Author Topic: New Zealand Mustachians  (Read 55211 times)

FOtheM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New Zealand Mustachians
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
I am seem to be a little late to the party, but hopefully not too late. I have been lurking for a while but am not on facebook......is that going to be fatal?

Thanks RichERich for the run down on funds, it made more sense than a lot of what I have read elsewhere. I have some Smartshares but will also look at Superlife as I know I should diversify but when I start looking overseas I get overwhelmed by tax issues/brokerage costs/exchange rate concerns.

I have heard that Smartshares are going to do a property fund and an international share fund (they told me by the end of 2014, but I haven't heard anything further).

Oh, and I am in Auckland.

Prim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
Newly registered to the forums, but longish-term lurker.

I wanted to reply to Less some time ago, but never got around to registering.  Personally, I use YNAB.  Love it.  Your mileage may vary.  There is a free trial period, I have found it very easy to use.  And, available here :)  I am south of Chch, bank with ASB, ANZ and Bankdirect and don't have any trouble importing information from banks' feeds in to YNAB.  Of course, that is not what you're supposed to do, but sometimes it takes a while to get into the groove.  Here is a referral link if any of you are interested (I understand that if you utilise this link to purchase YNAB you pay a reduced price and I receive a small amount of money also; for which I would be very grateful) - http://ynab.refr.cc/LPDS44L  YNAB's online resources I think are wonderful.  I cannot speak highly enough of it.  I am not very present on FB so probably won't go the FB group way, but will certainly continue to lurk and contribute when/if able.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:39 AM »
I finally stumbled across this thread. I'm in Christchurch. I've requested to join the FB group, real name David. Hope to meet up some time.

RichERich's investment summary, pretty much sums up my feelings on investing in NZ.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »
Hey all,

I was going to start trying to do a better job of tracking my spending this year. I went on line to check out Mint since everyone raves about it, only to be disappointed as it is not available in NZ.

Does anyone else have a good suggestion for how to track spending? I used Xero personal at one stage but that has been cut. I use Track my spending in ASB banking at the moment but somehow that just gets me confused as i use a series of accounts to bucket my incoming , joint and personal outgoings, as well as my savings each month.
I have just started using free mobile app Moneywise.  I like the convenience of it being on my mobile and then I transfer the totals to my excel spreadsheet each month.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
Hi I am in Chch too.  Been lurking for a while and only just started posting now.  Keen to discuss share investing in NZ as the focus in the media and with our friends/family is skewed toward property investment.  (And for good reason as historically the returns have been phenomenal in recent times so I don't really want to kick off a pty v share debate in this forum) RichERich summed the options for passive investors in NZ quite well.  IMO I think Superlife probably offers the best choice & cheapest MER plus no brokerage but they only take personal investors & not trusts or companies, so far as I could tell.    So for the past 2 years I have been investing in Vanguard & ishares on the ASX for our international shares and for my NZ portfolio I do sharepick (I have about 20 direct shares; mostly REITS & blue chip companies). 

lise

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Posting to follow.  I'm a kiwi living in the US but plan to retire back in NZ. 

Autodidact

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »
Another Christchurch person here. New Brighton by the sea!

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 01:05:17 AM »
Also I’ve jotted down a few thoughts on investing in the sharemarket in New Zealand.

Thanks so much for this summary, RichERich!

NZAlbion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »
Hello!

I discovered MMM last November - it was love at first sight - and I'm busily trying to catch up on all the posts.

Thanks for the info on the state of NZ investing - it's disappointing to realise that the Vanguard Index Funds MMM loves aren't available for the same low fees here. I've had my savings sitting in a bank account for years and now realise there are better ways to put it to work. Looking forward to researching more and trying out investing this year. By the way, has anyone joined Harmoney? At 1.25% service fee, it seems steep compared to the investing fees mentioned by MMM in the US.. I am tempted to try it out though.

I'd love to join the meet-up group - I'm in Auckland (N. Shore). Please add me to your list!

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »
Hello!

I discovered MMM last November - it was love at first sight - and I'm busily trying to catch up on all the posts.

