Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup October 7 - 14, 2022  (Read 39338 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: MOAB Meetup October 2022
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2022, 04:08:46 PM »
Anyone up for a zoom chat? I've tentatively set up a 45 minute on zoom for Tomorrow (March 27th) at 9:00 PM Eastern time. Could be fun to do a few of these as meet-n-greets ahead of the event.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/73258564691?pwd=E-ubT5ymAlUQYueASh3pTf8Q3sHjZ-.1 
Meeting ID: 732 5856 4691
Passcode: i11nbY
Is it still tentative or are we a "go"?

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2022, 06:53:46 PM »
I'll be on the Zoom at 9 pm Eastern, 6 pm Pacific!  Thanks for the heads up @Dicey

Embok
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 06:59:03 PM by Embok »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »
Zoom is zooming!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2022, 07:42:41 PM »
Thanks, that was fun, @Le Poisson!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2022, 07:43:03 PM »
@Le Poisson, @oneday and @Dicey:  Nice chatting with you all.  I can set up another zoom in a month to 6 weeks if you want (not subject to the 45 min limitation.  Let me know. 

Mr. Embok has dinner reservations, so we'll sign off for now. Have a great week.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2022, 07:45:22 PM »
Great seeing all of you too! We should do that again!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2022, 07:57:54 PM »
Yes, that was nice! @Le Poisson thanks for organizing. @Dicey @Embok (and everyone else going to Moab) hope to see you on the next one!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »
It would be wonderful to participate. Had something on today and next monday, but I currently don't have anything on midday monday (my time) for the foreseeable.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »
Darn. Totally forgot about it. (was watching Bridgerton!)
See you next time, I hope.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »
Sorry I missed the Zoom. If you do one again I'll try to "attend."

I have a camper van reserved for the first two weeks of October. Moonpie has requested at least 2 hotel nights, which is fine by me. I will have to pump out a couple days worth of work anyway, so better to hole up with wifi and get it done.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2022, 04:18:10 PM »
Booked our site in the G section.

Planning to bike some gravel type routes like Onion Creek and might bring the SUP / Kayak and float some flat sections of the Colorado.

@NinetyFour that groups section you have at Needles can a 2 wheel drive van get to it? We are bringing the van to sleep in and might join for a night or two depending on the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2022, 05:29:16 PM »
MOAR FRIENDS!!!!!

The more people who sign up, the better the chances of someone knowing a really good Mexican food truck are.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
Moonpie and I have a campervan reserved to pick up in Vegas on Monday 10/3. I've reserved us two nights at Zion. Plans for Wednesday and Thursday are still fuzzy. We have a spot in the campground in Moab Fri-Mon am.

Unfortunately the 10th-15th are my very busy time at w*#k as I'll have monthly and quarterly reporting due, so I'm going to need to hole up with wifi for at least a day while the rest of you play.

MOAR FRIENDS!!!!!

The more people who sign up, the better the chances of someone knowing a really good Mexican food truck are.
Don't know about food trucks, but in 2019 there was an incredible Mexican restaurant a short walk from the campground.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2022, 03:47:32 PM »
Moonpie and I have a campervan reserved to pick up in Vegas on Monday 10/3. I've reserved us two nights at Zion. Plans for Wednesday and Thursday are still fuzzy. We have a spot in the campground in Moab Fri-Mon am.

Unfortunately the 10th-15th are my very busy time at w*#k as I'll have monthly and quarterly reporting due, so I'm going to need to hole up with wifi for at least a day while the rest of you play.

MOAR FRIENDS!!!!!

Don't know about food trucks, but in 2019 there was an incredible Mexican restaurant a short walk from the campground.

NinetyFour and I found a small swarm of food trucks just a block or so farther past that restaurant, which was either closed or too busy. The food trucks were also packing it in for the day, so not sure if any were Mexican cuisine, but the pizza truck had tasty wares. 🤤🍕

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2022, 06:09:23 AM »
Booked our site in the G section.

Planning to bike some gravel type routes like Onion Creek and might bring the SUP / Kayak and float some flat sections of the Colorado.

