Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98072 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
UPDATE:

Looks like several of us will be staying here:

https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/canyonlands

This place can accommodate tents, RVs (within limitations), and folks who would prefer to stay in small cabins.  Hotels can also be found nearby (within walking distance, I believe).  October in Moab can get busy, so if you are interested, you might make your reservations soon (and check the cancellation policy, of course).  Hope to see lots of mustachians in Moab in about 11 months!!

Seems like quite a few folks enjoy Moab or would like to visit it.  I live just a few hours from there and enjoy both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks frequently.

As I will most likely retire in the summer of 2018, how about if some of us gather in Moab to help me celebrate my freedom and my ability to, at that point, spend as much time as I want to in beautiful places like Moab?

Yes, it's a ways off, but here is a place we can start throwing ideas around.

So far, we are thinking of using a group campsite at Arches, which is just outside Moab.  Moab itself has hotels and airbnb options for those who might not want to camp.

At Arches, the Canyon Wren group camp site can accommodate 35 people, while the Juniper Basin site can fit 55!

You can read more about Arches here.

And here is where campsites are reserved.

It's a beautiful place.  It would be a really fun time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:43:18 PM by NinetyFour »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Moab, Utah, USA in October 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »
I'm in, but I am a wimp and will be staying in Moab. Any other wimps want to go in with me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
Oh, and I guess the gathering is being dubbed "Hot Flash 2018", but pre-menopausal women (and men!) are also welcome!!

Thanks to Exhale for helping to get this idea off the ground! 

These 2 years will fly by--right?  right??

scrubbyfish

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »
Happiness!

Sounds like a great way to meet the needs of folks with children and without, all levels of "affordable," etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
That's too far out to confirm for sure, but definitely interested!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
I'm in and can't wait to celebrate NinetyFour's FIRE!

NinetyFour, if you're in Arches again anytime soon, perhaps you can scope out the campsites (wish I'd thought of it while I was there). I saw online that both of the group sites were labelled "tent only" which I assume means you couldn't bring your camper. (Does that sound right? Or is there some fine print that I missed that allows vans and campers?) BTW - due to construction, Devils Garden Campground will be closed March 1, 2017 through October 31, 2017.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
Hmm, I'm definitely interested but may be in Poland by then...  Let's see how my plans shape up.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
I was thinking about attending Prospectors Camp Mustache Ontario next October; and could not do both. But then I re-read the title and see your talking the following year.

So I'll post to follow, been dreaming of Mountain biking in Moab for over 20 years. I'd def be up for a group campsite. That sounds Awesome!!

Of course as others have mentioned, no idea what 2 years will bring.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
We are interested.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »
October 2018 is my earliest and most likely retirement date. I have been dreaming of a trip to the US to travel the West, California, Nevada, Arizona and the parks of Utah. This could be an ideal opportunity to include Moab and meet some leading Mustachians! I am tentatively in. Just have to persuade the DW to get on a plane to the States(think B.A. Baracus).

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:12:04 PM »
This sounds amazing!  I've never been to that part of the country, and a road trip out there is on my list for post-FIRE.  Since I'm looking at April 2018 for FIRE, that should work ... EXCEPT ... I'm planning to take 3-4 months of FIRE-dom and then head back to school full time in Fall 2018.

Maybe I could work it as a fly-in weekender rather than a road trip.  It's a possibility!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »
Will we sing campfire songs?? Who here plays guitar??

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 08:42:11 PM »
Who here plays guitar??
Not me, but I can rock a rhythm egg.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:48:40 PM »
Sounds fun. Let's do it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 02:42:41 AM »
This sounds interesting - might even revise my opinion of The Arches. But probably not - there is NO WAY it will not be overcrowded.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
This sounds interesting - might even revise my opinion of The Arches. But probably not - there is NO WAY it will not be overcrowded.

Even in October? At least less crowded than June-September...

Having been in a Australian national parks with Deborah and discussed this topic, she's right.

Australia rarely has all 12 residents in one place at the same time, so our parks, even at their low point, seem relatively crowded.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 08:17:22 AM »

Even in October? At least less crowded than June-September...

From what I read on Mountain biking forums I get the impression October is more or less "high" season for Moab due to the Summers being so hot. Not sure about the National parks themselves.

