Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208550 times)

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
@ice813 - I'm in Durham but I'm not on the map.  A few of the other members in this thread are close to Durham in Raleigh or Chapel Hill.  If you're interested in doing a meetup just propose a date.  We seem to have a tough time finding dates that work for everyone but I would definitely be up for another meetup.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
I'm now also in Durham. Or rather I will be once I get back in the country at the end of the month.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
I'm in Cary (but don't hold that against me ).

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
Wow!  I didn't check the forum for awhile and our little meetup page has seen some activity lately.  I'm glad Alan mentioned the auto alert setting for new posts, if I can figure out how to do that it would keep me on top of things a little better!  It would be great to finally get a Charlotte area meet up.  Most of my weekends are open.  Maybe we could also revisit the backyard potluck idea?

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Paul der Krake just mentioned in my introduction thread that I might want to stop by here and say hello.  So "Hello!".

I'm in the Raleigh area a few miles from downtown kind of near the Midtown N Hills area (but to the east where house prices are 1/3 of those in the North Hills area!).  I'm up for a meetup sometime in or around Raleigh. 

Slumming it at the park just to hang out or for a picnic would be cool.  There's also a neat little greenway just inside the Beltline that would be decent for a little nature walk.  Truly mustachian.  Less mustachian might be a laid back brewpub or bar with drink specials.  Natty Greene's near Glenwood South/Downtown Raleigh has $2 pint night Thursdays and $3 pints on Sundays I think.  Been there a couple times and it's not annoying (for a bar).  Open to suggestions though as I'm not a bar hopper by any means.

I don't mind doing a little organizing if there's interest.  I can throw up a collaborative google spreadsheet to help plan (availability, location, etc). 

I don't have a good feel for the folks on the forum, but I assume youngish 20- and 30- somethings?  I have 3 kids that may tag along if there are other kids that might be there (ages 1 to 8). 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:58:11 PM by RootofGood »

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
I don't have a good feel for the folks on the forum, but I assume youngish 20- and 30- somethings?  I have 3 kids that may tag along if there are other kids that might be there (ages 1 to 8).
At the one I went to I think we were all 20s-30s.

Looking at the Mustache Map it looks like there are a lot more Mustachians in the Triangle now than got together a while back.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
At the one I went to I think we were all 20s-30s.

Looking at the Mustache Map it looks like there are a lot more Mustachians in the Triangle now than got together a while back.

I'm only 33 years young, but we have an 8 year old so that makes me an old dude to some.  I'm learning to use the twitter if that helps. 

I'll check back here periodically to see if there is any interest in a meetup. 

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
Wow!  I didn't check the forum for awhile and our little meetup page has seen some activity lately.  I'm glad Alan mentioned the auto alert setting for new posts, if I can figure out how to do that it would keep me on top of things a little better!  It would be great to finally get a Charlotte area meet up.  Most of my weekends are open.  Maybe we could also revisit the backyard potluck idea?

I'd be cool with hosting a get together here in Charlotte or just attending one. The next few months are pretty open for me.

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
i'm mid 20's, no kids. Am down to meet up in the triangle almost any weekend but can't do weekdays because I work nights...

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »
I'm up for a meetup, it's been a while since our last one.  I'm good with doing it in Raleigh since we met in Durham last time.  RootOfGood, want to pick a time and place?  I'll never object to a good brew.   :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
I'm up for a meetup, it's been a while since our last one.  I'm good with doing it in Raleigh since we met in Durham last time.  RootOfGood, want to pick a time and place?  I'll never object to a good brew.   :)

RALEIGH/DURHAM/CARY/CHAPEL HILL MMM'ers:

I'll throw out a time and place and let's see if there is interest and availability. 

Picnic Lunch
Saturday, October 12 at 11:30 am
The Rose Garden in Raleigh

If you don't know where it is, it is just north of the NC State Campus and right behind the Raleigh Little Theater.  Very central for those in Raleigh, and on the Chapel Hill/Durham side of Raleigh not far off the interstate for those that want to commute down. 

Nice free park.  Free parking all around, just read the signs.  Bring your own picnic lunch and beverages (maybe skip the alcohol, it'll be 11:30 am and who gets drunk in the morning?).  I'm up for potluck if it doesn't get too complicated.  We'll probably bring a big bag of chips or something to share anyway.  May have Mrs. RootofGood and kids in tow (ages 1, 7, and 8), if you wanted to bring significant others and/or kids.