This is most excellent news!!!

@NinetyFour that groups section you have at Needles can a 2 wheel drive van get to it? We are bringing the van to sleep in and might join for a night or two depending on the details.

Absolutely.  I haven't actually reserved the site yet (I can't do it until 6 months prior, which would be April 14), but I'm planning on grabbing the Dutch Oven Group Site at Needles for October 14 - 17 (arriving Friday, leaving Monday).   If you go to Recreation.gov and use the satellite view, you can get a pretty good idea of the site.  The driveway is paved, and there are ~7 parking spots.  (And there are other places for overflow parking.)  It says that the max length for a vehicle is 25 feet.  @Dicey I'm betting that Ms. Rigby is a bit longer than that, but I really don't think it would be a problem.  There is plenty of room to maneuver other vehicles around her rear end.  :)

I really hope some MMM Moab peeps will join me for the After Party at Needles.  I'm supposed to have 11 people minimum at this group site.  I will also open it up to friends in my town--we can give them an MMM crash course as they will be a captive audience!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2022, 06:37:44 AM »

Awesome!!  Sounds like your plan is coming together nicely!  I would recommend at least a quick visit to Bryce.  There are some short, easy hikes that give you great views and photo opportunities.  (And longer, harder hikes, too, if you have time!)

I know you and Moonpie have some fondness for the Navajo Nation.  If you drive through Page on your way to Moab, you'll also go through Kayenta, just on the edge of Monument Valley.  If you go a bit farther out of your way, you could also hit Tuba City.

I highly recommend one night at Goosenecks State Park.  From your campsite, you literally look down at amazing and beautiful gooseneck curves in the San Juan River.  And you will have incredibly dark skies at night.

Hope you don't mind me offering up ideas!

As you might know, the Moab Public Library is really nice and might be the perfect place for this.

MOAR FRIENDS!!!!!

Yep!!  Here it is:

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2022, 06:39:59 AM »
A few pics of Goosenecks State Park, taken right at our campsite:

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2022, 07:10:05 AM »
Wow 94, that gooseneck campsite is Amazing!!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2022, 08:29:28 AM »
Um... can we talk gear for a minute?

As forest-dwellers this desert thing is a little off our normal equipment list. We aren't planning on packing our canoe for the flight, but there are other things we are openly wondering about.

1. Tarp - seems reasonable to have for shade, but also, is there anything to tie off to? That gooseneck picture for instance makes me think that if we did bring it, we might find it too windy for it.
2. Hiking poles - are these a nice to have, or a must? We have some (snowshoeing) poles so it's just a matter of whether to pack them  or not.
3. Sleeping arrangements - we are thinking packable cots with sleeping bags, but being off the ground is less insulation if it gets cold at night. We also have thermarest pads, low volume infatable pads, foam pads, and air mattresses, so loads of options (you know we camp sometimes, right?) but the cots are most comfy. Also I don't think scorpions or rattle skakes climb up into cots... do they? DO THEY!!!
4. Cooking gear - I don't think we need it in Moab (Restaurants) but if we venture afar, should we pack our own single-burner and pots/dishes and buy fuel when we arrive, or rely on the kindness of strangers.
5. Weird specialized desert shit that I haven't thought of. Should we be buying specialized Bedouin gear or those hats with the flap of cotton that goes over your neck, or any other stuff that forest dwellers haven't even heard of?

Thanks in advance for your answers and patience.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Suggestions are always welcome. I was kind of thinking Week 1 of the trip would be Utah and Week 2 would be NM and AZ including lots of the Navajo Nation. I'm trying to map all that out, but the Navajo Nation is big and time is short. Unfortunately I know we'll never have time to see it all. We'll just have to come back for 2023.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2022, 09:01:53 AM »

As forest-dwellers this desert thing is a little off our normal equipment list. We aren't planning on packing our canoe for the flight, but there are other things we are openly wondering about.