But crowded is relative of course. Having spent time in Acadia, Shenandoah, and Great smokies pretty much any Park West of the Mississippi never feels crowded to me.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »

That's why going in autumn (I was just there) and staying in the park itself key. Staying in the park gives us easy access to the less crowded times of day. If we bring headlamps/flashlights we can also spend sunrise/sunset at some awesome locations. Note: the Needles section of Canyonlands is amazing and wasn't at all crowded when I was there last week (people don't take the time to go since it's further away from Moab).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:41:02 PM by Exhale »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
I went to the Arches in October - 9th October 2015 to be precise. There was a queue over half a mile long to enter (I measured it with my GPS - I had NEVER been in a queue that long - I figured that the gate was half a mile from the road to cater for long queues at the entrance). Every trail was littered with people. If you don't call that overcrowded, I don't know what is. I went on to Dead Horse Gully and Canyonlands that day, after deciding that The Arches was really, seriously far too overcrowded for me to enjoy it. This was several days before I decided that the Grand Canyon was even more overcrowded, but it didn't have much of a queue at the entrance.

Last weekend I went to the Mount Samaria Park - roughly 1/4 the size of The Arches - and there was NO-ONE there except me (not even a ranger), in the entire park. The day was beautiful - sunny and not a cloud in the sky. The birds were amazing, the waterfalls were in full flow and I was there ALL BY MYSELF. I even saw one of the rare wallabies. And it is in the most populous state in Australia.

But crowded is relative of course. Having spent time in Acadia, Shenandoah, and Great smokies pretty much any Park West of the Mississippi never feels crowded to me.
I recently went to Uluru (which is known for being crowded, being one of the major Australian draw cards), and it had far fewer people than The Arches, Bryce Canyon, or The Grand Canyon. If there are places that are more crowded, I'm not interested.

If I come to this occasion, I wouldn't be able to bring much. Would I be able to come?

That's why going in autumn (I was just there) and staying in the park itself key. Staying in the park gives us easy access to the less crowded times of day. If we bring headlamps/flashlights we can also spend sunrise/sunset at some awesome locations. Note: the Needles section of Canyonlands is amazing and wasn't at all crowded when I was there last week (people don't take the time to go since it's further away from Moab).
When is a less crowded time of the day? I was there early in the morning. I agree, the Needles wasn't crowded.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
I went to the Arches in October - 9th October 2015 to be precise. There was a queue over half a mile long to enter...
Last week is was a 12-minute wait to get into Arches (at 11:00 a.m.). I found convenient parking everywhere I went to hike.

When is a less crowded time of the day? I was there early in the morning...
Sunrise and sunset during the week are my favorites.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »
Like ARS, this is a bit too far ahead on the calendar for me to commit to yet...but October is usually when I migrate down to Baja. And a quick glance at a map shows that Moab is sort of "on the way". So I'd like to think I could do a "stop over" in Utah. Never been to Utah. :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
I hope you can come in 2018. But even if it doesn't work out for a visit at that time, SW Utah is not to be missed. It has utterly jaw-dropping landscape - think enormous rock formations, miles of slick rock (which I love to hike on), everything all shades of red. Truly, it's deeply grounding, elemental, and provides food for the soul.

magickelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
OMG I'll follow this thread! (But not sure about Moab in SUMMER...)

The Colorado Plateau is my heaven, I visit every year, wander miles into the canyons by myself and ponder existential questions among (what is to me) the most ineffable landscape in the world. "Utterly jaw dropping," as Exhale described, is the closest I can come. One of my FIRE bucket list items is spending 4-6 months in southern Utah and if I like it enough, owning real estate in Moab or up in the Torrey area and generating VRBO or Airbnb cashflow. (Folks who market their properties right seem to have them booked solid 6-7 months out of the year and appear to generate good cashflow.)

I have to say though, Moab is a pretty miserable place to visit from March-October because of the insane crowds in the spring/fall and the 100+ heat in the summer. I always visit in the winter - it's best kept secret. Crystal blue skies, 55-60 degrees in the sun (perfect for hiking) and I have the entire place to myself. I've hiked miles and miles deep into Arches and Canyonlands in December, driven in for free because no rangers are manning the stations, been one of about 8-10 people up contemplating Delicate Arch, sat for 2 hours alone at Mesa Arch and rarely see another soul on the majority of trails. BLM lands are even more sparse!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »
Well I have trouble planning two weeks in advance, let alone two years, but for now, mark me down as interested and tentative :)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »
Sounds good to me!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
Love Moab and will be newly retired that summer as well. I would love to join.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 02:17:26 AM »
There's a possibility I'll be in Canada autumn 2018 so this is really quite close, isn't it?  Relatively speaking?

