Author Topic: Melburnian Mustachians? (Australia)  (Read 91294 times)

lizi

• Pencil Stache
Melburnian Mustachians? (Australia)
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:52 AM »
Hi all,

I've seen a few Mustachians from Melbourne hovering around the boards and comments sections and I thought it would be neat to have a local meet up. A BBQ on the Yarra would be cheap and easy, if a bit chilly at this time of year. Other winter-friendly suggestions are welcome. I'm in the inner north.

Cheers,

Liz

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: Melburnian Mustachians? (Australia)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
Hello Liz! I think there's maybe at least three of us Melburnians here? Or something like that. P.S. I notice this is your first post, would like to see you post more often on these boards. It's like you'd gotten to know us but we still don't know anything about you. ;)

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:15 AM »
Fair enough! That said, I haven't spent that much time in the forum/comments sections so I don't reaaally know people on here either. My first post may have made me sound like more of a lurker than I actually am :)

As for something about me: I devoured the whole MMM blog around this time last year, and made some massive changes to my life as a result (the biggest being riding 15km to work every day). I'm a naturally frugal person thanks to my parents and their simple lifestyle, but I never realised that being frugal could serve a purpose beyond irritating the hell out of my decidedly extravagant boyfriend. MMM certainly shone a light on what saving money is worth and reinvigorated my frugality. I've gone back to uni full time this year to do engineering, which has pared my income right back but hopefully I'll be reimbursed within a few years of graduating.

Now I'm on holidays I'll have a flick through the boards and pipe up if I have anything to offer!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
No worries! Sounds like you're doing well. :D

I probably won't be available for any meetups until August (going interstate soon etc). But actually, I do have a suggestion, go look up Free Feed Street Kitchen. They do good work re-distributing cafe/restaurant leftovers to anyone who wants in ( it's not just for the down and out, everyone is welcome). They have a quick Free Feed this Friday that I may attend, actually, it'll be my first time visiting and I'll see what it's like.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:39 AM »
This makes me wish I was in Melbourne! I've never seen another Perth mustachian on the forum... Guess I'll have to convert a few :-)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »
This makes me wish I was in Melbourne! I've never seen another Perth mustachian on the forum... Guess I'll have to convert a few :-)

There is a possibility that I'll be in Perth next year. But we'll see. ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:38 AM »
There is a possibility that I'll be in Perth next year.

Are you thinking of moving here, or coming on holiday?

Perth is awesome. We have a lot going on now, and a surprising amount of free/frugal stuff to do. If you're thinking of moving here I'd suggest checking out We Love Perth - http://weloveperth.net.au/ - have to ignore the spendy crap but it's a good intro to the creative side of my sunny little city.

Housing is just as insane as everywhere else in Aus, but the salaries here are relatively high as employers are competing with the mining industry for staff.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
Are you thinking of moving here, or coming on holiday?

Perth is awesome. We have a lot going on now, and a surprising amount of free/frugal stuff to do. If you're thinking of moving here I'd suggest checking out We Love Perth - http://weloveperth.net.au/ - have to ignore the spendy crap but it's a good intro to the creative side of my sunny little city.

Housing is just as insane as everywhere else in Aus, but the salaries here are relatively high as employers are competing with the mining industry for staff.

Thanks! :) I visited for the first time this year, with my boyfriend (it's his hometown). His family is out in the Perth Hills area, though, which isn't very happening (but I guess could be good for a simple, frugal lifestyle). I remember popping by that website when I was researching things to do in Perth, but not very thoroughly, will definitely take a better look if I move there.

We may possibly be moving in with his parents next year. I love Melbourne and am reluctant to leave it behind - but I had a good time when I was in Perth, and the move would be really helpful for achieving extensive travel goals while still having a home base, without having to pay for rent/storage, if we do any long trips. The idea is to stay with his parents in Perth, do a decent chunk of travelling, probably mostly in Asia (and also visit my parents there while we're at it). And we'd either be on sabbatical or working as digital nomads during this time. But, yeah, it's still up in the air... I'm a little scared of changing the status quo, and yet, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, fortune favours the bold, etc etc, right? :p

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
Huh, its too far to ride my bike to Melbourne or I'd come.
Some Aussie meetups would be good but we seem to be sprinkled a bit thin......

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »
Limeandpepper, are you concerned about being isolated if you move here? Or does your partner still have a social circle in Perth? I'm pretty introverted so i'd hate to move away from my little niche, but it sounds like it would enable you to fulfil some big dreams :-)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
HappierAtHome, yeah I think it's the isolation that makes me hesitant. Neither of us actually grew up in Melbourne, but have lived here for several years, and have a bigger and more diverse social circle here than where we originally came from. Back home it's just high school acquaintances, while Melbourne, I guess, is sort of where I've found myself as an adult. Also, in Melbourne we both live in inner-city suburbs, so don't feel the need for a car, both of us just walk or take public transport. If we move to Perth CBD that would be alright, but the Hills just seem so far away from everything.

