Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208566 times)

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
North Carolina
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:44 PM »
I know I've seen a few other North Carolinians posting in the comments.  Anyone interested in a meetup around either the Triangle or the Triad?

shedinator

• Bristles
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:33 AM »
We'll be in the Triad in June.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
What's bringing you to High Point, Shedinator?

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
What's bringing you to High Point, Shedinator?

Wife and I lived there for 2 years (I did my undergrad at John Wesley College). I'm finishing up my Masters, and didn't get any PhD offers, so we decided to go ahead and move back to where we loved to live. The low cost of living doesn't hurt, either! We'll be able to live on my relatively low salary while I search for a job with a higher one.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
Cool, I know what you mean about the lower cost of living.  I moved from DC and  it has certainly helped the 'stash.  Well, if we get any other interest in the meetup maybe we could meet somewhere in between us like Burlington or Graham.

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
I'd drive to a NC meetup.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
A greater Carolinas meetup sounds like a great idea.

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

There are quite a few SC folks posting so I'd agree with that sentiment. Charlotte might be a good midway location since it's a straight shot from the upstate and low country of SC with 85 and 77. It's about a 2-3 hour drive from the upstate, 1.5-2.5 from the mid-state, and 3.5 - 4.5 from the low country. From the RTP area of NC it's about 2.5 - 3, and from the coast it's going to be 4-6 depending where but anywhere will be long from the coast except RTP.

DavidGalloway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DavidGalloway.net
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
I'd like to go to a meetup in theory, but right now I work seven days a week, so I can't see myself making it. Hopefully I'll only a few more months of this schedule to kill the last of our non-mortgage debt.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

There are quite a few SC folks posting so I'd agree with that sentiment. Charlotte might be a good midway location since it's a straight shot from the upstate and low country of SC with 85 and 77. It's about a 2-3 hour drive from the upstate, 1.5-2.5 from the mid-state, and 3.5 - 4.5 from the low country. From the RTP area of NC it's about 2.5 - 3, and from the coast it's going to be 4-6 depending where but anywhere will be long from the coast except RTP.

I'm in Charlotte NC and would be interested in a meet up as well. I'm not completely sure what we'd all talk about but I'm sure it would be interesting. I'm just getting into this blog. In college my friends always thought I was frugal to the core, but I don't have anything on MMM or Jacob from ERE.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
I'm all for a Carolinas meetup around Charlotte.  It's a pretty central location for anywhere in NC or SC as Somnambulist pointed out.  And we could always carpool there to maintain our mustachianism.

In college my friends always thought I was frugal to the core, but I don't have anything on MMM or Jacob from ERE.

That sums up my life pretty well, usps.  I've always been the cheap one of my friends but lots of people on MMM and ERE definitely put me to shame.

BenDarDunDat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Raleigh here.  Since we are all cheap...erm I mean frugal...what would we do?

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
Raleigh here.  Since we are all cheap...erm I mean frugal...what would we do?

Camping?  Picnic?  Hang out at somebody's house and discuss our 'stashes?  I'm open to some mustachian suggestions.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
I'm just starting to use the forums more and saw you guys.  I'm in Charlotte and would be interested in attending.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
Hi Karen.  It looks like you're right at the epicenter of the proposed meetup.  Any suggestions for things to do around Charlotte?

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
Charlotte has a lot of disc golf courses, those are free as long as you own a couple of discs and don't lose them. Mostly parks as far as free things go. It's almost like we'd have to have a book club or something to discuss. Maybe if there are enough people here in Charlotte we could work on a community garden or something of that nature. I'd love to be part of a tool sharing or work sharing group.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:21:30 AM »
Symphony Sundays used to be free in Southpark area....really cool to take a picnic.  I think there may be similar activities at a park in Pineville with free music or movies on occasion near a small lake. It's a nice setting.  I'll start paying close attention to see if any other opportunities pop up!

Karen

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
I live fairly close to Pineville. I might even be able to bike to the meet up. I think once we post a time and a place we might have more people committing to the meet up.

I'm currently working full time and taking some accounting courses at CPCC. That wraps up within 3 weeks. After that I'd have more time and could make more of a firm committment.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
I thought putting a date out there might help this come together.  So how about towards the end of June, either the 23rd or 30th?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
I'm out of town on the 23rd, but available for a meetup on the 30th.....

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
Either date would work for me.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm out of town for a wedding on the 23rd. In DC for a small house building workshop on the 30th.

