Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435079 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »
Well is anyone free for breakfast / coffee on Saturday morning at food monkey in northbridge? (Lime - we've met there a few times, it has lots of space, decent coffee and the food is as reasonably priced as you can find in Perth. Plus it's walking distance from the train station, bus depot etc).

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
Do we have any takers for new years day? If not I will see about Saturday.... I told folks I would  probally spend all weekend with them, but maybe I can come see you guys and then go straight to theirs.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #502 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
@limeandpepper, I've been told that my car needs a 'longer run' every now and then to keep the engine happy (one of the issues with a frugal lifestyle-- car's not used???!) so maybe I can come up some time on the weekend or something.

YES! :D

As for the meet, at this stage Saturday looks better for us.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »
Saturday works for me

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #504 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
I should be good for Saturday too.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #505 on: December 31, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
We're a maybe :) we're going down south that day but might not leave until lunchtime.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: December 31, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »
Happy New Year to all my Perth buddies who I will meet in real life someday!!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
You too ninety four :-)
Call me a maybe for Saturday. What time?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #508 on: December 31, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
9 onwards?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: January 01, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
9 onwards is fine by me!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: January 01, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
9 onwards is fine by me!

Awesome! I'm assuming that you've met enough of us that you don't need a colour scheme, but if you want I'll post tomorrow morning with what I'm wearing? (Don't know yet what it'll be, so not posting it yet!).

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #511 on: January 02, 2015, 05:27:31 AM »
Yes I think I know enough people by now. :D  Though ummm, I probably need to add credit to my phone just in case of anything unexpected. The place is definitely open tomorrow, right?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #512 on: January 02, 2015, 04:40:08 PM »
We won't make it, found mold in a cupboard yesterday so I want to get everything out of it before we leave for half a week. I hope the bagels are tasty this morning!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: January 02, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »
Yes I think I know enough people by now. :D  Though ummm, I probably need to add credit to my phone just in case of anything unexpected. The place is definitely open tomorrow, right?

If it's not, there are heaps of other cafes within a few blocks :-) food monkey is open on Saturdays, so it would only be if they've shut down over Christmas. They don't appear to have a website to check.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
Nice to catch up with you all this morn,  limeandpepper (and partner)  happierathome, and missbee.

I am making pho soup base this afternoon I think! I wandered in to the fancy butchers on Lake st on the way to the train and they sold me very meaty shin bones at a very (surprisingly competitive) price. It was Torre Butchers.  $5 for a bit over 3kg. Slow cooker mustachian meal coming right up! I am ridiculously excited.

Anatidaev sorry to hear about the mould.  Sucks when things like that happen. I have found clove oil works wekk to prevent it coming back in cupboards and bathrooms if that helps.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: January 03, 2015, 03:23:34 AM »
Nice to see you all again! Hope to catch you next time, anatidaev and Melody.

Well done on scoring those bones stripey, the pho will be so delicious!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Board games and pot luck dinner

I'll be hosting a board games night on Saturday the 31st January, from 6pm at my place.

Any MMMers who I have previously met at least once would be very welcome to come and to bring their partners (sorry to anyone I haven't met yet - just, y'know, strangers from the internets and all that). You'll need to PM or text me for the address, but it's in a central spot close to public transport and with loads of street parking. My place can be set up for two separate gaming groups of a reasonable size, so I don't think there'll be any issue with capacity.

For those who aren't familiar with pot luck, the idea is that everybody brings something to share and you have a sort of picnicky/random assortment of tasty dishes to choose from. I'm planning to make one vegetarian dish and one meat dish. I will probably also make some kind of delicious cocktail, or if I'm feeling lazy just chuck some wine in the fridge. The only restriction is that the BF is allergic enough to peanuts that he will go into anaphylactic shock just from being near them - not even eating them - so please don't bring anything containing peanuts or peanut oil :-)

I have a decent range of board games including traditional offerings (monopoly etc) and some of the 'new classics' (settlers of catan, dominion, the resistance), but please bring anything that you particularly want to play. 

