes - gluten free cup cakes - great since we avoid gluten. The other couple brought Christmas presents for my kids. Unreal. Neighborhood is mixed with some households focused on trucks, RVs , boats and off road vehicles. Very white here. Could use some more diversity (we are "global" family).

Originally we were to move to Pacific Beach area but changed to East county due to schooling needs.

So far so great.

Housing:
I have discovered that there are two housing taxes here. 1) Lots of people wanting to live here. Less so inland, but still some competition. 2) County is a big fat leech that adds 200K to building your own home. Money goes to fat salaries for slugs and fat retirement plans.

A lot of houses would be tear downs or condemned in many parts of the country. They exist because the "tax" to bulldoze and build new is stupidly high (200K).

We are looking at 150K more for similar house to what we had in the cold midwest. Gosh, I may have to get a day job. Not a Mustache place but given our narrow educational requirements and desire for good weather, it is the only choice.

Other observations:

So far people are very friendly. Even the occasional homes / beggar was polite.

Traffic was fine. But I am not in the rush hour.

malacca

• Bristles
Anyone out there?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »
Anyone out there?

Are there no MMMs in San Diego?

I am inland - EL Cajon / Santee area.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
I'll be in SD next weekend.  Not sure if I'll have time for a full few hour meetup, but maybe lunch or something?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
I'm in Mira Mesa! (Middle of the geographical boundaries of the city of SD). Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend, could do an outdoor/picnic meetup with ARebelSpy somewhere with a view. Balboa, a beach, Mission Bay, etc. Any takers?

aloha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »
I'd be interested in getting together this weekend.

And welcome to SD, malacca! I'm a recent transplant, myself (we're in Encinitas).

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
ARebelSpy, do you know what neighborhood you're going to be in this weekend?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
ARebelSpy, do you know what neighborhood you're going to be in this weekend?

Next to the airport.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »
I am game.

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »
Harbor Island is right across the street, there is a 30% chance of rain this weekend, temperature supposed to be in the 60s. Picnic at the park seems most frugal, but considering the rain, Liberty Station (shops/restaurants, including Stone Brewery, Sammy's woodfire grill, etc.) is right next to the airport too. Little Italy with various pubs/restaurants (Princess Pub, Waterfront etc.) is nearby as well. What do potential attendees think about a possible location? Saturday or Sunday?

Jazzpolice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »
Well this was not a great weekend for a get together (outdoors at least)with all the rain.  And they say "it never rains in Southern California…"  Malacca --welcome to SD!  Hope you grow to love this place like the rest of us who live here and although it's not the most mustachian place, there's ways around it

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:54 PM »
My apologies to whatever forum member emailed me their phone number to call for a meetup (don't know their username, since they sent an email and not PM).  I ended up having approximately no time whatsoever (Friday night, or rather Saturday morning, I didn't get to bed until 4:15am.  Up at 8:45am.  The next day wasn't in bed until 5:45am, up at 9:00am).  Needless to say, an exhausting, but fun, weekend.  Hope I can catch some of you next time I'm down in the area.  :)

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »
Well this was not a great weekend for a get together (outdoors at least)with all the rain.  And they say "it never rains in Southern California…"  Malacca --welcome to SD!  Hope you grow to love this place like the rest of us who live here and although it's not the most mustachian place, there's ways around it

Thanks for the welcome!

So far so good.

1) People. The people here are great. I moved from Minnesota where people are generally very nice - pretty much the same here. Two of my neighbors came over and gave us welcoming Christmas presents. One couple bought gifts for my kids. Amazing.

2) Transport. The freeways seem so easy to drive on. Not sure what it is, but I almost fall asleep. Keep in mind I am at FI so I don't commute to a day job during rush hour.

3) Observation: The more Eastwardly you go the more motorized vehicles (working or not) per resident.

4) The weather. Nuff said.

5) Housing.  I have a background in real estate (not as an agent, thank god). Inland land costs are not that high - but housing costs still high. And there are very few rebuilds. Lot's of 500K+ shacks that should be torn down. After a round of golf with a property developer my suspicions were confirmed: There is about a 200K "tax" per property for various fees and requirements by the state, county and cities. Somehow they made a 100K lot with a 200K house cost 550K - or more.

So in essence there is a 200K tax to live in SD.

