Author Topic: Orange County Meetup  (Read 185377 times)

surfhb

Re: Orange County Meetup
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »
yes

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #301 on: June 02, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »
count me in

WhoopWhoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: June 02, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
I might be available.

surfhb

« Reply #303 on: June 06, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
I say we go fishing.....El Nino is back and its going to be good.   

http://www.daveyslocker.com/Private_Rental_General_Admission.html?gclid=CJO_-JjF-8UCFUprfgodP1QAsw

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #304 on: June 06, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
I'm in but don't think I could do an extended fishing trip.

surfhb

« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »
Just the half day

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
Fishing sounds fun. And it's something different, which is nice.

Or else we can go hiking in a few weeks, which works as well. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: June 22, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
Oh man, just saw the last few posts about fishing. I *love* fishing. I'm in Irvine btw...

Anyone into or up for some surf fishing? You do need to have a license on you for that. Pier fishing is free but I don't like sitting at the pier all day watching to see if the rod tip twitches.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
Oh man, just saw the last few posts about fishing. I *love* fishing. I'm in Irvine btw...

Anyone into or up for some surf fishing? You do need to have a license on you for that. Pier fishing is free but I don't like sitting at the pier all day watching to see if the rod tip twitches.

Never tried surf fishing before, but it looks like fun.  We never did end up doing a June meetup, so maybe a July meetup is in order.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: June 22, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »

Never tried surf fishing before, but it looks like fun.  We never did end up doing a June meetup, so maybe a July meetup is in order.

It is fun but you do have to get up a bit earlier so that can be a committment. Anywhere between 4am through 9am is usually ideal before the crowds start forming. I've found that 7am and onward is where the surfers start showing up in full force. But this is all at Newport Beach too... not sure if there are any emptier beaches that would be better (maybe Huntington, Bolsa Chica, Sunset, Seal, etc). Laguna Beach is pretty much off-limits due to MLPA restrictions. Crystal Cove could be another option but there's an entrance fee for cars (same with HB/BC too but there are places to park and walk). I guess it just depends on how "Mustachian" you want to get in regards to spending money. 

LaserCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
Hey folks!

I was debating posting this in the "questions" section but, I thought this might be a better location instead. (I can always delete it and move it if I need to) in any case, there's a decent possibility that I might be landing a job in Irvine, if I do get the job I really hope I can come for one the meet ups!

So my question is, I've lived most of my adult life without a car and everyone keeps telling me that LA and orange county is impossible to live in without a car. I keep insisting that I hear that Irvine is very bikeable, and I see that there are plenty of neighborhoods near the Metrolink or near bus lines. Can any of you fine folks recommend any walkable, bikeable neighborhoods in the orange county area or near the inland Empire (pink), or orange county (orange) Metrolink lines? I'd like to get a house and split it with roommates, live near some sort of nature (even rural or near a big park would be nice option), near a library, farmers markets, and art, culture, and neighborhood festivals.

I was thinking Laguna Beach (maybe seems too far), the city of Orange, Irvine, Corona/Riverside or Santa Ana. My friends have said that Huntington Beach and Long Beach seem more my style but it seems like a long commute on bike or bus to Irvine?

In any case, thank you so much for any help you can give!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:53:44 PM by LaserCat »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »
OC is impossible without a car. LA is better, but still difficult..

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
I'd like to get a house and split it with roommates, live near some sort of nature (even rural or near a big park would be nice option), near a library, farmers markets, and art, culture, and neighborhood festivals.
You think all of that exists in a walkable neighborhood in Southern California? lol. In all seriousness, though, unless you're living in a beach community (and have no reason to leave it), you're probably not going to find most of your wish list in a walkable/transit-friendly area. But beach living can be very pricy.

What's your price range for housing? The areas you mentioned vary drastically in price. An 3 bedroom house in Laguna area is like $4k-5k/month, and it takes an hour by bus to get to Irvine. Irvine housing might be more like $2-3k, and Riverside might be even less.

If you're interested in the transit times (without car), search Google maps for directions and then change the icon at the upper left to the bus (which shows transit times).

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2015, 12:48:03 AM »
Depending on what bikable means to you, Costa Mesa isn't a bad option. The Back Bay is there (along with Fairview Park on the other end of town), Newport Public Library (Mariners and Central) are close-ish, there's a Farmer's Market in the fairgrounds on weekends, and it's reasoanbly close to Irvine as well. I used to live in Costa Mesa in an apartment off Bristol and Red Hill which was pretty nice.