1. Tarp - seems reasonable to have for shade, but also, is there anything to tie off to? That gooseneck picture for instance makes me think that if we did bring it, we might find it too windy for it.
2. Hiking poles - are these a nice to have, or a must? We have some (snowshoeing) poles so it's just a matter of whether to pack them  or not.
3. Sleeping arrangements - we are thinking packable cots with sleeping bags, but being off the ground is less insulation if it gets cold at night. We also have thermarest pads, low volume infatable pads, foam pads, and air mattresses, so loads of options (you know we camp sometimes, right?) but the cots are most comfy. Also I don't think scorpions or rattle skakes climb up into cots... do they? DO THEY!!!
4. Cooking gear - I don't think we need it in Moab (Restaurants) but if we venture afar, should we pack our own single-burner and pots/dishes and buy fuel when we arrive, or rely on the kindness of strangers.
5. Weird specialized desert shit that I haven't thought of. Should we be buying specialized Bedouin gear or those hats with the flap of cotton that goes over your neck, or any other stuff that forest dwellers haven't even heard of?

It's surprisingly like forest camping, but with fewer trees and usually less mud. Wilderness sites may have trees for tarps (stunted junipers) but usually not. I like hiking poles for muddy, slippery places so unless you like them to keep weight off your knees they aren't essential. Many trails are bare rock, and while tungsten tips do get reasonable purchase, they can be skittery (fun fact: the "slickrock" mountain bike trail has amazing traction, but it's called slickrock because steel-shoed horses found it very slippery).

Most of your usual sleeping and cooking arrangements will work. The biggest things to watch out for will be:
1. Moab is high enough (same as Banff at ~1300m) that flying in from sea level there's a chance of a bit of altitude sickness for the first day: stay hydrated and take a tylenol or two.
2. Big temperature swings between night and day.
3. Hot and dry: much bigger chance of dehydration.
4. Sun protection for skin and eyes. Long sleeves and hat are way more convenient than sunscreen. I've started using a sun-hoody to dramatically cut down the amount of sunscreen needed as it covers the back of my neck and ears.
5. Ticks. We're getting used to ticks in Canada, but the only time I've ever actual found one (on my wife) was in Moab. Anywhere with low brush is likely to have ticks.

I'll be driving down so I'll throw in a stove and pots. Morning coffee without having to go into town will be nice, and cooking a few meals will be good too. It's been 19 years since I used to go to Moab regularly but I remember the breakfast bagels and Mexican food fondly.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2022, 10:54:21 AM »

You're staying at the same campground as the rest of us, right? There's little need for a tarp. All the tent sites (G# or T#) have a picnic table under a wooden shade structure. The structure is smaller in the T sites, and they don't have a fence between them, so would be difficult to put up a tarp (unless you used the hiking poles on the other end). The G sites you could extend the shade, but I didn't particularly find a need for that, though. It's a cooler time of year; 75 in the day, 40 at night. A hat would be enough to keep the sun off, if you're worried about burning.

I really don't think you have to worry about snakes or scorpions in town (but maybe I'm naïve). It's not *at all* wilderness camping. The site is snuggled right into the town, behind a gas station and between a hotel and the grass sports field of a high school.

I brought a bulky 2-burner stove last year and it was handy for keeping costs down. I will also note there is a full-fledged grocery store a block from the campsite (with a Starbucks and everything), if you need day-trip supplies.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2022, 11:11:18 AM »
Since Moonpie and I will have the campervan, anyone in need of a stove is welcome to use ours.

On the flip side, Moab has plenty of camping supply stores which I'm sure sell fuel. It's basically an outdoor gear lover's heaven.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »
We have the typical Coleman Camping stove, too. All the campsites are fairly compact. There's a back staircase up from the tent sites and we'll be close to it again this year.

As to hiking sticks, HELL, YES! Last year, @NinetyFour saved my old lady ass, er, knees by generously suggesting I "try" hers. What a difference! I'll have my own by Moab 2022.

Finally, Miss Rigby wants everyone to know her ass is not that big. She clocks in at a svelte 24'6". She is also sporting brand-new, custom springs, so while she can't off road, she's much more nimble than she was when the factory equipped her.

