Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022  (Read 40188 times)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
either coming or going on your trip.  Must love dogs as I have 2 little Maltese.

awwww.  Now I want to go to Moab via Reno.  From Phoenix.  hmmmmm.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »
I love this community!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2022, 12:35:32 AM »
Looking to caravan with anyone who might be driving to Moab on Thur/Fri Oct 6-7 and returning home Mon/Tue Oct 10-11.

Last year I left the SF Bay Area after work on Thursday and headed towards Reno, stopping overnight in Nevada, then continued to Moab via US-50. The way home was the southern route, through Las Vegas via I-15. This time I stopped just inside the Nevada border overnight.

Would likely do similar this year; open to taking the northern route through SLC via I-80 and/or doing the whole thing in one shot (out on Oct 7 and back on Oct 10 - or possibly Oct 11 if @deborah has room in her cabin for me for an extra night).

Any takers, either for the way out, way back, or both, would be most welcome. It's a slog for a solo driver. Yet I don't have room in my car (Honda Fit) for a second passenger and their luggage, since my bike will be in the back *unless* I can source a bike rack before then.  In which case there is plenty of room for one additional person and gear.

Onesday, I live in Reno and have a guest bedroom so you can stay with me one night either coming or going on your trip.  Must love dogs as I have 2 little Maltese.

@Cassie you and your Malteses are amazing people! I would love to take you up on your offer to house me overnight on the "way out" option (Thur, Oct 6). Would be a late arrival (9pm?), since I'm leaving after work and get out of town traffic can be ugly/unpredictable. And I do love dogs! If it still sounds workable for you, we can PM to hammer out the details. BTW, do you like chocolate? :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2022, 11:13:57 PM »
Onesday, it absolutely does work for me and I will put it on the calendar. I love chocolate!!   Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.  A late arrival is fine as I am retired and don’t go to bed early.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2022, 01:58:07 AM »
Onesday, it absolutely does work for me and I will put it on the calendar. I love chocolate!!   Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.  A late arrival is fine as I am retired and don’t go to bed early.
Squeee!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2022, 10:55:03 PM »
Squeee!

I know, right? :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2022, 12:32:12 AM »
Squeee!

I know, right? :D
It's such a tough drive. This will give you something fun along the way!

We are going to leave the Bay Area on Saturday afternoon as soon as our event wraps up. I think we'll push for the RV park that's right on the eastern Nevada border so we can make it to Moab by Sunday evening.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2022, 09:59:09 AM »
Seems like every time I tell someone about my upcoming trip to Moab they ask how many people will be there. I tell them I guess probably somewhere between 50 and 100.

Am I anywhere near right?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2022, 01:19:32 PM »
Oh dear Lord.  The 2 I have been to were more like 10 or so.  Sounds like it will be more people this year, but I'm thinking closer to 20-25 rather than 50?  I have not kept count, though.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »
Seems like every time I tell someone about my upcoming trip to Moab they ask how many people will be there. I tell them I guess probably somewhere between 50 and 100.

Good question!  I will attempt a sort of roll call to see if we can get a handle on the size of this esteemed group...  (Apologies (Canadian style) if I forget anyone or make other errors.)

@meadow lark (2?)
@Adventine
@MustachioedPistachio
@happy
@deborah
@ToTheMoon (2)
@Embok (2)
@Dicey (2)
@oneday
@shadowmoss
@Le Poisson (2)
@LifeHappens (2)
@Chaplin
@the_fixer (2?)
@oldladystache
@MoseyingAlong
@NinetyFour

That ^^ is 24 awesome peeps.

Here are some maybes:

@boarder42
@Ladychips
@innkeeper77
@maizefolk
@DaMa
@monarda
@SmartyCat
@Chippewa
@goat_music_generator
@Holocene
@BikeFanatic
@spartana

Did I miss anyone?