Not as much art, culture, and festivals though. Sorry.

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
I live in Corona del Mar and bike to work in Irvine on occasion. Its 5.5 miles door to door for me, but it depends where in Irvine your job is located.

Carona del Mar has a small farmers market and is close to the Newport Beach library which is great. Its further away from the bars nightlife than Costa Mesa though and is more expensive. All depends on your priorities.

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2015, 12:57:32 PM »
What people have alluded to is that Irvine is a fairly large city. I live walking distance to North Irvine, but was not considering a job near Irvine Spectrum because that's ~10 miles away. My office is in Santa Ana, but walkable within a mile to Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Tustin.

Laguna or Corona del Mar would have the culture you're looking for (at a steep price), but would not be optimal for an Irvine commute, maybe if you were near UCI. I second Costa Mesa or even Downtown Santa Ana as likely doable for your commute, ~affordable, and with some of the culture you're interested in. City of Orange is great with character and some amenities you're looking for, but I don't think you'd bode well there w/o a car. Don't consider the Inland Empire.

Irvine's not all that bad, but being a master-planned community it just feels odd at times.

LaserCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Hey mustachians!

I promise you that I haven't been ignoring you all and I truly appreciate the help. In fact I've been spending the last few days scouring the Internet, determining which places would be best for me. You've been really helpful with your suggestions, and I've been checking them out online. (Craig's list, Google transit, Google biking, Street view etc.)

I've sort of realized that orange county and LA is totally different from any other place that I have lived in the country, and since I love hiking and naturalist activities, I've determined that living without a car will really limit my opportunity to meet new people and join meet ups etc. outside of work if I decide to keep my car-free life-style. 

So as any mustachian I want to set aside as much money as possible towards financial independence, so if this possibility becomes a reality I wanted to try to continue living without a car to cut down on my expenses as much as possible so I could set aside 50% of my income. My price range for my portion of the home (depending on how many bedrooms it has) was somewhere between $800-$1300 a month.  I really like rural living and city living but I'm not a big fan of your typical suburban atmosphere. (strip malls and big box stores etc)

One last question for you all, If I get a car, other than Trabuco Canyon, is there any other place near orange county that offers a more rural lifestyle? A place where I could have a backyard garden. If any of you guys know let me know and again, seriously, thank you for all of your help!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:06:43 PM by LaserCat »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Hey mustachians!

I promise you that I haven't been ignoring you all and I truly appreciate the help. In fact I've been spending the last few days scouring the Internet, determining which places would be best for me. You've been really helpful with your suggestions, and I've been checking them out online. (Craig's list, Google transit, Google biking, Street view etc.)

I've sort of realized that orange county and LA is totally different from any other place that I have lived in the country, and since I love hiking and naturalist activities, I've determined that living without a car will really limit my opportunity to meet new people and join meet ups etc. outside of work if I decide to keep my car-free life-style. 

So as any mustachian I want to set aside as much money as possible towards financial independence, so if this possibility becomes a reality I wanted to try to continue living without a car to cut down on my expenses as much as possible so I could set aside 50% of my income. My price range for my portion of the home (depending on how many bedrooms it has) was somewhere between $800-$1300 a month.  I really like rural living and city living but I'm not a big fan of your typical suburban atmosphere.

One last question for you all, If I get a car, other than Trabuco Canyon, is there any other place near orange county that offers a more rural lifestyle? A place where I could have a backyard garden. If any of you guys know let me know and again, seriously, thank you for all of your help!

You're not going to find backyards in the urban areas. I wouldn't really consider any part of Southern California "rural". Maybe 30 years ago, but not today, there's been quite a bit of development and they continue to develop - the growth in the IE is a bit insane.

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
I thought some places in Riverside had bigger yards? 

But yes most places here in Irvine don't have any form of a yard.

Why are you moving here?  For the job?  I just ask because it's a HCOL area.  I pay $2020/month for a 700 sq ft apartment in Irvine to give you an idea.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »

Why are you moving here?  For the job?  I just ask because it's a HCOL area.  I pay $2020/month for a 700 sq ft apartment in Irvine to give you an idea.