However, benefits are: getting to spend time with his family, and also my family home will be a shorter plane ride away as well - basically, the opportunity to spend bigger chunks of time with both sets of families. We can be nomadic and spend weeks with the family, then weeks somewhere else, etc., it could be very cool. And it could be just the push I need to downshift and explore life outside the office.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »
Some Aussie meetups would be good but we seem to be sprinkled a bit thin......

We sure are! I've seen a few people from Sydney or Melbourne, and I've just seen another Perth person here for the first time ever. Maybe mustachianism is gaining traction here?

If we move to Perth CBD that would be alright, but the Hills just seem so far away from everything.

Yeah, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but living in the hills makes it very, very hard to use your bike, shanks pony or public transport to get anywhere. But then at the same time, it sounds like it would suit the kind of lifestyle you want to transition to. It sounds like you're pretty close to FI?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but living in the hills makes it very, very hard to use your bike, shanks pony or public transport to get anywhere. But then at the same time, it sounds like it would suit the kind of lifestyle you want to transition to. It sounds like you're pretty close to FI?

Yeah, it would be a very hilly 30-minute walk or something like that, to the closest shops. I'm used to having shops within 5 minutes walking distance!

In regards to FI, I've probably still got another ten years of full time work to go, if I stay in Australia, which is a fair while away. If I return to my home country, then it becomes exponentially closer, say a couple of years. Ideally I'd spend time in both countries... that's what my retired parents are pretty much doing these days!

vjb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
I'm from Melbourne. :) I finally joined the forum all of five minutes ago.

Is a meetup still on the cards?

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
We're about an hour from Melbourne. Will actually be passing through October 17.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »
Is a meetup still on the cards?

Depends if enough of us are proactive and organised enough to make it happen, I guess. :p  I think there may be a couple more Melburnians around on the forums but they haven't participated in this thread yet.

abyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
I'm from Melbourne (also inner north) and would be interested in meeting other mustachians.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I'm from Melbourne (also inner north) and would be interested in meeting other mustachians.

Nice! I'm actually in inner southeast but spend half my time at my boyfriend's place inner north.

P.S. I've gone to that street kitchen thing I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, a couple of times. It's pretty good.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 03:09:12 AM »
this is quite interesting...so many Melbournians!

Sydneysiders must be a different breed. Being mustachian and paying a Sydney mortgage is generally thought to be mutually exclusive :)

Good luck guys & girls, hope you have fun.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
Ooooh this is so exciting!

I've been going to the Free Feed Street Kitchen regularly since you first mentioned it, limeandpepper. It is such a great idea. Our freezer is full of delicious fancy sourdough bread.

So maybe for a meet up we could colonise the FFSK on a Wednesday night. It might be a bit tricky to kick back and form a splinter group in the limited space, but it certainly is an exercise in mustachianism. Otherwise I was thinking a BBQ or just a couple of beers in a park somewhere, and that's about where my creativity runs out. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:55 AM »
Hey Liz, I'm so glad my FFSK suggestion has been a boon! They do such great work. I've been a couple of times but only on the "Grab & Go" Free Feed First Fridays which were running July - September... not sure if it's still happening. The Friday ones don't have the social aspect that I think the Wednesday ones have. What was it like when you went? Do you hang around and chat to people?

I'd be happy with either FFSK or a simple BBQ somewhere. Another possibility is a potluck picnic.

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:43 AM »
Hi Melburnians!

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought I'd take advantage of the congregation of you to ask for advice :)

My husband is from Melbourne, but we currently live in my hometown in Canada. We're headed back to Melbourne for a visit next week. My Australian visa (temporary work permit, should convert to permanent residency next year) has finally come in, so while we aren't planning on moving to Oz in the short term, I want to activate it before it expires so the money and effort isn't wasted.

I'm in Melbourne for a short two weeks (my husband is staying for 5 weeks) and have been giving thought to how to keep a visit to Melbourne a little more frugal than normal! When we visit we always get caught up with seeing people we haven't seen in ages, going out to eat etc., and our bills make my stomach squirm. We also tend to like to do something special since we're there, which ends up costing a bit too.

