Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435130 times)

coin

• Stubble
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #1200 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
That's a shame, hope you feel better soon, Happier!

I will ride my bike over there and will try to be there around 5. :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »
I just checked the website for Belasyse, looking for the menu, and apparently they've closed down? I'll update when I get there but we might have to change locations.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:41:02 AM by Anatidae V »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »
Yup, Belasyse is closed! I'll pick somewhere after someone else turns up. I'm in a black backpack and a red/orange top.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2016, 02:20:43 AM »
Wish I was with you guys :-) but I made the right call.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1204 on: December 15, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »
So on Sunday I need to bring:
AV's water bottle
Crea clip to show Ms Terror and possibly others

Anything else I've forgotten?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1205 on: December 16, 2016, 12:10:10 AM »
Ahah! I had been wondering where the bottle was, completely forgot!

Pictures of your garden?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: December 16, 2016, 12:13:52 AM »
Ahah! I had been wondering where the bottle was, completely forgot!

Pictures of your garden?

It was months and months ago now that you left it at my house!

My garden isn't actually very exciting to look at :-P I've failed to grow many / any summer flowers.

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #1207 on: December 16, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »
Yay crea clip!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1208 on: December 16, 2016, 12:46:04 AM »
If I bring a print out of my baby-stuff list, can I get advice on it?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1209 on: December 16, 2016, 12:57:26 AM »
Yes, but I may not know any more than you do! I should really look up the list in Baby Love, I vaguely remember (from reading it years and years ago) that its list was practical and not over-the-top like most of the ones that come up if you search online.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1210 on: December 16, 2016, 01:02:24 AM »
Yes, but I may not know any more than you do! I should really look up the list in Baby Love, I vaguely remember (from reading it years and years ago) that its list was practical and not over-the-top like most of the ones that come up if you search online.
That would be great! I might post my word doc on my journal...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: December 17, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
Nnls and I are here! We have a table :-)

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #1212 on: December 17, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
I was using the wrong clock this morning so I missed the train, will be there around ten :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1213 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
Who fancies a crafternoon at my place? I have great air con ;-)

As per usual, I'm only comfortable having peeps I've met before (though you could totally bring your BFF or sister or something), and I think the actual crafting should be optional.

Comment here if you're interested and want to weigh in on the dates, and once we've picked a date I'll PM my address to the interested parties:

Saturday 21 Jan
Sunday 22 Jan
Saturday 28 Jan (long weekend)
Sunday 29 Jan (long weekend)
Saturday 4 Feb
Sunday 5 Feb

Thanks to making zero plans while too ill to have fun, I now have a million dates free.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1214 on: January 02, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Being sick will do that to you. I will come, but need to check dates.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1215 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »
Being sick will do that to you. I will come, but need to check dates.

Indeed!

And now being well again coincides with some key friends being away from Perth for a few months AND a period where we have few/no family birthdays or other events, so my calendar is waaaay emptier than usual.

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #1216 on: January 02, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »
At this stage, I'm free for all those dates :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1217 on: January 02, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
I'm free all of those dates as well.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #1218 on: January 03, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
YES PLEASE THAT WOULD BE LOVELY.

Any of those except the long weekend, I'm going camping.

I'm still on a break from my medieval stuff, which brings with it a break from a neverending stream of craft projects. So no idea what to bring. I've recently picked up some sewing of everyday sort of clothes but it's hard to chat over the noise of a sewing machine. I'm sure I'll think of something.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1219 on: January 03, 2017, 12:41:03 AM »
I'm free all of those dates as well.

I feel better about my currently-pathetic social life now :-P

YES PLEASE THAT WOULD BE LOVELY.

Any of those except the long weekend, I'm going camping.

I'm still on a break from my medieval stuff, which brings with it a break from a neverending stream of craft projects. So no idea what to bring. I've recently picked up some sewing of everyday sort of clothes but it's hard to chat over the noise of a sewing machine. I'm sure I'll think of something.

Yesss I haven't seen you in ages!

It's stitch and/or bitch, so you don't HAVE to work on anything ;-) as long as you're willing to gossip.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1220 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:42 AM »
Bummer, I'm leaving Perth for good! (Sydney, in case you're wondering) and will likely to have left Perth (or about to leave) by all of those dates. ;(

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1221 on: January 03, 2017, 01:53:44 AM »
Who fancies a crafternoon at my place? I have great air con ;-)

As per usual, I'm only comfortable having peeps I've met before (though you could totally bring your BFF or sister or something), and I think the actual crafting should be optional.

Comment here if you're interested and want to weigh in on the dates, and once we've picked a date I'll PM my address to the interested parties:

Saturday 21 Jan
Sunday 22 Jan
Saturday 28 Jan (long weekend)
Sunday 29 Jan (long weekend)
Saturday 4 Feb
Sunday 5 Feb

Thanks to making zero plans while too ill to have fun, I now have a million dates free.

