Author Topic: Mustachian world travelers (move to meetups)  (Read 24653 times)

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
Mustachian world travelers (move to meetups)
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
I've been into one form of mustachianism or another since birth. Now, I am thirtymumble and taking an unknown amount of time to travel the world.

When I travel, its often to tropical areas where opportunities to swim, dive and hike through the jungle abound. One of my latest trips was to, the Philippines to work on my scuba skills.

It would be great to meet other Mustachian travelers. It would be even better to create a global network of Mustachians who are interested in traveling and meeting others as the explore. A Mustachian secret society, minus the secret part. (Aah, ambition!)

Edit: It looks like a lot of folks are interested in either traveling or hosting/meeting/tourguiding others:

Hosting / meeting:

Michael792: Would love to meet other Mustachians once he moves to Korea
Bako_Frugal: Hosting(ish) around Central California / Bakersfield
kmt88: Long Beach / Southern California (though you can't post your tent on his couch due to roommates)
spartana: Coastal SoCal / active low budget activities like hiking, biking & climbing

Traveling:

Michael792: either traveling or living in Korea when he gets out of the Army
Bako_Frugal: Central California / hiking trips
kmt88: Probably hanging around Long Beach / Southern California
Jojo: Retiring 18 months from April 2015. Plans to travel down western Africa, as well as Mauritius, India, Indonesia and many other places
Cookie78: Alaska, Argentina, other
Glasgowbeck: Portugal, former USSR, southern Spain & Morocco
Mandy_2002: Vietnam, South America
ykphil: Wherever his wife wants to go...

Other:

Gockie: Interested in hearing about any developments
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:06:43 AM by electriceagle »

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
Re: Mustachian world traveler (M)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
Not a potential partner, but linking up with people while traveling would be awesome. I'm going to start traveling or move back to Korea when I get out of the Army. I want to become a citizen here, so I might not be doing heavy traveling for about seven years...or I might do the traveling first and chase citizenship later on.

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
Sign me up for the world traveler's network!  I bet we'd get along if we ever bumped into each other abroad, OP.  Sadly, I'm stuck on two week vacations for another ten years or so.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »
Female mustache here, early 40's, Seattle area.  Planning retirement in 18 months.  I love hiking, snorkeling.  Thinking about doing the scuba thing too.

I'm headed to Canadian Rockies in July and Maldives & Sri Lanka in November.

Here's what's on my list from 2016-2019:
Travel down entire western Africa by truck
South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
All of eastern Europe, from Estonia down to Greece
Hiking the entire Camino de Santiago
Portugal

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses. If a few more people respond, there may really be a Mustachian travelers network!

(PM to JoJo)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:49:17 PM by electriceagle »

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »
Like I said earlier, definitely up for it. After I move to Korea, my home will always be open to Mustachians. If you come here and go to Busan on a clear day, you can see the southern islands of Japan. :D

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
I haven't been involved in Couchsurfing much since the switch to "for profit" status, but at least back in the day it was totally a Mustachian traveler's network.  Everyone was frugal and interested in genuine local experiences.  My city used to have monthly parties where you'd meet folks from around the world.  And I've had good experiences Couchsurfing abroad too: one highlight was my host in Hong Kong taking me to a "foodie" street food area and seeing how excited they were about chicken fingers!

If nothing else OP, might be worth a look while we're waiting for the Mustachian network!

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:57 PM »
I haven't been involved in Couchsurfing much since the switch to "for profit" status, but at least back in the day it was totally a Mustachian traveler's network.  Everyone was frugal and interested in genuine local experiences.  My city used to have monthly parties where you'd meet folks from around the world.  And I've had good experiences Couchsurfing abroad too: one highlight was my host in Hong Kong taking me to a "foodie" street food area and seeing how excited they were about chicken fingers!

If nothing else OP, might be worth a look while we're waiting for the Mustachian network!

+1 on Couchsurfing.  I used it quite a bit several years ago and had nothing but positive experiences.  Planning on using it again this fall when I travel the US!

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
+1 for slow travel and low COL around the world (geo-arbitrage)

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Like I said earlier, definitely up for it. After I move to Korea, my home will always be open to Mustachians. If you come here and go to Busan on a clear day, you can see the southern islands of Japan. :D

Very cool. I'll start thinking about the best way to set up a directory!

Gockie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »
I'm interested to hear of any developments!

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 04:03:12 AM »

Very cool. I'll start thinking about the best way to set up a directory!
lol Ya got at least two years to think, or at least till you add me on to it. I'm in a one way contract with the government for another two years. Then it may take a year or two for me to get back over here.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 07:39:22 AM »
Count me in!!