Our Colorado kids met us in Moab after the meetup last year. He owns an outdoor adventure company. He brought a butane (I think) heater that is safe to use in a tent, because they have small children. They said it made a huge difference. It got very c-c-c-cold at night.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2022, 08:19:27 AM »
Well dang it.  I failed to reserve the Dutch Oven group site at Needles for the after party.  :(  Someone else beat me to it by a split second, I guess.  All the individual sites (in Loop B) that opened up today (for October 13) were snapped up as well.

The sites in Loop A are first come first served, so that's always a possibility.

I am leaving town tomorrow for a backpacking trip (Grand Gulch, UT), so I won't be able to spend anymore time searching for an after party site until after I get back home on Tuesday.

Also--thanks to those who helped to answer the Fish Dude's questions about gear. 

And I'll add that those who are flying in* can probably borrow some things from those of us who are more local.  Like camp chairs, for instance.  Just let us know what you might need.

* Except for a certain Canadian, who, even though she arrived on an airplane 3 years ago, managed to bring ALL the camping gear, including a giant tent, cooler, chairs, stove, solar light, etc. etc. etc.  I'm still shaking my head about her ninja travel skills.  I wonder if she can bring camp chairs for everyone???

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »

My musts for desert

Sun protection - sun screen - wide brimmed hat - and protective clothing. I typically wear a long sleeve sun shirt something like this when doing activities like riding a bike or paddling. You stay nice a cool without using sunscreen (less expensive options can be found online)

https://www.hukgear.com/products/huk-running-lakes-vented-pursuit-running-lakes-beach-glass?variant=41382895288508

Stay hydrated - Drink water, drink some more then  drink even more you need to consume copious quantities of hydrating fluids.

Temp swings - like mentioned above be prepared to be hot during the day and chilly at night I always bring some pants and a light jacket even when it is 80+ during the day it can get chilly as soon as the sun goes down.

My BIL camps in the desert all the time and uses a helinox cot and a sleeping bag. Depending on weather he may or may not use a tent. If it is cold he puts a pad between the cot and himself. We use a tent with lightweight inflatable sleeping pads and sleeping bags if we are not using our camper and have been fine.

I have never seen a snake or scorpion in Moab and the campground is literally in the middle of town very urban style of camping. Plenty of food within a couple of blocks.

We typically cook most of our meals and either use a 2 burner Coleman camping stove or our small bikepacking setup that all fits in a small Ti pot. Sounds like between everyone you should be able to find a spare burner if you want to cook something.

Desert camping around Moab is pretty mild I am sure you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2022, 09:38:59 PM »
...for the after party.

After party? Sounds fun! Thanks to FIRE I have some flexibility and while I'm in the area, the more MTB and after-partying, the better! There are a fair number of free places to camp, even now I think, although I haven't been since 2003.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2022, 01:04:05 PM »
PTF... I have no idea if a road trip that long (30h) will be feasible for us, especially with a 7-month-old, but it sounds like exactly the kind of fun thing we want to do once my spouse quits. And it would be lovely to meet you all. So... put us down as a maybe, I guess? :-)

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2022, 07:03:48 PM »
Also PTF after Dicey's mention in the 2022 cohort thread.  I've been wanting to go visit all the Utah NPs and Grand Canyon at some point.  This would be a good excuse!  It'd be a long road trip for me, so I'll have to see if I can make it work, and get a new car by then.  Or figure out details for flying/renting a car. But it sounds like it'll be a blast and like my kind of meetup, so I'm also a maybe.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2022, 06:26:48 AM »
I am PTF also, I hope I can make it, I am FI and have a SUV that I can sleep in as well as a tent, it is FAR from the east coast though.  Last time I went to Moab 25 years ago was October, melon season and they had fresh honey dew and cantelope everywhere  and it tasted amazing so look for that.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
So say I just showed up in my car would I have a place to sleep or park my car and split a camp site?

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »
So say I just showed up in my car would I have a place to sleep or park my car and split a camp site?

