Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022  (Read 40130 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: MOAB Meetup October 2022
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2022, 07:32:26 AM »
@Dicey maybe you are an ambivert.

+1 on the magical experience.

I’m so glad you will be there again to help create more magic!

(Hmm…wondering if I should add the word “magic” to this thread title…)

I'm sure I don't need to point out the awesome alliteration that "Magical MOAB Meetup" has...
M'm m'm good!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: MOAB Meetup October 2022
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2022, 08:02:42 AM »
@Dicey maybe you are an ambivert.

+1 on the magical experience.

I’m so glad you will be there again to help create more magic!

(Hmm…wondering if I should add the word “magic” to this thread title…)

I'm sure I don't need to point out the awesome alliteration that "Magical MOAB Meetup" has...

And it sounds so much better than "Magnificent Mammals Meeting in Moab" Good thing I'm not in charge!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »
Stingray and I are looking for a place to stay.  I like a real bed 🙂

I’m considering Big Horn Lodge.  2 queens is $164/night, in case anyone is interested in sharing a room.  Otoh - if anyone else knows a better deal please let me know!  (I don’t own a tent, etc and I don’t really enjoy that anyway).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2022, 02:14:41 PM »
Delta heard y'all talking and did us a favour - our flight home from SLC was re-routed. They sent us the following itinerary:

Depart at 11:00 AM
Salt Lake to Atlanta
Atlanta to Detroit
Detroit to Toronto
Arrive at 10:30 AM the next day

Which seems like a lot of flights to connect SLC to YYZ

I called and a very friendly agent reassigned us to a direct flight between SLC and YYZ, but we came close to 24 hours of travel there...

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2022, 04:02:52 PM »
Check the Lazy Lizard hostel in Moab.  I stayed there the first year.  The only difference is shared bathrooms.  Looks like $41/night for 2.people.

Edited to add:. You could call and find out a.plan to share a few of you in a dorm room.  I stayed in a 4 person dorm room with bunk beds for $16.??/night.

And again:. A cabin for 2 is $47/night.  Group cabins are $170-$210/night.

Ok, I'm done.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:18:40 PM by shadowmoss »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »
Yay!  That is a great option!  Okay, I emailed them to see if I can get a reservation.  If other people want to look into getting a house or bigger cabin let me know!
Thanks Shadowmoss!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:52:04 PM by meadow lark »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2022, 02:28:06 PM »
Reservation made for Oct 7-13 at the hostel!  Can’t wait!  Will worry about plane tickets another day.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:34:10 PM by meadow lark »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2022, 03:26:05 PM »
Reservation made for Oct 7-13 at the hostel!  Can’t wait!  Will worry about plane tickets another day.

AWESOME!!!!  😁

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
We stayed at this place the first time we went to Moab. It was fine and they also have cabins that are a little less rustic. It's on the other side of the highway, but not too far away.

https://www.moabrimcampark.com/

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »
It's official! The meetup is in our trip plan. @NinetyFour Is the Needles after-party happening and is there a limit to the number of attendees? Trying to get a better handle on dates.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2022, 07:08:10 PM »

Woo hoo!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2022, 09:03:47 AM »
It's official! The meetup is in our trip plan. @NinetyFour Is the Needles after-party happening and is there a limit to the number of attendees? Trying to get a better handle on dates.

Good question!

I think that since travel plans could change at a moment’s notice because of work, family stuff, border issues, or Covid nastiness, planning an after party (and putting up 💰 to reserve a group site) would be risky. 

Conversely, mid-October is going to be a really busy time in Moab, so the chances of finding convenient campsites, without reservations ahead of time, for MMMers hoping to do some after partying would be slim.  So…….

I just looked at the Dead Horse Point State Park website and reservation system.  I have never camped there but have heard good things about it.  Note that they have some yurts!!!  And mountain bike rentals!!!  And it’s not far from downtown Moab and also not far from Canyonlands (the Island in the Sky district).

It looks like the campsites that can be reserved open up 4 months ahead of time.  So if you wanted to camp up there on October 14, you should be at your computer ready to grab a campsite on June 14.

