Author Topic: Orange County Meetup  (Read 189461 times)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Orange County Meetup
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »
I'm planning on checking out the the Corona Skyline trail either next weekend or the following weekend. While not OC, it is pretty close.  Let me know if anyone is interested.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/skyline-drive-trails-corona
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:05:38 PM by tj »

Ad Victoriam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
Is anyone interested in a non-hike-related meet up? 

I get that, as Mustachians, many would scoff at the idea of a Starbucks meet up, but what about something like In-N-Out?  Surely, a delicious $3-4 burger (or grilled cheese, for the vegetarians!) for the sake of hanging out with other OC Mustachians isn’t TOO face-punch-worthy?  :P

PS - Long time lurker, first time poster.  :)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
Is anyone interested in a non-hike-related meet up? 

I get that, as Mustachians, many would scoff at the idea of a Starbucks meet up, but what about something like In-N-Out?  Surely, a delicious $3-4 burger (or grilled cheese, for the vegetarians!) for the sake of hanging out with other OC Mustachians isn’t TOO face-punch-worthy?  :P

PS - Long time lurker, first time poster.  :)

Sure, why not? Which one were you thinking?

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
Sure, I'm in for a Meetup. Always nice to meet other mustachians.

Any particular OC location in mind?

Ad Victoriam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
Don't be too quick to judge! Many people here might use Starbucks as their one cheat or they just happen to get a lot of gift cards!

Don’t worry… I wouldn’t have much to stand on if I judged Starbucks drinkers.  It’s one of my cheats, too!  :P 

I just anticipated virtual face-punches if I actually suggested it to a group of Mustachians...  :)

The one without a long line ;)! Not around for an OC meet up myself but you guys might want to check out HB Central Park. Good easy walking with dogs allowed (except in the nature center) and a couple of outdoor restaurants for coffee. Also an In and Out down the street a mile.

I agree with spartana!  Shortest line!!   :P

Seriously, though, the HB Central Park is awesome, and that In-N-Out nearby would be a great spot to meet.  It’s hard to miss!  We could meet up for burgers, and then maybe go for a walk around the park later. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/in-n-out-burger-huntington-beach

Actually, the HB Central Library is connected to the park, and there's an awesome water-fountain/study area where we could meet and chat, no purchases required!!  The water sounds are at the perfect level where you can hear your party talking, but you don't disturb or overhear the people around you.  They're open on Saturdays until 5, and we could sit inside or walk through the park as desired:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/huntington-beach-central-library-huntington-beach

From what I saw earlier in the thread, though, it seems like a lot of people are from Irvine… would either of these places be a convenient location for the people who are interested in this meeting?

And what dates are looking good for people?  The next two Saturdays (Feb 6th/13th) are out for me, unfortunately, but we probably need more planning time anyway.  Maybe the 20th?  27th?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:30 PM »
Don't be too quick to judge! Many people here might use Starbucks as their one cheat or they just happen to get a lot of gift cards!

Don’t worry… I wouldn’t have much to stand on if I judged Starbucks drinkers.  It’s one of my cheats, too!  :P 

I just anticipated virtual face-punches if I actually suggested it to a group of Mustachians...  :)

The one without a long line ;)! Not around for an OC meet up myself but you guys might want to check out HB Central Park. Good easy walking with dogs allowed (except in the nature center) and a couple of outdoor restaurants for coffee. Also an In and Out down the street a mile.

I agree with spartana!  Shortest line!!   :P

Seriously, though, the HB Central Park is awesome, and that In-N-Out nearby would be a great spot to meet.  It’s hard to miss!  We could meet up for burgers, and then maybe go for a walk around the park later. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/in-n-out-burger-huntington-beach

Actually, the HB Central Library is connected to the park, and there's an awesome water-fountain/study area where we could meet and chat, no purchases required!!  The water sounds are at the perfect level where you can hear your party talking, but you don't disturb or overhear the people around you.  They're open on Saturdays until 5, and we could sit inside or walk through the park as desired:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/huntington-beach-central-library-huntington-beach

From what I saw earlier in the thread, though, it seems like a lot of people are from Irvine… would either of these places be a convenient location for the people who are interested in this meeting?