Thanks for the info on the state of NZ investing - it's disappointing to realise that the Vanguard Index Funds MMM loves aren't available for the same low fees here. I've had my savings sitting in a bank account for years and now realise there are better ways to put it to work. Looking forward to researching more and trying out investing this year. By the way, has anyone joined Harmoney? At 1.25% service fee, it seems steep compared to the investing fees mentioned by MMM in the US.. I am tempted to try it out though.

I'd love to join the meet-up group - I'm in Auckland (N. Shore). Please add me to your list!

I too was interested in Harmoney having read the glowing reviews of peer to peer lending by MMM.  Its not risk free (as you will be aware) & NZ Herald article shows another side  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=11336735.  But so long as its your risky money ie 5% or less of your portfolio it may be interesting & give you good returns.  I would be interested in your feedback if you do invest!

NZAlbion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Hi Kiwigirls,

Thanks for the link, all I had managed to find so far were articles that sounded suspiciously like "advertorials".

I don't have *any* portfolio yet besides savings in the bank - so, I may put a tiny amount into Harmoney to see how it plays out but try out stock options too. I'll let you know how it goes!

timdotz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
Yo people,

Been a lurker for the past few years.
Currently restricting expenses and researching further options beyond smartshares for some international exposure.

Currently living and working in central Auckland.

lauranz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Hi all,
Living in Auckland (Ellerslie area), recently married and currently renting.
Been reading and lurking for a while but keen to get involved.
Interested to hear your thoughts on first home buyers in Auckland at the moment (vs. continuing to rent and investing the difference?)
Laura

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Hi all,
Living in Auckland (Ellerslie area), recently married and currently renting.
Been reading and lurking for a while but keen to get involved.
Interested to hear your thoughts on first home buyers in Auckland at the moment (vs. continuing to rent and investing the difference?)
Laura
Hi Laura, On the numbers it usually makes sense to rent somewhere and invest the difference.  Buying a house is an emotional decision.  It is somewhere to live with your husband, decorate the way you want and to raise your family.  Most NZers aspire to doing that & given how expensive property is in Auckland if that is what you want to do you will have to save hard for a couple of years to get your deposit together.  Either way your first step should be to ensure that both of you contributing the minimum 3% to Kiwisaver to get the free money each year from the government.  If it is a house you want in the next 7-10 years then save hard into a high interest savings account - Rabodirect or one of the major banks at around 4.30%pa until you have a 20% deposit.  If you really don't think you will buy a house in the next 7-10 years then check out the investment accounts offered by Superlife - lots of index funds with cheaper fees or investing directly on the ASX by using an online broker - ANZ or ASB.

jaya_gibson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Jaya Gibson online
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi I am from Christchurch and have been following this blog for a month or so.

Keen to go to a meetup in the South Island if it happens

Hi I am a recent lurker as well, first time poster :)
I'm also in NZ but South Island... looks like the few of us here are a bit spread out, so a meet up might be difficult (that's the thing about living in NZ i suppose) - so maybe we could have an online community where we ask each other for advice, share stories etc for things that are specific to NZ.  Thoughts?

Kaypea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
Hi - just found this post today and it's made me come out of lurkdom to hang out with fellow Kiwis. I'm near Chch and have been following the MMM blog and the forums for a while. Prob not as moustachian as we could be but in mid 40s and very nearly paid off mortgage on a 600+K house so going OK. Thinking about where to put $$ after that so this is a good place to learn. Will check out the facebook page now.

MsKiwiStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 01:43:44 AM »
Hi Kiwi Mustachians

I'm another first-time poster, longtime MMM fan. I'm based in Wellington. 

Just finished working in the cube farm so I am now "in between roles" and reaping the benefits of a having good redundancy package, no debt and a decent stash started.  Still about 7 years from FIRE, so will be heading back to work sometime in the not too distant future (I hope).  Many thanks to all those of you who have posted on NZ utilities/food expenses (great to compare) and NZ investment. 

happylife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 04:00:03 AM »

I'm in Wellington and would definitely be keen for a catch up.