My suggestion, therefore, would be for us to think about after partying at Dead Horse.  I will leave it to anyone who has some interest in this to make their own reservations.  We can use this thread to post about our plans, in case we want to camp near one another at Dead Horse.

I am certainly open to other ideas, though!

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

https://utahstateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/dead-horse-point-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=UT&parkId=344161

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2022, 07:11:30 AM »
Looks like I might have snagged a bed at CMTO...so I will be coming to MOAB! Deborah kindly said I could share her cabin. Just have to find my passport.....

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2022, 07:15:11 AM »
Looks like I might have snagged a bed at CMTO...so I will be coming to MOAB! Deborah kindly said I could share her cabin. Just have to find my passport.....

Woo hoo!!!!!!!  This is most excellent news!  Hope your passport is right where you last put it.  ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2022, 07:20:19 AM »

Woo hoo!!!!!!!  This is most excellent news!  Hope your passport is right where you last put it.  ;-)
And not expired or within a year of being so. Yippee! That is happy news indeed!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2022, 07:32:54 AM »
Have to say, I'm pretty excited at the prospect of meeting the legendary duo of happy and deborah. This is going to be one epic meetup.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2022, 07:41:54 AM »
Have to say, I'm pretty excited at the prospect of meeting the legendary duo of happy and deborah. This is going to be one epic meetup.

I guarantee that you will be entranced by their many tales of travels!!

I agree that this is going to be epic!!  We have many legends planning to attend—The Prospectors from Ontario, the fun LH duo from The Sunshine State, the Dicey-Embok-Oneday trifecta from CA, the MoonChild from the far north, The Singing Bird from The Bayou, the Green Man from the Carolinas, The Badass Aussie Travel Duo, and many others I can’t wait to meet!!!  (And I’m really hoping that another Tall Canadian might be persuaded to join us…)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2022, 12:10:34 PM »

I guarantee that you will be entranced by their many tales of travels!!

I agree that this is going to be epic!!  We have many legends planning to attend—The Prospectors from Ontario, the fun LH duo from The Sunshine State, the Dicey-Embok-Oneday trifecta from CA, the MoonChild from the far north, The Singing Bird from The Bayou, the Green Man from the Carolinas, The Badass Aussie Travel Duo, and many others I can’t wait to meet!!!  (And I’m really hoping that another Tall Canadian might be persuaded to join us…)

I am tempted to join in just so that I can hear Ninety Four's nickname for me. ;-)

Unfortunately I already have alternate plans in September and October.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Well that's the first time I've been called badass: I'm honoured. Passport is expired, but it can be revived. It would be awesome if a Tall Canadian would come, especially as they have gone cold on their plans to visit down under in the short-term.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2022, 04:48:45 PM »
I sure hope people have nametags or something. I get confused easily.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »

Yay!!!!!

I'm excited to see them again, and also meet you and Moonpie!

I am tempted to join in just so that I can hear Ninety Four's nickname for me. ;-)

Unfortunately I already have alternate plans in September and October.

Don't you know your primary responsibility is to your forum friends? lol

Will miss you.

I sure hope people have nametags or something. I get confused easily.

Camp craft project, anyone? :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2022, 02:10:09 PM »
As we intend to fly into Moab, do we need to hire a car, or will there be enough people around to do without one?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2022, 08:24:19 PM »
Is there some kind of regional airport in Moab?  Most folks fly into Salt Lake City, or Las Vegas, or somewhere with a big airport.  I'll be there with my car, but I'll probably only have room for 1 other as I'll have the mattress in the back.  I'm happy to help as I can.

ETA:  Hmm, seems there is one between Moab and Interstate 70 on 191.  I'll defer to others about reliability to regional airports now.  Looks like it is about 20 min away.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 08:32:05 PM by shadowmoss »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2022, 03:32:52 AM »
Is there some kind of regional airport in Moab?  Most folks fly into Salt Lake City, or Las Vegas, or somewhere with a big airport.  I'll be there with my car, but I'll probably only have room for 1 other as I'll have the mattress in the back.  I'm happy to help as I can.