Is it worth it? For me definitely. I am at FI so I don't have a day job and spend my days outdoors - golfing, hiking, etc.

OK, I have reached FI and have enough cash - so 200K isn't that painful.

6) Food. Lot's of great ethnic restaurants. More towards the ocean. In some areas hard to "eat American". After 20+ years abroad, I am into a variety. Happy. Prices low compared to previous place.

7) Zoo and SeaWorld. We bought memberships. Great value. keep in mind we have kids and we don't have day jobs so we can go often.

8) Beaches. Golden and free. Nuff said.

9) Prices. Hmm.... Housing is definitely more expensive. Gas is 10 to 20% over other states. Near my AZ house gas is $1.63 at Costco. Haven't seen any utility bills yet. Hair cuts cheaper. Food cheaper. Target really sucks here - vs just sucking in MN. My guess is that everything is 10 to 20% more.

10) Jobs. I have had one offer without soliciting for one. I am looking towards the tech / start up sector. Although I am FI, I need something to do. I spent the last 8 years having and educating my kids. I have too much free time.

11) Budget. OK, what I am about to say may not come across well with the MM crowd. Keep in mind I am at the point most of you hope to be.  My monthly budget is 4K. Enough to eat out a lot - join zoo & SeaWorld.

So far, so happy.

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
Glad you are enjoying yourself here, Malacca! I have been here four years now, east coast transplant. I think the zoo membership is one of the best deals here. And just walking around Balboa park is such a pleasure, and free! And a couple of the museums are free on Tuesdays, in case you didn't know. You can check their website to see which on which Tuesday. :-) Also, if you join San Diego Public Library, they have circulating memberships.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
Count me in.... I'm in SD too.

Hey San Diego people,

I am headed out your way in March, and I am wondering if any of you have suggestions on where I could rent a few bikes for a week, or have some yourselves you can rent  me.  Definitely willing to give a large cash deposit and pay your whatever you need to feel comfortable with loaning them out. Looking for something low end to middle of the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Dan

Where are you staying? Downtown SD recently put in bike rental machines all over. Honestly, it's more cost effective to use the trolley if you're traveling a lot - both are the same price but the trolley is all day and the bike is only 30 minutes.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
Anybody up for an East County meet up? Or anywhere in SD?

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:23 PM »
Anyone out there?

ljsurfer2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
San Diego is awesome. Glad to see several MMM-ers here! I'm near balboa park as well.

Sivat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Wahooooooo!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
They exist because the "tax" to bulldoze and build new is stupidly high (200K).

Any idea what this 'tax' is called? I've done a couple quick google searches and didn't turn anything up.

katasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
Oceanside representing!!

vince1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Hey all - I'm in Kensington - glad to see so many San Diegans here.

AlphaMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
Hello!  I'm in North Park.

ljsurfer2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 10:33:07 PM »
Perhaps an early December North Park / 30th street beer meetup? Modern Times "Flavordome" has an entire bike coral right outside (holds 16+ bikes) and the owners support biking and make a great product for low price.

Perhaps mid-day Sunday the 13th of December 2015 ?

xdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If not for Pete I'd still be in a cubicle
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
http://moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room/north-park
Looks like they open at noon on Sunday and Sacha has to leave after 2....

Meetup at 12:30 ?

Hopefully I won't be there all by myself, but at least I'll have tasty beer for company

Dan

xdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If not for Pete I'd still be in a cubicle
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »
I probably would have it enjoyed it more if I wasn't the only one there.
At least the beer was good.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
Well, I am back!

I have tried to form a meet up but never had any luck.

Let's get something rolling here. I am East County but can travel.

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
Just saw this separate San Diego thread.  We should do a meetup where people actually show up =)  Maybe in the new year.

Jazzpolice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »
Deal!  2016 meetup will happen...

filmguysd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:57 AM »
New to the area. Would love to meet other MMM people. Assuming work allows, I'm down for a 2016 meetup for sure!

GingerMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 11:45:02 PM »
Revival! Did the 2016 meetup ever happen? I'm interested in a 2017. Who's in?

ribby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »
We have a new(ish) Meetup group.  Please join us! https://www.meetup.com/San-Diego-Mustachians/events/240277526/

aak7v7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
When is the next meetup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk