Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98053 times)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Finally got through. I have the last site in Row 6. They have no more RV sites for the smith group but can add if needed.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
The following have booked a site at Canyonlands campground for the "Oct 18-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

Row 3   (Large RV Sites)
plugging away 
FrugalZony 
2Saving4Life

Row 6   (Small RV Sites)
CanuckExpat
arebelspy + family
Caoineag

Row 7 (Tent Sites 103-106)
avrex & jordanread

Row 8  (Tent Sites 108-113)
LWTG & Stasher
RetireCanada
Aperture
NinetyFour & Daisy
ToTheMoon
Cork + two buddies

Campground map

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
The following have booked a site at Canyonlands campground for the "Oct 18-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

Row 3   (Large RV Sites)
plugging away 
FrugalZony 
2Saving4Life

Row 6   (Small RV Sites)
CanuckExpat
arebelspy + family
Caoineag

avrex & jordanread

Row 8  (Tent Sites 108-113)
LWTG & Stasher
RetireCanada - site available
Aperture
NinetyFour & Daisy
ToTheMoon
Cork + two buddies

Row G [Tents w/ No Services]
Retire Canada

Campground map

I just change my reservation to Row G as I am staying longer than the event and I like those sites better so I figured I would save myself the hassle of moving camp. It's a 30 sec walk from the "Smith Group" tents in Row 8 to the "Outer Reaches" in Row G.

I asked them to leave my Row 8 site held for the Smith Group if anyone wants it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
Finally got through. I have the last site in Row 6. They have no more RV sites for the smith group but can add if needed.

Sweet!  Looking forward to seeing you, neighbor!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
What's the actual cost per day for these things, anyways? I just booked and they charged a $61.something deposit, but I realized I have no idea what the cost per night is.  We probably will want to stay longer, and if this place books up, I might just want to book a few extra days on the front or back end now, before those days sell out (even if that's 5 months from now or whatever).  Could cancel those days later anyways, I suppose and get a refund.

Also I never got a emailed receipt as promised. Did anyone else not get one? Maybe they typo'd my email when recording it?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
Deposit is one night. So what ever they charged you is the nightly cost for your site.

I got two emailed receipts (saying same thing but with different names)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
Is this mostly a hiking or mountain biking adventure? Or both?

I am a cyclist, but haven't done much mountain biking. But I can train for it beforehand. I am actually excited to possibly try some "real" mountain biking, being from flatland Florida and all. We do have some mountain biking trails around here. I have mostly done the easy inter-trail rock filled roads between the real trails on my hybrid bike, and have also gone riding on a beach path with hard packed sand (interspersed with some soft patches so requires some skill there) also on my hybrid bike.

Is there any paddling (canoeing/kayaking) around there as well?

Although the best part of this trip is to celebrate 94's retirement and hang out with cool (current and future) FIREees.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Yes to all of the above. You can bike, hike and paddle in the Moab area.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
We probably will want to stay longer,

I'll be there with friends from 13-22 Oct 2018. I may or may not stay 23-26 Oct 2018 as well.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »

Yes to all of the above. You can bike, hike and paddle in the Moab area.

My new FPP...4 days is not enough time to enjoy all that Moab has to offer.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »
My new FPP...4 days is not enough time to enjoy all that Moab has to offer.

A couple weeks at a time and 4 visits wouldn't scratch the surface. I've been going for 25yrs. Love the place. I just bike. Haven't even gotten around to paddling or hiking.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »

I am a cyclist, but haven't done much mountain biking. But I can train for it beforehand. I am actually excited to possibly try some "real" mountain biking, being from flatland Florida and all. We do have some mountain biking trails around here. I have mostly done the easy inter-trail rock filled roads between the real trails on my hybrid bike, and have also gone riding on a beach path with hard packed sand (interspersed with some soft patches so requires some skill there) also on my hybrid bike.

Although the best part of this trip is to celebrate 94's retirement and hang out with cool (current and future) FIREees.