I cant make any of those dates, see you all next time :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1222 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
Bummer, I'm leaving Perth for good! (Sydney, in case you're wondering) and will likely to have left Perth (or about to leave) by all of those dates. ;(

Whoa congrats! If you fancy a catch up before you leave, tell us when you're available and I'm sure at least a few of us old timers will be free to wish you well :-)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1223 on: January 04, 2017, 04:07:37 AM »
Yeah sorry about the surprise, I don't have a journal to announce these things on (I just dont' feel that I need one!)
Possibly coffee in the evening in town could work on Mondays or Tuesdays- I'll have a look at my schedule

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1224 on: January 08, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Hey Perth Mustachians!

We're going to be in your town in about a month, mid-Feb.  Anyone available to meet up?

We're doing an RV (camper van) relocation from Melbourne to Perth from Feb 5 to Feb 11.  So we'll probably arrive in Perth late on the 10th or early on the 11th (which is a Saturday).

Would a meetup on either Saturday, February 11th or Sunday, February 12th work for anyone?  (Or--if you guys have a meetup right before that--something more casual for anyone free; we just enjoy hanging out with other Mustachians, even if just one or two.)

(For the below two items, to not clutter your meetup thread, please PM me or post in my travel thread, but posting here initially so Perth people see them.)

We would love suggestions on things to see/do in Perth while we're there.  Not sure how long we'll be there, or where we're staying (probably an AirBnB, possibly hotel), but we need to look into stuff, and a starting point would be great!  We literally just booked the RV relocation, and know nothing else.  :)

Also, we love playing games, so separate from an MMM meetup, if anyone else likes games and wants some people to play with and is willing to host us for a few hours, let me know!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #1225 on: January 08, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »
OH Hell Yes!!

That sounds a great excuse for a picnic in Kings Park on Sun 12th Feb. Possibly early dinner, when it's less hot? Or I can bring portable shade.

I also like games, but my house is probably further than most people want to travel.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1226 on: January 08, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »
My house is large, central (5km from the city centre), and available for lots of fun times on the 11th and/or 12th. We own quite a few board games, love playing them, love cooking for people, etc. Also, we LOVE babies.

The only rules of coming to my house are a) no peanut products, and b) no pointing out that it's very antimustachian :-P

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: January 08, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
While I'm on the thread:

Crafternoon at my house: shall we lock in Saturday 21 Jan? So far I'm counting AV, englyn, and Ms Terror. Anyone else, please post here or PM me :-) Bulbee is also going to be there (my friend who some of you have met at Meetups - she's lovely and mustachian but doesn't read the forum much).

I will send around a PM with deets.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #1228 on: January 08, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
Sat 21 Jan: yes please, before someone else books me for something. I may bring a partner.

I probably can't do 11 Feb, and anyway was thinking it's better to allow some wiggle room after crossing the entire country, in case of mishaps / exhaustion / finding somewhere really pretty and deciding they want to stay another night.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1229 on: January 08, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
OH Hell Yes!!

That sounds a great excuse for a picnic in Kings Park on Sun 12th Feb. Possibly early dinner, when it's less hot? Or I can bring portable shade.

I also like games, but my house is probably further than most people want to travel.

My house is large, central (5km from the city centre), and available for lots of fun times on the 11th and/or 12th. We own quite a few board games, love playing them, love cooking for people, etc. Also, we LOVE babies.

The only rules of coming to my house are a) no peanut products, and b) no pointing out that it's very antimustachian :-P

Yay!

I love both of these ideas.

I will be looking forward to a picnic (on the 12th?) and Happier's Anti-Peanut regime (on the 11th?) for the next month.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1230 on: January 08, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »
Sat 21 Jan: yes please, before someone else books me for something. I may bring a partner.

Awesome. Lock it in!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: January 08, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
OH Hell Yes!!

Yay!

I will be looking forward to a picnic (on the 12th?) and Happier's Anti-Peanut regime (on the 11th?) for the next month.  :D

Happier's Anti-Peanut Regime: that would make a good journal title.

So you're definitely happy to commit to the 11th? If yes I will also lock that in :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1232 on: January 08, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »

So you're definitely happy to commit to the 11th? If yes I will also lock that in :D

We have to deliver the RV by 2:30pm on the 11th.  So we may (probably will) be available earlier, but definitely the afternoon of the 11th at least.  :)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1233 on: January 08, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
OH Hell Yes!!

Yay!

I will be in Tasmania on both these dates :( hope you all have fun

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1234 on: January 08, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
I am all over all of it. I may have been sitting on my hands hoping H@H would offer her house! Much better than my place :) Wooh!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1235 on: January 08, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »

We have to deliver the RV by 2:30pm on the 11th.  So we may (probably will) be available earlier, but definitely the afternoon of the 11th at least.  :)

Great. So if we kicked off at 5pm on the 11th, would that be enough time for you guys to check in to your accommodation, have a nap if needed, etc beforehand? Or would you prefer a later start time?