Unless lots of other people descend upon my site, it seems highly likely there would be room for another car and tent. Someone will have room.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2022, 09:05:51 PM »
I've invited the whole 2022 cohort to Moab. There have been a few, "I'm such an introvert, I couldn't possibly do it" comments. I've decided to post reply to them here.

I am a mass of contradictions. I'm the most extroverted introvert you're ever likely to meet at a meetup, or maybe anywhere. Or maybe I'm the most introverted extrovert. I just know I need a lot of each in my life, which is weird. DH is more introverted and was reluctant as hell to attend Moab 2021. Nevertheless, I persisted.

Here's the good part: every one of the Moab 2021 Meetuppers described themselves as introverts and every damn one of them was FAN-TASTIC! Perhaps we are more comfortable because we know we will be with our tribe. I can't explain it, but it was a magical experience. I felt like I'd made more friends in a few days than I had in years. I'm literally counting the days until we can do it again. Better still, DH had a great time too, and he "knew" no one going into it.

If you can make it work, I strongly encourage you to do this thing. Oh, and the scenery doesn't suck, either.

Finally, a big shout-out to @NinetyFour, who makes the Moab Magic happen. I'm not worthy to carry her walking poles.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2022, 10:41:19 PM »
@Dicey maybe you are an ambivert.

+1 on the magical experience.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2022, 10:30:00 PM »
My husband was willing to give Moab a go in 2021 despite his (mostly unstated) fears that he would not like it because he does not participate in the forums, and we are a bit older, way more indoorsy and far more sedentary than many of the Moab campers who were planning to be there.

But having participated last year, he has been gung ho to go again this year, and regularly asks after 94, oneday, Dicey and Mr. Dicey.  My husband is generally a good guy but can be very critical sometimes -- but came away from Moab saying, '"your friends are really nice; I wish they lived closer." 

We had a blast with the group.  The folks in the group did some things together, others separately.  As I've found in the two CM*TO camps I've been lucky to attend, the kind of people who tend to participate in Mustachianism and in these meetups tend to be really decent and thoughtful people, and tend also to be willing to enjoy each others' company but also accept each others' differences and need to do some things separately or in smaller groups sometimes.  Honestly, it felt to me a bit like being back in college -- with really interesting people, some of whom had very different experiences and interests and skills, but were willing to share and just enjoy being together and learning about each other. 

94 and oneday are much more athletic and much better walkers and hikers than we are; but we all enjoyed a trip to Arches National Park together.  We drove and at various stops they gambolled up mountains and on boulders while DH and I stayed more tamely near the car, but I think we all had a blast.  Another day we hit a little art fair.  Many coffees in town were had.  I'm trying to walk a little every day so I can build up my stamina after some serious foot problems over the past years, but I've gotta say, everyone was patient with me when I was slow.

The minute 94 pinged me about doing another Moab meetup in 2022, I asked my husband, and he was SO EXCITED to go.  (As was I.)

This year we are making a concession to age and staying in a local hotel, mostly because late night plumbing is a necessity for us; but we are so looking forward to the campfires and to some outings.  Anyway, there's a bit of "choose your own adventure" about this, but unlike some other group vacations we have had (viz., with my English cousin), the vibe at Moab was very relaxed, very "chill" and very accepting.  Honestly, getting a chance to just hang out and enjoy in person some of the regulars in the Journals section was the best part --- it was like meeting old friends, only they were new ones, and it is such a delight to get to know some folks who are just such great people.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »
@Embok you convinced me.  I was having the same concerns as your husband. Now I have to figure out where to stay, if I want to try car/small tent camping or hope to share a cabin with someone, or what. Is everyone staying in a certain area?

I assume I'd regret bringing my small, very well behaved dog.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
What @Embok said. Mr. Dicey thought I had lost my mind. I knew in my gut it was "now or never", so off we went. We had a fantastic time and he is looking forward to MM2022 as eagerly as I am.