Let me know if I've missed any crucial info!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #517 on: January 06, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
Sounds like great fun!  Too bad I will be on the other side of the planet!  And, of course, I haven't met you yet IRL--must check that off the list at some point!  And you are making a vegetarian dish, too!  I will get to one of these meetups one day!!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: January 06, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
Hey, sounds good, my bestie might be in town that weekend tho so will have to confirm closer to the date. Missed you all on Saturday but it was good to see the parents. I got tonnes of my mending done so I was being very mmm too but in a different way

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: January 06, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
Sounds like great fun!  Too bad I will be on the other side of the planet!  And, of course, I haven't met you yet IRL--must check that off the list at some point!  And you are making a vegetarian dish, too!  I will get to one of these meetups one day!!

When you come to Perth I may have to rethink my rule...

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »
I would have loved to come but have something else on :(

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2015, 06:01:12 AM »

When you come to Perth I may have to rethink my rule...

Yay!!  :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Board games and pot luck dinner

I'll be hosting a board games night on Saturday the 31st January, from 6pm at my place.

Any MMMers who I have previously met at least once would be very welcome to come and to bring their partners (sorry to anyone I haven't met yet - just, y'know, strangers from the internets and all that). You'll need to PM or text me for the address, but it's in a central spot close to public transport and with loads of street parking. My place can be set up for two separate gaming groups of a reasonable size, so I don't think there'll be any issue with capacity.

For those who aren't familiar with pot luck, the idea is that everybody brings something to share and you have a sort of picnicky/random assortment of tasty dishes to choose from. I'm planning to make one vegetarian dish and one meat dish. I will probably also make some kind of delicious cocktail, or if I'm feeling lazy just chuck some wine in the fridge. The only restriction is that the BF is allergic enough to peanuts that he will go into anaphylactic shock just from being near them - not even eating them - so please don't bring anything containing peanuts or peanut oil :-)

I have a decent range of board games including traditional offerings (monopoly etc) and some of the 'new classics' (settlers of catan, dominion, the resistance), but please bring anything that you particularly want to play. 

Let me know if I've missed any crucial info!

I'm about to PM Stripey, Anatidaev and Limeandpepper to confirm my address etc for board games night. Anyone else who's keen, now's the time to PM me and let me know :-)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
I am keen (I think that is the first time I have ever typed that!), as you know, but I will hopefully be visiting my 92 year old friend that evening.  Otherwise, I might look at prices for a flight from Colorado to Perth!  ;-)  Hope you all have lots of fun!!

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
Have fun! I'm going to a luau tonight.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #525 on: January 31, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »
Um, what's that??? That's a lot of nouns in that term, so I assume it's origin isn't English. (Maybe I can use it as a Scrabble word in future??)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #526 on: January 31, 2015, 02:53:58 AM »
vowels not nouns

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #527 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »
Thanks for the great meet, everyone! I enjoyed all the delicious food (ate so well with all those curry puffs, pumpkin feta tarts, and salads) and the assortment of fun games. Also saw anatidaev's ring in person for the first time and it is beautiful. Would love to do this again!

Some of you were intrigued by the agar-agar jelly recipe so here it is.

Jasmine green tea and lychee jelly (vegan)

1 7g/10g sachet plain agar agar powder*
1 x 560g can lychees in syrup
625ml water
2 x jasmine green tea bags
sugar / maple syrup / rice syrup to taste (I don't have a sweet tooth so mine had only about 1.5 tablespoons of maple syrup)

Place agar agar powder and water in a saucepan, bring to simmer over low heat, stirring frequently until powder is all dissolved, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. The liquid will appear a little thick and cloudy.
Remove saucepan from heat, add two jasmine green tea bags and steep for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring every now and then. Remove tea bags, squeezing as much of their retained liquid back into the saucepan as you do so.
Add the whole can of lychees, including syrup, into the mixture and stir several times to make sure everything is well-mixed. Add more sweetener of your choice, to your liking. Stir again.
Pour the mixture into jelly moulds. Cover and place in the fridge until set. Remove from moulds, cut and serve.

