Author Topic: Orlando, FL  (Read 95582 times)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
Orlando, FL
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
Starting a branch off of the Florida thread :)

Thought this might be a good place to setup Orlando Metro specific meetups and also chat about our cool city :)

A few of us even work from home - so maybe there's a networking/co-working opportunity as well?

We've been meeting for lunch the third weekend of the month. 

Saturday May 20th at 12:00 is coming up... and at our April meetup we talked about going to:
Kohinoor Indian Restaurant
http://www.kohinoorindianrestaurant.com/
249 W STATE ROAD 436
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL

Hope you can make it!

tkc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Orlando, FL
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
in

dorf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
On board

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »
I'm in.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
Thank you for organizing this pseudostache! Hope to be there again. Get back from a work trip Fri, will see how I feel Sat.

As far as Orlando area, anyone have any favorite places or things to do? I'm a fan of all the parks, nature preserves, and springs. Hoping to check out more of these.

Top 10 springs around Orlando and in Central Florida:
- Blue Spring
- Silver Springs
- Rainbow Springs
- Silver Glen Springs
- Juniper Spring
- Alexander Spring
- Wekiwa Springs
- Rock Springs
- DeLeon Springs
- Salt Springs

Some nice beaches fairly close too, New Smyrna Beach, Wilbur by the Sea (lighthouse was cool), Canaveral Nat'l Seashore. Hope to catch a SpaceX launch one of these days!

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
Hey Orlando mustachians ~ Do you guys think Orlando is a good city to live? I always love visiting, I'm curious about living there :D

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
Thank you for organizing this pseudostache! Hope to be there again. Get back from a work trip Fri, will see how I feel Sat.

As far as Orlando area, anyone have any favorite places or things to do? I'm a fan of all the parks, nature preserves, and springs. Hoping to check out more of these.

Top 10 springs around Orlando and in Central Florida:
- Blue Spring
- Silver Springs
- Rainbow Springs
- Silver Glen Springs
- Juniper Spring
- Alexander Spring
- Wekiwa Springs
- Rock Springs
- DeLeon Springs
- Salt Springs

Some nice beaches fairly close too, New Smyrna Beach, Wilbur by the Sea (lighthouse was cool), Canaveral Nat'l Seashore. Hope to catch a SpaceX launch one of these days!

I live near the Wekiv(w)a area, but have only been to the springs a couple of times.

We visited Blue Springs several years ago to check out the Manatees - I believe they like to gather there during cold weather
And we enjoyed the Sugar Mill at Deleon Springs where you get to cook up pancakes on your own griddle.

If someone wants to put together a non-restaurant meet up, let's do it!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »
If someone wants to put together a non-restaurant meet up, let's do it!

^ Ha, no, I'm good with the restaurant meetups! Mostly commenting to "chat about our cool city" and see what other folks enjoy about living here, if others want to share :)

Blue Springs during winter manatee time is pretty special, sooo many come in, some serious water ballet going on! DeLeon Springs sounds like fun with the pancakes, will check it out when my family visits next. Also really enjoyed Silver Glen Springs, incredible turquoise water, small bubbling sand boils that "birth" new springs, ancient shell mounds, and the Yearling Trail right across the road.

Hey Orlando mustachians ~ Do you guys think Orlando is a good city to live? I always love visiting, I'm curious about living there :D

I'm not in downtown Orlando or a city person, but definitely enjoy living in the area (clean air, sunshine, being outdoors, LCOL, no state income tax!) and access to city amenities like int'l airport.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:24:05 AM by step-in-time »

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »

I'm not in downtown Orlando or a city person, but definitely enjoy living in the area (clean air, sunshine, being outdoors, LCOL, no state income tax!) and access to city amenities like int'l airport.

I'm probably not the best one to ask, as I'm pretty good at making anywhere I live "home," and have never really complained about anywhere I've lived (SoCal, Texas, PA).

We have no plans to ever leave Orlando - but do plan to slow travel across the country/world while keeping our home here as a home base and permanent residence.

Overall, I find Orlando to be a diverse/accepting metro.  There are plenty of things to do indoors/outdoors/cultural/food/etc...  Then of course you have all of the entertainment options.. If anyone tells me they're bored or can't find anything to do, I have to roll my eyes.

Now if you're looking for "Big City" living, you're not going to get that here.  While I like the occasional downtown visit, it's not very impressive nor charming in my opinion... but if you are looking for that walkable/bike-able lifestyle, it works.