If you are still on the fence and have any questions, the Moab Meetup Mavens will, I'm sure, be glad to chime in with lots of info, reflections, and fond memories!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:10:49 AM by NinetyFour »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2022, 11:08:16 AM »
Can May we be called the Moab Meetup Mavens, pretty please?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:20:30 AM by Dicey »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2022, 11:11:16 AM »
Can we be called the Moab Meetup Mavens, pretty please?

Your wish is my command!  :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »
Can May we be called the Moab Meetup Mavens, pretty please?

Your wish is my command!  :)
Fixed that for me. Thank you!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »
And, in case anyone has some interest in going to the Needles district of Canyonlands (about a 2 hour drive from the Moab Meetup location), here are some pics from last weekend:

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
Thanks for the reminder @NinetyFour .I do have it on my calender so will see where I am once it gets closer. Leaving my hovel in Calif in the next week or 2 for a long road trip (part by bike -squeeee) with not real plans or time limits and will show up last minute (my normal M.O.) if I can.

Sounds great!  We would love to have you join the fun!!!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2022, 11:38:31 AM »
Still a maybe. We will be on a road trip to CO in September, still don't know when exactly.
That'll be front range visits and also some hikes up higher peaks, but part of the trip we'll head further west- depends on if my friends are at their place.

How close are you to Paonia? (I think that's the town where my friends are.) If our trip doesn't take us as far west as Moab, or as late as October, maybe we can swing through your neighborhood for a day or two?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
My biggest goal for the camping portion of this trip is to go hiking wherever Snoopy takes the little Woodstock campers. If I meet Spike I may come undone.

I believe Spike lives in Needles. Must confirm.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »
My biggest goal for the camping portion of this trip is to go hiking wherever Snoopy takes the little Woodstock campers. If I meet Spike I may come undone.

I believe Spike lives in Needles, CA. It confused the hell out of me the first time I went to Moab. I think the "The" is important. Having been to both now, there is definitely a big difference.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »
All booked, including flights.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »

I believe Spike lives in Needles, CA. It confused the hell out of me the first time I went to Moab. I think the "The" is important. Having been to both now, there is definitely a big difference.

Damn. Well, I guess I can cancel our flight then.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2022, 08:51:59 PM »
Think we're a no this time-- too much other travel with a small baby queued up in this time period (CMTO two weeks before, family wedding two weeks after). Hopefully some future year!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2022, 08:53:08 PM »
Stingray and I will be there from 7th-11th.  Still need to arrange the flights and car.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2022, 11:20:31 PM »

Maybe we can get them to come up to the "real" Needles.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2022, 01:40:03 AM »
Present, Miss.
Our extraordinarily slow  passport office sent me an email saying my renewal was complete and to expect it in the next week or so. Its coming together nicely.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2022, 01:53:23 AM »
Any runners planning on making the trip? I found this on the library's website:

https://www.madmooseevents.com/archeshalfmarathon

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2022, 06:56:24 AM »

Maybe we can get them to come up to the "real" Needles.

I'll start a letter-writing campaign. I mean we still need to pick up a T-shirt so I guess all is not lost.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2022, 08:07:58 AM »

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »

Good question!  I will attempt a sort of roll call to see if we can get a handle on the size of this esteemed group...  (Apologies (Canadian style) if I forget anyone or make other errors.)

If you are still on the fence and have any questions, the Moab Meetup Mavens will, I'm sure, be glad to chime in with lots of info, reflections, and fond memories!

Thanks for the call out! Since we posted last we decided to spend a ton of time and money so these plans were ignored a bit.. but now we have a new house and someone is renting our old one so we hope it was a good idea long term. We will have to stay as a "maybe" a little while longer, and it still depends on work schedules. Looks like there is still availability for the basic sites we would be wanting, so I'll talk to DW again tonight about it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:52:13 AM by innkeeper77 »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2022, 08:38:05 PM »
I am definitely a no this year.  Looking forward to reading about all the fun y'all have!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: August 19, 2022, 01:46:30 PM »
Plans have changed and it's now more convenient for us to fly Memphis to SLC or to CNY (closest airport to Moab) and rent a car from there. Any recommendations for car rentals? Otherwise we'll just go with the Expedia recommendations.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »
Plans have changed and it's now more convenient for us to fly Memphis to SLC or to CNY (closest airport to Moab) and rent a car from there. Any recommendations for car rentals? Otherwise we'll just go with the Expedia recommendations.
Whew! Scared me for a moment. Check out flights from Grand Junction, too. I've gotten good deals on cars via Costco and even better ones using AutoSlash.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »
Whew! Scared me for a moment. Check out flights from Grand Junction, too. I've gotten good deals on cars via Costco and even better ones using AutoSlash.

