Author Topic: Salt Lake City, Utah  (Read 58976 times)

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Salt Lake City, Utah
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
Glad to hear there may be some new faces! The regulars range from those who are just starting to those who are just about to retire. Filling out the doodle will help us plan the meetups, it sounds like the 19th is a go, should we settle on a location?

For topics, how about weatherizing a house and cutting back on utility bills?

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
I'm in for the 19th. The weatherization and utility topic is right up my alley. Been doing that with the new house for the past two months anyway. I've got some good charts to share that will be real applicable, especially for the newer folks. I'm good with the Barnes and Noble, and I'm also happy to offer up my place again if people prefer that option. Just remember I moved out to Daybreak since our last meeting, which may not be as convenient for everyone.

leahd88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »
I can't make the 19th but will keep an eye out for the next gathering in Salt Lake.  I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
Also, did a time get nailed down? The noon slot works better for me.

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
I think noon would be the best as well. I'm not sure how long this weather is going to last, but if next weekend is like this week, a park would be a great option.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
Weather prediction next Thurs is rain and a low of 30. I'm up for foundapennys house, daybreak is a cool area in general, probably parks nearby if it turns out to be good weather. Noon is good for me as well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:04:57 PM by olob »

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
Alright it's cold, I'm nominating foundapenny's house. Should we plan on a potluck again?

Alex239

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
Also! I don't know how far foundapenny lives from the end of the TRAX red line daybreak stop but it's an easy roundtrip and could be cheaper than gas if you live anywhere near the system stops already.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
I have to be up in Logan for a family thing around 4:30, so if noon to 2ish works for everyone then my place is available. My address is 11492 Open View Ln, South Jordan. Alex, my house is a 15 minute walk from the end of the line stop. It's a nice walk (or at least has been!) that I've been taking almost every day since I moved out here.

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
That should work for me!

RobUpNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
Thanks for offering up your place man. i should be able to make it as well.

-Rob

Alex239

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
Bummer I'm working Green line till 3ish

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks again to Foundapenny for the very generous offer; I hope we don't wear this out!

I'm going to pay you back in a mustachian way : )

Moby32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2016, 08:02:43 PM »
Wish I could make it, hope to meet you all some day, but that is the same time as the Utes football game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2016, 08:05:01 PM »
I'd love for everyone to post when their ideal date and (general) time would be in a given month, so we can get max participation. I'll take lead on this little endeavor.

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
I'm planning to make some baked ziti vegetarian-friendly (but not vegan, sorry!) pasta. Do with that information what you wish.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
Wife emergency, won't be able to make it, sorry guys :(

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »
Hope everybody's OK. See you next time.

Capitalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2016, 12:39:51 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to make it yesterday.

Any good take-aways from yesterdays meetup?

Alex239

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
i would like to know also!

Sorry I wasn't able to make it yesterday.

Any good take-aways from yesterdays meetup?

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »
Firstly, thanks once again to Foundapenny for inviting us all to his home and sharing a lovely home cooked meal.

Here are a few notes:

Foundapenny spoke about increasing efficiency in his new (and beautiful) home via replacing the very old-school light bulbs, monitoring appliance draw with a digital meter, and discussed DIY insulation in the master suite. Rob also did his own insulation install in his new home, but with a different type. Rob held down yet again with his wit and good-natured banter.

M is expecting a baby boy in Feb (congrats!) and talked about how the preparation is effecting her purchasing habits, and how she ran the numbers on cloth vs. traditional diapers and is it really worth it?

I didn't have much to contribute myself. I'm realizing that my spend rate back here in the US is quite a bit higher than predicted, but that's not surprising given my fancy-pants lifestyle. OMY, or two, or three, for sure.

We also had a new face present, Goldilocks, and got a bit of insight into her introduction to MMM.