Everywhere else typically requires a car - which is fine for my particular lifestyle.

As step-in-time mentioned, the no-state-income-tax as well as generous retirement/homestead asset protection atmosphere is great!  I don't think housing is outrageously expensive, but I do believe prices have outpaced average incomes, and it's the low interest rates that are allowing the appreciation.

If you're visiting Orlando during the third weekend of the month, come join us!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
PtF--we're moving to Orlando next month, so I may be able to make the July meetup!

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »

I'm probably not the best one to ask, as I'm pretty good at making anywhere I live "home," and have never really complained about anywhere I've lived (SoCal, Texas, PA).

We have no plans to ever leave Orlando - but do plan to slow travel across the country/world while keeping our home here as a home base and permanent residence.

Overall, I find Orlando to be a diverse/accepting metro.  There are plenty of things to do indoors/outdoors/cultural/food/etc...  Then of course you have all of the entertainment options.. If anyone tells me they're bored or can't find anything to do, I have to roll my eyes.

Now if you're looking for "Big City" living, you're not going to get that here.  While I like the occasional downtown visit, it's not very impressive nor charming in my opinion... but if you are looking for that walkable/bike-able lifestyle, it works.

Everywhere else typically requires a car - which is fine for my particular lifestyle.

As step-in-time mentioned, the no-state-income-tax as well as generous retirement/homestead asset protection atmosphere is great!  I don't think housing is outrageously expensive, but I do believe prices have outpaced average incomes, and it's the low interest rates that are allowing the appreciation.

If you're visiting Orlando during the third weekend of the month, come join us!

Thank you for the information! I really enjoy the Orlando area. Hopefully I'll be able to meet with you guys some time :)

Stashlando

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Thanks for starting this PseudoStache, I'm going to do my best to make that meet up!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »
PtF--we're moving to Orlando next month, so I may be able to make the July meetup!

Good luck with your move! Hope the summer doesn't phase you too much, took me about 3 years to adjust to the summer heat/humidity. Usually low 90's highs, with afternoon thunderstorms to cool things off. Actually find this better than where I used to live up north, where it would often be upper 90s and humid in summer.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
I'll be in Orlando on the meet-up date, but I'm coming into town for a wedding. :/ I'll keep an eye out for future meet-ups!

So instead of hanging out with some random Mustachian money-minded strangers, you're going to attend a likely lavish/expensive event with loved ones?

We see where your priorities really lie :P

Our next one should be June 17th if we stick to the plan.  Hope to see you then!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
  • I'm Christine, nice to meetcha
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
I'm driving back from a South Florida visit with the fam this Saturday, but barring traffic issues *knocks on wood*, should be able to hit Altamonte by about 12:30p. Hope to see you then!

P.S. At some point can we maybe switch it up with Sundays? Likely won't work for June, since the third Sunday is Father's Day, but maybe every few months? Just a (selfish) thought...

Thanks!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »
I'm driving back from a South Florida visit with the fam this Saturday, but barring traffic issues *knocks on wood*, should be able to hit Altamonte by about 12:30p. Hope to see you then!

P.S. At some point can we maybe switch it up with Sundays? Likely won't work for June, since the third Sunday is Father's Day, but maybe every few months? Just a (selfish) thought...

Thanks!

I believe Kohinoor has got their Lunch Buffet going on Sunday - so arrival times are pretty flexible!

Let's vote for our June/July dates on Saturday :)

If everyone who expressed some interest makes it out this week, this could be our largest meetup yet!

And that's not even counting the pig!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »

Good luck with your move! Hope the summer doesn't phase you too much, took me about 3 years to adjust to the summer heat/humidity. Usually low 90's highs, with afternoon thunderstorms to cool things off. Actually find this better than where I used to live up north, where it would often be upper 90s and humid in summer.

I have a ton of family in Florida and we'd always visit during the summer so I'm well acquainted with the weather.  Richmond can be the Sixth Pit of Hell in the summer--there's usually at least three or four days where it's over a hundred degrees with 95% humidity.  I'm revamping my wardrobe though.  Dri-Fit t-shirts, gauze and seersucker pants, slides and Crocs! 

