Author Topic: Michigan, West siders  (Read 11379 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Michigan, West siders
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
I read through all 4 pages of titles and only saw Detroit.

Any Michiganders here on the West side?

I am a few min north of Grand Rapids

I am sure their are a lot of Mustachians here, some have just never heard of him before, I mean this is dutch country right ;)

KMB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Michigan, West siders
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:07:50 AM »
I'm in GR and down for a meetup.

smartierthanthou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Way late to this party, but I'm in the Cascade area of GR and would love to meet up!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
I forgot I had started this :) 

Any suggestions on where to meet up?

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
What a rollercoaster!  First, a proposed meetup in West Michigan, wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!

Then realizing I am in Grand Haven (45 miles away), and sold my car .....
(We still have one car, but there are 7 of us .....)

Let me know when/where you plan on meeting, if I can make it work I would love to do it!

Dyk

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
The Mustache Map! shows another user 'MMen' .....
http://goo.gl/maps/0FV0K, not sure if anyone has messaged them yet ....

smartierthanthou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »
I'm going to be in Canada, kayaking, until the second week of September. After that, I'm quite flexible! Potluck in a park, maybe? I could even head out to Grand Haven for a beach day, although not as Mustachian!

Dyk

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
Wait a minute .... hold on!

I LOVE to kayak, how are you able to kayak for the next 3 weeks?!?

(Potluck in the park sounds great, at some point people should chime in if they want this to be a family or individual event.  I have 5 kids.....)
I am able to make going that way work too, like you said, not as Mustachian, but probably worth it to meet up!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
Well I come with a hubby and 3 kids, a potluck at a park sounds pretty mustachian (and autocorrect wants to make that say Musician) Grand haven would be doable for us if it was on a weekend. We could do GR anytime.

smartierthanthou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
Vacation days, I guess? Technically, this is two separate trips  of camping/kayaking, but it will be busy and crowded in between so not a good time for a meet up! I don't have kids, so I'll defer to your schedules :)

pa10ge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
My boyfriend and I would love to join in on your potluck at the park/beach.  He lives in Holland and I live in Grand Rapids but we're open to meet in either GR or Grand Haven (or Holland ;). Weekends work best for us, especially if we meet in Grand Haven (we'll be biking so we'll need a little time to get there and back).  We don't have kids but we don't mind if they join. Super excited!!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Posting to follow on the off-chance something crops up during Thanksgiving weekend.  From Kalamazoo originally, so we visit the area from time to time.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
Just wanted to say Hi to the other Mustachians in West Michigan.  Doesn't appear to be too many, unfortunately.  The LCOL makes it pretty easy to be frugal, but harder to make a decent living.

JDM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
Hi West Michigan Mustachians!
My boyfriend and I are moving back to Grand Haven in January and want to make some new friends
that are not spend-crazy like many of our old friends from that area. This thread seems like a good place to start!

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »
Just joined the forum, but I've been reading the blog for a while now.  I'm in Holland and would love to know about future meetups!

MittenMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »
Late to the party, but I'm in Zeeland.

JDM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
West Michigan Mustachians!

We should do a badass winter hike somewhere in January.
Maybe Hoffmaster Park in the Muskegon area.
Or Rosie Mound? Saugatuck? Or I could make my way out to Holland/ GR/ etc.

Anyone have a good place to hike or just meet?

Happy Holidays!

patela85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
This sounds like a great idea, when i last checked i don't think i ever saw anyone from grand rapids posting on here, glad there are a few more now! I live in downtown grand rapids and don't have a car so I'd be willing to meet anytime outside of normal business hours for pretty much anything as long as i can get there by bike or bus. That winter hike sounds like fun but I wouldn't know where to do it. Suggestions on locations closer to Grand Rapids or perhaps we could set up a carpool from a predestined location?

holden99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
Lansing here with roots and a rental property in Holland so I make my way there regularly.  I would be interested in a get together as well. 

onlyuptome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
New to the forum, I just got done reading the whole entire blog.  I'm in the Wyoming area, and would love to get together with any West Michigan people.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
I am also new here, live in GR, would love to do a get together, and this will pop the discussion to the top of the board.