ETA:  Hmm, seems there is one between Moab and Interstate 70 on 191.  I'll defer to others about reliability to regional airports now.  Looks like it is about 20 min away.

According to our travel agent we fly: Toronto to Chicago, Chicago to Denver, Denver to Moab.

Any local information about reliability would be appreciated...I kind of assumed if there was a ticketed flight then it would fly (albeit with all the usual caveats about weather, mechanical issues etc.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2022, 08:02:52 AM »
We got a direct flight - Toronto to SLC.

I figure the time we save on transfers is a fair trade for the drive down to camp.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
We got a direct flight - Toronto to SLC.

I figure the time we save on transfers is a fair trade for the drive down to camp.
It's a pretty easy drive once you're away from SLC and Provo. Pretty flat and wide open.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
Deborah and happy, I am afraid I know nothing about the little airport just outside Moab.  Well, I know where it is, but that’s about it.  If you really will be flying into that airport, I will be glad (heck, I’ll be honoUred!!) to pick you up and bring you to the campground.  Also, I have room in my truck for 3 passengers comfortably, or 4 passengers slightly uncomfortably, so I would guess that you don’t need a rental car during your time in Moab.  I imagine that several other folks will be renting cars (as they will be flying into airports several hours away), and will be able to give rides to others, too.  One year, we needed to squeeze one more passenger into my truck, so I rode my bike to the trailhead and let someone else drive my truck!  So, with a little creativity, we’ll make it all work!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
Deborah and happy, I am afraid I know nothing about the little airport just outside Moab.  Well, I know where it is, but that’s about it.  If you really will be flying into that airport, I will be glad (heck, I’ll be honoUred!!) to pick you up and bring you to the campground.  Also, I have room in my truck for 3 passengers comfortably, or 4 passengers slightly uncomfortably, so I would guess that you don’t need a rental car during your time in Moab.  I imagine that several other folks will be renting cars (as they will be flying into airports several hours away), and will be able to give rides to others, too.  One year, we needed to squeeze one more passenger into my truck, so I rode my bike to the trailhead and let someone else drive my truck!  So, with a little creativity, we’ll make it all work!
That would be wonderful. We would be very honoured to travel with you!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2022, 03:32:54 PM »
I can also help out with anyone flying in and out of Moab's airport.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2022, 04:27:38 PM »

Thank you @NinetyFour and @Chaplin! We dallied briefly with Le Fish's plan of going to SLC and driving, but have discarded that idea. Thanks once again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »

Thank you @NinetyFour and @Chaplin! We dallied briefly with Le Fish's plan of going to SLC and driving, but have discarded that idea. Thanks once again.
Sorry, no time to look it up right now, but isn't the airport in Grand Junction closer than SLC?

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »
Campsite reserved!

Hope to actually make it this year.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »

Sorry, no time to look it up right now, but isn't the airport in Grand Junction closer than SLC?

It's a lot closer. Like hours of less driving.

Le Fish thinking goes like this (based on our travel day):

Flight from YTO to SLC = $495, 4h20min, 0 transfers
Rental car from SLC to Moab = $0 (Points), 3h45min
Total: $495, 8h05min

Flight from YTO to GJT = $656, 7h49m, 2 transfers
Rental Car from GJT to Moab = $0 (Points), 1h45min
Total: $656, 9h34min

So although GJT is a shorter drive, it's a longer travel day, and comes with the risk of 2 transfers at a time when a lot of flights are being cancelled or rescheduled. All of this pales in the face of the real deciding factor through, which is a chance to visit Wasatch Brewery to pick up a Polygamy Porter and hopefully, a matching T-shirt.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »

It's a lot closer. Like hours of less driving.

Le Fish thinking goes like this (based on our travel day):

Flight from YTO to SLC = $495, 4h20min, 0 transfers
Rental car from SLC to Moab = $0 (Points), 3h45min
Total: $495, 8h05min

Flight from YTO to GJT = $656, 7h49m, 2 transfers
Rental Car from GJT to Moab = $0 (Points), 1h45min
Total: $656, 9h34min

So although GJT is a shorter drive, it's a longer travel day, and comes with the risk of 2 transfers at a time when a lot of flights are being cancelled or rescheduled. All of this pales in the face of the real deciding factor through, which is a chance to visit Wasatch Brewery to pick up a Polygamy Porter and hopefully, a matching T-shirt.
I like the way you think; @Embok may be able to add a bit more shading to the decision.