Daisy,

Just to help give you ideas: http://www.discovermoab.com/colorado_river.htm

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
So we should just stay the entire month of October or something? :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

I'm tempted to book extra random nights that month, but with a gap in between. So we can boondock, then go there and dump/fill up and stay for a bit, then boondock, then go back, etc.

Mix staying there every little bit for a night (plus the 4 MMM nights) with mostly boondocking in the nearby area.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »

What is a non RV dweller to do...new FPP problems.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2017, 03:49:24 PM »
Posting to follow...this is mighty tempting...

jordanread

« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

It's gonna be fun!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: December 11, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »

Doooooo iiiiiitttttt!!!  It is going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!  :D

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
I searched for hostels in the Moab area to supplement the days I am not with the group camping and found this hostel. It had good reviews on Trip Advisor and Yelp.

The dorm rooms and private rooms are very cheap.

They also have houses that can house 10-20 people. It looks like an interesting alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with this hostel?

http://www.lazylizardhostel.com/

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
I do not have experience with it, but there's a good chance I will be in Moab in the next few months, and could drop in and check it out, if that would help.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this hostel?

http://www.lazylizardhostel.com/

I had a friend stay there. There general vibe I got from his feedback was that it was cheap and okay, but on the rundown side of what you might expect from a hostel.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
I do not have experience with it, but there's a good chance I will be in Moab in the next few months, and could drop in and check it out, if that would help.

Great!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
The only time I was ever in Moab was when I was camping there in early Sept, a few years back.  We normally do car/tent camping.  However, for that trip, we were in a rented RV.  (We don't normally rent RVs, but I found a sweet $1 RV repositioning deal that I couldn't refuse.)

Even though we were in an RV, as I recall, the night time temperatures in Moab were perfect for tent camping.

Well, I just looked it up, and I'll admit it....I didn't realize how cold the nights in Moab will be, at the time of year of our MMM meetup.

The average low is not much above freezing.
37 F  /  3 C

My eventual plan is to buy a RV/travel trailer for road trips when both my wife and I are retired.
I do enjoy tent camping and I don't think I want to accelerate my RV/travel trailer purchase plans just yet.

So, it looks like I'll need to purchase some type of heater for my tent.  Brrr.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
HEATER in a TENT? It is called a sleeping bag.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
The only time I was ever in Moab was when I was camping there in early Sept, a few years back.  We normally do car/tent camping.  However, for that trip, we were in a rented RV.  (We don't normally rent RVs, but I found a sweet $1 RV repositioning deal that I couldn't refuse.)

Even though we were in an RV, as I recall, the night time temperatures in Moab were perfect for tent camping.

Well, I just looked it up, and I'll admit it....I didn't realize how cold the nights in Moab will be, at the time of year of our MMM meetup.

The average low is not much above freezing.
37 F  /  3 C

My eventual plan is to buy a RV/travel trailer for road trips when both my wife and I are retired.
I do enjoy tent camping and I don't think I want to accelerate my RV/travel trailer purchase plans just yet.

So, it looks like I'll need to purchase some type of heater for my tent.  Brrr.

You can get a personal space heater for pretty cheap https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-Personal-Electric-Ceramic-Heater-250-Watt-MH-01-Black/54562671?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3762&adid=22222222227052822078&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=151777312295&wl4=pla-263800053309&wl5=1016103&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54562671&wl13=3762&veh=sem

You would just need a small battery pack you can plug into to and place it somewhere you can reach from your bag so you can tun on before you get out of the bed to remove the chill.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #325 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
Ok we're in. I've left a message at the resort to make a reservation but they seem to be working really slow this time of year (can't say I blame them). Ideally I'm aiming for RV site 74-76 as we have a small rig and don't need a sewer hookup. I'll update the big list when I get confirmation. Unfortunately my wife can only get one day off work so we'll be arriving Thursday and need to leave Sunday afternoon to drive back to Denver.