At least with this group, I don't have to worry about everyone wanting to meet for an expensive dinner, lol.

JDM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
Sunday, March 15th. I will be going for a hike at Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon. Who's with me? It's a pretty short trail, but with some nice views of the lake. Maybe around noon? Tea afterwards?

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 08:10:05 PM »
I will keep it in mind, but feeling very wimpy complainy-pants this winter.  I do have obligations to care for my mother, so may be busy with her.  It is so close, however, that I feel I must try to come. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:29:21 PM by Milizard »

onlyuptome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
Sunday, March 15th. I will be going for a hike at Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon. Who's with me? It's a pretty short trail, but with some nice views of the lake. Maybe around noon? Tea afterwards?

I'd be interested...

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
I'd also be interested. It will depend on the weather, but as long as it isn't horrible...

Carnivore_Plant_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
I hail from Lansing, but would be interested in a meetup! But probably after school is done...

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
Hey everybody,  not sure if any meetups ever happened, but I wanted to post about another group called "We Ride GR", or "Wednesday Night Rides".  A group of people meet up in memorial park (right next to the children's museum) and do a super relaxed group ride around GR every Wed. night.  These aren't mustiacians (at least that has ever come up), but they are bike people (lots of regular commuters, etc).  It's a pretty fun time and completely free.

Check out the website (or facebook group via the website) if you're interested:
www.weridegr.com

Pretzel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 06:41:28 AM »
Also in the Grand Rapids area and would go to a meet up.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
Just moved to Lansing with my wife and would up for a meetup in the Grand Rapids area.

midmigurl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
I'm from Mt. Pleasant.

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
Hi Michigan folks!  I'd really appreciate your input on my question on the Ask a Mustachian forum: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/calling-michigan-mustachians!/

enki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 09:15:50 PM »
I'm just north of GR and I'm interested in meeting like-minded people. I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.

tesuzuki2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living life and building Freedom Money
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
Hello west Michigan mustachians.   I am originally from the WM area and currently am on a hiatus about an hour north of Los Angeles on a pretty neat work opportunity..   

I still own my home in the GR area and plan to move back in a few years when I decide to kick off the early retirement.. 

I come home to check on my house a few times a year and visiting family for holidays but if there are and meet up I'd like to stay in the loop might in interested in attending one of these days with some mid-west folks.. 

cheers!!
 Timm

seth314

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »
Little help needed from the Western Michigan Mustachians. My wife and I (and soon to be first-born baby) are moving to the Grand Rapids area next year. We've never lived there and are looking for a fixer upper house, something to flip after two years. Any suggestions on neighborhoods that are rising in price would be greatly appreciated. We're looking to spend $50k-$125k on this first house. We've successfully flipped two houses in Pittsburgh and are moving to MI to be closer to our families.

On the flipping side, I do most of the work, sell the house through the MLS on my own, and would be happy to have fellow Mustachians over to learn stuff and teach me stuff.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and knowledge.
 Sincerely,
   Seth

KMB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Little help needed from the Western Michigan Mustachians. My wife and I (and soon to be first-born baby) are moving to the Grand Rapids area next year. We've never lived there and are looking for a fixer upper house, something to flip after two years. Any suggestions on neighborhoods that are rising in price would be greatly appreciated. We're looking to spend $50k-$125k on this first house. We've successfully flipped two houses in Pittsburgh and are moving to MI to be closer to our families.

On the flipping side, I do most of the work, sell the house through the MLS on my own, and would be happy to have fellow Mustachians over to learn stuff and teach me stuff.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and knowledge.
 Sincerely,
   Seth

Seth, you'll want to look between Heritage Hill and Eastown on the Southeast side. You should be able to find a fixer for somewhere between the middle to the high end of your range. Appreciation has been solid in that area and will likely continue to outpace most of the metro area.

kjNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 07:47:40 AM »
Anyone want to do a West Michigan meetup? Looking to meet like minded individuals in the area.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
I'm game.

Hollander here.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
Would love to! I live in the greater GR area.

kjNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »
Only two respondents, but let's set something up!