Author Topic: New Mexico  (Read 10721 times)

janiesuper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Mexico
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
Someone else from NM found me in the blog so I started this thread just to gather all the New Mexicans together. Use this thread to get to know each other and plan local meetups.

Say hi, tell us where you are from, and anything else you want.  You can say a little or a lot, whatever you feel comfortable with.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:12:10 AM by janiesuper »

janiesuper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
I'll start:

I am 41, female, I have a PhD in Biochemistry. unmarried, no kids

I own a home which is valued near the mortgage value, but I consider it underwater because of upgrades. I rent it out and I cannot afford to live there just yet. I refinanced it 2 years ago while I was working to a cushy 4.5%

My first layoff happened in 2009, and I've been through three. Twice I was long term unemployed for 8 months each. In my very last month of unemployement, I lost my long term umeployment insurance because the government did not want to continue fudning it.

I just spent 7 months working in a call center as a customer service associate for a retirement accounts services company. I quit last week to start a new job, back at the lab :)

I am living with very low rent in an attached apartment to my  mom's house.
I have been living on 24-30K per year for the last 2 years. Prior to that I was making close to 60K per year
I have 29K of credit card debt. (It used to be 45K+)
I have no student loans
My car is a 99 honda civic, paid off 133K miles and I plan to put in about 1K of repairs into it over the next year.

I'm on a VERY tight budget. In the past it used to be, well if it's under $50 I don't track it. Today, I track every dollar. I look for ways to save $10 here and there, and I never did that before.

I'm really happy to have learned my lessons but this road never ends! Looking forward to learning more.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
What's up New Mexicans!

I am in Santa Fe, 35 years old, married with a 2 year old.

Our financial picture, in a nutshell is:
We have some of my spouse's student loans still (to the tune of $11,000) which we are attacking like crazy right now.
We have a mortgage of $213,000 that we have on a 15 year pay-off schedule.
We both have professional jobs.  We live cushy lives and I'm trying to de-cushify it a bit to increase our savings and investments. 

I'd love to do a meet up one of these days!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:42:16 PM by CNM »

Seņora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Hi!

I'm a young teacher in Albuquerque.  I was surprised when I started living on my own that even on a teacher's salary I could save a lot of my income.  MMM gave me reasons to try to save more (freedom + the environment) and I've found that he helps me stay positive.

I'm debt free (thanks to parents who paid for college) and am saving as much of each pay check as I can.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
Hi guys!  I am in Abq, also.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »
Hi, New Mexicans!

I am not currently in NM, but I lived in ABQ for 4 years and I'm trying to get back. I'm 34, married, no kids (so far), living in Northern Virginia. Right now we are paying off about 34k in student loans. No other debt. No mortgage (we rent). No assets to speak of, other than a 2003 Honda Accord with 145k miles.

If anyone hears about any good geospatial jobs in NM that are available, let me know!

BurquenaAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:23 AM »
As my not-so-clever username suggests, I am from the Land of Enchantment, but living elsewhere for now.

I hope someday I can live in NM again, so I'm looking forward to hearing any Burque-specific tips and tricks (and in general soothing my homesickness).

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
Hi!  I live in Albuquerque.  Age 41, female, never married and no bio-kids.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:26 PM »
Any mustachians from Silver City, NM? I'm considering relocating there for retirement and wondering if it would be worth it. I currently live in CA which is fairly expensive. I'm trying to figure out how much cheaper things would be if I moved.

TheLazyMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
I'm in Albuquerque.  I wouldn't say I'm very mustachian but I like investing and doing stuff for myself when possible.

CoolMcCool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
Hello New Mexicans!   This thread is a little old but just wanted to see if there is any meetups happening? 
I am 48 married male,  no kids.  Retired but still working part time and living off of investments.  Live in Rio Rancho currently but have an offer on a short sale home in Corrales.     

zero_house

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any Mustachians in New Mexico want to get together over the holidays?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »
My wife is from ABQ, and we're heading back to visit her family Dec. 24 - Jan 5, 2018. If there are any Mustachians in the area, we would love to get together, buy you a beer, and ask a few questions about the Land of Enchantment. One of our dreams is to someday move back to Albuquerque, and we would be very interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

MsEnchanted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Hello if anyone is still out there reading this really old thread.  I am living in Abq, 36, married w/ 2 kids, planning to retire "early" someday.  We are not as hardcore as most Mustachians, but was wondering if there were any others like us in this town.  Seems like there may be a few!  Meetup anyone?

zero_house - sorry didn't see your post before

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
I'm in Albuquerque. We've been here about 10 years now, moved right after graduating college to be closer to my wife's family. Looking to move to the east mountains in the next couple of years but still renting for now. We became 100% debt free just about a year ago and have been building up an emergency fund since then. That's now switching to saving up for a newer vehicle as mine is a 2000 and my wife's is a 2009. Still pointing some away for retirement but only about 6-7% in 401k/Roth 401k.

We have five kids from 2 to 9 and homeschool the oldest three. I'm the sole breadwinner and my wife stays home with the kids. Looking for a new job as my current one is long hours and stressful for an income that's only slightly above-average.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
I also live in ABQ, on the West Side.

myrrh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 03:27:45 PM »
I am in Rio Rancho, age 40, married with two kids. We are working on increasing savings and paying off the mortgage (house purchased at height of the bubble and still not worth what we paid, sigh.) I am interested in a meetup.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
We should all get together for dinner at my place. Perhaps sometime in May?