We missed out of a handful of you, but hopefully y'all can make the next one. And of course, if the mysterious and awesome EarlyFi is lurking, maybe she'll come around again : )

A majority of us were good with Saturday at noon for future meet ups, but since we missed at least four of you, I'm going to create another Doodle for the next one. Try to pick the most popular date if possible, for max participation. You can always go back and edit your choices up until the event.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
Re: new baby, we have 2 walkers and a graco rocking swing that is battery powered. We're trying to clear out stuff we don't use anymore, let me know if you want any of it. My vote is disposable diapers, you are going to be very very very tired, convenience is nice.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:44:23 PM by olob »

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »
I talked a little bit about Pete The Planner's Million Dollar Plan podcast. Something we didn't get into but that I would like to talk about at the next meeting is the concept of a "power percentage," or the percentage of your money going toward building wealth or reducing debt. Here's a link to Pete's episode on  this topic: http://media.blubrry.com/askptp/p/content.blubrry.com/askptp/Episode_120_Power_Percentage_mixdown.mp3. Our power percentage right now is 31%, and I think we're going to be around 37% in the new year. I'd be curious to hear where everyone else sits and how that has changed over the years or how you expect it to change over the next few.

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Something else we talked about was health savings accounts. I remember someone mentioning one where they will match half your premium and deposit it in the account. Could someone post a link with more info on that? Thanks!

bonkers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
I just joined the forum and sadly I see that I barely missed the last get together. Would love to know when ya'll plan another one!

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2016, 08:51:33 AM »
Welcome, Bonkers. Maybe we'll shoot for late January or sometime in February for the next one.

Goldilocks, I think the HSA benefits in question might have been due to the way the employer structured the plan. I think they only offered the HSA, but they sweetened the pot with those added things so people wouldn't be upset about that being the only option.

Vaulter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
Hi all, we're up in Ogden. Just finished reading every MMM post and moved on to the forums... looks like I should have started reading here sooner. We hope to make it to the next meetup, though we will probably be visiting family in late January, so it will depend on the date.

RobUpNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
So I'm doing ok on my new years resolutions so far. To start, my 1st resolution is "tone down the snark", so I renamed my account from "Look I Made an Account" to this. My 2nd resolution is stop "putting quotes around everything I say" and I'm working on that one....

So now that's out of the way.  Welcome Bonkers and Vaulter! I live in Clearfield now so practically around the corner from Ogden!

Goldilocks: I believe it was me that mentioned my high deductible health plan pays half of my premiums back into my HSA monthly. It's a plan specific thing, I've had some employers pay in a lump sum yearly, I've had some employers match 50% of my contributions every paycheck and now my current one that refunds some of my premiums. here is the link the Aetna: http://www.aetnafeds.com/hdhp.php but it's only valid if you work for my same employer (Uncle Sam). The great thing is I get to keep the money and roll it from employer to employer!

Foundapenny: Thanks for turning me on to the Million Dollar Plan podcast, I'm enjoying it. I'll follow up later with my power percentage, I need to get around to finishing my end of year spreadsheets.     

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »
I dunno Rob, the snark is part of why I got to these meetups in the first place! Don't tone down too much :- D

How did everyone do for the year? Personal Capital says I went up 9.35%. I'll take it!

leahd88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
Welcome, Bonkers. Maybe we'll shoot for late January or sometime in February for the next one.

Goldilocks, I think the HSA benefits in question might have been due to the way the employer structured the plan. I think they only offered the HSA, but they sweetened the pot with those added things so people wouldn't be upset about that being the only option.

Hi again everyone!  I'm sorry I missed the last get together - and meeting all of you!  Hopefully there will be another one soon enough.

I actually work in the benefits industry and would be happy to extrapolate on all things HSA if anyone has questions.  They are my favorite topic I get to discuss at work and I'm happy to share my knowledge.  I love HSAs. :)

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
I think it's time to start planning another meeting. I'm happy to host again, but would totally understand if people are sick of coming to my place. I think the first and second weekends in February are good for me. I'm not good for the weekend of Feb. 18th.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
Agreed, how about Saturday 2/4? Your place is fine by me, esp as I haven't seen it yet :)

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »
I'd come to a meet up at the Foundapenny Pad any time!

Also, I'd vote for the second Saturday, the 11th, because I have immediate family visiting the previous week.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
2/11 works for me

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
Hopefully some others will chime in here. The 11th is good for me, as well. It would be great to get some more confirmed and start talking about topics we might want to cover. Too bad we can't mass tag people in this forum. We'd probably have to send a message to them individually.

RobUpNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
2/11 works for me!

Just spit balling some possible discussion topics off the top off the o'l head:

1. Why do men have nipples?
2. Where do babies come from?
3. Why doesn't Ant Man's punches puncture skin? Same strength, small fist surface area. PSI's! why doesn't that just poke holes in people!?!?
4. Power Percentages
5. What you do for fun/hobbies on a budget
6. Eating good food (not really a discussion topic, but merits mention)

Looking forward to another meetup!

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
I'm going to officially call Feb. 11 the day then. Do we want to do an afternoon one again, like 2 p.m. or something? Or shoot for a lunchtime, like noon? The nighttime ones seem to be better in the summer when we can hang out outside, or at least I thought the ones we've done like that were great.

As far as Rob's topic ideas:

1. I think we all know the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHCYEe5iUsc
2. When two people love each other very much, one day a stork comes by and screws it all up.
3. Read your Bible. It's in there. If it's not in there, it's probably witchcraft and you don't want to be involved in witchcraft. Or foosball. It's the devil.
4. I'm totally down to talk about power percentages. In that case, can people go listen to the Pete The Planner podcast I linked to earlier in the thread and come prepared to discuss?
5. Good topic.
6. I'm sure we could both eat good food and discuss eating good food less expensively.

I'll throw out that I'd like to talk about where my wife and I should look to invest our non-tax-advantaged funds. We're maxing out a 401k and two IRAs and will be putting more away in the next few months. I want to ask everyone about the options for what to do with that money and the pros and cons of each. Brad, I want to hear about rental properties.

olob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
I dig the what to do with investing money topic, I am pondering the same question right now. I feel very bearish on the markets right now, but then I'm pretty conservative and risk averse.

Early afternoon is good for me. Pot luck again?

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »
I'll listen to that podcast for sure. http://petetheplanner.com/ep-120-power-percentage/ . Good idea.

Potluck sounds good... I'll bring my favorite low cost yet nutrient dense and delicious soup (and extra bowls/spoons).

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »
I like the potluck idea. I can cover you on the bowls and spoons. My address is 11492 Open View Ln., South Jordan, for anyone who didn't come to the last one. Let's say 2 p.m. Feel free to bring adult beverages or whatever else to drink if you want anything other than water. I'm going to try to direct message some of the new folks who expressed an interest.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2017, 08:32:26 AM »
I'm sad I never saw this thread before! I'm in if I can get off work!

Capitalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
2/11 works for me. I really appreciate the private message as I am not getting email updates on the thread even though I am susbscribed to it. Perhaps someone knows how to fix it if possible?

Not sure what my personal capital return for last year was but my 401k had 11% for the year.. This does not include 20% cash position in IRA that I have been waiting to invest for too long so really the total return is closer to 8% as well.

mooshie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
Thanks for the private message. I'll check with DH and see if we can make it. How long do these gatherings usually go?

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »
I'd say they average about two hours, but feel free to adjust fire if need be.

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2017, 01:43:05 AM »
Wow thanks for the message. I wasn't getting notifications either. The 11th should work for me! I'm looking forward to spending time with people who don't make fun of my hobby of reading financial blogs. 😊

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »
I'm glad (?) to hear that I'm not the only one who isn't getting consistent alerts when this thread goes active again. Looks like the personal message route is the way to go!

JerBlue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
Hi, I'm fairly new. I joined the blog/forum last year, however just found this thread. I live in the West Jordan area and would love to join and attend some local Mustachian meetup groups. It looks like there is a meetup this weekend on Saturday, 2/11. I'd be interested in attending. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:20:24 AM by Jer »

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
Welcome, Jer. Glad to have you join us! I'm sure you saw the details in the thread. We'll see you there.

Foundapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
I'll have a nacho bar here so everyone can just grab a plate and make their own nachos. Feel free to bring whatever you want (or nothing is fine, too!). Beer and wine, etc. are cool with me.

Capitalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
Sorry I am unable to make it. Have fun though!