Author Topic: Oahu/ Hawaiian islands  (Read 5139 times)

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Oahu/ Hawaiian islands
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
Good morning all you fine people out there. I am sure there are a handful of you our here on the Hawaiian Islands. Any of you all interested in a meet up sometime in the future?

thedickinsons873

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Oahu/ Hawaiian islands
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
Hey! I'm in Honolulu and would love to be a part of a meetup.
-Christine

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:11 AM »
Hawaii Island here...

mikeasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
I'm in Kaneohe and interested in a meetup!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
Oh man I was on Oahu last week..

Check out Nords, he is there. Smart guy, great to get to know.

Ellipsis_has_expired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
I'd go to a meet-up here! I'm in Honolulu. Actually met up with Nords for the first time last week for surfing.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »
I had a great time out there, too, Ellipsis-- thanks for contacting me!  I followed that up on Monday with over four hours among Yolfer's family at White Plains, and I should have known better than to paddle out on Tuesday at Pyramid Rock (Kaneohe). 

I'm on island up through the beginning of May, but after that my spouse and I will be stalking military Space A flights to the Mainland. 

We'd probably have to set up something on the evenings or weekends due to people's work schedules. 

If someone wants to learn how to surf, I'd prefer to meet at White Plains Beach.  As ExFlyBoy or Yolfer can attest, the waves are much closer to the beach (less paddling) and the break is much wider (less competition for the waves).  Conditions are best near dawn (before the wind picks up) but it's still fine during the rest of the day... just a 9.2 out of 10.0 instead a 9.8.

On a more educational note, we could also get together for a Mustachian seminar on saving or investing or rental properties (with a Hawaii focus).  I talk with military groups here a couple times a year.  We can do that just about anywhere on the island, and it could be with prospective Mustachians as well as with full-time ones.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
We will be back on island mid-July.  Husband is retiring from active duty and we will finally be putting down some roots.

I know he is anxious to get back on his board and would enjoy surfing White Plains sometime.  He was not a surfer when we met you, Nords, at the Kailua beach park MMM meet-up back in 2012 or 2013.

We would like to join a Mustachian seminar especially one focused on Hawaii real estate.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:28:36 PM by Splashncash »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
We will be back on island mid-July.  Husband is retiring from active duty and we will finally be putting down some roots.

I know he is anxious to get back on his board and would enjoy surfing White Plains sometime.  He was not a surfer when we met you, Nords, at the Kailua beach park MMM meet-up back in 2012 or 2013.

We would like to join a Mustachian seminar especially one focused on Hawaii real estate.
Outstanding!  I hope your transition goes well!  Let me know if you have questions about Tricare or VA disability claims or the bridge career search (if applicable) or anything else out here.

Hawaii real estate... I don't know when you were last here, but it's nuts.  It's not quite as crazy as early 2007, but I suspect the math is heavily tilted in favor of renting.  I would not rush out here in a hurry to buy a place.

We're on the Mainland from mid-May through the end of June.  We're not sure of our timeline after June because it depends on military Space A from Norfolk to Hawaii during summer vacation.  (Yeah, I bet we're flying commercial too.)  We expect to be back on the island before the end of July, because our eight-year tenants think they're moving out fo' realz then and this time they really mean it.  But they're month-to-month and not required to give notice until 30 days before, and they have a lot of stuff to try to move at the height of the summer military PCS season.  We're staying flexible.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:56 AM »
We're thick in the weeds of his transition/retirement.  I know we have questions so maybe a PM is in order.  No bridge career planned - just lots of surfing, meal prep, and kid wrangling.

We're moving back to the house we bought in 2014 so our interest in real estate is purely because we are real estate junkies.

Good luck with the month to month tenants.  We are dealing with the same thing with our mainland house.  Aye yi yi! 

crossfit_mike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »
Count me in for a meetup.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
Hawaii Island here...