And what dates are looking good for people?  The next two Saturdays (Feb 6th/13th) are out for me, unfortunately, but we probably need more planning time anyway.  Maybe the 20th?  27th?
Potentially down! I've had fun meeting mustachians in person so far, but the mustachian in me notices that there are like 15 In  N Outs in between there and here. lol

Doesn't HB have fire pits? Could do bonfire / s'mores. :)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Sounds good to me. I can't do hikes so as long as it doesn't conflict with anything I can't change, count me in.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
Sounds good... Don't know if I'd make it out but fyi the 91 is closed the weekend of Feb 19-21

Ad Victoriam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: February 05, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »
... the mustachian in me notices that there are like 15 In  N Outs in between there and here. lol

Yeah... this is why I was asking if these were convenient locations for everyone involved.  I don't mind driving a bit to meet other mustachians, and it makes sense to find a place that's closest to the largest number of people attending.

I also have a few ice-breaker type board/card games (Exploding Kittens, anyone?), that could be fun to play as a group, if we're somewhere with a table to work with (library/In-N-Out/whatever).

Sounds good... Don't know if I'd make it out but fyi the 91 is closed the weekend of Feb 19-21

Good to know!  So maybe Feb 27th or March 5th?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
... the mustachian in me notices that there are like 15 In  N Outs in between there and here. lol

Yeah... this is why I was asking if these were convenient locations for everyone involved.  I don't mind driving a bit to meet other mustachians, and it makes sense to find a place that's closest to the largest number of people attending.

I also have a few ice-breaker type board/card games (Exploding Kittens, anyone?), that could be fun to play as a group, if we're somewhere with a table to work with (library/In-N-Out/whatever).

Good to know!  So maybe Feb 27th or March 5th?

I might be a bit concerned about getting too loud in a library.  I'm good with driving to HB. I don't mind driving a bit, I've driven a lot further than HB to meet mustachians. Plus, If I'm driving to experience Exploding Kittens rather than to eat an In N Out burger, it's suddenly become a lot more exciting. :)

It probably depends on the In N Out though, some of those places are jam packed and they probably need the tables available for turnover.

On the 19th-21st, the 91 is only closed between the 71 and the 15 in Corona. There should be some delays, but I can't imagine it would be that bad on the coastal side of things. I'll be staying in OC that weekend to escape the traffic madness.

travisantonissen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »
Hello, I live in the Orange County area, I would like to meet up as well.

Am I invited? I"m a die-hard mustachian.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
Hello, I live in the Orange County area, I would like to meet up as well.

Am I invited? I"m a die-hard mustachian.

Haha, everyone is invited!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »
No fire pits but barbeques. The west side of the park  (between Goldenwest and Edwards) has some near the dog park and some near the lake and restaurant and scattered about between nature center, frisbee  golf course, and horse stables and trails.. Most might be taken weekends though but doesn't get too crowded. I'm not sure about the east/library side (Goldenwest and Gothard) tough but probably some as its the bigger side. The In and Out is on Talbert and Beach Blvd.

FYI, According to this link, HB does have fire pits at:

Huntington City Beach
Huntington State Beach
Bolsa Chica State Beach

http://www.huntingtonbeachevents.com/firepit.html

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »
No fire pits but barbeques. The west side of the park  (between Goldenwest and Edwards) has some near the dog park and some near the lake and restaurant and scattered about between nature center, frisbee  golf course, and horse stables and trails.. Most might be taken weekends though but doesn't get too crowded. I'm not sure about the east/library side (Goldenwest and Gothard) tough but probably some as its the bigger side. The In and Out is on Talbert and Beach Blvd.

FYI, According to this link, HB does have fire pits at:

Huntington City Beach
Huntington State Beach
Bolsa Chica State Beach

http://www.huntingtonbeachevents.com/firepit.html
Yeah all the Beach's have tons of fire pits so you could have a big bonfire there but the park only has barbeques. It's also free parking at the park but $15/vehicle at the state Beaches unless you have a state park pass. Newport and Balboa also gave fire pits but not as many as Huntington and they also have paid parking. If you guys are looking for an easy walking cheap meet up HB state or city beach, Central Park, or Bolsa Chica Wetlands are all good.  Just byo food. Irvine and other more central areas probablt have similair parks. If you want a long hike probably Whiting Ranch or similar.