I will be a couple years until FIRE, but when I get there I want to spend lots of time traveling. The first couple years I will likely spend lots of time with family in northen Canada and boyfriend in Phoenix, after that I'm planning to do Alaska to Argentina. Then maybe Africa. Would like to do lots of slow travel through Asia too.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »
Female mustache here, early 40's, Seattle area.  Planning retirement in 18 months.  I love hiking, snorkeling.  Thinking about doing the scuba thing too.

South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
Portugal

Squeeeeee!! I love your list!

Hit me up if you need a futon to crash on in Calgary in July. Would love to hear about your Africa plans especially.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
Portugal

Squeeeeee!! I love your list!

Hit me up if you need a futon to crash on in Calgary in July. Would love to hear about your Africa plans especially.

I don't think we'll get to calgary because we're approaching from the west.  I'll PM you.

glasgowbeck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 05:16:11 AM »
40s female in UK here, definitely up for a Camino and for Portugal - anywhere in Europe including the former USSR/ eastern bits is good by me. Also, used to be a New Zealander so anyone wanting tips on maximising a trip there, I'll do what I can for you. Plus I lived in the US in the 1980s so not a total newbie on that front either.

I love southern coastal Spain and Morocco in December - anyone up for some of that this year, do get in touch. Tend to use smaller hostels or airbnb depending on quality, location and price for the access to kitchens and to avoid the masses, and happy to meet for a short while in a longer trip esp folk coming from elsewhere.

Happy days

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
40s female in UK here, definitely up for a Camino and for Portugal - anywhere in Europe including the former USSR/ eastern bits is good by me. Also, used to be a New Zealander so anyone wanting tips on maximising a trip there, I'll do what I can for you. Plus I lived in the US in the 1980s so not a total newbie on that front either.

I love southern coastal Spain and Morocco in December - anyone up for some of that this year, do get in touch. Tend to use smaller hostels or airbnb depending on quality, location and price for the access to kitchens and to avoid the masses, and happy to meet for a short while in a longer trip esp folk coming from elsewhere.

Happy days

The soonest I can do the Camino is around 2018.  Are you interested in Sri Lanka Nov 24 - Dec 6?  I have a travel  partner for the first 3 days and then I'm solo.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
Portugal

For Eastern Europe, many people navigate around Moldova (and other countries I'm sure), but it is a beautiful country with several interesting and inexpensive things to see.  It's one of my many options for long term vacationing when I reach FIRE in 18 months.  The Camino would be amazing (I love Spain, the people, food, and scenery).

31 - Have passport will travel

I'm going to Turkey and Israel for the first time in a few weeks, and have either Christmas/New Years or Thanksgiving to go anywhere.  I've been thinking central Vietnam or 1 to 2 countries in South America.  Both would be new experiences for me, and both would be awesome! 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
Count me in, although I don't really feel like traveling anymore, the results of a lifetime of backpacking and traveling on a shoestring for 40 years. But I'm sure the bug will eventually come back every now and then. My wife who is younger than I am, is not tired of travel so I may have to keep on going for a while...

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
I've updated the first post with a summary of the folks looking to either host or be hosted by Mustachians as they travel. Please let me know if you have any corrections.

Rika Non

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
I'm a bit of a traveler, have done a few wonderful trips, only semi-frugal though (Mongolia, Rappa Nui, Peru, most of Europe).  Typical Lonely Plant grade traveler. 

But I wouldn't mind being on this list.  Espcially if anyone might be doing some central CA hiking / trips.  I'm in okay but not crazy good shape.  Bakersfield is the gateway for the southern end of the Sierra Nevada.

Tax-code single, not actual single though.  :)  Just saying.

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »
Details unknown!  Haha ok - I live in Long Beach and love showing people around.  I'm a huge hiker too, and can take people or give recommendations for all manner of trips in SoCal and beyond.  Unfortunately I'm 10 years from FIRE so keeping my vicinity around here for now makes the most sense.  Hosting is iffy as my roommate is less excited about 'strangers.'

I highly highly recommend Vietnam btw!!  It's very cheap and possibly has the best food in the world.

slugsworth

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian world travelers (move to meetups)
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
I just wanted to mention that there is a pretty small group of MMM on couchsurfing; I've got my first MMM surfer crashing in May. If more people sign up it might be a better resource (hint, hint).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »
Meetup: Canadian Rockies.  Banff, Jasper, Yoho, etc.

