Author Topic: Mustachian world travelers (move to meetups)  (Read 24690 times)

westtoeast

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian world travelers (move to meetups)
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »
Posting to follow!

I'm just kicking off what will hopefully be a routine of regular solo travel. I'll be in Ireland in April and I'm trying to choose a destination for summer (maybe Portugal, maybe Quito, Ecuador). I'd love to find travel friends or people to meet up with along the way in my solo travels! I'm a teacher so I'm mainly interested in travel during July and August... unfortunately the spendy months to fly many places!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 03:44:27 AM »
Anyone here with kids?

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Building an international FIRE!
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:04 AM »
+1 for slow travel and low COL around the world!! Love the idea of the tent map.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
DW and I plan to fire in the next couple of months and move into an RV with our 3 dogs and travel around for several years.  Excited to hear everyone's plans!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »
Wife and I sold our home and moved into an RV last October. We've alternated between travelling/living in the RV, visiting and staying with friends and family, and finding short or medium term leases on apartments in cities.

We're currently in Charleston SC, here for all of February, and maybe part of next month. After this, the plan is either to go further south and spend extended time in Florida (see how awful a Florida summer actually is) or head back towards Western NY to spend the summer there. 

Anyone here with kids?
We have a two year old son, and a daughter due sometime around June.
Also two dogs. One very awesome, one kind of annoying, but lovable :)

Tree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 01:15:25 PM »
Hi everybody! I travel 3-5 months a year but am based in Philly. Slow travel through Asia is highest priority, but I'll go anywhere if the opportunity is right. I've done work exchanges for room and board before and that's been an amazing way to travel. I like to find a purpose especially on longer trips, not just see the sights. Volunteering, helping local businesses, learning new skills etc.

I'm based in Philly, but I work remotely, so if there's an internet connection and slow enough travel that I can still work for a few hours most days, I'm generally game.

vine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Noodles & Fish
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »
Anyone in Nepal currently? I'm here until mid June 2017 and would love to meet up with someone else who has lots of time. It's annoying to travel with people who are not retired - they are in too much of a rush!

After that I'll be in:
India form June to September
New Zealand October to December
???? January to whenever...

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »
We're going to be in Asia from late March through most of April. Mainly Thailand (Bangkok and Chiang Mai), and Cambodia. Also a week in Phu Quoc
Any chance anyone else is around?

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
I like this thread.  I've occasionally gotten some pretty great travel deals in the past.  (Most are last minute, so in general don't work for most people.)  The Mustachian Community seems like the perfect place to share travel plans with for a potential meetup.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
Any one going to be in the Balkans this mid Sept - october?

Aroundtheworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
Hi. I have been reading the blog since 2015 but just decided to join:) Anyway, does anyone want to meet in Prague sometime from April 10-17, 2019? It will be my first solo travel:)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Anyone want to caravan up the Dempster or Dalton Highways in July-August this year.    These are the gravel road up to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and Yukon/NWT.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
I'm in Sedona, Arizona at the moment heading to the Grand Canyon before heading East across the States to eventually make it home to Kingston by June.  Anyone around?  :)

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
I'm going to be in the Netherlands for rest of April to early May if any Mustachians are around.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
I'm in Sedona, Arizona at the moment heading to the Grand Canyon before heading East across the States to eventually make it home to Kingston by June.  Anyone around?  :)

We should be heading toward the Grand Canyon next week, how long will you be there @Cannot Wait! ?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
No set plans - taking it day by day...just waiting for it to warm up a little more before I head up!
Just checked out your blog - I'll contact you!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:14:32 PM by Cannot Wait! »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
I'll be in the Peak District floating on canal in August, anyone else?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
There is a slight chance my wife and I could do that in August. I think we might have already maxed out any reasonable amount of summer travel, but we don't currently have anything major planned for August and I know my wife would really like to drive the Dempster sooner or later...

We're in Alaska, so we are closer to either highway than most people. The Dalton is closer, but we have already driven it.

Do you have a general plan or agenda for the trip?

Anyone want to caravan up the Dempster or Dalton Highways in July-August this year.    These are the gravel road up to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and Yukon/NWT.

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
This looks awesome!

Me: Single, 33 y/o guy.

May be ready to FIRE in a few years if all goes according to plan. Then I'll be up for travelling and meeting other FIREies, especially those who are single and happy that way as I am.

I have this dream (posted about it somewhere else) of a bunch of single FIRies getting together and crashing at a luxurious resort hotel for a few weeks, sharing to keep the costs down, while living a quasi-multi-millionaire lifestyle! Not sure how many are into that! lol

Alternately, maybe just a few chill hangouts at a beach in Thailand or somewhere in the Mediterranean or a national park in the US or whatever. There are so many options.

Someone should start a Slack channel or a WhatsApp group for even more instantaneous updates!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:45:58 PM by conwy »

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »
60yo M, FIREd, looking for travel partners for some of my upcoming trips:

2019 Columbia (June 10-26, including hiking to Cuidad Perdida), Nepal (October - hiking, maybe to Everest Base Camp)

2020 New Zealand (Feb - including hiking one or more 'Great Walks'), Baltic States (Aug)

(for other upcoming 2019-20 trips I either plan to travel alone or already have arrangements made - Croatia/Bosnia, Madagascar, Cuba, Australia)

PM if interested. I'm not strictly low budget but am happy to travel that way when it doesn't interfere with other requirements such as timing, getting to 'must-sees,' etc.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »

2019 Columbia (June 10-26, including hiking to Cuidad Perdida), Nepal (October - hiking, maybe to Everest Base Camp)

2020 New Zealand (Feb - including hiking one or more 'Great Walks'), Baltic States (Aug)

(for other upcoming 2019-20 trips I either plan to travel alone or already have arrangements made - Croatia/Bosnia, Madagascar, Cuba, Australia)

PM if interested. I'm not strictly low budget but am happy to travel that way when it doesn't interfere with other requirements such as timing, getting to 'must-sees,' etc.

Sounds like you have some amazing trips planned! Makes me wish I was FIRE already.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »

Sounds like you have some amazing trips planned! Makes me wish I was FIRE already.

Thanks, Cookie! Having the time to travel, and to sometimes slow travel, is one of the best things about FIRE for me.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • World of Wonders, Words of Wisdom
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
New and interesting thread re. India for 2020.
Although
India is possibly the most fascinating country on the planet, unfortunately it is one of the most difficult places to travel in. Besides the heat, discomfort, superbugs and poor hygiene, the most irritating aspect about lndia is the constant harassment and cheating... so I am looking for 1 or 2 (a couple would be fine )people to travel with me in the predominantly hindu South.
Now, l have a special request/ proposition. You would act as " bodyguards" and deal with all of the hotel, transportation, etc. logistics/negotiations, as well as all of the street level hassles. ln exchange, l would cover some of your costs ( hotel, food, transport, etc).
l am late 50's, M , secular, apolitical, open-minded, and have worked/travelled in over 45 countries, Fired at 50.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:51:41 PM by Korrywow »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
FWIW I thought the south of India was lovely/