Unless the theater happens to be open, there aren't any bathrooms in the park, but there's McD's, some other shopping, and 2 libraries about 1/4 mile away that are well known for decent bathrooms in addition to mediocre burgers and stacks of books (respectively). 

No axe murderers allowed.  Unless you are bringing really good sandwiches for all of us.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
Count me in.

Any Durhamites with an interest to cycle there? I can work out an exact route, it should be around 60 miles round trip. Failing that, carpool buddies?

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Unfortunately I'm out of town that weekend, I'll have to catch the next one.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
Probably out. Closing on a house that Friday and Saturday will probably be horrifically busy.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
Count me in.

Any Durhamites with an interest to cycle there? I can work out an exact route, it should be around 60 miles round trip. Failing that, carpool buddies?

60 miles.  Hard core man.  If you cycle, check out trails through umstead and from art museum to near NC state.  Cool scenery from when we have walked/hiked, but no idea if a cycling route is available the whole way, and some may be mtb trails in umstead (no idea for sure). 

I can haul extra water for your refills if necessary, although there is a water fountain at the park right across the street from the rose garden too.  Can't recall seeing a water fountain @ Rose Garden.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
19th of October, same time same place?  Any more availability for that date?  The State Fair is that weekend, but shouldn't impact the rose garden at all. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Let's use this for scheduling, much easier:

http://www.doodle.com/guyni55wgqtye6zz

Technology! Yeah!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
Let's use this for scheduling, much easier:

Technology! Yeah!

Thanks!  I started doing a Google Drive Form to facilitate the date selection and then scrapped the idea.  I figured it would be easier to post a date go with it (not so!) 

Technology! 

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
Weekend of the 19th works best for me. Maybe on the bike, I'm afraid my piece of junk bike might die en route though!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
So far Sunday the 27th is the best date available for all 4 people that responded to the doodle. 

Please go to the doodle poll and put in your availability.  It takes 2 minutes and can help us all plan out the date.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
I will not be able to make it that Sunday, but I hope you guys have a great time! I'm glad to hear uspsfanalan is interested in a meet up in Charlottle too. Anyone else out there wanna try something down this way?

One of these days we will all get to do a bigger get together I hope! Although I don't fit the 20´s-30´s demographic I'm sure we will have plenty of other things in common!  ;) I'm 41 so just barely older.... no one will even notice.....

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
I will not be able to make it that Sunday, but I hope you guys have a great time! I'm glad to hear uspsfanalan is interested in a meet up in Charlottle too. Anyone else out there wanna try something down this way?

One of these days we will all get to do a bigger get together I hope! Although I don't fit the 20´s-30´s demographic I'm sure we will have plenty of other things in common!  ;) I'm 41 so just barely older.... no one will even notice.....

I'm 33, so probably closer to your demographic than to someone in their low 20's.  :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
RALEIGH/DURHAM/CARY/CHAPEL HILL MMM'ers:

Here's an updated date and details for a MMMMeetup in Raleigh.  I hope to see some of you there! 

Picnic Lunch
Sunday, October 27 at 11:30 am
The Rose Garden in Raleigh

If you don't know where it is, it is just north of the NC State Campus and right behind the Raleigh Little Theater.  Very central for those in Raleigh, and on the Chapel Hill/Durham side of Raleigh not far off the interstate for those that want to commute down. 

Nice free park.  Free parking all around, just read the signs.  Bring your own picnic lunch and beverages (maybe skip the alcohol, it'll be 11:30 am and who gets drunk in the morning?).  I'm up for potluck if it doesn't get too complicated.  We'll probably bring a big bag of chips or something to share anyway.  May have Mrs. RootofGood and kids in tow (ages 1, 7, and 8), if you wanted to bring significant others and/or kids.

Unless the theater happens to be open, there aren't any bathrooms in the park, but there's McD's, some other shopping, and 2 libraries about 1/4 mile away that are well known for decent bathrooms in addition to mediocre burgers and stacks of books (respectively). 

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Something came up (gov't shutdown affected house closing date) and I changed my availability on the doodle accordingly. Sorry if that throws a wrench into the plans.

Edit: may still try to make it but wouldn't count on it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:29:59 AM by jpo »

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
Anyone still interested in the October 27th meetup in Raleigh?  The doodle shows ice183, Paul, and me as available.  I'm still available but haven't heard any confirmations from others. 