The person who wanted In N Out specifically wanted less physical activity than a hike, so I was just trying to throw something out there that is both fun and sedentary. :)

I mean, yeah,it totally costs to park, and to buy firewood, and ingredients to cook/ s'mores...but i'm still down with the exploding kittens idea if someone has an idea for a meeting spot...if the in n out is conducive for that environment, then I'm for it....

travisantonissen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
are there any dates locked in yet? I wanna put it on my calendar before I forget.

Travis A.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »
I don't think that 's been decided. Someone make a decision. :)

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Saturday, March 5th please.  I'm up for an active day or a chill one.  Just getting to hang out with fellow Mustachians is what it's all about!

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #367 on: February 23, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
I'll be in the area Sunday March 13, if the 5th isn't chosen.

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
I can do the 5th and the 13th.  Perhaps one can be outdoors and the other indoors to accommodate people's varying fitness levels?  Whiting Ranch one weekend and In-&-Out in HB on the other? 

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
Good idea! If it works out for everyone else,  I'd prefer to do Whiting Ranch on the 13th since that is close to where I am staying.

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
Thanks SeaEhm!  Alright - Sunday, March 13th at Whiting Ranch (meet at the nice shaded grass area at the entrance to the park). 

What time works for everyone?  If El Nino decides to grace us with its presence, we can meet at the Foothill Ranch In-&-Out for lunch instead (11:30am before the rush?) as a backup plan.  Let's get a count of how many can make it below...? 

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
Pretty sure I can make it. Is my dog welcome?

<edit> google tells me my dog has to stay home. </edit>
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:52:53 PM by oldladystache »

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »
Is anyone up for meeting early in the morning for a hike or whatever at Whiting?  Just found out my cousin's wife is throwing him a surprise birthday luncheon on the 13th so I've got a family obligation at 12:30pm now.  I swear...best laid plans, LOL! 

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2016, 05:50:02 PM »
Possibly but early is a relative term, what time are you thinking? Would it need to be earlier than 10 am? What time would you need to leave?
We could meet somewhere other than Whiting if that works better for you
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:05:01 PM by Almosthw »

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2016, 11:42:03 PM »
Almosthw - thanks for the reply!  Early for me would be 8am but perhaps MMM readers aren't early birds.  No worries, I'll catch up with you folks at the next meetup:-)     

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2016, 01:14:02 AM »
Well, a time hasn't been set yet.... What time did everyone else want to meet?  If the group wants to go early, I will do it!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 05, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »
I could do an 8 am hike on Saturdays or Sundays depending on where it is/how long of a drive it is for me.  Just tell me when and where. I did a bit of Skyline in Corona this morning, it was awesome, lots of friendly people mulling about - dirt bikers, dog walkers, runners pushing strollers, kids, retirees.......I barely found a parking spot!

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2016, 10:44:49 PM »
Hi TJ,

Here's the address I pulled off the OC Parks website - http://ocparks.com/parks/whiting/

Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park
Borrego Parking Lot
26701 Portola Parkway, Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

Is everyone okay for an 8am hike then next Sunday, 3/13?  *Crosses fingers that it doesn't rain!* 

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
Since I can't hike you can go without me.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi TJ,

Here's the address I pulled off the OC Parks website - http://ocparks.com/parks/whiting/

Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park
Borrego Parking Lot
26701 Portola Parkway, Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

Is everyone okay for an 8am hike then next Sunday, 3/13?  *Crosses fingers that it doesn't rain!*

sure, i'll do it if it doesnt rain.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
Same with me, I'll plan to be there with my husband

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2016, 11:22:59 PM »
According to the Whiting Ranch website (http://ocparks.com/parks/whiting/), the trails may be closed for up to three days following rain.  I see that it's supposed to rain on Friday night but hopefully, it won't be too heavy.  See you all at 8am on the 13th!  If the trails happen to be closed, we can grab a coffee somewhere close by.  How will we all recognize one another?  This is the first MMM meetup I'll be attending so I don't know how you all normally do it.   

oldladystache
- I'm up for another outing that doesn't involve physical activity.  Sitting around chatting about finances and other interesting topics sounds dandy as well.  Where would you and/or "exploding kittens" fans like meet up one weekend this month or next? 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
With losing an hour Saturday night and a concert on Saturday night, i'm likely going to have to pass...just too early for me. :D

Batastrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: March 11, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »
Is this still happening? I guess I'm an "Old 'Stache" at 47, but into hiking. Lemme know and thanks!

