Author Topic: Vancouver Island (again!!)  (Read 19864 times)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
Re: Vancouver Island (again!!)
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
Yes, great to meet up and chat with nice people.
JS , hiked to the top of Mt Maxwell on Salt Spring Island today and waved at you from the summit :)

Ridiculous morning waiting for the ferry to the Vesuvius terminal at 8am , couldn't stop snapping pics.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
Hi again

Yes, great meetup, great pub.  I am in awe of the food attitudes on the island - I haven't seen so much wonderful food since I left Quebec (sorry Ontario).  I have now tasted bigleaf maple syrup and maple honey (honey from nectar collected just from maple flowers, not something we can do here).  And 2% sugar instead of 4% in the sap, no wonder the syrup is so expensive, that is a major boil.  And no snow -> no taffy on snow, big loss.

I was sorry not to be able to do the Victoria meetup, but on the ferry I found out there was a  mix-up in my Sunday night reservations, and I was really glad to be early-ish and sober to deal with the mess.  ;-(   Then Monday morning I found out my flight was rerouted, I spent forever in Calgary airport (time for a meetup if we had known ahead of time!) and got home at 2 AM (counting the car ride) instead of 9:30 PM, which also meant the snow had started.  And, yes, my driveway is literally a skating rink, the ice was gleaming in the car headlights.  As I stood freezing outside the terminal waiting for my ride I kept wondering - "why am I living here? Oh right, I can move."  And then my ride kept talking about all the people he knows who had moved to Vancouver Island and Vancouver and hated it, or were not welcomed by locals and were made to feel like outsiders, and I kept thinking - "How can this be the same place I had so much fun in and was so welcomed?"  Very weird.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »
Popping in from south of the border to say glad you guys also got the beautiful weather today and had a great meetup over the weekend.  I hope to make it up to one of the Canadian get togethers one of these days -- probably not until DS makes it through the second half of his academic program, though. I have an aunt and uncle who live near Victoria, so hopefully you won't object to my passport too much.  I've always wished I'd been born a Canadian....

For goodness sakes, if you find yourself in the South Island area at some point, advertise this fact LOUDLY around these parts. I bet there are a few members here who would love to show you around...and a day trip to a certain little island in the Salish Sea could also prove to be fun for lhamo-clan too...I would make sure of that. :)

And I am also curious about your last statement - what about Canada kind of  makes you wish you were one of us?

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »
I just found this meetup thread!  I'm heading out to Victoria in just a couple of days (February 12th and will be there for a week).  My husband and I like to go two or three times a year to check out properties, but we'd prefer to live in an urban area so Victoria is a likely choice.

Save some fish and chips for me!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Hi

This meetup is over, but there is another thread planning a meetup closer to Victoria (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/victoria-bc-late-winter-meet-up-2016/).  Can't be better than ours, the company and pub were awesome, but it can come close. Have fun.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!