Before last year I'd never heard of such a thing as "early retirement" and now I think about it ALL the time!

What a great way to live. 

leftoverham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
Yo people,

Been a lurker for the past few years.
Currently restricting expenses and researching further options beyond smartshares for some international exposure.

Currently living and working in central Auckland.

Yo Tim,

From New Zealand you'll only have a few options at the moment for passive/index funds outside of SuperLife (which is now owned by NZX) unless you're game to invest in Vanguard ETFs on the ASX.

I currently use SuperLife for my overseas exposure using their "my mix" function. You can select the asset allocation to whatever you'd like (I'm currently 80% shares 20% bonds).

The fees are 0.36 p.a for the Overseas shares (currency hedged) fund plus you pay $33 per year for the account. (see fees here http://www.superlife.co.nz/fees.html).

The overseas exposure tracks the MSCI ex Aust index so you get pretty good diversification.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:19:35 AM by leftoverham »

NZSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
Hi all. I've just joined up. Great to find some fellow kiwi's here. I see this topic has been read over 3000 times, but there still aren't a lot of us here. Maybe the rest of the world just likes seeing what we are up to down here!

I stubbled across the MMM site via a link through an article on either the Interest or Nz Herald website a few weeks back. Since then I've been reading through the blog from the beginning and am just over half way through.

A lot of what I read agrees nicely with how I live. Especially the saving/investment/exercise side of things. I've saved a bit of coin already from what I've read and through comparing my spending to the MM family I been able to see much more clearly where my spending has been going. I've always been pretty tight, so it's not too bad, but maybe no more surfboards and wetsuits for awhile!

I was lucky enough to purchase property in central Wellington in the early 2000's whilst working and studying full time. I'm in my mid-thirties now and that has set me up pretty well through life thus far. I also have an online e-commerce business which I work at from home, which is a lifestyle block in Tauranga.

I've always been interested in investing and have tried various options and forex trading in the past. Currently though I'm trying to pay down the home mortgage, and build up some portfolio capital through a managed fund via a financial advisor friend in Australia. I have a couple of small stock positions in the USA market and enjoy that, but the currency volatility puts me off from putting any serious money in there currently.

Sorry for the life story. In short would be keen to met and get to know others also if something gets setup and will join the Facebook group.

leftoverham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
 Holy shit! check out the first sentence of this personal finance article -

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=11434500

"Surviving on super is a tall order. It's often hardest for those who earned a decent salary in their working lives, but for whatever reason have no savings"

No way! Haha
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:34:13 PM by leftoverham »

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
I am fully expecting that there will be no super payment that I will be entitled to by the time I reach retirement. Or taxes are going to have to take a sharp increase during the next decade to start generating enough capital to fund it.

It will take a lot of luck for even kiwisaver to still be standing in another 10 election cycles.

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2015, 05:13:59 AM »
I am Sam, I live in Christchurch with my wife.

We are both 30 and the house will be paid off next year.
In order to reduce the term we bumped up the mortgage repayments to $2340 a fortnight so we just live off part of my wife's income.

Because we are able to cut costs we are still able to live a pretty lavish lifestyle. Riding a bicycle helps heaps as well as brewing beer at home.

I'm wanting to get into investing but not sure what is best. I'm thinking of putting $500-1000 into harmoney as it is not a great deal of money to risk. Could be a good experiment.

Cheers,

Sam

PS. please add me to that list, I don't have a face-book however.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
I'm 26, based in Auckland.

Love these forums!

RichERich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Hey dudes and dudettes here's an updated list of members...starting to get some numbers, any more lurkers keen to say hi?
Also the Facebook group is going great guns for those who aren't on it yet :)

Auckland

RichERich
DaveG
KiwiMust
Less
Boganvillia
FOtheM
NZAlbion
timdotz
lauranz
NZSurfer (Tauranga)
Kiwi Mustache

North of Auckland
Less is More
kiwibeach

Christchurch/south
thelorax
StrawberryKiwi75
homehandymum
gooki
kiwigirls
Autodidact
jaya_gibson
Kaypea
TygerTung

New Plymouth
nz

Manawatu
RovingKiwi

Wellington
KiwiSonya
Annamal
MsKiwiStache
happylife

NZSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
There is a good 50+ people in the Facebook community group also that is pretty active; https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574186292811363/

bigblen2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
another in Christchurch
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Hi all,

Good to see some kiwis...