Oh, wait! It involves driving to SLC in crappy weather conditions. You're from the Great Frozen North. Nevermind. I doubt anything Utah serves up in mid-October compares to what you're used to.

I hate transfers. Beer over transfers absolutely wins the day. As for the t-shirt, try this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304285090757. Unless they're free with purchase of sufficient number of beers on site. You will have lots of friends there who will be happy to help you hit the magic number if eBay disappoints you, lol.

ETA: Well it's clear that I'm not a beer drinker, nor am I hip enough to know where the hell Wasatch Brewery is. While I'm back clarifying that, let me just add that we recently watched "Be Sweet: Pray and Obey" on Netflix. Polygamy will never look the same.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:19:04 PM by Dicey »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2022, 06:44:50 PM »
My recent research on Polygamy porter suggests that Wasatch Brewery has been amalgamated or something. They now show their home base in SLC, whereas a year ago they were in Park City. Also teh artwork on their cans is less fun, and I am not sure whether the classic Tees have been available for a few years. I may end up on Ebay hunting for one.

As for driving through the mountains in October - sounds fun! I mean it's not like there's any history of folks breaking down and eating their friends to survive or anything like that out there, is there? Anyone wanna carpool? We could have a party. A Donner party, if you will.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2022, 08:14:21 PM »
..... which is a chance to visit Wasatch Brewery to pick up a Polygamy Porter and hopefully, a matching T-shirt.

The point of Polygamy Porter is that you shouldn't have just one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:30:26 AM by Chaplin »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »
..... which is a chance to visit Wasatch Brewery to pick up a Polygamy Porter and hopefully, a matching T-shirt.

The point of Polygamy Porter is that you shouldn't have just one.
It's true. Also, draught beer in Utah is limited to 4% alcohol, so you can drink many. Much more fun than a Donner party.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2022, 05:28:53 AM »
Campsite reserved!

Hope to actually make it this year.

Awesome!!  I hope you'll be able to join us!!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2022, 09:51:08 PM »
Hey gang,

At the moment we are flying into GJT on the morning of Oct 9th and departing on the afternoon of Oct 14th. We have a car rented and would likely have room for a straggler or two - however - at this point, I do not want anyone to depend on us as lots could change, but I am feeling guilty that I haven't spoken up!

My parents are supposed to be watching our kids, but my Dad has since been diagnosed with cancer and commences treatment next week. Not sure what kind of shape he will be in by October. Then, if we change gear and need to bring the kids, we either won't have space or will be driving down (and won't have space.) This is further compounded by the kids' passports being expired, and getting them renewed in Canada now has months-long wait lists. (Can anyone hear the panic in my writing! Lol) Argh...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2022, 11:44:15 AM »
We're confirmed for Moab 2022!!!

Just made a deposit for the Lazy Lizard hostel. We'll be there from Oct. 6 to 15.

@MustachioedPistachio and I are making it a real road trip and driving over several days from Memphis - Moab and back to Memphis!

See you guys there!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2022, 07:08:37 PM »
We're confirmed for Moab 2022!!!

Just made a deposit for the Lazy Lizard hostel. We'll be there from Oct. 6 to 15.

@MustachioedPistachio and I are making it a real road trip and driving over several days from Memphis - Moab and back to Memphis!

See you guys there!
OMG, OMG, OMG! So exciting!!

Thank you again, dear @NinetyFour, for creating this magical event!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2022, 09:21:21 PM »
Looking to caravan with anyone who might be driving to Moab on Thur/Fri Oct 6-7 and returning home Mon/Tue Oct 10-11.

Last year I left the SF Bay Area after work on Thursday and headed towards Reno, stopping overnight in Nevada, then continued to Moab via US-50. The way home was the southern route, through Las Vegas via I-15. This time I stopped just inside the Nevada border overnight.