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
Anyone considering attending the Southeastern Camp Mustache in Gainesville in January? Has anyone been and can let us know your experience?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
I was there and have just reserved for 2018.  I enjoyed it. Stephen Baughier and his twin brother, David, did a great job hosting. Pete, Mr. MM himself, came. There were not many Forum people, interestingly enough.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
Is there a link with more info about Camp Mustache SE? I've never been able to find the facebook group, if that's the only place where info is posted.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
Look for "Southeastern Mustachians" and ask to join.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
Is there a link with more info about Camp Mustache SE? I've never been able to find the facebook group, if that's the only place where info is posted.

Here ya go!
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/camp-mustache-southeast-2018-tickets-34802000721?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=esfb&utm-source=fb&utm-term=listing

BTW - How was the preserve?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
^ Awesome, thanks!

Sabal Point Sanctuary was interesting! An unattractive dirt road for the first 1/2 mile, but then quite pretty with pine forest, open glade, cypress and palm ecosystems, even saw deer. Super quiet and peaceful, definite asset for your nearby rental, but not worth a special trip IMO.

Looking forward to next meetup, it's fun exploring the area :)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
Anyone considering attending the Southeastern Camp Mustache in Gainesville in January? Has anyone been and can let us know your experience?

To expensive in my opinion unless:

1) Your already retired and it's an affordable luxury
2) You are a finance blogger who justifies it as a business expense for networking
3) You are too lazy to learn about FIRE on the internet and need a weekend marathon session to whip you into shape

Don't get me wrong i'm sure it's a grand time but $600 for a couple is steep... We make sacrifices all the time to save far less than that

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
It's June!

www.jasonsdeli.com
301 E Altamonte Dr, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Time: 12:00 PM

If we keep with the third weekend of the month, it's looking like June 17th.
However with Father's day being the 18th - it may be an inconvenient weekend.

Does the 17th work for most?  If not, we can find another date.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:46:21 AM by PseudoStache »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Miami girl here following in case I am ever in the Orlando area.

..which I might be on June 25, not that it should influence your decision or anything.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:23:12 PM by Daisy »

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
Anyone interested in Real Estate investing want to go to the Central Florida Realty Investors General Meeting tomorrow (6/7)?
http://www.cfri.net

Edgewater High School Performing Arts Center
3100 Edgewater Drive Orlando 32804

Doors Open: 5:15 pm
General Meeting: 6:00 pm

The topic this month is Lease Options.

PM me if you're interested in meeting up and going!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
Miami girl here following in case I am ever in the Orlando area.

..which I might be on June 25, not that it should influence your decision or anything.

Hey Orlando!

June 17th falls on the third weekend of the month - haven't seen any positive responses yet :(
Due to this weekend being Father's Day and the possibility of Daisy joining us, let's push this out to:

==
Jason's Deli
www.jasonsdeli.com

Date: June 25th
==

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
^ Can't make June 25, hope to catch the July meetup!

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
The 25th sounds good.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
So what's the verdict Orlando?

I am stopping by Orlando on my drive back home. I will start 40 minutes away.

Noon might be a little earlier than I wanted. Noon is doable though. I don't want to come off as a pushy Miami girl though...ha ha.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
So what's the verdict Orlando?

I am stopping by Orlando on my drive back home. I will start 40 minutes away.

Noon might be a little earlier than I wanted. Noon is doable though. I don't want to come off as a pushy Miami girl though...ha ha.

Daisy: My generally-no-weekend-plans self completely forgot that my wife had made some out of town plans for us this weekend.

So I will not be able to attend :(

I am not sure of the current attendance, and haven't counted many 'Yays' in the thread.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 12:43:49 AM »
JUNE 25th MEETUP CANCELED!

Let's make up for it with big attendance in July!!!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
Ok

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »
I went bike riding in the West Orange Trail instead. It was nice and shady!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
Happy July 4th everyone!

Time is flying, and the year is half over!  How's everyone's financial year been going?

Between saving and the market I can't believe I've already hit my 2017 target - hope the second half of the year goes just as well!
And hope you all are in the same boat!

Additionally, and with more Orlando relevancy, this past month I've been using my Real Estate license working with a home buyer in the Longwood area - and I'll tell ya - this market is pretty crazy.  Homes are pending in less than a week on the MLS and full price offers for "good" homes are the rule... It's been difficult for my clients to get what they want.

Is anyone else looking for a home right now (primary or investment) and feeling the same burn?

