Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup Fall 2019  (Read 18940 times)

WackyWanderers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wacky Wanderers
Re: Moab, Utah, USA meetup Fall 2019
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Awesome!  Glad you can make it!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »
I won't be able to attend this year after all. I hope you all have a great time as we did last year!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »
Hey 94 et al, Mrs. aperture and I had a great time last year, but we can't make it this year. I hope you all have buckets of fun.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »
I won't make it :(

Even though I will be on a road trip in the western USA at the time of this meetup (Sept 26-30), I probably won't actually be in the Moab area until around mid-October.

I'm kinda bummed out, as I will also be missing out on the CM*TO 2019 fun, in early Sept, back in Canada.

Regardless of my circumstances....

I wish NinetyFour and everyone a fun and great time at the upcoming Moab meetup.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
We have decided to sell our 1993 winnebago motor home with 42k miles on the West coast if anyone is interested. 

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »
@avrex Are you coming to see me? :D
Unfortunately, no.  :(

Although your area of the country is very beautiful, on this trip I'm only going to get as close as Glacier/Waterton National Parks.
I'll be checking out several of the National parks in the USA west.

I'll miss you @ToTheMoon

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Aaaarrrrgghhh, I have to cancel! I've been so looking forward to the meetup.
Having some serious camper woes. It spontaneously fell apart while I've been visiting family back east. It's not moveable and the manufacturer can't send anyone to fix it until October 1st. No Moab fun for me :-(

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »
I have a tent site reserved.  Lhamo, I can set you up in a 9x9 dome tent you can stand up in, an air mattress with adequate padding and insulation and most anything else you might need to camp.  I sleep in the car so you would have the tent to yourself.  My name is shadowmoss and I am a hoarder of stuff including camping gear.  I can even set up a portable hammock stand and let you use my camping hammock that has an underquilt and bug netting attached.  Let me know and I'll start pulling out the gear.  I'm bored and need to go through it anyway.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
I will have 2 hammock stands, maybe (just remembered one is a pain to haul) and multiple hammocks.  I used to be very active on hammockforums.net back around 2006 to 2008 and had planned to hike the Appalachian trail sometime, a lost dream.  However, I can show how to fabricate a travel stand in a few hours with a small investment and can play show and tell on a few different styles.  If anyone can stay awake while actually in the hammocks.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
I am looking at flying into Salt Lake City on the Thursday or early Friday morning, departing Monday.  Anybody else going to be arriving there that might want/need a ride?  I am hoping to book my flight by this evening - just waiting on a friend to decide if she is going to come along or not...

Trying to not get excited until I actually hit go, but.....wheeee!!!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
We are booked!  Myself and my friend will be flying into SLC early Thursday morning and heading straight for Moab, and departing again from SLC Monday evening. We will be camping at Canyonlands in a "Front Tent" side - wherever that will put us. If anyone wants to share the site - just let me know and I will confirm the details.

Really excited to do some hiking, and if anyone would like to try stand up paddleboarding, I am planning to do the "Splish and Splash" adventure and would love if anyone wanted to join! https://paddlemoab.com/moab-utah-stand-up-paddle-boarding/

See you soon-ish, TTM

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
We are booked! 
Awesome! 94 assures me you are excellent company. I look forward to meeting you and your friend.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2019, 06:08:05 AM »
I've lost track of who will be attending our Second Annual Moab Meetup!!  Hope to see lots of folks in The Beehive State.

I will arrive at the campground on September 25.  I will be driving a silver Toyota Tundra with a white Four Wheel Hawk camper on top.  Colorado license plate.  Feel free to come by and knock on my camper door!

We can also use this thread or PMs to contact each other.

The campground has free wifi for its guests.

If anyone needs me to bring extra tents, pillows, sleeping bags, cooking/eating utensils, etc., please let me know.  I'll be happy to do that.

Looking forward to seeing you around a campfire soon!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
I will be in Moab a week from today!!!  Can’t wait!!!  😁🧗‍♀️🍺🚲

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2019, 09:41:24 AM »
I am canceling.  I went on a 4 day trip last week and i am whipped by just that much camping.  I will be calli g later to cancel my reservation at the campground so if anyine wants it let me know or just call them.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
@shadowmoss

Oh no! I hope you will reconsider - I have been looking forward to meeting you! It's still days away, perhaps you will be ready to camp again? 😉

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
Sigh...  You have no idea how much it means to me that someone is looking forward to seeing me.  I have drug my feet on calli g and canceling.  I'll ponder it some more.  Whichever way I go thanks so much for the post.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
@shadowmoss

I was actually going to ask you if you think it would work for us to share a campsite since there doesn't seem to be any last-minute joiners? (And if there are, they had better speak up ASAP so we can try to save space!) We are two people, one tent and one rental car.  Would that be allowed on one site if you were also parked? Do you sleep in your car or is it a campervan of sorts?