When do you arrive/depart? We are flying YTO to SLC and have a rental booked. There may be a chance to carpool.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2022, 07:03:22 PM »

When do you arrive/depart? We are flying YTO to SLC and have a rental booked. There may be a chance to carpool.

We haven't booked anything yet because we're waiting for @MustachioedPistachio 's exact exam schedule (should be within the next week or so). Thank you for the offer, though! I'll message when plans are clearer.

@Dicey I am not missing this chance to meet you! :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
All booked, including flights.

Great!!!

Still a maybe. We will be on a road trip to CO in September, still don't know when exactly.
That'll be front range visits and also some hikes up higher peaks, but part of the trip we'll head further west- depends on if my friends are at their place.

How close are you to Paonia? (I think that's the town where my friends are.) If our trip doesn't take us as far west as Moab, or as late as October, maybe we can swing through your neighborhood for a day or two?

OK--no problem.  Thanks for your update.

I am about 4 hours from Paonia.  Three mountain passed between here and there.  :)  It would be great to meet up with you somewhere!

Think we're a no this time-- too much other travel with a small baby queued up in this time period (CMTO two weeks before, family wedding two weeks after). Hopefully some future year!

Aww, too bad.  But I'll see you at CMTO!

Stingray and I will be there from 7th-11th.  Still need to arrange the flights and car.

Awesome!!!  :-)

Present, Miss.
Our extraordinarily slow  passport office sent me an email saying my renewal was complete and to expect it in the next week or so. Its coming together nicely.

Yay!!!  Glad things are coming together as planned!  Looking forward to seeing you!

Thanks for the call out! Since we posted last we decided to spend a ton of time and money so these plans were ignored a bit.. but now we have a new house and someone is renting our old one so we hope it was a good idea long term. We will have to stay as a "maybe" a little while longer, and it still depends on work schedules. Looks like there is still availability for the basic sites we would be wanting, so I'll talk to DW again tonight about it.

No worries.  Hope you decide to join us!!

I am definitely a no this year.  Looking forward to reading about all the fun y'all have!

:(  Maybe next year you can join us!

Glad you are still going to make the trip!!  And @Dicey isn't the only one who is excited about meeting you!!  :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2022, 12:00:06 PM »
@NinetyFour I didn't mean to be non-inclusive! See you all in October :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2022, 12:27:24 PM »
Haha, I didn't think you were. We're all excited to meet you and Mr. MP. Truth be told, I'm excited to meet everybody and to see the people I've met IRL again. Seriously excited...as in can't hardly stand the wait!

Other musings: being sick has put a serious monkey wrench in our training schedule. Mr. D is still unable to get anything but flip-flops on his poor feet. Therefore, I am assigning myself to come up with a few less strenuous activities. Dear (incredibly fit and acclimated) @NinetyFour will be leading the most adventurous activities fearlessly and incredibly competently. I'll make sure there's some easier stuff available. It helps that I already know the way to the library and the location of every thrift store in town. Alas, we won't be arriving until Sunday afternoon, but for those of you staying longer, there will be alternative things to do if you're exhausted from all that glorious hiking.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »

No no, I didn’t take it that way!  :)  Just wanted you to know that I, and probably any others who have read your journal, am really glad you are going to join us!

One thing I really enjoy about the Moab meetup is being able to sort of stand back and see cool connections being made among very cool people!    (I enjoy making connections with people, too, but possibly at a slower rate, as I am a bit shy and introverted.)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »
Did I read Thrift Store???  Must pull out the hiking boots to get into shape...