I'm in South Christchurch.  Followed MMM from close to the beginning and have myself been "voluntarily unemployed" Mustachian for the last 3 years or so.

I see some people on  the Mustache Map http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/mustache-map!/

--
Eliot

(BTW I'm not (and won't be) on facebook)

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a big MMM fan but have been busy with other things for the last year or so but I'm back now. I've been retired for the last year, and although a lot of that is due to following Mustachian principles, I have to admit that my husband still working helps a lot too.

I'm in the Pukekohe area, so you can put me down for the Auckland group. I've also requested to join the FB group.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
There is a good 50+ people in the Facebook community group also that is pretty active; https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574186292811363/

I just requested access to the group. If you could accept it that would be great.

I'm Elliot.

Hudson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 01:59:35 AM »
and another Wellingtonian here.

Maddie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 04:44:55 AM »
Just spotted this group.  I discovered ERE in early 2010, then MMM when ERE "passed the torch" to him.  Would be great to meet other kiwi mustachians.  My husband and I are in Auckland.  No Facebook.  So when/where are we meeting?

We also invest in Smart Shares, and for bonds - Fisher Funds.  Although not low cost index funds, we also have money in Mike Taylor's PIE funds - worked out well for us so far.  Have also been thinking about peer to peer lending but haven't done anything about it yet.

So cool to see other kiwi mustachians - we see so many "car clowns" around where we live, it sometimes makes us feel like we are the only ones (mustachians that is, not car clowns) :D.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:55:53 AM by Maddie »

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 01:32:01 AM »
Hi
I've been lurking for about a year. I'm in Wellington, and have been working on being more frugal as I'm house hunting.
Might try the facebook page too.
Sarah

taurangaandy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
Hello, brand new to the forum and living here in Tauranga. Only been reading MMM for a couple of months but I've got to say it's a gamechanger! I'm busy implementing changes and analysing virtually everything. It all really makes sense to me and I just wish I'd discovered the site (and all the knowledge) a lot sooner. I've just joined the FB group, well it's pending at the moment, and hope to meet up with others if any events get organised. Cheers Andy

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi, great to see so many kiwi Mustachians out there. I'm happy to host another Wellington gathering if folks are keen. I'm in Brooklyn.  Sonya

GoldPanPete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Gold Pan Pete Design - Handmade Jewellery
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
I'm new to MMM and am loving it so far. I've just stumbled across this post, so I thought I'd chime in. I'm down near Queenstown.

stc8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »
Hi all,

My wife and I are keen mustachians, living in central Auckland area. Have been reading the blog for some time, but thought it was time to unlurk. Nice to see so many kiwis on the board!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »
Hi, great to see so many kiwi Mustachians out there. I'm happy to host another Wellington gathering if folks are keen. I'm in Brooklyn.  Sonya

Hi fellow Brooklynite (we're just up on the Wind Turbine side).

I love the Brooklyn/Highbury/Aro valley area and am super impressed by the new walking/mountain biking trails going in.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2015, 02:57:49 AM »

Hi fellow Brooklynite (we're just up on the Wind Turbine side).

I love the Brooklyn/Highbury/Aro valley area and am super impressed by the new walking/mountain biking trails going in.

Hi Annamal, nice to see you live so close. I'm in Reuben Ave. I need to rally the troops for a Wellington meet up. Are you on the Kiwi Mustachians Facebook page? Sonya

Retiredkiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2015, 01:52:34 AM »
Hi, I am in Marlborough.  Retired from paid employment at 40 (5 years ago) and now spend my days actively managing my share portfolio and working a few hours a week at a winery for fun (nd to get off the computer and out of the house).  I get down to Chch now and then, as we have an online share trading group catch up now and then - anyone interested in shares (not funds or ETFs) should come along (join sharetrader.co.nz).
Anyone thinking of retiring early should check out Marlborough - the houses here are cheap as chips, and the weather is pretty awesome :-)

res

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2015, 06:51:11 AM »
Hi all

Im Kiwi doing a set term stint overseas,counting the months until returning,when lives in Wellington when home.

