Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208577 times)

peppermint

• Stubble
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
That works for me.

I dorked out and made a spreadsheet to help organize Aug 30/Labour Day meetup. Please contribute:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytAUDk26PdmevgA6hJhYfze-8C6pE68jw0ZwvYqzexs/edit?usp=sharing

I put down the names of people who relatively recently expressed interest in a triangle meetup - will message them if they don't see this...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
That works for me.

I dorked out and made a spreadsheet to help organize Aug 30/Labour Day meetup. Please contribute:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytAUDk26PdmevgA6hJhYfze-8C6pE68jw0ZwvYqzexs/edit?usp=sharing

I put down the names of people who relatively recently expressed interest in a triangle meetup - will message them if they don't see this...
You've got it in read-only mode for guests, I can't edit.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
Sorry! It should be fixed now.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
That works for me.

Thanks for organizing, just need to confirm if my husband is coming, then I will respond.

lauraah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the PM Peppermint to let me know about this.  Unfortunately, I am moving on the 30th and will not be able to make it.  On the up side, I'm buying a house in Durham, so I should be around for a while.  I'd love to go to a Mustachian meetup, so hopefully another one will come up soon!

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
So sorry that I am out, we are going camping which I completely forgot about.

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:53 AM »
Hi! Thanks for the PM. I am free on Saturday, so this works for me. Just let me what time and what I should bring. :) I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow mustachians.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:15 AM »
Hi! Thanks for the PM. I am free on Saturday, so this works for me. Just let me what time and what I should bring. :) I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow mustachians.
I like fire's idea of meeting at his place and then taking one car there, because parking really does fill up fast. Let's say meet there at 10am? In my experience, the afternoon is way harder to find a spot because that's when every college student in the Triangle is now awake.

As to what to bring: swimsuit, drinking water, sunscreen & hat, floats if you have them (I'll have on or two extra).

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
I technically have no plans at this point but I have a few family events that may need my presence on Saturday.  So I'm a definite maybe lol. 

I'm coming from central Raleigh (Beltline at Capital Blvd) if any others are making the trek up to Durham and want to drive or ride with me if I end up going. 

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
Morning's fine with me. Paul, do you want to carpool from central Durham? I think you live very nearby, I can come get you. But I don't have your contact info anymore.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
PM sent to everyone who responded as yes or maybe. If anyone else wants to come at the last minute respond here or PM me and I'll add you to the PM thread.

spruce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
I live in Durham and I just saw this. Can't make it tomorrow but would love to get together with some Mustachians at some point! Please include me on future threads.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
10am works for me and we can meet at my place.  I'll PM the yeses with the address.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
Had a good time, always nice to see new faces. Thanks everyone for putting up with my ornery dog... she got a bath as soon as we got home.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »
Glad you made it out, jpo.  We had a good turnout with myself, jpo, Paul Der Krake, peppermint, and Bourbon Belle and all got to hangout at the quarry in Eno on a beautiful day.  We'll have to organize something else in the near future before there's no more warm weather.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
Ack!!! Would have loved to make it.... didn't find this thread until today.  +1 for planning another meeting soon!!

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2014, 05:13:35 AM »
I had a great time yesterday, it was great to meet you all. Looking forward to another get together - before Christmas! ;)

earlybird

« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »
Darn! I've been away from the forums and didn't see this till today! Glad y'all had fun and maybe I can make it next time.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
So it's a lovely warm day and Durham Beerfest is on in town which reminded me of the NC MMM crew. Anyone wanna go to the quarry again soon before fall makes it too cold to swim?

RayLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Hey all! We live in Chapel Hill and would love to attend a meet up in the Triangle area. Maybe something outdoorsy before it gets crazy-cold? I saw in past discussions that a bunch of NC people have dogs - I'd be down to do a Pup-stachian meet up, too!

Anna&Trevor

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Alright y'all. What about the Saturday before Thanksgiving, the 22nd?

List of potential activities, in no particular order, just a brain dump, suggestions welcome:
- drinking beer
- park outing
- potluck
- defy gravity (just kidding)
- bike ride around some town
- ice skating, if it takes us another 3 months to figure something out

So far we've done Raleigh and Durham (twice if the quarry counts as Durham), so we could do CH this time.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2014, 06:17:07 AM »
I can't do 11/22, I will be climbing at Pilot Mountain, but it's just a daytrip. Otherwise I'd like to meet up, any of those ideas sound fun!

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »
If there is a meetup closer to Charlotte I'd love to join!  Triangle area is a little far for a day trip.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
Bumping this for a Triangle meetup if there's still interest. I propose going for drinks, for simplicity's sake, but I'm open.
What do you guys think?

brownap04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
Just moved to the Raleigh-Durham area, would definitely be interested in a Triangle meetup!

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Someone is considering moving to the Raleigh NC area. Maybe a few of us would care to comment. I lived in Raleigh for a while but it was 10 years ago.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/raleigh-north-carolina/

Stash in Progress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
Hello all,

My girlfriend (27) and I (29) just moved to Charlotte a month ago and we don't know one here. We would like to meet people here and MMM seems like a great filter to meet friends who are frugal. Let me know if you would like to meet up.

mandies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Durham/Raleigh area folks here with 2 kids (3 and 6) -- we could do a meetup with or without them. Just let us know when/where!

