Author Topic: Orlando, FL  (Read 95573 times)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Orlando, FL
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »
Sorry last weekend's meet-up got cancelled. *sad face* Anyone free on Sunday the 11th? (I may not be able to get there until 12:30p)

Unfortunately won't be able to make the 11th. Have fun!

What did you end up deciding about the termite treatment vs termite bond? I checked with some of my neighbors, and no one has a termite bond. One guy has a termite treatment contract. The rest of us just wing it. These are mostly older homes built from 1930's-50's, and no issues so far.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
  • I'm Christine, nice to meetcha
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
Hi, Roots: Yeah, we landed on winging it, lol. Interesting about the age of the homes you mentioned: my co-worker has a home from that time frame and he said something about how older wood is harder and less likely to get termites. I did two seconds of research and it seems like termites mostly prefer younger wood, which tends to be more moist and, for lack of a better phrase, easier to chew? So sounds like older homes may have a slightly less chance of getting them? At least anecdotally.

Regarding Sunday's meet-up with Pseudostace and maybe Bemly: I'll actually be there at noon for once! Shocking, lol. Am looking forward to ramen. Mmm. It would be nice if it were a tiny bit cold/cozy for the ramen versus this heat wave that seems to be coming through. It's February, for goodness' sake!

FI_WHY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
It's so nice to see I'm not the only one here in Orlando.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Let me know if I should delete this post because it's not exactly about meetups but I need some input from Orlando folks.

Does anyone know any resources for a short-term rental? (3/6/9 months)
I'd prefer an apartment over a room, and have a dog. But am a good, clean, and quiet tenant.
I'm looking to purchase a duplex/triplex in the near future but if I start that process then I will have to find temporary accommodations in the meantime. I can't really post to the Orlando facebook groups because of mutual friends who are members of the group and it is not public knowledge that I am looking to make a change.

Any advice/resources would be greatly appreciated!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »
Let me know if I should delete this post because it's not exactly about meetups but I need some input from Orlando folks.

Does anyone know any resources for a short-term rental? (3/6/9 months)
I'd prefer an apartment over a room, and have a dog. But am a good, clean, and quiet tenant.
I'm looking to purchase a duplex/triplex in the near future but if I start that process then I will have to find temporary accommodations in the meantime. I can't really post to the Orlando facebook groups because of mutual friends who are members of the group and it is not public knowledge that I am looking to make a change.

Any advice/resources would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any Mustachian specific recommendations and haven't looked for an apartment in several years - the Orlando forum over at http://www.city-data.com/forum/Orlando might be able provide some advice. 

For a short term idea, maybe reaching out to a motivated VRBO.com owner?  They may be willing to give you a good rate? 

Good luck!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
Anyone interested in doing a March meet-up? Can't remember if there are any other places we wanted to try. Infusion Tea, or was that already done? I'm thinking maybe there was a BBQ place as well...

(potential) date: Sunday, 3/25
time: noon

Thoughts?

Oh, and PseudoStache, I have a friend interested in attending one of the CFRI monthly meetings, maybe in April. Do you go every month, or just occasionally?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
I should be in - barring any last minute Spring Break plans with the kiddos :)

BBQ sounds good... I think we talked about Ethos at some point?

CFRI General Meetings are typically the first Wed of the month at Edgewater High.
I haven't been in a while TBH.. but happy to speak to your friend about it!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
@lexde This might be stating the obvious, but Orlando is huge, and if you have a target area, contacting a local realtor is another idea. The realtor who I bought my house from also handles rentals (short and long term). Good luck!

For meetup, I'm tentative for Sunday 3/25 for Infusion or whatever! Also, I'll be at Winter Park PNC (right next to Ethos) Friday afternoon 3/16 around 2:30 to open the $400 checking if anyone wants to try to meetup briefly or grab something at Ethos then.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
@lexde This might be stating the obvious, but Orlando is huge, and if you have a target area, contacting a local realtor is another idea. The realtor who I bought my house from also handles rentals (short and long term). Good luck!

For meetup, I'm tentative for Sunday 3/25 for Infusion or whatever! Also, I'll be at Winter Park PNC (right next to Ethos) Friday afternoon 3/16 around 2:30 to open the $400 checking if anyone wants to try to meetup briefly or grab something at Ethos then.

Do you have more details on the $400?  Are there any minimums for the Direct Deposit or time limits/penalties for closing down the account ASAP?

Looks like:
Open and use a select new PNC checking product and earn up to $400
Simply establish a qualifying direct deposit and make 10 purchases with a PNC Visa® Debit Card. Visit the Fairbanks at Winter Park Branch by March 31st to take advantage of this offer.