A friend and I (both females) are potentially looking for a third to share fun, planning, and costs.

We are leaving from the Seattle area Friday, July 3rd morning (or maybe after work on the 2nd) and returning Sunday, July 12th.

This will be car camping and hikes most days.  Probably do canoeing one day and visit at least one hot springs.  Hikes will be max 12 miles per day, no more than 3000 ft elevation gain.  We will do meals at the camp and on the go.   I'm undecided about a higher ticket item (like gondola or ride out on the glacier).  Costs should be under $500 for the full 10 days if split 3/4 ways.  If we find a 4th will need someone to offer a larger vehicle or rent one (for camping, my civic is only good for 3 people + gear & luggage).

PM me if interested.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Subscribing to follow. The wife and I are leaving in a month to travel, and would love travel companions along the way.

Spain September '15, Germany October '15, not sure after that.  Anyone going to be traveling Eastern Europe in the fall/winter?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
I don't have any immediate travel plans, but I hope to slow travel around the world in a few years. Meeting MMM'ers at that point sounds great. In the meantime I'd love to meet anyone visiting NYC. I may be able to give you a couch for a night if I meet you beforehand, otherwise my boyfriend will not be happy.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
I'm always down to host rad people at my place. There's a thread here for prospective hosts that you could integrate with what you're doing now.

Fuck yeah AirMnM!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »
I love this idea! Subscribing to follow.

I'm in Seattle, I travel a lot (for work and fun) but happy to host fellow Mustachians when I'm here.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
I hope this thread is still active as I would love to join and meet other traveling MMMs.

Late 30s, living in London, UK.

Anyone got that link to MMM couchsurfing group? I own a place and happy to host people in this gravely expensive but lovely city.

Pinch.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 03:36:59 AM »
My post two above yours has the link.

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »
Interested! Currently living in Vancouver. But I know Toronto, Victoria and Hong Kong well. I've been around South East Asia and would love to go back some time (hello Thailand!).

Keep me posted.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
. . . and there is a separate actual couchsurfing group https://www.couchsurfing.com/groups/mr-money-mustache.

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
i would love to travel!  South USA and Caribbean mostly for now!  awesome idea starting this!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
following

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
Not a potential partner, but linking up with people while traveling would be awesome. I'm going to start traveling or move back to Korea when I get out of the Army. I want to become a citizen here, so I might not be doing heavy traveling for about seven years...or I might do the traveling first and chase citizenship later on.

Michael, can I ask why you want to be a citizen of Korea? I've been interested the last year or two in teaching English in Korea and I'm always curious to here from American/Canadian expats who live there about why they like it.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »
I'm a travel lover hoping to find some kind of work I can do from anywhere so I am not locked down on location while working my way to FIRE. I would love to go back to Central America and spend more time, as well as go back and visit old friends in Europe. I have some new interest these days in Asia, especially Korea and Thailand.

I wouldn't mind traveling with a group or buddy if the price were right.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
Subscribing to follow. The wife and I are leaving in a month to travel, and would love travel companions along the way.

Spain September '15, Germany October '15, not sure after that.  Anyone going to be traveling Eastern Europe in the fall/winter?

Update: We will have a baby if you travel with us in the future, but if you're willing to put up with that, for now our plans are: Istanbul through March, Athens after that, then Eastern Europe.  SoCal/Seattle briefly in May, then June-Dec not sure yet, but possibly Canada or Southeast Asia.

Still looking for travel companions, or even people to meet up with along the way, for however short or long.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
I have been spending the summers working, driving around the US. I would be interested to meet up for a coffee and tips on the local area. Hikes, things to do and see, etc. I cover most major cities and about 30 states...

The winters I have a sailboat in Panama. I can host travelers if I am here. Contact me and see when I am around. It is in Chiriqui province.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Sticky this please?

Mycalian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 02:55:17 PM »

South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
Portugal

That list is perfect. If you would love to visit the East African coast especially Mombasa, Malindi, Watamu, Ukunda and Diani, I could be of great help.

You will definitely enjoy the snorkeling and swimming with dolphins in Wasini Island.

Feel free to contact me.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »

South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
Portugal

That list is perfect. If you would love to visit the East African coast especially Mombasa, Malindi, Watamu, Ukunda and Diani, I could be of great help.

You will definitely enjoy the snorkeling and swimming with dolphins in Wasini Island.

Feel free to contact me.

I decided to work OMY so pushing this back to a November 2017 start date.  But, planning to take more kick-ass trips this year.  3 weeks in Ukraine, Israel, and Jordan in May and 2 weeks in Cuba in November.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
Following...