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »
(following) 
A bit far out for scheduling.  I can only say *perhaps* Mother Fussbudget can make it.  We'll see - sounds fun.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
I am very interested.  In fact, I am also interested in participating in a 2017 edition if people think we could benefit from doing a dry run of the event.  ;-)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
I am very interested.  In fact, I am also interested in participating in a 2017 edition if people think we could benefit from doing a dry run of the event.  ;-)

I like the way you think..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »
2017 is a good possibility for us as well, and much less time to wait. :) Be cool if it was a few weeks after the Ontario event, so one could attend both.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
At Arches, the Canyon Wren group camp site can accommodate 35 people, while the Juniper Basin site can fit 55!

Just FYI - These group site do not allow RV's. People with RV's can book their own sites in the campground which would only be  a short walk from the group sites but just something to keep in mind and coordinate.

In my experience booking State and National Parks during prime time you need to book a LONG way in advance. Like for our beach trip to Assatequae Island in MD if you want to stay June 23, 2017 you need to book it June 24, 2016 as soon as they go online. If you wait until say a week later on June 30, they are all typically booked.

Not all parks are like that but we have had similar experience at Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc.  Of course you can occasionally find cancellations or adjust dates or whatever; but that would be harder coordinating a large group especially with people flying and stuff.

All that is to say to the last 3 posters if October 2017 is in play someone probably needs to start planning -

With that in mind I'll point out that the Campground (Devil's Garden) mentioned by OP with the 2 group sites is closed from March 1 - October 31 2017 for a Major construction project.

Obviously plenty of other camping/lodging options, just not that one for next Oct.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »
There's also BLM land with campgrounds right?
http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds.html
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/where_else_can_i_camp.html

BLM campgrounds have the advantage of being free and first come first serve (maybe the latter makes it hard to plan a group event), appears they also group campsites on the BLM grounds which you can reserve.

Never been to Utah, so I don't know if the BLM lands are nearby at all, but thought I would throw it out there.

I can only imagine how hard it is planning something for a large group. People who do it are heros.

Realized Oct 2017 might not work out with some other life stuff, but still curious if anyone is up there.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:55 AM »
Sounds like a good time! I'd like to consider going to this. My camping experience is minimal and I'd have to purchase a tent, but it sounds fun.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »

I was just in Moab for 1st two weeks in Oct. The town was a gong show and I never made it into Arches due to the massive lineups at the gate. That said if you skipped town there are plenty of free camping options in the local area that would be less busy and equally nice. I was thinking my next trip to Moab would be later in the season. You risk colder weather, but that's worth it to me to have a less hectic experience.

Edit: noticed that this was for 2018 not 2017....wow that's some long range planning! I'd be interested and likely available. I'll be doing a lot of MTBing and then hooking up with peeps for social time in the evenings. If there are any other MTBers coming PM me and we can coord some shredding. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:23:49 AM by Retire-Canada »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
I was just in Moab for 1st two weeks in Oct. The town was a gong show and I never made it into Arches due to the massive lineups at the gate. That said if you skipped town there are plenty of free camping options in the local area that would be less busy and equally nice.

Regarding long lines at the gates. Could people who are staying in town bike there and bypass the lines? A quick mapping says it's only 5 miles from Moab to the park entrance, but I could mapping the wrong locations. A 30 minute bike ride sounds better than waiting hours in line in your car.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
Regarding long lines at the gates. Could people who are staying in town bike there and bypass the lines? A quick mapping says it's only 5 miles from Moab to the park entrance, but I could mapping the wrong locations. A 30 minute bike ride sounds better than waiting hours in line in your car.

You can definitely bike to Moab from Arches and back if you are reasonably fit. I rode to Moab from trails that were much further away at the end of my ride. I don't know whether bikes can jump the line up or not.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 08:09:10 AM »
There's also BLM land with campgrounds right?

Oh yeah, plenty of options. Just pointing out the one OP mentioned looks closed for 2017.

First come first serve BLM seems to be the way a lot of folks on the Mountain biking and off road forums do it. But like you say would be tough to coordinate a big group for something like that.

I can only imagine how hard it is planning something for a large group. People who do it are heros.