This time we're in a bit better position already. We have a wedding to attend of some very frugal friends. The wedding will by no means by over the top and it will be less expensive than many weddings we've been to recently, and we'll get to see lots of our friends. The following weekend friends of ours have planned a camping trip that more and more people are signing on to! I am so excited to have this frugal way to see everyone again :)

My question is for the weekdays in between. I'd still like to be a bit of a tourist and soak up some of the lovely Melbourne atmosphere. This usually lends itself to drinks in an alley or (more commonly) at the bar on the Yarra... Ponyfish I think? Expensive! We'll be staying between Port Melbourne, Beaumaris, and will likely head down the peninsula at some point towards Rye. I'm hoping for some bike riding to explore.

Can anyone suggest some lovely places and experiences in Melbourne that won't cost much, if any $? I'm thinking events at Federation Square, picnics at a lovely park, out of the way spots that only Melburnians know about?

Can't wait to be back in your lovely city (and escape the ridiculous winter we're having)!!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
Hello Parkette!

I'm quite a homebody, so others might be able to give you more diverse suggestions. I love food. An idea would be to visit one of the Melbourne markets (Queen Victoria Market, South Melbourne Market, Prahran Market) and have a nice stroll, grab some food (e.g. cheese, bread/crackers, fruit?) from there and have a picnic lunch at a nearby park. :) Oh and if you feel like a bit of seafood luxury, you can get a dozen oysters from South Melbourne Market for $12, which is much cheaper than restaurants. If you're eating out, check out Urbanspoon for cheap (the ones with just one $ sign) but highly rated spots - anything above 80% is usually pretty decent.

I'm not very up-to-date with events myself, but you can check these sites for event calenders and such:
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx
http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/

Oh oh oh and I'm super excited about this. You'll arrive in time for this installation:

http://streetpianos.com/melbourne2014/

It may be your kind of thing, or not. I'm planning to go play a piano or two with my boyfriend! :D

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:47 AM »
Oh oh oh and I'm super excited about this. You'll arrive in time for this installation:

http://streetpianos.com/melbourne2014/

It may be your kind of thing, or not. I'm planning to go play a piano or two with my boyfriend! :D

Oooh, thanks for this tip! We'll keep an eye out when we're around. I play a bit, but probably not brave enough to do it publicly unless there's no one around :)

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Ha Parkette, I've just done the exact opposite and swapped Melbourne for snowy Quebec!

For a cheap way to have a nice drink Melbourne, I would recommend buying some beer/wine and enjoying it in a park (Carlton Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, etc). If it's a nice day I can guarantee it will be just as good as a bar. Footscray is also an awesome place to go for cheap market food, and I second the Queen Vic market suggestion. If you go near closing time everything gets super cheap.

Cycling is a great way to get around, and it's a really easy city to ride in. The bike hire scheme isn't ideeeaaal, mostly due to needing a helmet, and having a 30 minute limit. If you need a bike you can probably just borrow mine for 2 weeks, it's just sitting at home feeling neglected.

Also, if you do get roped in to going out for dinner/drinks here are some cheap(er) suggestions:

- Killiney Kopitam, Lygon St, Carlton. Singaporean restaurant, most meals <$10
- Ajisen Ramen, two locations in the CBD: Bourke St and Central. Japanese ramen noodle place, mostly <$15
- Houndstooth, Johnston St, Fitzroy. Does fixed price courses, ie $20 for two course, $25 for three, $30 for four. Two is plenty, and the food is always great. It also has long dark wood tables and nice lighting so you feel like you're spending a lot more.

There is also heaps of cheap Asian food, pubs tend to have cheaper nights during the week (if you like craft beer Dejavu Bar in the city does $6 pints on Wednesday nights).

I will update you if anything else springs to mind! Enjoy the (relative) warmth!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Footscray is also an awesome place to go for cheap market food

Adding to this! Not only are the markets cheap, but they also offer more tropical fruits and vegetables than you don't easily find elsewhere in most of Melbourne. Also Footscray is a great place for Vietnamese food. If you do go there, you can grab a pork baguette for about $4, or a bowl of pho for about $9. Richmond is also great if you like Vietnamese food. Springvale as well, but it's further out.

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
Thanks LizI and limeandpepper! Awesome suggestions- and you're making me hungry :) Can't wait for some delicious & inexpensive Melbourne eats!

killingxspree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
Footscray is also an awesome place to go for cheap market food

Adding to this! Not only are the markets cheap, but they also offer more tropical fruits and vegetables than you don't easily find elsewhere in most of Melbourne. Also Footscray is a great place for Vietnamese food. If you do go there, you can grab a pork baguette for about $4, or a bowl of pho for about $9. Richmond is also great if you like Vietnamese food. Springvale as well, but it's further out.

Add Preston to the list

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »
Hey guys! Whatever happened to the Melbourne meetup? I would love to catch up with other Mustachians. I think anything in the CBD or close to it would be ideal as it's central. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions - just wanted to register my interest and turn on the 'Notify' option for this thread. But we should totally do it!!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
I'm in for anything that ends up happening!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »
Haha we really should organise something! Should we aim for something in May? I feel like I should participate in at least ONE Melbourne meet while I'm still here...

Unfortunately it looks like we're past picnic / BBQ weather these days. These are about the cheapest eats I can find in Melbourne CBD, feel free to chime in with any other suggestions.

http://www.iskcon.net.au/food/crossways
http://www.omvegetarian.com/

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
I heard about a free dinner some place apparently does on Wednesdays in Smith St. Facebook link here.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »
I heard about a free dinner some place apparently does on Wednesdays in Smith St. Facebook link here.

LOL I posted about that earlier in this thread, just scroll up.

Yeah, it's pretty good but since my boyfriend moved interstate, I haven't been hanging out inner north, it's a bit out of the way for me as I live and work south of the river. But you should definitely check out Free Feed Street Kitchen if it's convenient for you, I went a few times last year and it was great, as free food tends to be! ;)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
I'm happy to pay ~$10 or so. I think the CBD would be best as people will be coming from different suburbs - I myself would be coming from the west. Either of those things limeandpepper suggested is good with me, and I've also been to Killiney Kopitiam (mentioned earlier) and loved it.

What day are we thinking? Maybe Saturday, for lunch, or Friday for dinner?

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »
LOL I posted about that earlier in this thread, just scroll up.
Hah, great minds think alike!\

What day are we thinking? Maybe Saturday, for lunch, or Friday for dinner?
I think a lunch would be better. It's more casual that way.

wealthywinters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wealthy Winters
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
Would you mind if I jumped in? I'm new to mustachianism but slightly less new to the general mindset ... I live out east but work in the CBD.

Given the weather, as a suggestion, there are some cheap Asian food places in the city where you can get a feed for under $10 ... although I can't recommend anything personally. That might be a nice alternative to somewhere outside?

Nice to meet everyone - have you all been here long?

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »
Would you mind if I jumped in? I'm new to mustachianism but slightly less new to the general mindset ... I live out east but work in the CBD.

Given the weather, as a suggestion, there are some cheap Asian food places in the city where you can get a feed for under $10 ... although I can't recommend anything personally. That might be a nice alternative to somewhere outside?

Nice to meet everyone - have you all been here long?

The more, the merrier! We haven't arranged any meetups yet, so this would be the first one! I also work in the CBD and a cheap Asian place sounds great. If all else fails, we could just go for a walk in Chinatown...

I haven't been here very long - maybe about 6 months? I lurked on the forums a while before I started posting. :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 03:05:36 AM »
If you organised it a bit in advance, I could probably come.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 03:37:53 AM »
Are we doing a weekday lunch? If so, I vote Friday.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »
Make it on a weekend and I'll pop in from the gale-force hail south.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 04:16:19 AM »
I can do weekends too, the only tricky time might be Sunday lunch as I have work, though I guess it is still possible to squeeze in a longer lunch break...

wealthywinters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wealthy Winters
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
I could do weekends, but I thinks Saturday is better for public transport. Weekdays are easier but it's not a huge deal.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
I'll be around on the 23rd/24th of May if people want to do then? It's a bit far in advance and work might screw me over (but they shouldn't).

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »
I'll be around on the 23rd/24th of May if people want to do then? It's a bit far in advance and work might screw me over (but they shouldn't).

I don't think I have anything planned for those dates yet, so they're fine for me!

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2014, 04:10:27 AM »
Fuck yeah - I'm up for some madddddddddddddddddddddddd dumpling action, or otherwise enjoyable food stuff (but we'd be bad Melbournians if we didn't AT LEAST CONSIDER dumplings).

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
(but we'd be bad Melbournians if we didn't AT LEAST CONSIDER dumplings).

Haha when my boyfriend came back to Melbourne for a visit (after being away for only 6 weeks), he ate dumplings like everyday. (There are several dumpling places within walking distance of my apartment.)

As far as CBD options go, I most recently tried Shanghai Street Dumpling, which was great (though there can be queues!). Or for something a bit different there's also Shandong Mama. Any other suggestions welcome.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 05:38:03 AM »
For dumplings Shanghai street are my favourite - the wontons in peanut sauce, xiao long bao (steamed OR fried) are great.

There's also a Ugyr place that's quite good for those that haven't tried it.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 04:51:03 AM »
So... are we still doing this? Should we lock in a date?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
Yes

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
I'm fine with either the 23rd or 24th of May as suggested earlier in the thread.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!