It is a long haul for us, and I co-chair a very large annual event that happens the first Saturday of the meetup. Last year, we headed to Moab on Sunday and arrived Monday. This year, we are so eager to get there that we plan to roll out on Saturday afternoon, as soon as VL Event wraps up, so that we can get there a day earlier. I assure you, this is nuts, but worth it to get a little more hang time with a bunch of really cool people friends.

Because we got there late, we stayed a few extra days in Moab. One day we rented ebikes, which were a lot of fun, so that's another not overly strenuous activity to add to the list. I also had time to check out all the Moab Thrift Stores ;-)

In terms of fitness, we are somewhere in the middle. We are active hikers, but what we do locally is less technical than Moab, because they're dirt trails. There are lots of cool rocks in Moab, and very often, they are the trail. Two lessons learned are the need for good footwear and how amazingly helpful walking sticks are (Dicey waves gratefully to @NinetyFour). My cautionary tale of what happened when I bought Thrift Store boots is outlined on page three:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/moab-meetup-2021/msg2988626/#new

In summary, Moab has something for everyone, but a Moab Meetup is something even more memorable. Kudos to NinetyFour for making this life-enriching event happen.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »
I am one of the less fit folks.  We can find lots.to.do, I'm sure.  As for dogs, the prary.issue is that for the most part dogs are not allowed in National Parks.  If you have a ace at home that the dog will be happy that might be best for your first time out.  You can see for yourself if the dog would fit in on future Moab meetups.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2022, 10:48:34 AM »
OK, I've reserved a tentsite for the first 3 nights. After that, depending on how things go, I'll either find other accommodations or go home.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2022, 11:13:35 AM »
There is a nice hostel in town where I stayed the first year.  I can't remember the name right now .

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2022, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm really hoping we can roll this in to my need to return to Seattle in the Fall for my 6-month hip surgery follow-up. My appt is currently August 9th but if I can move that to the end of the month I don't think Moab in mid-October would be out of the question. We'd visit some family in Arizona in between.

I am extremely disappointed to learn that the State of Utah has turned the free dispersed camping areas of Willow Springs Road and Dalton Wells into a state park now requiring fees to camp. $15 per night is a great price but it's just one more place you'll never again be able to stay on a whim. I would love to see the Needles District of Canyonlands! Delaying the start of the trip by almost a month would make our baby one month older which would probably make it easier to car camp across the country with her. It's a strong consideration!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2022, 09:14:06 AM »
...for the after party.

After party? Sounds fun! Thanks to FIRE I have some flexibility and while I'm in the area, the more MTB and after-partying, the better! There are a fair number of free places to camp, even now I think, although I haven't been since 2003.

Glad you are interested in the after party!  Hopefully we will be able to find some camping spot that will work for whoever can linger for more fun!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2022, 09:15:07 AM »
PTF... I have no idea if a road trip that long (30h) will be feasible for us, especially with a 7-month-old, but it sounds like exactly the kind of fun thing we want to do once my spouse quits. And it would be lovely to meet you all. So... put us down as a maybe, I guess? :-)

I can pretty much guarantee you’d all have fun.  Hope you can make it!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2022, 09:17:34 AM »
Also PTF after Dicey's mention in the 2022 cohort thread.  I've been wanting to go visit all the Utah NPs and Grand Canyon at some point.  This would be a good excuse!  It'd be a long road trip for me, so I'll have to see if I can make it work, and get a new car by then.  Or figure out details for flying/renting a car. But it sounds like it'll be a blast and like my kind of meetup, so I'm also a maybe.

I’m so glad you saw Dicey’s mention of it!  (Thanks, @Dicey , for continuing to spread the word far and wide!)  I hope you will be able to join us!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
I am PTF also, I hope I can make it, I am FI and have a SUV that I can sleep in as well as a tent, it is FAR from the east coast though.  Last time I went to Moab 25 years ago was October, melon season and they had fresh honey dew and cantelope everywhere  and it tasted amazing so look for that.