--

So about that July Meetup - As promised, it will be on a Sunday.

The third Sunday is 7/16 - I personally won't be available - Vegas work trip - but don't let that stop the train!
Alternatively we could do 7/23 if more folks are available then?

Any date preferences?

We had Jason's Deli scheduled in June, so we can still do that - but if there is anything else you are dying to try, let us know!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
^ Congrats on meeting your 2017 goals early! And putting your side gig in real estate to greater use. If I hear of anyone looking in greater Longwood area, I'll send them along :)

Also can't make 7/16 but could do 7/23.

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
7/23 sounds good for a meetup. Any restaurant is fine.

A house in my neighborhood just sold without going on the market and at a "make me move" price. He just announced at his church that he was selling and had the contract within days. I wonder if we are heading for a repeat of 2008 crash? Might be some opportunity.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »

Here ya go!
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/camp-mustache-southeast-2018-tickets-34802000721?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=esfb&utm-source=fb&utm-term=listing

FYI for anyone interested in Camp Mustache SE, the above link is for the second week, which is now sold out.

After it (next year's CM SE) sold out instantly, the guy who runs CM SE added a second weekend, a week before the first.  It is close to selling out, but not sold out yet. Jan 5-8.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/camp-mustache-southeast-2018-week-1-jan-5-8-2018-tickets-34921982590

:)

For those wondering about the price, yep, it costs money. All food and lodging is included for several days.  It still seems expensive, but I'll tell you, it's totally worth it.

There's a reason people who attend Camp Mustache events tend to go back. Despite us all being Mustachians, and adverse to spending money unnecessarily, we tend to find a lot of value in the events, it's well worth it. The weekend of spending nonstop time with so many amazing people who yo have so much in common with... well, it's worth finding your tribe. It's just a blast. (And I say that as an introvert.)

The wife and I have literally planned trips into the US (from traveling overseas) just to attend Camp Mustache events.  Next year we'll probably attend 3-4 of them.  It'll probably be 5-10% of our spending for the year.  Well worth it.  :)

Anyways, not trying to convince anyone. I have no connection with it, other than happy attendee, and the event will sell out soon, regardless, just mentioning for those who might be on the fence.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 03:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip arebelspy! I had been on the waiting list for the original date, but now signed up for this new date and I am officially going!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip arebelspy! I had been on the waiting list for the original date, but now signed up for this new date and I am officially going!

Awesome!  See you there!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
Orlando Meetup:

==
Jason's Deli
www.jasonsdeli.com

Date: July 23rd, 2017
==

Hopefully all those that responded earlier can make it!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
A Sunday, hooray! I'm in. :)

dorf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
I will be there.

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
I'm not sure if I can attend, but will try.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »
I'm not in Orlando that weekend. :(

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
Quick question about our "cool area" :) Has anyone checked out any of the bioluminescence kayak spots or done this before? Any tips?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/florida-land-and-sea/experience-bioluminescence/

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Quick question about our "cool area" :) Has anyone checked out any of the bioluminescence kayak spots or done this before? Any tips?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/florida-land-and-sea/experience-bioluminescence/

We did this one about a year ago: http://www.adayawaykayaktours.com/webapp/p/304/dino-and-bioluminescent It was cool, but only from a 'kayaking at night' perspective. The amount of bio-luminescence was NOWHERE like what the photos showed. The coolest part was when we pulled off to a little sandbar and the guide picked up some bio-luminescent critter (not sure what they were) and passed it around (he said it doesn't hurt them, so here's hoping!). That was very cool, but he also said it was surprising that we found them, that they aren't always out.

Hope that helps!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 03:59:32 PM »

We did this one about a year ago: http://www.adayawaykayaktours.com/webapp/p/304/dino-and-bioluminescent It was cool, but only from a 'kayaking at night' perspective. The amount of bio-luminescence was NOWHERE like what the photos showed. The coolest part was when we pulled off to a little sandbar and the guide picked up some bio-luminescent critter (not sure what they were) and passed it around (he said it doesn't hurt them, so here's hoping!). That was very cool, but he also said it was surprising that we found them, that they aren't always out.

Hope that helps!

^ Yes, exactly what I was wondering, thanks Random Hangers! Like a lot of natural phenomena (meteor showers come to mind too), sounds like it's more low-key than they lead you to believe, but would still be interesting to check out :)

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Stay safe this weekend, everyone!