Hey! Me too :)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
I'm in Salt Lake, Honolulu. Already know how to surf but two kids under 3 have kept me landlocked for a couple years. Would love to hear opinions about hawaii real estate, although my understanding is that it's not a great place for amateurs like myself, at least in the current market. We did buy a condo in 2015 as our primary residence, since we're pretty sure we'll be here for at least 5-10 more years. Renting was getting to be much more expensive than buying the equivalent, and every time I run the numbers on the NYT calculator we're in the clear by quite a bit.

Anyhow, coordinating a meetup is tricky due to the aforementioned small children, but we're not going anywhere so if somebody picked a time/place on Oahu we'd probably give it a shot.

tnevy4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 05:05:07 AM »
I'm supposed to be PCSing in the September/October timeframe and I am hoping it helps kick off my mustachian journey. I would love to meet up with anybody when the move is final

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 04:17:49 AM »
Hello Hawaii Mustachians,

I will be on my way through Pearl Harbor at the beginning of May for a few days, any advice on cheap places to stay for a frugal traveler (just one night)?  Also I'm up for some beautiful hiking, although I'm limited to Oahu, any suggestions?  The last time I came through on my way back from deployment I ended up in the tourist area of town and was very disappointed and quite a bit lighter in the pocket from the prices.

tnevy4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
Just stay at one of the offerings on base if you are able to

mikeasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
Jaayse,

I would stay at the new cabins at Bellows AFB. I think they require that you stay for a minimum of 2 days. I think they are around $100 a night depending on your rank. The Cottages on Kaneohe Bay are nice too. I would also suggest AirBnB or VRBO. You can probably rent a room for ~$75 a night. If you end up staying on Windward side, Makapuu is a good hike (some tourists), Lanikai pillbox or Puu ma eli eli in Kaneohe is also nice. Let me know if you need more help or stay Windward side.

mikeasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
Hi Nords, I'm newer to the island as well, but definitely want to learn to surf. Looks like I can rent a board for $5 an hour. Do you go there regularly?

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 04:38:49 AM »
Thanks Mike!  I signed up for AirBnB and hopefully I can fill out the information when I hit the next port.  Apparently you need cell phone coverage to make an account... a little hard to get in the middle of the ocean for some reason.  The prices look reasonable though, and much much cheaper than where everyone else is staying.

I'll keep in mind the windward side, maybe if I stock up at the Nex/commissary before heading out I will only have to pay for transportation one time there and back.  It seems there are a lot of places you can stay with Airbnb where you can use the bikes they have there for free (yay!).  All the hikes you suggested seem to start on the windward side, so staying there is probably a good idea.  I'll let you know if I decide to stay windward or not.

clumlee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
If there's a meetup, I'm down!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »
Hi Nords, I'm newer to the island as well, but definitely want to learn to surf. Looks like I can rent a board for $5 an hour. Do you go there regularly?
You bet, Mike, I'm at White Plains Beach 2-3 times per week, usually in the early morning.  Waves are generally cleaner earlier before the wind picks up.

Let me know if you want to meet me down there someday, and I'll bring along a 10'0" longboard (and rashguard) for you to learn on.  You'll want to bring the usual sunscreen and water for yourself.  My Thursday is already booked but I'm free the rest of this week and next week.

The Surf Shack (open at 10 AM) rents boards for $5/hour, and they have a huge inventory.  That's open to anyone with a military or DoD ID card.  They're the best way to try the sizes & shapes you like before you go to Kimo's Surf Hut in Kailua to pick your own good used board.  Kimo's is now run by a retired Marine with a great crew of shapers and repair experts.

By the way, this offer is available to all of you who can figure out a way to get to White Plains.  Just be able to swim.  If you can swim, then I can teach you what you'll need to do to surf.  I enjoy teaching (it makes me a better surfer), and it helps you find your own answers to the classic financial independence question "But... but what will I do all day?!?"

mikeasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
Nords, thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it. Unfortunately, I'm not retired yet. I work at MCBH M-F 6:30-2:30pm. Do you go on weekends at all? Is it too busy? If not, I can use some vacation time.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
Nords, thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it. Unfortunately, I'm not retired yet. I work at MCBH M-F 6:30-2:30pm. Do you go on weekends at all? Is it too busy? If not, I can use some vacation time.
Sure, Saturdays or Sundays are good.  I don't paddle out on weekends very often because they're more crowded, but pick a Saturday or Sunday morning and we'll give it a try. 