I think if you have 3 people can make a date you should go for it. The key thing is just to get started, I'll do my best to make the second meeting.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
So it looks like the 30th.  Any suggestions on where to meetup, Karen, if we're doing this in Charlotte?  I'm not familiar enough with Charlotte to really plan it.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
And would any of the folks from the Triad/Triangle area want to carpool down to Charlotte?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
And would any of the folks from the Triad/Triangle area want to carpool down to Charlotte?
I might be possibly in for the 30th if this happens.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
I will get on it pronto!  It's easier to find a good location knowing the date.  I'll check a few local entertainment resources and get back to you guys later today with a few suggestions.  Charlotte has a lot of free/ low cost options for a social event.

Karen

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
Hi everyone!  I didn't find anything specifically for June 30th in Charlotte (mostly browsing free movie, concert and cultural events).  I do know of a great free place to meet though....it's called Latta Nature Preserve.  It's part of Mecklenburg County parks and rec. This place has great picnic areas and hiking trails and is on a lake.  It might be a nice place to bring a picnic lunch and hang out.  Some of the trails follow the lakeshore and there is lots of shade too.  This is just an idea....it does get hot in Charlotte, so outdoors might not be ideal.  If anyone has any ideas about the type of place, general time of day, that might help too.  I can also check with some of the libraries for recommendations on meeting venues.   

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
Ooooo, the raptor center is in the Latta Nature Preserve too (although it's not free).  I think a picnic at the nature center sounds like a great idea.  Probably around noon or 1:00 would be good since some of us have a decent drive to get there.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
Oh, I'm glad someone else knows this place!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »
A handful of you guys oughta head over here and let the thread OP know about Carolinan mustachianism. I mean, if you want...

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!  I just posted about the Charlotte area on that thread.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »
Anybody else in for the meetup next weekend?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »
Yes, I'm in!!!

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
fire and I will be carpooling from the Triangle on Saturday morning (leaving around 9ish), probably driving through Greensboro/High Point. Anyone else along that route who wants to join the pool is welcome!

Do we have a head count for the meetup? Sounds like it may be only 3...

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
I'm in.  Karen, what's the exact time and place?  And is there somewhere we can escape from the 105 degree weather on Saturday for at least part of the time?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
I think it's just the three of us.  I can meet you guys at whatever time is best, since your drive is the farthest. Noon is fine with me, but that might be a stretch for you guys.  1pm might be better??  Like fire pointed out, the heat is a big concern.... Latta Nature Preserve is going to be toasty, but they do have canoe rentals.  I can try to find a restaurant or other idea close by for refuge.  I live in South Charlotte, so I'm not as intimately familiar with the north side! 

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
Sorry, four of us....John is coming with me! 

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
Awesome!  Any other last minute joiners?  The more the merrier.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
Maybe next time. I'd bring my whole family, but we've done a lot of travelling lately.

Have fun, guys!

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
I just lost my carpooler.  I'm not particularly keen on driving to Charlotte by myself.  Anybody else between Durham and Charlotte interested?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
Unfortunately something personal came up that conflicts with the meetup! Sorry guys.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »
That's ok guys. It's not like we can't try again some other time!  You all have a good weekend and we can try planning this another day when it hopefully won't be 105 degrees in Charlotte!

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
Between the heat and multiple trips to Charlotte in the last month I was not up for it. We should try again when it cools off some.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Ok, let's try this again.  I propose we meetup on Saturday, July 21.  Exact location is to be determined.  If we get some South Carolina interest we'll keep it in Charlotte, otherwise we'll pick something a little more central in NC like around Greensboro or Asheboro.  Who's in?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
We can be there.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
I'm in Charlotte and free on the 21st.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
The 21st should work for me too.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
Awesome.  It looks like we've got a pretty good turn out.  Somnambulist, do you plan on representing SC?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »
21st is approaching fast.

Any ideas on where we might be meeting/what we'll be doing?

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
21st is approaching fast.

Any ideas on where we might be meeting/what we'll be doing?

Karen and I had discussed meeting at Lake Lucas which is a little lake near Asheboro.  It's almost exactly halfway between the Triangle and Charlotte.  So if we've got no SC interest I recommend we meet there at 12:00 on Saturday.  They've got some picnic areas so we can hang out and have lunch and talk.  There's a small hiking trail and fishing and there's boat and canoe rentals if anyone is so inclined.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!