If it looks like I'm eligible for it, I'll try to make it!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2018, 06:00:16 AM »
^ Yep it's $5k "direct deposit" (Vanguard transfer should work) and the account can be closed after 180 days. If you want to earn the extra $30, simply fill out the form online and say you want speak with someone about opening a new Performance Select checking account. You can list your preferred meeting time too to streamline. Good luck!

FI_WHY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »
Anyone interested in doing a March meet-up? Can't remember if there are any other places we wanted to try. Infusion Tea, or was that already done? I'm thinking maybe there was a BBQ place as well...

Thoughts?

Oh, and PseudoStache, I have a friend interested in attending one of the CFRI monthly meetings, maybe in April. Do you go every month, or just occasionally?

I'm extremely interested but this is the exact day I'm traveling :)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »

Thoughts?

I'm extremely interested but this is the exact day I'm traveling :)

Impromptu Meetup/Linner at Ethos at 3PM on 3/16 (THIS FRIDAY)

Looking forward to hearing Roots' experience opening up that PNC account!

Ethos
http://www.ethosvegankitchen.com/
Address: 601 S New York Ave Ste B, Winter Park, FL 32789
Phone: (407) 228-3898

NOTE:  This is NOT in place of a 3/25 meetup - looking forward to that as well!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:39:33 PM by PseudoStache »

tkc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »
I would love to come but I am working on Friday

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »
I would love to come but I am working on Friday

You're alive!  Hopefully you're getting some sleep :)

Can you can make it out on the 25th? - Would love to see some pics (PM me clothing sizes - I may have some stuff for you).

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
I can make the one on the 25th. Camping this Friday, otherwise I'd be at that one as well

Looking forward to meeting you on the 25th.

Where?

Tent camping?  Or Camper... or? 

I just installed a hitch on my mini SUV for the purposes of towing around a small camper - but haven't taken the plunge and rented one yet.

FI_WHY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
I should be in for the 25th! Plane doesn't take off until the evening.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
I should be in for the 25th! Plane doesn't take off until the evening.

Looks like we're getting a good bunch together for the 25th!

Reminder - if you don't have any late lunch plans tomorrow or want an excuse to get out of work early.

Come join us at Ethos at 3PM

The pig will be there!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »
How was the Ethos/PNC meetup?

PseudoStache and I were chatting about locations for the 25th but instead of narrowing, I may have accidentally opened it up a bit instead. Does anyone have a preference between: http://www.infusionorlando.com/ (College Park), https://pigfloyds.com/ (Mills), or http://blackbeandeli.com/ (off SR 50)? Was leaning toward Black Bean Deli while the weather is still nice...

davenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »
How was the Ethos/PNC meetup?

PseudoStache and I were chatting about locations for the 25th but instead of narrowing, I may have accidentally opened it up a bit instead. Does anyone have a preference between: http://www.infusionorlando.com/ (College Park), https://pigfloyds.com/ (Mills), or http://blackbeandeli.com/ (off SR 50)? Was leaning toward Black Bean Deli while the weather is still nice...

Hi, new user here.  I'd like to try to meet up with fellow Orlando people. My vote is for Pig Floyd's.

FI_WHY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »

Hi, new user here.  I'd like to try to meet up with fellow Orlando people. My vote is for Pig Floyd's.

That place is great! I've been to the one in Lake Nona and loved it.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
Pig Floyd's it is! I've never been, but the menu looks delish.

Pig Floyd Urban Barbakoa
https://pigfloyds.com/
Sunday, March 25 - noon
1326 N Mills Ave, Orlando, FL 32803

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »
Pig Floyd's it is! I've never been, but the menu looks delish.

Pig Floyd Urban Barbakoa
https://pigfloyds.com/
Sunday, March 25 - noon
1326 N Mills Ave, Orlando, FL 32803

Looking forward to some BBQ!

For our "meat-less" friends, the Side Kicks are pretty darn tasty - so please do join us!

If this is your first time, find the table with the geeky pig!

dorf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
I love Pig Floyd's but I won't be able to make it.

Hope to be there next month.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
Sorry to have missed the last meetup!  @PseudoStache hope your pot turned out well, what a great gift idea. @Random Hangers love your termite thoughts, sometimes doing nothing is the best decision :)

Is anyone going to Monday's SpaceX launch or have recommended viewing spot? I've been wanting to catch one of these, and had saved the following about possible viewing spots.

