Author Topic: Ottawa (Canada) MMM readers wanted!  (Read 6715 times)

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
Ottawa (Canada) MMM readers wanted!
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
Hey all,

I just got the following interesting email from a producer at CBC news (one of Canada's biggest media outlets):
-----------------
Comments: Hi there,

My name is Jen Beard.  I am a producer for CBC in Ottawa.  A friend of mine recently told me about your blog.  I am producing a series about debt and I am looking for some local MMM people who I can talk to about getting a hold of their debt.  Just wondering if you could put me in touch with some people from Ottawa since you were recently here.

Thanks!

Jen
---------------------
If you live in the area and might be willing to do an interview sharing your thoughts on debt, saving and consumerism in the Ottawa area (especially if you have dealt with debt yourself), you should get in touch with her at jennifer dot beard at cbc.ca.

If you do get in touch, maybe drop a reply on this forum too, just so we can all keep track of how many people are contacting her.

I might get a chance to be part of the interview too (probably via Skype). Once she found out Mrs. MM was from Ottawa and that I lived there too, she asked if I could participate too.

many thanks!
MMM

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
Re: Ottawa (Canada) MMM readers wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »
Anyone? ... Anyone? .. Bueller? ... Bueller?

<cricket, cricket, cricket>

Maybe I'll try to post the request on Twitter to see if that gets any further. In the worst case, the main blog might find some Ottawanians.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
Crap! Wrong province for me!

daizy744

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
I value my privacy, so I don't like the idea of being on the news in a public story like this. Although I would watch/read the piece once it's published! :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
I value my privacy, so I don't like the idea of being on the news in a public story like this. Although I would watch/read the piece once it's published! :-)

Couldn't hurt to contact and ask about being anonymous in the article, or having them change your name.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

beav80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
I've taken up the call.  I feel like talking about these things is worthwhile, and I won't be telling anyone anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable telling a stranger about my financial situation.  I'm definitely no early retiree, and I'm basically at the beginning stage of saving and investing but I've got a few things going for me that I'm okay with sharing.  I'll be interviewed on Thursday evening.  I thought this was radio though!  I guess it's an opportunity to show my beautiful face to the world.

I want to mention the ideas that:

- the less you spend, the less you need for retirement and the easier it becomes to save
- cutting down on housing, transportation, and food costs are the ways to see the most savings
- bikes are the key to happiness in the world (joking, but not joking)

What other big ticket ideas do you all think I should mention?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:15:02 AM by beav80 »

beav80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
So I just had an interview with the CBC, pretty interesting.  I didn't realize this was for television until a few days ago so it felt weird being filmed but I think I represented the basic ideas of MMM and early retirement pretty well.  MMM will have his day in court as well so I'm curious to see the final results.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
WOW!  Very cool.  Thanks for representing the Mustachians!  It'll be fun to watch.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
Yeah! Thanks a lot Beav!

I just got off the chat window with another Ottawa representer, Mr. Frugal Toque. He said the film crew came to his house too. I learned from Jen that it's a TV, Radio AND print edition story.

Frugaltoque said they were really nice, and he was pleased that they got some footage of his kids playing on the new play structure he made for them during this summer of Funemployment.

Nobody wanted to film me because I'm too far away, but I'll apparently be participating one of those live web Q&A sessions on Thursday Sept 6th at noon Eastern time, right after the story runs (?).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:43:26 PM by MMM »

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
Yay Ottawa mustachians! Keep us posted so we can watch, read and listen at the right time!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
Yay Ottawa mustachians!

+1

Thanks for spreading the Mustachian Message to our northern brethren.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »
And when is this going to air, exactly? I would love to follow it if there's a web audio feed simulcast with the radio story, or to read the print story.

It's not a part of this series, is it? That's the closest I could find...

beav80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
I'm supposed to be on the news Thursday.  They sent a bunch of follow-up questions that I just didn't feel comfortable answering.  I felt bad because it would have made for a better story to have my wife's and my total income and percentage of savings, etc. but I'm not terribly comfortable giving that information to strangers.  Too bad really, that would be more interesting.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
Nah, don't worry about it Beav, you've already given plenty!

CBC asked me if they could have my real full name and share it with everyone, and I told them No on that issue as well. It's much more fun to have a secret identity (although I don't hide the fact that my first name is Pete).

In as small a town as the one I live in, it could become downright inconvenient to have everyone including the mayor knowing all of the MMM family's personal business and connecting it with a real face and address.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
And when is this going to air, exactly? I would love to follow it if there's a web audio feed simulcast with the radio story, or to read the print story.

It's not a part of this series, is it? That's the closest I could find...

Yes, that's the series.  Debt Becomes Us.  The story should be there tomorrow.  There's a live chat with MMM as well tomorrow:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/09/05/ottawa-tips-for-getting-out-of-debt-live-chat.html

beav80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:05 AM »

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:38:13 AM »
I am amused that both photos feature strong facial hair ;)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
Not to thread necro too bad, but to watch the vide I had to first see an ad for an all-new 2013 sport-tuned full-sized Lexus SUV. They missed their target audience there, I think.