Riverside has some big houses/big yards, but they aren't cheap. There are also a lot of apartments in Riverside. Living in Riverside and working in Irvine would be a very brutal experience, even if you found a way to make it worth metrolink.

LaserCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
I'm going to have to find a happy medium.  As for a yard, it doesn't have to be a big yard.  Even a patio I can put some containers out on would be alright, I just really enjoy vegetable gardening.  =)  You guys have been a big help thank you!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:32:40 PM by LaserCat »

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Riverside has some big houses/big yards, but they aren't cheap. There are also a lot of apartments in Riverside. Living in Riverside and working in Irvine would be a very brutal experience, even if you found a way to make it worth metrolink.

I knew a guy that did it and he hated his life.  Even in a Vanpool he said it was terrible.  I purposely paid a little more to live in Irvine to be closer to work and avoid the drag that is commuting.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »

I knew a guy that did it and he hated his life.  Even in a Vanpool he said it was terrible.  I purposely paid a little more to live in Irvine to be closer to work and avoid the drag that is commuting.

Living in Irvine and working in Riverside would be a drag, to do the reverse would be torture.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
I'm looking to work in OC (hopefully sooner rather than later), and if/when I finally do, I'd love to join in a meetup!

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »
Best of luck kittycat. Look forward to you joining us, mustachians seem to be a rarity in these parts!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
There hasn't been a meetup in a while- anyone interested in a September meetup?

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »
If it doesn't involve hiking or mountain climbing I'm interested.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
Yes! Always up for a meet up.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
There hasn't been a meetup in a while- anyone interested in a September meetup?

I'd be down for kayaking or paddle boarding if anyone is in.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: September 02, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »
Kayaking might be fun- or maybe a low-key hike.

How about next weekend?

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
Down for next weekend. Kayaking or hike sounds great.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »
Maybe Sunday the 13th? I have plans in San Diego on Saturday the 12th. Not sure if I'll be driving back up that night or staying down there.

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
If it's on Sunday, I'm down to meet up. I'm out in the San Gabriel Valley, but don't mind driving.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Sunday the 12th sounds good, if people are still interested in meeting up.  Should have cooled down a bit by then.

Maybe just a low key hike in the Back Bay?  Or there's always the dollar move theater, if we want A/C.

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »
Hike sounds good, as long as we're under 100 degrees!

clayster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2015, 07:59:27 AM »
Hey everyone. Long-time lurker of MMM website and finally joined the forum. Has there been any recent OC meetups or could we squeeze one in before all of the holidays start (might be great to discuss MMM gifts for family etc.) Let me know. Thanks!

Clay

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: October 23, 2015, 07:27:13 PM »
We tried to throw one together last month.. but it fell apart at the planning stages.
Gotta put in some lead time and get details hashed out so we have a concrete plan...

clayster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
How many people seemed interested before? If we threw out a date first, such as November 14th, before we decided where, maybe that would help.

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
I could meet up on the 14th

NinjaSue (Yearofsue)

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2015, 01:08:31 AM »
I am interested in but can't fully commit right now to  Nov 14

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
The 14th sounds like a good date.  We can start organizing something now, since people are interested.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
I might be in, it's 50-50 right now as I will be moving locations and that will be the last weekend to be completely moved out.
Should be completely done before that date comes around... should be...

clayster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
Alright, lets get together even if very small on the 14th.

Maybe a park with a view, Castaways Park in Newport Beach?

Meet for a beer . . . I am up for anything.

Clay

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
Anyone interested in a short hike tomorrow? 

clayster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2015, 09:30:54 AM »
Dang, headed out of town this weekend that's why I was shooting for next weekend. Where are you headed?

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Something short and easy, like Peter's Canyon.

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Sorry I"m going to have bail on the 14th got some family coming in town. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »
Hello,

Are there any OC Mustachians out there who need to update their resumes and LinkedIn profiles like me?  I need someone to hold me accountable to actually doing it!  I live in Tustin and can meet at a local library one Saturday morning or afternoon.  Anyone in the same boat?   

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
Wow!  There are so many people in Orange County in this place! 

Looks like a lot of outdoorsy people as well.

I'd suggest going to Red Rock Canyon in Whiting Ranch.  Doesn't even feel like Orange County. 

From Google Images

This looks awesome.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
Happy New Year everyone!!  We haven't had a meetup in a while, so... anyone interested in a January meetup?