I'd love to organize (note: not "guide" as liability is a funny thing) a group adventure if people were interested. A couple ideas for unique things I'm qualified for:

1) Canyoneering, maybe this one: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/moab/uturn http://climb-utah.com/Moab/uturn.htm ? Think of it as a short but very steep 2 mile hike in Arches National Park away from all the people where you get to do a couple easy bolted rappels. Not at all recommended for those with a fear of heights. There are a ton of beginner friendly canyons in the Moab area, some I've done and some I haven't. I have all the ropes and hard gear for the rappelling, and I have the webbing for 2 extra harnesses but beyond that you'd need to bring your own harness and helmet. If other people had experience and wanted to do something more challenging I'd love to do that too!

2) Rafting. Whitewater is my big sport and I've guided rafts for years. There is a Class I/II river with one class III rapid called the Fisher Towers section just upstream of Moab on the Colorado: https://www.canyonvoyages.com/fisher-towers-day/ I've never run it before but it's a very family friendly stretch (they say good for 4+ years old). The one problem is it could be fairly cold that time of year. We can rent a paddle raft and bring our own food for about $25-30/person for a full day adventure that I could steer vs. about $60-$80pp if you went with one of the local outfitters.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #326 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
I'd love to organize (note: not "guide" as liability is a funny thing) a group adventure if people were interested. A couple ideas for unique things I'm qualified for:

1) Canyoneering, maybe this one: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/moab/uturn http://climb-utah.com/Moab/uturn.htm ? Think of it as a short but very steep 2 mile hike in Arches National Park away from all the people where you get to do a couple easy bolted rappels. Not at all recommended for those with a fear of heights. There are a ton of beginner friendly canyons in the Moab area, some I've done and some I haven't. I have all the ropes and hard gear for the rappelling, and I have the webbing for 2 extra harnesses but beyond that you'd need to bring your own harness and helmet. If other people had experience and wanted to do something more challenging I'd love to do that too!

I'm down and will bring all my gear, I have a second harness , atc and helmet as well as ropes. This is right up my alley and how cool that the routes are bolted.

jordanread

« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
My little brother just bought a chunk of camping gear, and in it, there was a harness and shoes. Haven't done anything more than bouldering, but it might be an option.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
I will be up for rock climbing for sure and more than happy to setup top-ropes for people who have little or no experience with the sport, provided that they at least have harnesses, shoes, and helmets. 

Singletrack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: January 02, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
I'm in! I called and booked campsite 113.

I am an avid mountain biker and have been to the area many times. Excited to connect with everyone!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »
I'm in! I called and booked campsite 113.

I am an avid mountain biker and have been to the area many times. Excited to connect with everyone!

YAY!!  This is going to be soooooo fun!!  :D

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »

2) Rafting. Whitewater is my big sport and I've guided rafts for years. There is a Class I/II river with one class III rapid called the Fisher Towers section just upstream of Moab on the Colorado: https://www.canyonvoyages.com/fisher-towers-day/ I've never run it before but it's a very family friendly stretch (they say good for 4+ years old). The one problem is it could be fairly cold that time of year. We can rent a paddle raft and bring our own food for about $25-30/person for a full day adventure that I could steer vs. about $60-$80pp if you went with one of the local outfitters.

Those both sound awesome. Do we have to pick only one? :)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »
I just booked a cabin (I think I'm the first one in a cabin?!) online - 18th-22nd. If I am still in Colorado, I (or me and SO) will probably drive over the mountain with some gear... if I'm not in CO (which is quite possible), I will likely come along solo, and go the more expensive route of flying into SLC and renting a car.

I've lived ~6-7 hours from Moab my entire life, visited the area as a young kid, and driven through it as an adult, but never really checked it out, and I am super excited to combine the awesome surroundings with a weekend of old and new mustachian friends.