Spacex launches their Falcon 9 from here: Space Launch Complex 40. I always watch spacex from the south side of the launches near port Canaveral like that guide recommends which is around 10 miles away from the launch pad. However that guide says to watch from 401 @ 28.418787, -80.625062 but I find that that road is super crazy packed and you literally can't park unless you get there 3-4 hours early. I watch from ever so slightly farther away on A1A on the bridge/landbridge that goes across the river @ 28.405583, -80.652307. You will still have a clear view just make sure to go to near that GPS location or slightly farther west so that your view isn't obstructed by all the lights along 401 and port Canaveral. You will need to go east across the bridge and do a U turn and come back west across the bridge then pull off onto the right side of the road like these directions show Directions.

I have also been tempted to go to jetty Park beach here: Beach Location but have not done that yet. I'm not sure exactly where I could publicly park or how busy it would be but it would be really cool since it is close and clear view of the landing site if they bring the first stage back to land.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
@Roots&Wings, sorry you didn't get a reco for a viewing spot. I didn't even know one was happening, so I made a poor source in that regard, lol.

This may have been posted on the forum elsewhere, but this is the only thread I have time to read these days so thought I'd drop it here: http://time.com/money/5241566/vicki-robin-financial-independence-retire-early/ Thought it was really interesting, particularly the part about how there are different *kinds* of FIRES: "regular," barista, fat, etc. It was a pretty interesting distinction. My co-worker who recommended it to me thought I'd most identify with frugal FIRE (he's aware of MMM), but turns out I'm more of a barista, since we plan on having some kind of job and easing into retirement, depending on what insurance looks like in 11 years.

Speaking of the co-worker, he got the impression that MMM made money off the Camps that were mentioned in the article, and said of course he could be retired if folks are paying $425/person for such things. Those aren't put on by MMM, right? I think he shows up from time to time, but he's not the primary organizer. Do we think he gets paid for speaking/appearing? What else do you suppose the money is going toward? My co-worker made a good point that such a high ticket price sort of flies in the face of Mustachianism, but I said that the info is likely very valuable, and the idea of course would be that you'd be out of debt, well on your way to FIRE, etc. I've never been to one of those gatherings (nor do I have a desire to), so I'd never really thought about it.

To bring it back to O-town specifically, anyone interested in a meetup this month? Maybe Sunday the 29th?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2018, 07:35:59 PM »
@Roots&Wings, sorry you didn't get a reco for a viewing spot. I didn't even know one was happening, so I made a poor source in that regard, lol.

This may have been posted on the forum elsewhere, but this is the only thread I have time to read these days so thought I'd drop it here: http://time.com/money/5241566/vicki-robin-financial-independence-retire-early/ Thought it was really interesting, particularly the part about how there are different *kinds* of FIRES: "regular," barista, fat, etc. It was a pretty interesting distinction. My co-worker who recommended it to me thought I'd most identify with frugal FIRE (he's aware of MMM), but turns out I'm more of a barista, since we plan on having some kind of job and easing into retirement, depending on what insurance looks like in 11 years.

Speaking of the co-worker, he got the impression that MMM made money off the Camps that were mentioned in the article, and said of course he could be retired if folks are paying $425/person for such things. Those aren't put on by MMM, right? I think he shows up from time to time, but he's not the primary organizer. Do we think he gets paid for speaking/appearing? What else do you suppose the money is going toward? My co-worker made a good point that such a high ticket price sort of flies in the face of Mustachianism, but I said that the info is likely very valuable, and the idea of course would be that you'd be out of debt, well on your way to FIRE, etc. I've never been to one of those gatherings (nor do I have a desire to), so I'd never really thought about it.

To bring it back to O-town specifically, anyone interested in a meetup this month? Maybe Sunday the 29th?

I'd say I'm Fat-FIRE-ish... meaning I'm planning to work for 10-12 more years - which is when my house should be paid off... and I will probably still earn some money in real estate here and there.  Healthcare is the biggest unknown, but I have a feeling my wife will want to continue working a bit more. 

The Fat-FIRE-"ish" piece is that I'm pretty satisfied with my work-life-balance and pay, so if I can make it last for those 10-12 years, I won't be hating life.  I work from home and I have 5 weeks of vacation every year - that I don't really even use since my kids are in school.  Fat-FIRE would just "happen" at this rate.  HOWEVER - If I lost this job, and was not able to find something comparable (work from home/pay), I would likely take a huge pay cut to take a "meaningful" job that I truly enjoy going to - and I would be OK with "just" FIRE.