Yes—VERY far from the east coast!!  I think you’ll be shocked at how much Moab has changed (SOOOOO much development, and SOOOOOO many tourists), but I think it’s still an amazing place.  I’m glad you are hoping to join us!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »

Yes—VERY far from the east coast!!  I think you’ll be shocked at how much Moab has changed (SOOOOO much development, and SOOOOOO many tourists), but I think it’s still an amazing place.  I’m glad you are hoping to join us!
Fortunately we have a very experienced host who knows where all the tourists aren't.

I procured 5 shiny new skewers at a garage sale over the weekend. I figure there will be a need to make S'mores in greater quantity this year, so I want to be prepared. I'll be sure to source some organic dark chocolate and vegan marshmallows, too!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2022, 10:11:17 AM »

Unless lots of other people descend upon my site, it seems highly likely there would be room for another car and tent. Someone will have room.

I think most of the tent sites can accommodate two tents. 

I just checked the campground website, and I was pleased to see that there are still sites available for at least some of the nights.  Just a reminder that they have a VERY generous cancellation policy, so anyone who is interested might want to book a site!

I've invited the whole 2022 cohort to Moab. There have been a few, "I'm such an introvert, I couldn't possibly do it" comments. I've decided to post reply to them here.

I am a mass of contradictions. I'm the most extroverted introvert you're ever likely to meet at a meetup, or maybe anywhere. Or maybe I'm the most introverted extrovert. I just know I need a lot of each in my life, which is weird. DH is more introverted and was reluctant as hell to attend Moab 2021. Nevertheless, I persisted.

Here's the good part: every one of the Moab 2021 Meetuppers described themselves as introverts and every damn one of them was FAN-TASTIC! Perhaps we are more comfortable because we know we will be with our tribe. I can't explain it, but it was a magical experience. I felt like I'd made more friends in a few days than I had in years. I'm literally counting the days until we can do it again. Better still, DH had a great time too, and he "knew" no one going into it.

If you can make it work, I strongly encourage you to do this thing. Oh, and the scenery doesn't suck, either.

Finally, a big shout-out to @NinetyFour, who makes the Moab Magic happen. I'm not worthy to carry her walking poles.

Thanks, @Dicey , for sharing your memories of last year’s meetup!  I’m so glad you and Mr. Dicey had such a great time.  I didn’t really do much of anything, except start a thread!  I lucked out that fantastic people attended and the group dynamics worked so well.  And the Moab vibe and amazing scenery did the rest!

I’m so glad you will be there again to help create more magic!

(Hmm…wondering if I should add the word “magic” to this thread title…)

Thanks for the heads up on this @NinetyFour  and others. Too early to make plans (not sure what I'm doing tomorrow yet ;-)) but am PTF. While I'm a bit of an introvert I generally enjoy being with people...for awhile. But I am mostly deaf so makes it harder to interact. I usually just smile and nod along with the conversations like an idiot and occasionally say stupid totally non-related stuff so I'm fun that way ;-).

@spartana  As you know, my elusive friend, I have some significant hearing loss as well.  Hiking with friends is challenging for me, as I’m always asking them to repeat what they said.  Or I just give up, which means I miss all the fun conversation.  That said, I really really really hope you can join us this year.  You and I can sit around the campfire and smile and nod together!!!  :)

My husband was willing to give Moab a go in 2021 despite his (mostly unstated) fears that he would not like it because he does not participate in the forums, and we are a bit older, way more indoorsy and far more sedentary than many of the Moab campers who were planning to be there.

But having participated last year, he has been gung ho to go again this year, and regularly asks after 94, oneday, Dicey and Mr. Dicey.  My husband is generally a good guy but can be very critical sometimes -- but came away from Moab saying, '"your friends are really nice; I wish they lived closer." 

We had a blast with the group.  The folks in the group did some things together, others separately.  As I've found in the two CM*TO camps I've been lucky to attend, the kind of people who tend to participate in Mustachianism and in these meetups tend to be really decent and thoughtful people, and tend also to be willing to enjoy each others' company but also accept each others' differences and need to do some things separately or in smaller groups sometimes.  Honestly, it felt to me a bit like being back in college -- with really interesting people, some of whom had very different experiences and interests and skills, but were willing to share and just enjoy being together and learning about each other. 