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2022, 04:54:13 PM »
You can put us down for 2 people.

Warning in advance I am pretty quiet / reserved but my SO makes up for it multiple times over.

You cannot imagine the internal struggle going on in my head trying to decide to go it was an epic battle! In the end getting to meet and socialize with this small slice of society that embraces this odd idea of FIRE was enough to bring me out of my shell.

So if you see me sitting there quite not saying much just know there is a giddy little kid inside jumping for joy despite the outward appearance.

Signed socially awkward :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2022, 08:57:05 PM »
Apparently there's been a lot happening in Moab this week:

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/the-day-after-photo-gallery/

This is not meant to discourage anyone, it's just a heads up, since @NinetyFour is off vanquishing peaks this week. Once things clam down, I'll call around and see what else I can find out.

FWIW, a friend was there on a whitewater rafting trip. Her tent and sleeping bag were swept away (she was in neither and is fine) ... and then recovered. Now to figure out how to remove the red mud.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2022, 11:06:28 PM »
It was all over the nightly news and really a mess. Sadly a hiker is missing. Good thing it’s a month before you go.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
Note to self:  pack water wings.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2022, 12:33:33 PM »
It was all over the nightly news and really a mess. Sadly a hiker is missing. Good thing it’s a month before you go.
Um, do you mean the person in Zion? She's no longer missing, alas. If the reports are true, she exibited spectacularly poor judgement which makes it sadder still, but preventable.

I'm working on an update.  Will post more soon.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2022, 01:38:52 PM »
1. Was Wasatch Brewery in SLC affected?
2. Did Spike wash up in some gulch?
3. There is no 3.
4. Is our campground still there?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2022, 03:44:48 PM »
1. Was Wasatch Brewery in SLC affected? SLC is a long way from Moab.
2. Did Spike wash up in some gulch? Spike & Co. are still at home in Needles. The other Needles.
3. There is no 3. Whew!
4. Is our campground still there? IDK. No one's picking up the phone or returning calls yet. Water does flow through the lower part of the campground, so I'm a bit worried. Nothing on the website.
I saw a quote somewhere that the worst thing you can for Moab is cancel your trip. They really rely on the visitor seasons to sustain their economy, so they're working like mad to get things put to rights asap.

If any of you Facebook whizzes can take a peek there, I'd appreciate any info you can dig up.

An amazing thing about desert climates is the extreme contrasts. No water any where, then water, water, everywhere, then no water anywhere. These magnificent vistas and canyons were in large measure created by massive water flows, so I'm thinking it's all going to work out in the end. It's just business as usual as far as Mother Nature is concerned.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2022, 04:51:33 PM »
So it's Mill Creek and Pack Creek that were flooded. Our campground is on Pack Creek. This other one, just a little ways away, but on Mill Creek has a pretty bad prognosis.

I threw up a few balloons in the Moab Reddits. We'll see if any of them float.

Edit to add: If you are going to Needles, this is the current state of the highway: https://www.reddit.com/r/moab/comments/wtlg6h/hwy_211_is_indeed_very_damaged/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 05:01:31 PM by Le Poisson »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2022, 06:12:47 PM »
Thanks for keeping a finger on the pulse @Le Poisson...

Regarding the "Up the Creek" campground: That's where my friend's friend was staying. She said they had three minutes' warning. FoF is a military veteran and her training came in handy. She was in her bag, inside her tent, but everything else she had was in her Bug Out Bag at the front of the tent. She grabbed that bag and escaped to safety. Her tent and sleeping bag were later recovered and have been returned to her.

She was part of a tour group, so all their gear was clearly marked, which is how they got it back so quickly. Apparently the Sheriff's station is the repository for everything else that's recovered.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2022, 06:18:12 PM »
I wanted to make this a separate post. The campground name has changed and it's confusing, IMO.

The official name is:

Sun Outdoors Moab Downtown
555 South Main St
Moab, Utah, 84532

Corp. Reservations 888.886.2477
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:19:46 PM by Dicey »