Oldladystache - if i can't make this one, up for a subdued evening next month discussing the nuances of personal finance!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: March 11, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
It's raining pretty good, just have to see how that goes this weekend. If I wake up on time, I'll head out there to hang out.

As far as recognizing people, you could send PM's or you could trade phone numbers if no web access on your phone.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #385 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:10 PM »
I'm still want to meet! Should we forgo hiking due to rain and instead meet at a breakfast type place? Would surfin' donuts in Mission Viejo work  (Trabuco Rd)?   8 am?  I am open to whatever the group wants to do just throwing it out there...

Batastrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »
We OC Mustachians seem to be oddly indecisive. Someone call it and I'll be there!

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:47 PM »
I definitely still want to meet up as well so I'll go ahead and call it:-).  Since it rained pretty heavily today, Whiting Ranch is probably going to be closed. 

I like Almosthw's idea.  Let's meet at 8am at Surfin' Doughnuts (that's the place I Yelped for coffee if we couldn't hike so it must be a sign):

26861 Trabuco Rd.
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

I'll be wearing my Notre Dame Fighting Irish sweatshirt in honor of St. Patty's Day so you can spot me.  See you all there! 

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: March 11, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »
oldladystache - hope to see you there since we're kicking back with coffees!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
I definitely still want to meet up as well so I'll go ahead and call it:-).  Since it rained pretty heavily today, Whiting Ranch is probably going to be closed. 

I like Almosthw's idea.  Let's meet at 8am at Surfin' Doughnuts (that's the place I Yelped for coffee if we couldn't hike so it must be a sign):

26861 Trabuco Rd.
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

I'll be wearing my Notre Dame Fighting Irish sweatshirt in honor of St. Patty's Day so you can spot me.  See you all there!

Nice. I will post here tomorrow am if i plan on coming...if I don't, just assume i overslept. haha.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: March 12, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »
Great, thanks! See you there. My husband will wear a UCLA sweatshirt

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 12, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
OK, I'll go. I'm gonna aim for 8AM but who knows, I might be a little delayed, depending on traffic.

Don't know what I'll be wearing but my friend will be wearing a service dog vest.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: March 13, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
Well, that was very nice. Good to meet you all. It was worth getting up early for.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
I woke up at like 9:30 with this time change. Hopefully next time!

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
It was nice to meet you ladies as well! Looking forward to next time

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: March 14, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »
It was lovely meeting you all and thank you very much for the money and life tips!  In my consumer-ish group of friends, I'm the one who's always giving financial advice.  How refreshing to actually be on the receiving end for once! 

Plus, I loved how inadequate (don't worry, it's a good thing!) I felt yesterday morning.  Since I was the only one of the group that didn't own their home outright, it re-inspired me to pay that sucker down and get out of the rat race ASAP.

How about a hike or picnic in May that doesn't involve spending money so we stick to our MMM roots?  Humans, little humans and furry friends welcome...

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2016, 07:49:18 PM »
Hi All

My hubby and I are located in Long Beach and wanted to invite the OC and South Bay mustachians out to Seal beach to meet at the southern edge of Electric Ave Median Park. There is an arbor and some benches.

Would April 23rd or April 30th work better? Bring your own brunch. =)

I'll cross post in the LA board in case some South Bay mustachians are lurking there.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2016, 09:45:31 PM »
Hi All

My hubby and I are located in Long Beach and wanted to invite the OC and South Bay mustachians out to Seal beach to meet at the southern edge of Electric Ave Median Park. There is an arbor and some benches.

Would April 23rd or April 30th work better? Bring your own brunch. =)

I'll cross post in the LA board in case some South Bay mustachians are lurking there.

Either day works for me. And the location is perfect. About 3 miles from home.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:55 PM »
I will be in the area April 23 but wouldn't be available until the afternoon (since I will bargain shopping at the Ladera Ranch yard sales, mentioning in case anyone else is interested). Since you mentioned brunch, what time were you thinking?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
I will be in the area April 23 but wouldn't be available until the afternoon (since I will bargain shopping at the Ladera Ranch yard sales, mentioning in case anyone else is interested). Since you mentioned brunch, what time were you thinking?

More details on theyard sales! Is this a regular thing? What kinds of stuff have you acquired?