Edit: I just called and it is a bit of a no-go. Worth a shot.

The weather looks absolutely perfect for daytime play and evenings around the firepit - I really do hope that you come and join us!

Also, it would be great if there is anyone else who is on the fence and will decide to join us last minute! Sounds like we may be a group of around 10 who will be out and about around Moab?

@NinetyFour Any chance you or a friend have a Coleman stove that you could bring along for us to use? I have one that I have flown with before, but it is kind of a pain. I would prefer to use a Coleman over my backpacking stove if we are in a campground - way less fuss!

I am getting excited!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:41:25 PM by ToTheMoon »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2019, 05:52:37 PM »
I will have a single burner stove as well as a jetboil.  I will have a backpacking tent as well as a couple of cheap tents meant to show the site is taken.  I'll bring the travel hammock stand and a few hammocks.  I'm going to take the opportunity to sort some of my gear.  I should make a list...

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
@shadowmoss

I was actually going to ask you if you think it would work for us to share a campsite since there doesn't seem to be any last-minute joiners? (And if there are, they had better speak up ASAP so we can try to save space!) We are two people, one tent and one rental car.  Would that be allowed on one site if you were also parked? Do you sleep in your car or is it a campervan of sorts?

Edit: I just called and it is a bit of a no-go. Worth a shot.

The weather looks absolutely perfect for daytime play and evenings around the firepit - I really do hope that you come and join us!

Also, it would be great if there is anyone else who is on the fence and will decide to join us last minute! Sounds like we may be a group of around 10 who will be out and about around Moab?

@NinetyFour Any chance you or a friend have a Coleman stove that you could bring along for us to use? I have one that I have flown with before, but it is kind of a pain. I would prefer to use a Coleman over my backpacking stove if we are in a campground - way less fuss!

I am getting excited!

I am still deciding if I will join you all, driving in from southern CA - one person, sleeping in a Honda CRV (so I would just need a vehicle space, no tent space). I was interested in possibly sharing a spot if available as well so I’m curious what you found out when you called.  There are still tent sites available so if I needed to get my own site, looks like it would still be possible.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »
@Almosthw

The gal I spoke with first told me no, that two passenger vehicles are a not allowed. I then pressed her on it since the website says something about an extra vehicle being $5/day. She then told me that they have to park far away in the overflow.

However, I just looked at the map, and it looks as though the overflow is directly behind the tent sites so it might not be much of a bother at all. I will call tomorrow to see if they will tell me my exact site. I feel like we can make something work, and worst case it sounds like @shadowmoss (yeah! She's coming!) will have an extra tent or two. 🙂
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:25:56 PM by ToTheMoon »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 08:12:33 AM »
My DH and I are staying at the Hotel Moab, about a 1/2 mile away from the campground. Could one of the campers kindly loan us plates and silverware? My camp cooking skills don't extend much beyond heating up a can of chili, but hanging out by the camp fire sounds very fun!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
* shadowmoss makes note to pack more dishes and utensils.

Actually I may be drawn and quartered for saying this but paper plates and disposible utensils could also work here.

I will have room on my site for a tent or someone can use my backpacking tent.  I will be sleeping in the Mazda3.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
* shadowmoss makes note to pack more dishes and utensils.

Actually I may be drawn and quartered for saying this but paper plates and disposible utensils could also work here.

I will have room on my site for a tent or someone can use my backpacking tent.  I will be sleeping in the Mazda3.
You know, we just had a party this weekend and have lots of disposables left over. I'll try to squeeze a few into my luggage.

I look forward to meeting you, shadowmoss!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »
😁

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
@LifeHappens  I will bring lots of extra utensils, dishes, etc.

@ToTheMoon The only stove I have is a Pocket Rocket backpacking stove, which I will bring.  I also have a stove in my camper, which you are welcome to use, though I would prefer that meat not be cooked in there, as I am a vegetarian.

Everyone—let me know what else you might need.

I will return home tomorrow from Ontario, and have about 24 hours to unpack from this trip, do laundry and grocery shopping and then pack up for Moab!  I will arrive in Moab (at the campground) on Weds.

When is everyone else arriving?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
I will be there Wednesday sometime.  It is raining here which is putting me behind on packing the camping gear.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get to the storage unit and sort it all out.

WackyWanderers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wacky Wanderers
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
We'll be there Wednesday afternoon, coming a short distance away from Dinosaur National Monument.  We may be on a bit of a different schedule than the rest of you with our kids and all, but we'll do our best to hang out.  We'll definitely be by the pool a lot, if nothing else, as our kids are pretty excited for that.

We'll be the Airstream being towed by a blue Sprinter with license plate "WACKY"

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »
We'll be the Airstream being towed by a blue Sprinter with license plate "WACKY"
Drool! If you're up for giving camper tours, I'd love to see your rig. Huge Airstream fan!