Mycalian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
Portugal

Feel free to contact me.

I decided to work OMY so pushing this back to a November 2017 start date.  But, planning to take more kick-ass trips this year.  3 weeks in Ukraine, Israel, and Jordan in May and 2 weeks in Cuba in November.

All the best JoJo.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 10:29:45 AM »
Portugal

For Eastern Europe, many people navigate around Moldova (and other countries I'm sure), but it is a beautiful country with several interesting and inexpensive things to see.  It's one of my many options for long term vacationing when I reach FIRE in 18 months.  The Camino would be amazing (I love Spain, the people, food, and scenery).

31 - Have passport will travel

I'm going to Turkey and Israel for the first time in a few weeks, and have either Christmas/New Years or Thanksgiving to go anywhere.  I've been thinking central Vietnam or 1 to 2 countries in South America.  Both would be new experiences for me, and both would be awesome!

Since this post I've made some leaps and bounds... I'll be moving the the country of Georgia (former USSR, east of the Black Sea) in April - yeah, like 2 months from now! - to join the Peace Corps.  I was pretty close to my FI number before the most recent pull back, and it's coming back up slowly with more investments and markets going up little by little, so I'm comfortable that I can leave my money for 2 years and let it do it's thing.  So this means I'll be travelling around the Caucuses for the coming years!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »

Since this post I've made some leaps and bounds... I'll be moving the the country of Georgia (former USSR, east of the Black Sea) in April - yeah, like 2 months from now! - to join the Peace Corps.  I was pretty close to my FI number before the most recent pull back, and it's coming back up slowly with more investments and markets going up little by little, so I'm comfortable that I can leave my money for 2 years and let it do it's thing.  So this means I'll be travelling around the Caucuses for the coming years!

That is so awesome!  You will love Georgia.  One of my favorite countries and one I want to go back to.  Armenia is a very easy trip to make from Georgia.

How was the process to get into the Peace Corps?  This is something I've thought of doing too.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:23 AM »
It was a relatively painless process, other than the medical.  There was a little pain there.  (After invite, they load tasks for medical clearance that you have 60 days to complete. My doctor's office was scheduling out 3 months, so I had to go to a completely new doctor in a different office.  However, even with a HDHP, my out of pocket costs were less than $100 because most things are preventive and they give a small reimbursement for medical costs.  Before my insurance kicked in, the costs were over $1300.)

I applied in late July, received an interview request in early August, was interviewed in early September, and was invited in late September for a position starting mid April.  It will be less than 9 months from application to leave date.  After invite, I worked on medical and dental, passport and visa, and now it's just a waiting game.

I'm an engineer hired as an English teacher.  I'm planning to do science and math fun clubs in basic English as a secondary project to educate the kids (targeting the girls, but including the boys) about STEM.  It's a 95% pay cut, but I'm extremely excited to take it on, and afterwards I'll either go full on nomad, apply to the foreign service (embassies), or work in Spain for a year or three as an English assistant.

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
Hey guys. Just a thought: Since you're talking about setting up a mustachian network.

I've done quite a bit of traveling by motorcycle across the US and Canada and I relied on a forum of motorcyclists that had set up a google earth map.

Basically anyone interested in hosting travelers told whoever was organizing the map to put them down as a pin. From there, travelers could get email or other PM contact to get a hold of the hosts. (It became necessary as they literally had hundreds of pins around the world).

Their map was conceived as a "tentspace" map. Where you could pitch a tent in random peoples' houses along the way. In reality 95% of the time they'd offer you a couch or a spare bedroom.

Figured it was an idea worth pitching here.

I know there's the moustache map thread right next to this one. I just imagine that one isn't implying "hit me up if you need a place to crash while you're traveling."

@janice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
Definitely in.

When around, I'm happy to host in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Travel Plans, 2016:

Currently - Washington (state)
Next Up - New York, Mississippi, Tennessee, another round in Washington (state) and Poland

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
My how this thread has grown!

I'm currently traveling around Central America. Send me a PM if you want to chat or meet up.

hyphenmeister

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
International Health Insurance vs Travel Insurance
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm posting this correctly. =)

My husband and I are in the process of planning a year-long RTW trip. We're pretty active travel hackers and we like to live frugally, and we've been saving for a while, but obviously want to spend the money in the best way possible. I'm doing some research on insurance for the trip, and can't really tell whether international health insurance or travel insurance makes the most sense from a cost/function stand point.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff that might be able to shed some light?

Thanks so much!