1) The agar-agar powder I buy seems to come in 7g or 10g sachets. I think I used a 10g sachet this time, but I used a 7g sachet last time with about the same amount of liquid and there wasn't much difference in firmness/texture. Agar-agar tends to turn out quite firm, and I've tried adding up to 20% more liquid than suggested in packet instructions and still have jellies come out structurally sound, so feel free to experiment a little with the powder to liquid ratios.
2) As mentioned, I also use way less sugar (or other sweetener) than suggested in the packet instructions.
3) I chose an agar-agar powder with only agar-agar as the ingredient (no colours or flavourings, etc.).
4) Agar-agar sets easier and faster than gelatin, so it helps to 1) keep stirring, and 2) move quickly to pour your mixture into moulds before it cools down too much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:30:38 AM by limeandpepper »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »
Um, what's that??? That's a lot of nouns in that term, so I assume it's origin isn't English. (Maybe I can use it as a Scrabble word in future??)
Traditional Hawaiian party. Not unlike a Maori hangi, lots of roast pig, although I understand a luau involves more pineapple and frangi pani :)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: February 01, 2015, 01:22:03 AM »
vowels not nouns
Whoops, obviously must be a lot more absent minded than I thought last night!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: February 09, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Soooo who's up for the next meetup?

I'd be keen to organise another central one (breakfast in the city, or we could rediscover our roots and head back to San Churros in Subi for an afternoon cuppa and chocolatey goodness?), and along with that I'd be happy to host another board games night at some point if enough peeps are interested.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: February 11, 2015, 01:33:31 AM »
As long as it doesn't clash with anything, I'm up for it!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #532 on: February 11, 2015, 02:31:41 AM »
I'd love a cold hot chocolate from there. Mmmm. However I'm not allowed to commit to anything right now (been filling up weekends too much) so organise it and I'll try to come

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #533 on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:41 AM »
An afternoon cuppa sounds good

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #534 on: February 11, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »
I am trying to credential the next month or so, so I have a butt-tonne of work to do. Probably not going to attend anything till March.

Yellyfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #535 on: February 11, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
Hello fellow Perth Mustachians,

I'm fairly new to the forum but have been reading the blog for a little while now so thought I'd put myself out there finally and meet some new people who don't completely prescribe to the "Perth way of thinking".

I am 32, female and dream of having the freedom to travel, take photographs and rock climbing wherever and whenever I want! I would love to come along to a meet up and say hi and exchange awesome tips and tricks that you all may have, as I would love to break free of the traditional life mould.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! :D

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #536 on: February 11, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
Yay, welcome Yellyfish!

I am busy until march and then free every weekend. I could manage an after work catch up at San Churros in Leederville or north bridge after next week.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
Does the San Churros in Northbridge have plenty of room? The Leederville one is, in my opinion, far too poky for us to fit into.

But a chocolate date after work in the week starting 23/2 (week after next) sounds good to me.

Hello fellow Perth Mustachians,

I'm fairly new to the forum but have been reading the blog for a little while now so thought I'd put myself out there finally and meet some new people who don't completely prescribe to the "Perth way of thinking".

I am 32, female and dream of having the freedom to travel, take photographs and rock climbing wherever and whenever I want! I would love to come along to a meet up and say hi and exchange awesome tips and tricks that you all may have, as I would love to break free of the traditional life mould.

Should I be pretending I don't already know you? :-P

Yellyfish is my mustachian coworker! Woo!

Yellyfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2015, 05:55:54 AM »
The cat's out of the bag now HappierAtHome!!! Lol!

I'm cool with an afterwork hot chocolate in a few weeks time :D

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »

Sounds like we may have lots in common! I look forward to meeting you, too! :D

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
Great! I should be good every day except Friday. Earlier in the week would be better :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
San churros in Northbridge (132 James Street), Wednesday 25 February, 5pm onwards?

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: February 12, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Sounds good!

Yellyfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #543 on: February 15, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »
Awesome, I'm down for that and looking forward to meeting you all :D
I hope everyone got to enjoy the Giants this past weekend too. I rediscovered my childhood fear of marionette puppets unfortunately, but was still pretty cool to have an event like this come to little ol' Perth!

'Stache on y'all.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: February 15, 2015, 01:38:51 AM »
I loved the Giants! I was always a fan of marionettes, and had my own marionette animal puppets when I was a child. So the event was a really cool experience for me.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #545 on: February 15, 2015, 01:52:30 AM »
They were fucking brilliant. What an experience.

And the crowds were so well behaved! At least everywhere I was, people were polite and lovely.

BurquenaAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #546 on: February 24, 2015, 01:41:07 AM »
It's been a while, but I will try to make it to this meet up. :)

Yellyfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #547 on: February 24, 2015, 06:19:20 AM »
Yes, looking forward to it everyone :D

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #548 on: February 24, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
I will be there about 5:30 ish!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »
I'm here! Chilling out inside. Hope some of you turn up soon :-)