94, DH and I will be getting in to town Friday afternoon.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2019, 03:22:19 AM »
I’d also love to get a tour of your Wacky rig(s)!!

Thanks for your arrival info, folks!  Looks like this is really going to happen!!!

I have a couple coolers that I can bring if anyone would like to use one for the weekend.  Just let me know.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2019, 05:04:51 AM »
I have a couple coolers that I can bring if anyone would like to use one for the weekend.  Just let me know.
If you have a small cooler we can use for campfire beers I would really appreciate it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2019, 05:12:55 AM »
Yep—no problem!  🍻

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2019, 10:56:19 AM »
I just attempted to load the travel hammock stand into the Mazda3.  Turns out it doesn't fit.  I guess I had the motorhome with me the other times I've had it with me.  Sorry for the false advertising.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
In a wonderful Mustachian coincidence, this Saturday, September 28 is Public Lands Day. This means all national parks are free to enter!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
In a wonderful Mustachian coincidence, this Saturday, September 28 is Public Lands Day. This means all national parks are free to enter!

Well, this is a good thing, yes, but it also means we would be fighting the crowds...if we want to do an Arches hike on Saturday, we may want to get an *early* start!

WackyWanderers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wacky Wanderers
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
We’re just pulling into the campground now— we are site #9.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
Im stuck in construction traffic backups a half hour away.  Hope to be there by 6.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »
Checked in and at site 110 in a red Mazda3.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
I am in site G7.  😊🚲🎃

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
@ToTheMoon you will be in site G6--right next to me!!  :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »
Folks who are here in the campground--I think I am going to turn in early tonight.  I am still in recovery mode from the Ontario trip.

My tentative plan is to head out tomorrow on the early side for a bike ride in the trail system just north of Arches.  I forget what it is called.  I will probably be back to the campground in the early afternoon.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Excellent!  We are at our hotel - our shuttle leaves for the airport at 4am. We hope to arrive into Moab mid-afternoon.  See you all soon (ish.)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2019, 08:17:13 AM »
Excellent!  We are at our hotel - our shuttle leaves for the airport at 4am. We hope to arrive into Moab mid-afternoon.  See you all soon (ish.)

Awesome!!  Safe travels!!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
I would have loved to meet up with you guys, but this is too early for our annual road trip to Mexico, we are not leaving until early November.

If any of you enjoy dispersed camping and hiking in some beautiful free sites, do not miss Gemini Bridges, it is a must. Great dispersed camping is possible almost anywhere but there are a few campsites. It is on BLM so it is free to camp. Two roads get there, the easy one via Hwy 313, the hellish one via 191. I just followed Google Maps, guess which one I took  :D

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »
Does your trek to Mexico bring you any place in AZ?  Asking for a friend...

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
Does your trek to Mexico bring you any place in AZ?  Asking for a friend...

We cross into the USA in Montana, then drive down through Utah and Arizona, and generally cross to Mexico at Nogales or Lukeville. We usually blast through Montana and northern Utah but we take our time as soon as we reach the warmer areas in Utah, where we start to meander around the Four-Corner states. We camp exclusively on BLM. AZ is definitely my favorite.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
Pop me a pm when you know when/where and I'll run over and spend a night and sit arou d a campfire or whatever.  I am usually up for any place in the state.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »
Pop me a pm when you know when/where and I'll run over and spend a night and sit arou d a campfire or whatever.  I am usually up for any place in the state.

Will definitely do. I am in the middle of planning an epic trip from Canada to Guatemala with my four adult children...they are all broke Millenials LOL and they live in different parts of Canada (BC, Alberta, Quebec)...but since I am the one who wants them all to come on this adventure... it means this won't be a very mustachian trip (for me at least...), even if we will be camping on public land and cooking our own meals most of the time...

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »

Will definitely do. I am in the middle of planning an epic trip from Canada to Guatemala with my four adult children...they are all broke Millenials LOL and they live in different parts of Canada (BC, Alberta, Quebec)...but since I am the one who wants them all to come on this adventure... it means this won't be a very mustachian trip (for me at least...), even if we will be camping on public land and cooking our own meals most of the time...
Seconding this request/invitation from Shadowmoss. We are in the Phoenix area Nov. and Dec., which is the only time when we are in an actual RV park instead of BLM land.
Would love to swap stories and chat around a campfire, when you are in the area, Saddle Mountain BLM or somewhat close to Phoenix.

DH has travelled in Guatemala with his RV, so may have some tips for you as well.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
We're driving down from SLC today. DH and I are staying at the Hotel Moab about a 1/2 mile from the campground. We'll be at the Moab Brewery tonight at 6pm if anyone wants to join us for a brew. I'm wearing a blue Rosie the Riveter t-shirt.

Any plans for hikes on Saturday and Sunday?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!