Blahhhh456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
Hey - live in CLT and would love to meetup with like-minded folks in the area.

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
Raleigh area couple in our thirties with a toddler would love to meet up with other local Mustachians.

I would totally meet up without the baby, but if anyone else is interested in a kid friendly event that would be really exciting.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
Sounds like we have enough critical mass for another attempt!

Where would everyone like to go? It's little cold to go swimming, so now is the time for everyone to pitch their favorite bar, restaurant, or any other building that can accommodate a small group.

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
Keeping this alive as I would be interested. Perhaps those in Charlotte would like to meet uptown at a train stop? It's fun to walk around uptown.

Anyone use Meetup.com? I'm considering create a Mustache group for this purpose.

http://www.meetup.com/

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2015, 06:17:32 AM »
Sounds like we have enough critical mass for another attempt!

Where would everyone like to go? It's little cold to go swimming, so now is the time for everyone to pitch their favorite bar, restaurant, or any other building that can accommodate a small group.

If people want to bring their kids, maybe the science museum in Raleigh? It's a fun place, free, has kid stuff.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
If people want to bring their kids, maybe the science museum in Raleigh? It's a fun place, free, has kid stuff.

Great idea, and one I thought about suggesting for kids (but didn't!).  There's also the grassy plaza nearby at the Capitol for picnics (or one of 2 restaurants/lounges inside the museum where you can brown bag if you want or buy cheap food). 

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2015, 07:05:31 AM »
I'm in Western NC, but if something was put together for Charlotte it would be fun to make the trip!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2015, 04:12:01 PM »
I'm in Charlotte so if anything ever gets planned let me know via PM and I'll be there. 

Plenty to do in this town.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
Keeping this alive as I would be interested. Perhaps those in Charlotte would like to meet uptown at a train stop? It's fun to walk around uptown.

Anyone use Meetup.com? I'm considering create a Mustache group for this purpose.

http://www.meetup.com/

That would be pretty cool. It could be listed as frugal or thrifty and maybe we'd find some non-MMM people that happen to have the same values.

wmmmb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Raleigh (almost 2 years), new to this thread (now), and new to MMM (< 1 year). I'd really like to try and attend the next get together you all have in the area and learn more about your strategies and successes. Currently married with no kids (yet) but on our way towards an early retirement.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:31 AM »
Hello! Just popping in here again to see if we can get around to organizing a Triangle meetup. There's still the science museum idea, or now that the spring weather is getting nice, lots of outdoor options.

ThreadPacifist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2015, 04:15:20 AM »
Hey all, I'm in the Wilmington area, but I would be interested in a meet-up in the Raleigh area if one was organized.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
New proposed meetup date: May 16, 2015 (Saturday) at 11am

Where?

Sarah P Duke Gardens, in Durham. Kid friendly, dogs allowed with leash. Plenty of space everywhere at this time of day. The crowds only really show up after 3pm.

What?

Potluck brunch. We all need to eat (if you don't, please come anyway and tell me your secret), so bring whatever you want. It shouldn't be too hot at this time of day, and there are shaded areas. Should it rain, I am willing to host indoors at my nearby apartment as a backup.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
Awesome I thought! 

Then realized our 3 kids have dental appointments at 11 am exactly the same day.  And we're going out of the country not long after that for 2 months and might not be able to reschedule before departing.  :(

Hanging out with peeps, structural integrity of children's teeth...  Hmmm....  :)

ThreadPacifist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
Sounds like a plan. My wife and I will plan on being there. Is there a particular place in the park that we would meet at?

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
Count me in! I technically have phone duty that day but this is the perfect excuse for me to get out of it :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
Sounds like a plan. My wife and I will plan on being there. Is there a particular place in the park that we would meet at?
There is wide grass area at one of the edges of the garden that I had in mind, see the map attached to this post

Full map of the gardens can be found here:
https://gardens.duke.edu/sites/default/files/Duke-Gardens-map-web-814.pdf

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
Awesome, glad to have just seen this, I'll put it on my clendar and might bring my bf if he's interested.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »
How late are you guys planning on staying?  I think we're booked up in Raleigh for a kids birthday party till 11 or 12, but hope to head up that way if anyone will still be there. 

The plan is to bring the kids, too.  Anyone else bringing their kids?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
How late are you guys planning on staying?  I think we're booked up in Raleigh for a kids birthday party till 11 or 12, but hope to head up that way if anyone will still be there. 

If history is any indication, meetups have usually run for about two hours, so that's more or less what I had in mind. I don't mind accomodating the schedule a little bit (maybe push to 1230?) if everybody is cool with the proposed change.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
If history is any indication, meetups have usually run for about two hours, so that's more or less what I had in mind. I don't mind accomodating the schedule a little bit (maybe push to 1230?) if everybody is cool with the proposed change.

That would work way better for us.  I'm trying to figure out what time we'll be done in Raleigh so we can head that way. 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #249 on: April 29, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »

Works for me!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!