Would likely do similar this year; open to taking the northern route through SLC via I-80 and/or doing the whole thing in one shot (out on Oct 7 and back on Oct 10 - or possibly Oct 11 if @deborah has room in her cabin for me for an extra night).

Any takers, either for the way out, way back, or both, would be most welcome. It's a slog for a solo driver. Yet I don't have room in my car (Honda Fit) for a second passenger and their luggage, since my bike will be in the back *unless* I can source a bike rack before then.  In which case there is plenty of room for one additional person and gear.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2022, 10:37:33 PM »
You can stay for longer.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2022, 11:19:50 AM »
Thank you! I only would do that if I have a driving companion on the way home.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2022, 08:35:47 AM »
Is anyone up for a shopping spree?

As in, would you be willing to deliver a tent to MOAB for us? we are flying in, and while we have much gear, a big-ass week-long, car camping tent doesn't go well as carry-on for a plane. I could pack one of our tiny little backpacking tents, but I am not. This is mostly motivated by my desire to stand up while putting on underwear (for a week).

I feel justified in the wastefulness of a massive garbage tent, because it is a cheap alternative to actual indoor space. For instance, I could order this behemoth for less than a one night stay in a Moab hotel. Also I want the luxury of standing while getting dressed.

So if anyone has trunk space for a huge-ass, wasteful, garbage tent, I'll order a cheapy for delivery to your house and hope to see it sitting on our picnic table when we arrive.

If no one is willing to take delivery, I'll have to get dressed outside. I'll post times so you know to either come by and admire, or look away.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:38:27 AM by Le Poisson »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »
Sure, I'll pm you my address.  I drive a Mazda 3 that will have my own stuff, so no mega mansions, but a stand up tent should be no problem.  In fact, wait a bit and let me go through my camping stuff in the storage unit.  I think I have one in there that you can use.  Let me look.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2022, 10:19:40 AM »
Tent found.  I'll put it up and make sure it is still functional and weather tight.  It is 9'x9' and, I think 7' tall in the middle.  This gives me the excuse to see if I want to keep it or pass it on.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »
Tent found.  I'll put it up and make sure it is still functional and weather tight.  It is 9'x9' and, I think 7' tall in the middle.  This gives me the excuse to see if I want to keep it or pass it on.

Awesome! That's like the Taj-Mah-Tent to us. Thanks. What dates are you arriving/leaving? I don't want to end up homeless for the last few days.

We arrive SLC on Oct 7 (may opt for one night in town before driving to Moab)
We depart SLC on Oct 15 (may opt to travel to SLC early to see sights etc, not sure when we'll ditch Moab.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 10:33:13 AM by Le Poisson »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »
I have camping reservations for the entire time, and plan to arrive Oct 7.  I'm staying already for another friend get together a couple of weeks before, so you won't be homeless. 

ETA:  I live a bit north of Phoenix, AZ, so kinda in the area and driving up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 11:10:30 AM by shadowmoss »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Looking to caravan with anyone who might be driving to Moab on Thur/Fri Oct 6-7 and returning home Mon/Tue Oct 10-11.

Last year I left the SF Bay Area after work on Thursday and headed towards Reno, stopping overnight in Nevada, then continued to Moab via US-50. The way home was the southern route, through Las Vegas via I-15. This time I stopped just inside the Nevada border overnight.

Would likely do similar this year; open to taking the northern route through SLC via I-80 and/or doing the whole thing in one shot (out on Oct 7 and back on Oct 10 - or possibly Oct 11 if @deborah has room in her cabin for me for an extra night).

Any takers, either for the way out, way back, or both, would be most welcome. It's a slog for a solo driver. Yet I don't have room in my car (Honda Fit) for a second passenger and their luggage, since my bike will be in the back *unless* I can source a bike rack before then.  In which case there is plenty of room for one additional person and gear.
[/quot

Onesday, I live in Reno and have a guest bedroom so you can stay with me one night either coming or going on your trip.  Must love dogs as I have 2 little Maltese.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!