I believe the organizer of some of the Camps DOES make money off of them... I'm not sure if this amount was disclosed, but he inferred that he makes what a reasonable professional event/meeting planner would make for organizing/facilitating an event like this.  I personally don't see the value in spending $300+ to gain info that I can learn about for free - but if it were maybe < $100 I might do it since they include meals and the opportunity to chat with more like-minded folks.

I'd also add that our small Orlando Meetups have been awesome - and make the camps seem even LESS valuable to me :)  Awwwwwww.

As for the 29th - I have a 6-year old Birthday party to attend to in the Lake Mary area at 1, but would be available for a breakfast/brunch/early-lunch meetup!

davenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »

I have family in town that weekend. Could we move a meetup to the following weekend, May 5?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
I feel bad that I keep forgetting about this!  If you don't mind an old fart (51) showing up I'd love to come.  I've been pretty much FIRE'd since getting laid off last June, and since my husband decided to retire at the same time we decided to move from Richmond, VA down here.  It's been CRAZY, but things have chilled so I can be social.  :D

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
I feel bad that I keep forgetting about this!  If you don't mind an old fart (51) showing up I'd love to come.  I've been pretty much FIRE'd since getting laid off last June, and since my husband decided to retire at the same time we decided to move from Richmond, VA down here.  It's been CRAZY, but things have chilled so I can be social.  :D

We love hearing from FIRE-ees!  If I get laid off, I think my path to FIRE will likely shorten as well!

Join us!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »

I have family in town that weekend. Could we move a meetup to the following weekend, May 5?

I'm out of town that weekend :(  and "a little" booked on the 29th - might have to miss you guys this go around.

But if anyone wants to do short-notice meet up this Sunday (2/22), let me know!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
How about 5/13 or 5/20?

@Random Hangers, nice article :) I also can't keep up with the forum at large. Loved this part too:
FIRE folks love meeting up in real life so they can geek out on stuff they might not feel comfortable sharing with friends or family. You know you’ve found your tribe when you can call Roth IRA conversion laddering “beautiful” and have a sea of faces nod earnestly in agreement

Yeah, healthcare is a big unknown, I might do something part-time just for that alone. Also pretty conservative financially and aiming for "fat FIRE" number, but more into MMM lifestyle type things.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2018, 02:35:47 PM »
How about 5/13 or 5/20?

@Random Hangers, nice article :) I also can't keep up with the forum at large. Loved this part too:
FIRE folks love meeting up in real life so they can geek out on stuff they might not feel comfortable sharing with friends or family. You know you’ve found your tribe when you can call Roth IRA conversion laddering “beautiful” and have a sea of faces nod earnestly in agreement

Yeah, healthcare is a big unknown, I might do something part-time just for that alone. Also pretty conservative financially and aiming for "fat FIRE" number, but more into MMM lifestyle type things.

I'm available the 20th!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »
5/20 works for me!

Thoughts on a location? I was at Infusion a few Sundays ago and it wasn't that busy around noon, but in full disclosure, that's when it was raining pretty hard, which might have kept folks away from both the restaurant and the farmer's market happening in the parking lot. But as long as we snag one of the larger tables, we might be ok?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
5/20 works for me!

Thoughts on a location? I was at Infusion a few Sundays ago and it wasn't that busy around noon, but in full disclosure, that's when it was raining pretty hard, which might have kept folks away from both the restaurant and the farmer's market happening in the parking lot. But as long as we snag one of the larger tables, we might be ok?

Infusion sounds good!  Been waiting to try it.

I'm getting Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos: Buffalo cauliflower bites drizzled in ranch dressing topped with lettuce.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Orlando, FL
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Anything labeled Camp Mustache has to be non-profit, I believe. Stephen Baughier and his twin brother David did the first one as a Camp Mustache Southeast and Pete came. The Baughiers wanted to make a profit (fair, given the amount of work involved) and changed the name to Camp FI. Pete no longer participates.

I went to the first one. I was one of very few Forum members there. It was fun meeting and talking to Pete, who is very different from his MMM persona, but I am unlikely to attend future ones.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:06:19 PM by pbkmaine »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
5/20 works for me!

I'm getting Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos: Buffalo cauliflower bites drizzled in ranch dressing topped with lettuce.

Infusion, 5/20, noon, sounds good!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2018, 06:34:08 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this Orlando meetup group for Sustainable Self-Reliant Living: https://www.meetup.com/Sustainable-Self-Reliant-Living/ Parts seem very Mustachian.