I am all over all of it. I may have been sitting on my hands hoping H@H would offer her house! Much better more ridiculously large than my place :) Wooh!

Fixed it for you :-)

I will be in Tasmania on both these dates :( hope you all have fun

We seem to be picking dates you're not available lately! Sorry nnls :-(

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1236 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
Thanks for fixing that ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: January 08, 2017, 11:41:51 PM »
Thanks for fixing that ;)

Thanks for justifying my purchase of an insanely expensive house! :-P

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1238 on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »
Happiness needs no justification. Your username indicates it's something you value, therefore it's totally valid. Plus then friends can mooch!  Yay! 

As far as time on the 11th, the earlier start time the better for us... with the baby, we tend to retire early, so to fit in fun we have to start early. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1239 on: January 09, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
In that case, what's the earliest start time that'll work for you? We'll start it then :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1240 on: January 09, 2017, 04:55:00 AM »
Board games at the HappierHome: 1.30pm onwards, Saturday 11 Feb, my house (inner North), I'll provide tasty baked goods and a pile of games.

Post here or PM me to get on the super cool invite list, i.e. get sent my address ;-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1241 on: January 11, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »
Crafternoon 1pm onwards on Saturday January 21st: I will be PMing details to AV, englyn and Ms Terror. I've already shared details with stashgrower, who may join us (yay!).

If anyone else is keen, please let me know!

Boardgames 1.30pm onwards on Saturday February 11th: I will be PMing details to Arebelspy, AV, and I think englyn? If I've missed anyone, or if anyone else is interested, again, just let me know :-)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #1242 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:14 AM »
Crafternoon 1pm onwards on Saturday January 21st: I will be PMing details to AV, englyn and Ms Terror. I've already shared details with stashgrower, who may join us (yay!).

Boardgames 1.30pm onwards on Saturday February 11th: I will be PMing details to Arebelspy, AV, and I think englyn? If I've missed anyone, or if anyone else is interested, again, just let me know :-)

Could I possibly join for boardgames?  I have the Widow's Walk expansion to Betrayal at the House on the Hill, so if people are interested could bring it along?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1243 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:45 AM »

Could I possibly join for boardgames?  I have the Widow's Walk expansion to Betrayal at the House on the Hill, so if people are interested could bring it along?

Yes! Prepare to be PM'd (tomorrow, when I'm on an actual computer).

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1244 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
Hello! finally in Perth, so was curious when/if any meetups are happening soon.
If anything is happening, I will probably drag Sir Ed along, so my being there may depend on toddler friendliness

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1245 on: January 17, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »
If anything is happening, I will probably drag Sir Ed along, so my being there may depend on toddler friendliness

What would be toddler-friendly? A picnic?

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1246 on: January 18, 2017, 04:11:00 AM »

Generally, it means a place where he can play, and not worry about damaging stuff - I hate going to a persons house, and being worried he's going to break something cos they have all their nice stuff in easy reach, in the areas of the house that we might be using. It's too stressful, and my kid has a looooot of energy. And he climbs. Hence his forum nickname, that 2ndtimer gave him.

So kid friendly cafes, playground and parks are fantastic, as he can run around, be noisy, as are peoples homes where they have kids themselves, or have kid friendly furnishings where we are.
Libraries are good too, some aquatic centres, festivals etc

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1247 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »

Generally, it means a place where he can play, and not worry about damaging stuff - I hate going to a persons house, and being worried he's going to break something cos they have all their nice stuff in easy reach, in the areas of the house that we might be using. It's too stressful, and my kid has a looooot of energy. And he climbs. Hence his forum nickname, that 2ndtimer gave him.

So kid friendly cafes, playground and parks are fantastic, as he can run around, be noisy, as are peoples homes where they have kids themselves, or have kid friendly furnishings where we are.
Libraries are good too, some aquatic centres, festivals etc

Oh god, I do not even want to think about how much child-proofing I need to do before Baby Nephew becomes Toddler Nephew and my whole house becomes a potential death trap for him. At least once a small child has destroyed our awful (but comfortable!) beige suede sofas I can justify replacing them with something less beige and suede-y, right?

So maybe a park with a good playground, somewhere central :-) I think some of the King's Park playgrounds are meant to be pretty great.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1248 on: January 18, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
I personalyl found, it's not so much death trap that worries me (babies bounce really well,  ask me how I know this) but more about the destruction of property - what can be thrown, chewed, sat on, hit, kicked and otherwise abused. And toddlers do not have impulse control either. Their brains simply haven't developed enough for that.

Kings Park sounds nice, haven't been there since I was pregnant, but I remember it being lovely.

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #1249 on: January 20, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm still on the tail end of a summer cold so I'll keep my potential germs away from the pregnant people! I'll do some crocheting on my couch instead. I think I'll be available for the February meet up though :)