Anyone interested in a later date? 

azuress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »
Hey all. I'm not available the 27th, but would be interested in meeting up -- especially around Charlotte :)

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
27th should work for me.  I'd still be up for meeting.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »
Somehow I missed this earlier, but I'm up for either date next weekend.  I'll plan for the 27th unless I someone posts otherwise.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
Looks like a critical mass is available for Sunday Oct 27th at 11:30.  See you guys down at the Rose Garden.  The forecast says sunny and 63, so it should be a perfect (and slightly cool) day for meeting outside. 

Note: I created a new thread specifically for this Oct 27 meetup here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/raleigh-nc-mmmmeetup-october-27-2013/

Please comment/reply in that thread for meetup related issues.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:54:15 AM by RootofGood »

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Meetup report:  five of us made it out to the Rose Garden in Raleigh today (plus my wife and 3 kids).  Beautiful day to be outside!  We talked for just a second about the next meetup, but didn't set a date or discuss any details.

jpoysti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
Hi fellow NC Mustachians,

I'm currently studying at NC State. Would definitely be up for a meetup in the Raleigh/Triangle area!

Oh and thanks Justin/RootofGood and Stephen for bringing this part of the forum to my attention

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
Hi fellow NC Mustachians,

I'm currently studying at NC State. Would definitely be up for a meetup in the Raleigh/Triangle area!

Oh and thanks Justin/RootofGood and Stephen for bringing this part of the forum to my attention

Hey Jake! 

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
Hi jpoysti.  I'd be up for another meetup.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »
Alright, it's now March, which means that we could get something organized and shoot for April to give everyone some time to clear their schedules. Because we're all so busy and all that.

Thoughts on location? Time of the day?

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
Heyo, I got directed over to this thread -- new to the boards, relatively new to North Carolina. I am a Canadian living in Durham and working as a postdoc at Duke. Hope there are some cool NC Mustachians. :)

msnell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
I'm in Columbia SC, and would be interested in April as well!

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
Hi! I'm new to the forums here. I live in Raleigh - moved here just over a year ago from NoVa/DC Metro. I'm enjoying the lower cost of living a less traffic! I am definitely up for a get together in the triangle area. Looking forward to getting to know folks here. :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
I'm up for the next meet up.  I can look for a local park or other meeting area in Raleigh.  And I'm up for driving to Durham/Cary.  I think last time everyone besides me was coming from Durham or Cary. 

I can also offer my house as a gathering place but it is a little farther from Durham than the Rose Garden where we met last fall.  I'm roughly situated near the I-440 Beltline and Capital Boulevard. 

dragonstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
Hey, I'm in Chapel Hill and a total noob to making, saving, and investing money (mustachianism) but I'd love to join a triangle meet up.

MWorkman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
Stephen invited me to post here a few months back and I didn't even see it so sorry Stephen. My wife and I live in Charlotte and are new to the adventure of Moustacianism but would love to meet some like minded individuals. Will keep an eye out on the thread.

Matt

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »
Glad to see another Charlotte person posting. We're going to have to have a meet up at some point here.

nick_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
Hi all, just moved to charlotte. I'd be willing to meet up with any mustachians around here.

lauraah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
I recently moved to Durham and would be up for a Mustachian meetup.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
Hi Tar Heels!

Apologies for hijacking your meetup thread, but I have a quick question:

I'll be in Charlotte Tuesday and Wednesday on a business trip and I'm curious what fun, mustachian things there are to do around here? I'll be staying in a hotel downtown, without a car.

Thanks so much! I've never been to the South Eastern US and I'm really excited for my trip (even though I'll be working most of the time!)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
North Carolina Mustachians:

I just received a media inquiry looking for young people seeking FI or ER that are willing to be interviewed about their ER goals.  The article is on the topic of early retirees and the New Economy.

The journalist is located in Chapel Hill but can do phone/skype/email interviews.  PM me and I can forward you her info if you're interested. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
SNIP SNIP
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:24:55 PM by Paul der Krake »

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
If people are down, let's set up a meet  (triangle area)
Fun ideas? Picnic? Hike?

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
Fun ideas? Picnic? Hike?

Eno River State Park? Durham folks can even bike. There's a rock quarry for swimming and paths for hiking and mountain biking. We could do a labor day meet up.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
Fun ideas? Picnic? Hike?

Eno River State Park? Durham folks can even bike. There's a rock quarry for swimming and paths for hiking and mountain biking. We could do a labor day meet up.
I LOVE the quarry. Let's do it.

fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
I'm in for a labor day meetup next weekend.  Would Saturday, the 30th work for other people?