"Our approach to self-reliant living follows a simple, 10-step process:

- Get out of debt as fast as you can, and build your savings (short & long term)
- Develop your personal wealth plan: Improve or replace your day job, cut your monthly expenses, and understand how to minimize your tax exposure

- Grow, produce and store some of your own food
- Conserve and store water for short and long term needs
- Learn basic medical skills and build first aid kits for your home, work, and autos.
- Maximize your use of your land, and increase its production
- Develop a pragmatic approach to preparing for natural or man-made disasters
- Identify additional means to add energy sources or storage to your preparations
- Continuously improve your self-defense and security capabilities
- Regularly review and grade your current preparedness plan and adjust as needed"

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »
Not familiar with the group - Some of those steps do seem pretty Mustachian!

Maybe a bit extreme or "prepper"-ish for me.

If you attend a meetup give us your feedback!

Is anyone familiar with this Orlando meetup group for Sustainable Self-Reliant Living: https://www.meetup.com/Sustainable-Self-Reliant-Living/ Parts seem very Mustachian.

"Our approach to self-reliant living follows a simple, 10-step process:

- Get out of debt as fast as you can, and build your savings (short & long term)
- Develop your personal wealth plan: Improve or replace your day job, cut your monthly expenses, and understand how to minimize your tax exposure

- Grow, produce and store some of your own food
- Conserve and store water for short and long term needs
- Learn basic medical skills and build first aid kits for your home, work, and autos.
- Maximize your use of your land, and increase its production
- Develop a pragmatic approach to preparing for natural or man-made disasters
- Identify additional means to add energy sources or storage to your preparations
- Continuously improve your self-defense and security capabilities
- Regularly review and grade your current preparedness plan and adjust as needed"

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
5/20 works for me!

Infusion, 5/20, noon, sounds good!

Is 5/20 at Infusion at noon still a go?

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
I'll be there!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Not familiar with the group - Some of those steps do seem pretty Mustachian!

Maybe a bit extreme or "prepper"-ish for me.

If you attend a meetup give us your feedback!

Yeah, if it's extreme survivalist/end of civilization stuff, that wouldn't be my thing either. But, I could always learn some things with hurricane preparedness. Also have a garden with fruit trees, veggies, and native plants. And planning to retrofit my house to be near zero energy (solar incentives unfortunately stink).

I'll be there!

I'll try to be there for 5/20 too!

davenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
Planning to be at Infusion on 5/20.

dorf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
I'm in.

davenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
Sorry for the late notification but I won’t be able to make today’s meetup. Have fun!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:34 AM »
Hey folks - After all of this rain and thinking about how i did not have a generator last year with 3 days of no power, I just bought this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-4-000-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Powered-Portable-Generator-Runs-on-LPG-or-Regular-Gasoline-803266/304541553

The reviews look ok and it’s dual fuel (propane/gasoline) - and  a fairly good price from my short research ($289 on sale)

Hope i don’t have to use it, but thought I might pass along since we are about to start hurricane season.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
You "prepper"! Sorry couldn't resist :) Thanks for sharing. Did you get the special gauge extension cords too to run fridge/freezer, ac, etc, and the cords will just hang out a window or something?

An elderly neighbors does the low tech old time Florida approach of freezing milk cartons in advance to keep fridge cold as an "ice box", a battery lamp, baby wipes for "showering", and a battery powered fan, but of course it's still really uncomfortable when it's hot/humid.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
You "prepper"! Sorry couldn't resist :) Thanks for sharing. Did you get the special gauge extension cords too to run fridge/freezer, ac, etc, and the cords will just hang out a window or something?

An elderly neighbors does the low tech old time Florida approach of freezing milk cartons in advance to keep fridge cold as an "ice box", a battery lamp, baby wipes for "showering", and a battery powered fan, but of course it's still really uncomfortable when it's hot/humid.

Haha!  Yes, just planning to do cords (which I still need to purchase).

I BELIEVE this one should be able to power a portable AC/small window unit, run a fridge, and still power up my cable modem while keeping portable devices online.... For my underground nuclear bunker of course :)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Time is flying by and we're already mid-way into June!

Any interest in a June meetup?  What day(s) work for you?

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2018, 08:32:03 AM »
How about Saturday the 23rd of Sunday the 24th? The latter is better for me, but not sure how the rest of the folks feel.

Anyone have any ideas on fun locations we haven't been to yet?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »
How about Saturday the 23rd of Sunday the 24th? The latter is better for me, but not sure how the rest of the folks feel.

Anyone have any ideas on fun locations we haven't been to yet?

I don't think we've done a Middle Eastern or Mediterranean place yet, have we?

Blaze Pizza off of Lee Road/Orlando Ave in Winter Park is actually pretty budget friendly.

At this point, I can do either day.