Didn't you mention you were looking for a hobby (;

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »
I am definitely interested, posting to follow!  I visited Moab twice while living in Salt Lake City, really only scratched the surface of the trails around there.

Retire-Canada, would love to ride with you if this all works out!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »
For those that want semi-camping or deluxe camping I have stayed at the Canyonlands Campground in Moab. They have Rvs sites, tent sites and small cabins. They have wifi, laundromat, showers, toilets and a heated pool. Located in Moab you can walk to all amenities from there.

Although not the cheapest most basic option it might make for a good base of operations where pretty much everyone could find what they are looking for [hotel across the road]. Also to make organizing simpler everyone could book their own accommodation and all we'd need to do is agree on a set of dates.

My personal preference is for more rustic free/wild camping, but I organize trips for groups all the time and finding a middle ground to keep everyone together can be worth the compromise.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
...Edit: noticed that this was for 2018 not 2017....wow that's some long range planning!...

2018 is when NinetyFour will be FIRE. So this is basically gong to be a big FIRE party to launch NinetyFour into the FIRE years.  :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »

...Edit: noticed that this was for 2018 not 2017....wow that's some long range planning!...

2018 is when NinetyFour will be FIRE. So this is basically gong to be a big FIRE party to launch NinetyFour into the FIRE years.  :-)

The second year could be for that purpose. The first year could be to convince her to not OMY past that. ;)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 07:02:33 AM »

No I understand why it's 2018. It's still a heck of a long way out to try and organize a trip. Not many people make vacation plans 2yrs out.

I'm a planner so it doesn't bother me and my plan is to downshift and be working PT in 2018 so that lines up well with my own situation. ;)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »
I was fooling around on google earth and discovered that Moab is almost equidistant from both Vancouver and my current location on the southern tip of the Baja. I'll take this as some sort of a sign that come October 2018 I should drive from Vancouver down to Baja (I have flown for the past 25 years) and make a rather awesome "detour" to Moab on the way.

Yes...this must happen.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »
I was fooling around on google earth and discovered that Moab is almost equidistant from both Vancouver and my current location on the southern tip of the Baja. I'll take this as some sort of a sign that come October 2018 I should drive from Vancouver down to Baja (I have flown for the past 25 years) and make a rather awesome "detour" to Moab on the way.

Yes...this must happen.

That sounds crazy fun!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »

Yes...this must happen.

I've driven to Baja from Calgary and Vancouver a dozen times or more. It's a pleasant trip once you are past "winter" conditions. I really enjoy the trip down the Baja. So beautiful and the driving is more interesting if slower. :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:11 AM »

Yes...this must happen.

That sounds crazy fun!

Crazy damn long drive too. :) And my 16 year old pickup, as much as I love it, is not exactly the most accomplished highway cruiser, though off-road it is a boss. The seats have to be some of the worst ever designed, so I think I need to switch them out for new ones with more lower back and thigh support. How could Toyota get so many things right with the Tacoma yet strike out so badly with the seat design?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
Here are my pro "Mistakes I have Made" tips for camping Moab: (1) Carry a 5 gallon water jug (or destroy the environment with a case of disposable water bottles, but have lots of water in your car) (2) Fill your car with gas before driving to Needles (3) National Park campgrounds are opened for reservations on a rolling 6 month calendar (register for October in April). (4) Ranger-led Fiery Furnace walk at Arches is AWESOME and doable by anyone that can crawl on knees and climb a ladder - reservations for limited availability also on a 6 month rolling calendar. (5) Camping in Arches in the winter is awesome - first come first serve, but no one was there when I went in February.

I am always up for a trip to Moab.  I bring my photo gear and practice my landscapes (sunrise/sunsets) and astrophotography skills. I always run into other photographers, including the anti-mustachian folks that spend $1000s to be on a guided expedition and stand next to each other to shoot the same shots. Don't get me wrong - I get the same shots, just not at the cost of $1000's to be there.

Looking forward to seeing others in Moab sometime. -ap.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I am always up for a trip to Moab.  I bring my photo gear and practice my landscapes (sunrise/sunsets) and astrophotography skills. I always run into other photographers, including the anti-mustachian folks that spend $1000s to be on a guided expedition and stand next to each other to shoot the same shots. Don't get me wrong - I get the same shots, just not at the cost of $1000's to be there.

Looking forward to seeing others in Moab sometime. -ap.
You should go to Mutawintji or Lake Mungo (or anywhere in Western NSW) or even Arkaroola.