The first Saturday of every month is AccesSurf day.  It's very interesting to watch but the beach and the break are horrendously crowded on those days.  However that was last weekend so we have the rest of April to find a day!

kunate12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
If anyone wants to plan a meetup, count me in.  Nords was gracious enough to come talk to my company this week and reminded me how great it is to hang out with people that are like minded.  It's nice being able to talk to people that understand why I have no intent on working until I'm 65.

Thanks again for coming Nords.  Not sure many of my guys were receptive to the message, but if you got through to even 1% I'll count it as a win.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
If anyone wants to plan a meetup, count me in.  Nords was gracious enough to come talk to my company this week and reminded me how great it is to hang out with people that are like minded.  It's nice being able to talk to people that understand why I have no intent on working until I'm 65.

Thanks again for coming Nords.  Not sure many of my guys were receptive to the message, but if you got through to even 1% I'll count it as a win.
Thanks, Kunate, I had a good time talking with your troops!  I think only about 10% were interested (especially on a Friday afternoon before liberty) but you planted a seed.  When the students are ready for the teachers, they know where to find us.

It'll be interesting to see how many of them follow up with e-mail questions that they didn't want to ask in front of the whole classroom... or in front of the boss.  I've had a lot of that from other groups.

My favorite was the guy who said "I have a 401(k) but I don't know where it is or how much I have in it.  How do I get that money?"  It took a lot of guts to ask that question, and he's tracking down the paperwork now.  When he finds it I'll be happy to show him how to roll it over to wherever he decides to put it.

-------------------------

For those of you in the military (on Oahu), I'm happy to talk about financial independence with your group.  It takes a grand total of 45 minutes, I only talk for 30 minutes of that, and I stick around afterward to answer questions for as long as people have them.  I give out a one-page handout with all the info and advice, and I do not use PowerPoint.  We can meet on base or off-base (at a place like your local public library) and we can include families as well as servicemembers.  We can do it during working hours (which seems to be popular) or evenings/weekends.  I do several of them a year and of course they're free.

If you're not in the military then I'm still happy to talk with your group about financial independence.  We should figure out what points you want to make and how you want to do it. 

icebox92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
We are moving to Oahu in the September /  October timeframe and would be VERY interested in joining a meetup.  Count us in!

Also... Nords, you mention the possibility of your rental coming available this summer.  We are wanting to rent and are planning a house hunting trip in the August time frame.  Would you be willing to PM me some info on your rental.  If it does end up coming available, and the timing works out, maybe it would fit our needs? 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
We are moving to Oahu in the September /  October timeframe and would be VERY interested in joining a meetup.  Count us in!

Also... Nords, you mention the possibility of your rental coming available this summer.  We are wanting to rent and are planning a house hunting trip in the August time frame.  Would you be willing to PM me some info on your rental.  If it does end up coming available, and the timing works out, maybe it would fit our needs?
E komo mai Oahu, Icebox!

Check your PMs for more info on our rental.

icebox92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »

E komo mai Oahu, Icebox!

Got it, thanks!  Looking forward to discussing more, and regardless, we may take you up on some of those surfing lessons you talk about above! 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »

E komo mai Oahu, Icebox!

Got it, thanks!  Looking forward to discussing more, and regardless, we may take you up on some of those surfing lessons you talk about above!
Surfing lessons?  Anytime.  Brandon & Heather Turner of Bigger Pockets were here all April, and he wanted to "surf as much as humanly possible".  We met that challenge.

I just sent you another PM.  If the forum software lets me do it, I'll try to attach a PDF of our floorplan:

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
Anyone live on Kauai? I would love to do a meet-up and share ideas for living a frugal life on Kauai. My wife and I live in the Denver area during the summer. I might try to meet up with the Fort Collins group during the summer.

niana520

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »
Hi there! Did you guys end up meeting up? Would love to join and there's another one in the near future. Read these blogs, forums off and on for about 2 years, but now I really do want to get serious.