Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435071 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
I got home just fine and dandy :) thanks all for a pleasant evening.
fun fact: the blue cat stops running to the barrack street jetty after 7.15pm... So I walked up to the museum.

I'm glad you got home safely :-) sorry for being a grandma about personal safety!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »
Glad you got home safe! We did too :)

D enjoyed himself a lot. The food was very nice and the company was great.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
It was lovely to meet everyone! I'm glad that I know at least a few like-minded people in Perth now. :)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:27 AM »
Oh and I forgot to mention that we are hosting a car boot sale as a fundraiser for the soup kitchen (it's tomorrow so short notice) but it's only $5 for a spot so if you're looking to get rid of some excess stuff let me know. Its at 111 Stirling street Northbridge.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:18 AM »
Oh and I forgot to mention that we are hosting a car boot sale as a fundraiser for the soup kitchen (it's tomorrow so short notice) but it's only $5 for a spot so if you're looking to get rid of some excess stuff let me know. Its at 111 Stirling street Northbridge.

Can't make it tomorrow, but I have loads of books and dvds to sell - do you have these regularly?

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:38 AM »
This is our first one ever. But if we do another one I'll make sure to give you more notice :)
Tomorrow, I'll be manning the Devonshire tea stall inside.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »
It was lovely to meet everyone! I'm glad that I know at least a few like-minded people in Perth now. :)

I hope you'll consider us your ready-made group of friends in Perth :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
For those who were interested in the library, I wasn't joking about arranging a tour! It's open until six on weeknights so we could meet up, visit the library, then go have a coffee/drink somewhere. I've taken a few people up there now to show them how to get into the place (surprisingly hard), where to pick up reservations, etc.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

For sure, I would like to catch up again! It's still a bit far away, but I should be available for the first few days of August, hint hint. ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »

For sure, I would like to catch up again! It's still a bit far away, but I should be available for the first few days of August, hint hint. ;)

Awesome! We'll have a few meetups between now and August, but if you post/PM your dates for August we'll definitely have another extra special limeandpepper meetup.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2014, 09:01:48 PM »
Sounds wonderful, and it means that I may be able to meet you, limeandpepper (was it you that wanted to have a squiz at some books of mine?)

Have we actually made a date/time/place for next meetup?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
For those who were interested in the library, I wasn't joking about arranging a tour! It's open until six on weeknights so we could meet up, visit the library, then go have a coffee/drink somewhere. I've taken a few people up there now to show them how to get into the place (surprisingly hard), where to pick up reservations, etc.

I'm in.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
Have we actually made a date/time/place for next meetup?

Not yet - I really liked the breakfast on a Saturday, if anyone's keen to repeat that! My weekends are fairly free for the next month or so, so others with more difficult schedules might want to suggest dates.

Falcon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
Hi! I found this site yesterday and can't tell you how excited I am to have found you. I retired 3 months ago at age 55 (in Falcon south of Perth) and have found most of the people I meet at golf etc are well over 65. It is great to see so many others who have ditched the 9-5 habit for a more fulfilling life. I would love to meet other Perthians at the next catch up.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
Hi! I found this site yesterday and can't tell you how excited I am to have found you. I retired 3 months ago at age 55 (in Falcon south of Perth) and have found most of the people I meet at golf etc are well over 65. It is great to see so many others who have ditched the 9-5 habit for a more fulfilling life. I would love to meet other Perthians at the next catch up.

Well sadly none of us are retired yet... we're all in the 'accumulation' phase, what with mostly being youngsters :-) it will be great to have you share your experiences of early retirement in Perth with us! We tend to arrange meetups fairly frequently (once a month or so).

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
Sounds wonderful, and it means that I may be able to meet you, limeandpepper (was it you that wanted to have a squiz at some books of mine?)

I believe so! As I recall you have a lovely collection of books dedicated to rustic, delicious pleasures. :D

Falcon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
Thanks for that I  look forward to meeting you all.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »

Well sadly none of us are retired yet... we're all in the 'accumulation' phase, what with mostly being youngsters :-) it will be great to have you share your experiences of early retirement in Perth with us! We tend to arrange meetups fairly frequently (once a month or so).

Please, come along! We do tend to meet in fairly central locations, though-- good for public transport. Hope this is not too much a pain for you.

Tel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »
Hey guys.

A fellow Perthian here, just thought I would check in and say hi.

I'm training my mustache, I've already made a lot of cuts and changes that I've learnt from Your Money or Your Life and MMM and these forums.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
Hey guys.

I'm training my mustache, I've already made a lot of cuts and changes that I've learnt from Your Money or Your Life and MMM and these forums.

Awesome! Would you be interested in joining us at a meetup sometime?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2014, 01:19:52 AM »
Hey guys.

Yay! Two more new friends in a single day! Although I notice the new website states we've been upgraded to "cult"... Yay, two new cult members? :P

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:39 AM »
Hey guys.

Yay! Two more new friends in a single day! Although I notice the new website states we've been upgraded to "cult"... Yay, two new cult members? :P

I refer to MMM as my cult, but only with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Real cults give you loads of free stuff at the start, then start charging you for attending meetings etc. So if MMM starts charging 'forum admin fees' or similar, that's when you need to watch out...

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:37 AM »
Okay, so here's a list- I like lists!