FI_in the 505

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Sounds great, I'm in for a get together. Just let me know when/where - I have a very flexible schedule.
Thanks!

MrDangerDumpling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 04:40:02 AM »
Hey all!

Long time MMM follower, but registered to post here.  I'd be interested in meeting up; how about that May plan?  I chanced upon another Mustachian this past month and we've kept in touch, so I'll be sure to forward the invite along to him too, if this is happening.

A bit about me...  Moved from NY to NM (ABQ) ~4 years ago.  Male, turning 30 in a couple weeks, unwed, and child-less.  Bad-assity level at 64% (savings rate).  Should achieve FIRE goal in 5 years, given U.S. market historical inflation-adjusted annualized market return rate (7%).  I started on this journey at a pretty young age (began investing in the stock market at the age of 10).

FI_in the 505

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Hey Mr. DangerDumpling!
I'm in for the May plan.. should we go ahead and set a day/time and send an invite to the whole group? Looks like a range of dates and responses here, but maybe if all are direct messaged (if that is possible here?), we might get a good turn-out. I have a feeling some only infrequently check this forum. I'll be in Moab the 1st week of May, and very flexible for the rest of the month. I achieved FI last December and do not have a job. I'm thinking we do a no-cost gathering at a free park, but open to other ideas! Let me know what date works for the group and we can take it from there.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
How about May 27th, Sunday, at my place? We can have dinner around 6, which is early for me but probably better for those who work early. I'll break out some homebrew. Depending on the head count and the weather I'll either throw random things on the grill or cook something. If the head count is under a dozen we can dine formally just for grins and giggles.

Well behaved dogs are welcome: I have a fenced yard that still looks like crap but I'm making progress. The VSB will be onsite.

My home is not even remotely child friendly. There's rather a lot of booze and sharp pointy things around, and I have been known to use sarcasm and bad words. The games room has puzzles and card games that may entertain older kids. There's no TV and no Wi-Fi but Cards Against Humanity is available. I'll stash the distance weapons and the most controversial literature and decorations out of sight but if you're not sure of your kids please leave them at home.

Anyone who wants to come, PM me with your names, head count, and any allergies or dietary restrictions.

Cheers,

Grim and the Venomous Spaz Beast

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
Cancelled due to lack of interest. A holiday weekend clearly isn't a good pick.

FI_in the 505

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
Very open for the month of June if there is interest in rescheduling..

myrrh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
Sorry, GS, my family was on vacation at that time. June might work better.

FI_in the 505

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »
Hi again everyone - making another attempt at an Albuquerque meetup - potentially during July or August..? Let me know if any mustachians out there are still interested..
Thanks!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »
Wolfenoot party, my place, November 23rd (Black Friday), 4 to 7 PM, open house. Dogs and well-behaved kids welcome

Wolfenoot is a trendy new holiday dreamed up by a genius 7-year-old. The idea is that the spirit of the wolf visits and leaves nice things for people who are good to dogs. Everyone eats roast meat (because wolves eat meat) and we share a full moon shaped cake.

Weather permitting, this will be a dog friendly (mostly) outdoor party. BYOB and PM me for the location.

Unless you're traveling for Thanksgiving this ought to be a great opportunity because obviously none of us will be going nuts over the consumer sukka Black Friday nonsense.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »
Wolfenoot was great! It ended up being indoors because of cooler weather.

Many thanks to FI_In_The_505. Hope to meet more of you eventually.

Must_Stash_NM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
Hello fellow New Mexicans!
I am newly registered to the forum and happy to find a small contingent of NMers here. 
I am a late 30s something engineer with a wife and two small kids, life-long resident of NM. 
I live in a semi-rural part of ABQ where I am currently rehabbing my family's home. 
My currently predicted FIRE date is sometime in 2023.
I hope I get the opportunity to meet some of you sometime!

Ben Dbtd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2023, 04:16:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Benjamin and I am a social anthropologist from France. I am currently a visiting scholar at the University of Arizona.
I am interested in the FIRE movement and  I would like to conduct research on individuals who have retired early in France and the United States.
I came across this forum while researching the topic and I am impressed by the level of engagement and discussion here.

I am visiting Albuquerque for the week (05/15 to 05/19) and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their experiences with me and participating in an interview for my research. Your insights could be invaluable to me and could help shed light on the motivations and challenges of those who pursue the FIRE lifestyle.

The interviews would last between 30 and 60 minutes and can be conducted in person or via Zoom or Skype, depending on your preferences and availability.

If you are interested or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you and hope to engage in meaningful conversations with the members of this community.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 11:47:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Benjamin and I am a social anthropologist from France. I am currently a visiting scholar at the University of Arizona.
I am interested in the FIRE movement and  I would like to conduct research on individuals who have retired early in France and the United States.
I came across this forum while researching the topic and I am impressed by the level of engagement and discussion here.

I am visiting Albuquerque for the week (05/15 to 05/19) and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their experiences with me and participating in an interview for my research. Your insights could be invaluable to me and could help shed light on the motivations and challenges of those who pursue the FIRE lifestyle.

The interviews would last between 30 and 60 minutes and can be conducted in person or via Zoom or Skype, depending on your preferences and availability.

If you are interested or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you and hope to engage in meaningful conversations with the members of this community.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Benjamin,

I sent you a private message but in case you didn't see it, I'm in Albuquerque and could meet in person this week. However, I'm still many years away from FIRE.