94 and oneday are much more athletic and much better walkers and hikers than we are; but we all enjoyed a trip to Arches National Park together.  We drove and at various stops they gambolled up mountains and on boulders while DH and I stayed more tamely near the car, but I think we all had a blast.  Another day we hit a little art fair.  Many coffees in town were had.  I'm trying to walk a little every day so I can build up my stamina after some serious foot problems over the past years, but I've gotta say, everyone was patient with me when I was slow.

The minute 94 pinged me about doing another Moab meetup in 2022, I asked my husband, and he was SO EXCITED to go.  (As was I.)

This year we are making a concession to age and staying in a local hotel, mostly because late night plumbing is a necessity for us; but we are so looking forward to the campfires and to some outings.  Anyway, there's a bit of "choose your own adventure" about this, but unlike some other group vacations we have had (viz., with my English cousin), the vibe at Moab was very relaxed, very "chill" and very accepting.  Honestly, getting a chance to just hang out and enjoy in person some of the regulars in the Journals section was the best part --- it was like meeting old friends, only they were new ones, and it is such a delight to get to know some folks who are just such great people.

Thanks for sharing your reflections about last year and your plans for this year.  It’s a great sign of success that EVERYONE who attended last year plans to attend this year!! 

You are totally right—that this meetup has a “choose your adventure” vibe, and is very relaxed and chill.  That is definitely by design (or lack of design).  I’ve always just wanted it to be a fun and relaxed meetup, during which the participants can be as active, outdoorsy, and adventurous as they want.  “To each their own” is really the overall guideline, I guess—in terms of accommodation, structure, planning, and activity level.  And, thus far, it has worked pretty well, I think.

@Embok you convinced me.  I was having the same concerns as your husband. Now I have to figure out where to stay, if I want to try car/small tent camping or hope to share a cabin with someone, or what. Is everyone staying in a certain area?

I assume I'd regret bringing my small, very well behaved dog.

This is very exciting news—I’m so glad you are planning to join us!  Most of us will be at the Sun Outdoors Moab Downtown campground.  Not sure if there are any cabins still available, but you can go to the website or call directly.  And yes, there is a hostel a couple miles south of the campground, and scads of hotels.

@CanuckExpat and his family had two cute little dogs at our first meetup.  And the dogs didn’t seem to cramp their style.  But when the family went out for adventuring, they were able to leave the dogs in their RV.  Note:  I’m pretty sure dogs are not allowed on the trails at Arches or Canyonlands.

I'm really hoping we can roll this in to my need to return to Seattle in the Fall for my 6-month hip surgery follow-up. My appt is currently August 9th but if I can move that to the end of the month I don't think Moab in mid-October would be out of the question. We'd visit some family in Arizona in between.

I am extremely disappointed to learn that the State of Utah has turned the free dispersed camping areas of Willow Springs Road and Dalton Wells into a state park now requiring fees to camp. $15 per night is a great price but it's just one more place you'll never again be able to stay on a whim. I would love to see the Needles District of Canyonlands! Delaying the start of the trip by almost a month would make our baby one month older which would probably make it easier to car camp across the country with her. It's a strong consideration!

It would be great if you could join us!!!!

My guess is that those areas were getting trashed by all the people who camped there for free?  In any case, Moab is definitely changing, and I think they are wrestling with all kinds of issues that have arisen because of all the growth and because of all the new outdoorsy people created by Covid!!

I love love love Needles.  Just an amazing place for red rock hiking.  You’d love it!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »

Fortunately we have a very experienced host who knows where all the tourists aren't.

I procured 5 shiny new skewers at a garage sale over the weekend. I figure there will be a need to make S'mores in greater quantity this year, so I want to be prepared. I'll be sure to source some organic dark chocolate and vegan marshmallows, too!

😋

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2022, 05:43:50 PM »

I'm sure I don't need to point out the awesome alliteration that "Magical MOAB Meetup" has...

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »

I'm sure I don't need to point out the awesome alliteration that "Magical MOAB Meetup" has...
I guess I'll pack my wand :)