1. Hooray for new people!

2. Tongue-in-cheek 'cult' is a good term, although 'religion' is possibly more accurate. A good definition of a 'cult' is that a cult has very strict, prescribed set of beliefs that must be adhered to and where personal intellectual struggle, exploration, dialogue, etc is not tolerated (Christianity and Islam are both considered 'religions' rather than 'cults' because in both of those belief sets a great deal of variation in philosophy, dialogue and debate occurs). I think MMM veers more towards a 'functional religion' than anything. Can anyone tell I'm a bit of a philosophy nerd? ;)

3. New side-gig for a family member is webstore stocking beard and mustache grooming supplies.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
Limeandpepper - it was lovely to meet you and mr limeandpepper :-) We're all here for you when you're done having adventures and want some Perth friends.
Happier - library tour sounds rad, but I'm nearly off on my trip so probably won't see you guys until I get back.
Falcon and Tel - welcome, hope to see you at a Meet Up sometime. Also Falcon, congratulations on retiring early in a beautiful part of Perth :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »

I'm in.

Awesome, I'll PM you and arrange a time :-) if anyone else decides they want a library tour, let me know!

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Limeandpepper - it was lovely to meet you and mr limeandpepper :-) We're all here for you when you're done having adventures and want some Perth friends.
Happier - library tour sounds rad, but I'm nearly off on my trip so probably won't see you guys until I get back.
Falcon and Tel - welcome, hope to see you at a Meet Up sometime. Also Falcon, congratulations on retiring early in a beautiful part of Perth :-)

So, out of curiosity, when you all are talking to each other IRL, do you still refer to each other by your forum usernames, or do you use real names and just try to keep it straight in your head?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »

So, out of curiosity, when you all are talking to each other IRL, do you still refer to each other by your forum usernames, or do you use real names and just try to keep it straight in your head?

Most people, I use their real name, though one person I still seem to use her username (hi Melody!!). I also use real names when I PM people.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
Okay, next meetup:

How about Saturday the 17th or Saturday the 24th of May? (Organising well in advance so that we can work around everyone's schedules!).

I'd be keen for another breakfast at shots on lake, given that it's fairly central for those who use public transport, people can just buy coffee if they're being frugal, and we can take over more than one table if there are heaps of us.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm currently available both of those dates and would love to go back to shots.  Really enjoyed the food.

Okay, next meetup:

How about Saturday the 17th or Saturday the 24th of May? (Organising well in advance so that we can work around everyone's schedules!).

I'd be keen for another breakfast at shots on lake, given that it's fairly central for those who use public transport, people can just buy coffee if they're being frugal, and we can take over more than one table if there are heaps of us.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
But my boyfriend (sometimes) and a whole bunch of my friends also call me Melody, so it's legit :-P
I'll be in America, but will see you all when I get back.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »
But my boyfriend (sometimes) and a whole bunch of my friends also call me Melody, so it's legit :-P

How did you get the name Melody? My real name isn't Kaetana, but it was my main character's name on World of Warcraft, and when I met some guildies IRL, hundreds of hours of raiding and calling me by that name made it kind of stick, and they still call me Kaet even though they now know my real name. :) /geek

I'm jealous of you girls in Perth meeting up all the time! Maybe someday I'll finangle a work trip over there.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:42 PM »
Okay, next meetup:

These dates are both still free for me, but my weekends are filling up fairly fast and I know that some of you are busier than I am, so I'm giving this a bump in the hopes that more of you will chime in and we can lock in a date :-)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
Bump noted :)

This stage 24th is better for me, as the weekend of the 17th I am on call-- I should still be able to come along, but there is a chance that I will run away/not turn up at all... and I will need to drive in.

My $0.02, but go what works for everyone else ;)

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2014, 05:13:50 AM »
24th is better for me, unfortunately won't be able to do 17th.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
I'll put in my vote for the 24th as well, then.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »

How did you get the name Melody? My real name isn't Kaetana, but it was my main character's name on World of Warcraft, and when I met some guildies IRL, hundreds of hours of raiding and calling me by that name made it kind of stick, and they still call me Kaet even though they now know my real name. :) /geek

I'm jealous of you girls in Perth meeting up all the time! Maybe someday I'll finangle a work trip over there.

Or maybe I'll have some spare time to catch up when stopping over in Melbourne sometime, who knows! :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

Sort of similar, I play roller derby and it's the 1st part of my roller derby name... so heaps of people call me Melody (including my boyfriend)... it's from Josie and the Pussycats... I'm not blonde but I am a tad ditzy ;-)

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
Looks like I won't be able to make it on the morning of the 24th anymore! :(

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #288 on: May 08, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
Boo Moestache! But look on the bright side, we have such regular meetups sooner or later we'll have one you can get to.
Both days are fine for me, so... I'll assume its gonna be breakfast at Shots on 24th?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: May 08, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
I'll assume its gonna be breakfast at Shots on 24th?

That looks like it works for the majority of people.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
Works for me too at the moment! *subject to last minute change, as usual. Argh, my life at the moment.

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:07 AM »
Hi there,

Another Perthite (sort of) here.  Would love to join a catch up if there are ever any afternoon or evening gigs.  Breakfast is too early for me to come from Mandurah but afternoons would be great.

Cheers
Natasha (aka The Hamster)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2014, 07:07:42 AM »
Cool! The more the merrier. The gang has met up for dinner once before, I think. I wasn't there.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Cool! The more the merrier. The gang has met up for dinner once before, I think. I wasn't there.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
So: shall we lock in shots for breakfast on Saturday the 24th, maybe from 8am again as that suited a lot of people last time?

And also...

Another Perthite (sort of) here.  Would love to join a catch up if there are ever any afternoon or evening gigs.  Breakfast is too early for me to come from Mandurah but afternoons would be great.

Try to arrange an afternoon or evening date in June for those who can't make morning meetups?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
I won't be heading to shots this morning; too many last night and I'm not good for anything today.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
I'm just about to leave the house - is anyone else still going? :/

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »
I am! And I decided to bring my bike on the train, which required more planning than I thought, so I'll be there in 15 or so.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
I will probably be there in 20 :)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: May 23, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
I'm here!