I have never done any canyoneering, rafting, or mountain biking, but I am definitely interested in hiking and walking in the parks, if not more adventurous new things as well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:23:07 PM by kudy »

jordanread

« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
@kudy I'll be heading north to I70, since it seems faster. If you do wind up driving, feel free to let me know if you want to caravan.

SoReadyToQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
This sounds like fun. Never been to a meetup. Good excuse to get out to one of my favorite places.

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #335 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »
I'm disappointed to say I just cancelled my reservation and will not be coming to Moab for the meet up. State finals of my kids sports team was announced for that same weekend in my home town and I'm a team coach. Poor timing. Hopefully I can meet up another time with MMMers.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
I'm interested in this - do you know if we can do extra vehicles in one reserved spot? i.e. could I add onto someone's reservation and I pay a portion of the fee?    I have a Transit Connect, size of a mini van, and I sleep in this.  It's a bit ridiculous to pay $44 a night + tax for just myself. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: May 09, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Hey 94, I may be bringing a tent after all on this trip. I'm still reserved for your site, right?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2018, 09:42:48 PM »
PTF. Since it looks like I'm staying in Cali for awhile and only doing short trips sans Barkinator I'm hoping I can make this too. Also have a mini van but still too far out to make plans but will likely come with BF.

ETA just tried link but didn't work. Prob my phone as it seems to be messed up.

That would be awesome.

I'm sure I'm not alone in these thoughts.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
PTF. Since it looks like I'm staying in Cali for awhile and only doing short trips sans Barkinator I'm hoping I can make this too. Also have a mini van but still too far out to make plans but will likely come with BF.

ETA just tried link but didn't work. Prob my phone as it seems to be messed up.

Let me know if you want to share a spot.  I need to be down in LA on Sept 17th and was planning on slowly making my way across the SW to moab.  Will need to head back home pretty quick after Moab (assuming I still have a job at that point - it's day to day right now.).

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
That will be awesome if you can make it @spartana  :)

jordanread

« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »
That will be awesome if you can make it @spartana  :)

+15

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
I'm officially registered for one of the tent sites - Row 7, I think.... waiting for confirmation email.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
Well I tried to make a reservation, and we are too big for the park. :-(  But that doesn't mean we can't be thereat a different park. 

We'll stay in touch with this group so we can link up while we're travelling

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Hey, Moab is approaching!

I may arrive in Utah a week earlier and would be up for meeting up with people and seeing some of the other parks in the area.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: August 08, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
Hey, Moab is approaching!

I may arrive in Utah a week earlier and would be up for meeting up with people and seeing some of the other parks in the area.

Looking forward to seeing you, Daisy.  I will most likely get out to the Moab area early, as well, since I live relatively close by.

I hope everyone else still plans to attend and is looking forward to hiking, or biking, or relaxing, or all of the above!!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: August 08, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I'll be in the campground from 13 - 22 Oct 2018. I'll be mountain biking each day probably 10am-4pm or so, but I'll be around in the morning to chat over a coffee and in the evening to chat over a beer/campfire. I'll be staying around for the week after the event to keep riding. At the moment not sure where I will stay...probably someplace cheaper as I may be solo.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »
I will have to giver to get back up to Canada as I have a freelance photography gig that I just committed too on October 26th. So far the trip is still looking bang on for me to attend and enjoy.

J'Oden

• Handlebar Stache
  • Fail Gloriously > Not Venture (hence FL)
« Reply #348 on: August 09, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
Changed my identity, but still on for this, assuming @avrex and I are still sharing a spot.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
Changed my identity, but still on for this, assuming @avrex and I are still sharing a spot.

Hi @J_Oden.  Yep, we're still on.  My plan is still to attend.  However....

Mind you, at this point, my probability still stands at 60% for attending.
If I can't go, I will definitely post here to let others know that the site is available.

...I may not be able to get the time off of work to go on this trip.
Plus, my vehicle A/C also died.  We'll see.

I'll have a clearer picture of my status when you see me at CM*TO.

avrex & J_Oden

Either way, if I can't attend, the site is yours.  :)