Very happy to see a kiwi farce book group and have just asked to join-my real name is Rex

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »
I'm not a Kiwi (Canadian), but I will be in NZ for a year or so on a working holiday come mid November.  :)  I'd love to meet some MMMers while I'm there.

burrowsrw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
Kiwi here, north of Auckland. already joined the facebook group :)

andyp2010

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
Another one for Chch. Linwood ghetto 4 life.

Happy to help anyone get into property or business in general.

Andy

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2015, 05:08:47 PM »
Kiwi-stachians,

I was hoping someone might be able to fill me in on the most cost effective way to do house insurance. Anyone able to recommend someone? Know the right questions to ask? Know how to decide how much cover you actually need?

I am totally new to this so trying to fill in some blanks.

andyp2010

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2015, 05:53:08 AM »
Pretty much pay up front for the year and have the highest excess, if youre not in chch, shop around and make sure theyve got your house details right

marcustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »
Hey Kiwi 'stashers,
My brother introduced me to the blog about a month ago and I have since devoured all the words everywhere.
I have very recently set up an ASB trading account, a Harmoney p2p lending account, and have an application in for and ASB Kiwisaver account.
I've joined the facebook group too - real name Marcus.
I would love some advice on what sort of percentages to put in to each of the investments.
I am self employed, so was considering just putting the minimum in Kiwisaver each year to get the government matching. Was thinking 10% of total investment in to Harmoney and then try to find a range of smartshare indexes for the rest?
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Cheers

spotila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »
Long time lurker and reader, first time poster. Based in Hawke's Bay.

Have also requested access to the FB group :)

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Hey Kiwi 'stashers,
My brother introduced me to the blog about a month ago and I have since devoured all the words everywhere.
I have very recently set up an ASB trading account, a Harmoney p2p lending account, and have an application in for and ASB Kiwisaver account.
I've joined the facebook group too - real name Marcus.
I would love some advice on what sort of percentages to put in to each of the investments.
I am self employed, so was considering just putting the minimum in Kiwisaver each year to get the government matching. Was thinking 10% of total investment in to Harmoney and then try to find a range of smartshare indexes for the rest?
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Cheers

Sounds like you have a pretty good strategy. Definitely only put the minimum into the Kiwisaver account ($100 per month for ASB I think) so you get the contribution each year.  As to what you are doing with the rest of your surplus; you don't say if you are debt free?  If you still have a mortgage then you should seriously consider paying that off in full before you invest elsewhere.  If you are mortgage free then 10% Harmoney and 80% Smartshares is a reasonable mix (albeit higher risk).  I suggest you think about how much you are prepared to lose and only put that amount into Harmoney ... It is higher risk than investing in the share market and there is a real risk of not getting your money back.  That said the returns could be good, you might enjoy the fun of supporting other peoples hopes & dreams.  Good luck. I am interested to hear how you get on with Harmoney.

SteveE182

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »
Hello everyone - first post after discovering the MMM blog about a month ago.

Reason for the post - don't live in New Zealand yet, but planning to emigrate from the UK in 2017. I backpacked for six months around NZ in 2011 with my wife, we absolutely loved it. My wife already has NZ citizenship through her mum, so I just need to go through the visa process next year.

Would be keen to chat to fellow MMMers about life in NZ - particularly jobs, places to live, passive investing, places to buy a house etc - please feel free to PM me if you'd be happy to help.

Camsronsharpe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
Hi,  did you guys end up meeting up? Happy NY 2016.

I am based in central/east Akl and enjoying biking as many places as possible.  Excellent hobby. Hardest challenge was recently returning a water blaster across town and up college Hill.  Hard but got there and all good fun.

Btw love that new pink cycle way in town!