Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 34360 times)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2023, 05:52:07 PM »
We are close to pulling the trigger on a Denver suburb Airbnb for mid-Aug to mid-Sept. If we do we will attend the meetup enroute to my wife's grandparents house in southern AZ. I'm excited at the prospect of getting back to the West for the first time since our daughter was born and my hip surgery.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2023, 10:04:56 AM »
We're in! Airbnb is booked. I'm SUPER excited about this!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2023, 10:16:59 AM »
Woo-hoo!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2023, 05:46:13 PM »
This is a Public Service Announcement for all Moab Meetuppers who might have an interest in hiking poles. $34.99 is a hard-to-beat price and a great way to try them out for minimal investment. Don't delay, you can always return them if you change your mind, but you can't get them once they're gone from Costco.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
Thank you! I got mine yesterday!

I also acquired the knowledge of which Costco locations in the area do not carry this item, lol!

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »
Question for those in the know: is flying into Canyonlands airport a reasonable or a dumb idea? Are there any shuttle buses from Moab to the parks, or a rental is a must?

My current options are to fly in DEN or SLC and renting a car there. If I can get around the parks without renting a car, flying to CNY may worth consideration.

V

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2023, 03:56:17 PM »
The flight is astounding - well worth it! Last year, 94 picked us up from the airport, but I think you can also get a hire car there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
Question for those in the know: is flying into Canyonlands airport a reasonable or a dumb idea? Are there any shuttle buses from Moab to the parks, or a rental is a must?

My current options are to fly in DEN or SLC and renting a car there. If I can get around the parks without renting a car, flying to CNY may worth consideration.

V
Not Denver, way too far, IMO. Check out Grand Junction. Probably even easier than SLC.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2023, 06:56:31 PM »
I think some folks flew into Moab airport and were picked up.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2023, 01:15:13 PM »

V
Not Denver, way too far, IMO. Check out Grand Junction. Probably even easier than SLC.

Montrose airport is another option. Has some flights that Grand Junction doesn't support (Southwest, for example).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2023, 10:22:50 PM »

i think it was @deborah and @happy. Their fantastic chauffeur/tour guide was @NinetyFour. However, it looks like were going to be a big group.Tthere may be other ride sharing/carpooling options.

@Stashing Away, hmmm, which route would you take from Montrose to Moab? GJ seems much easier.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2023, 03:21:58 PM »

i think it was @deborah and @happy. Their fantastic chauffeur/tour guide was @NinetyFour. However, it looks like were going to be a big group.Tthere may be other ride sharing/carpooling options.

@Stashing Away, hmmm, which route would you take from Montrose to Moab? GJ seems much easier.

It was Deborah and I who flew into Canyonlands airport and out again from Denver. United and Delta seemed to be both operating. We flew in a CRJ200 jet....I'm sure most Americans would think this a small plane, but its much bigger than most Australian regional planes at 50 seats.

The best part about flying was the views over the entire Arches/Moab area. Absolutely incredible. We were in a bit of a holding pattern (I think due to the Delta flight) coming in and hence flew at relatively low altitude around the place for quite a while. No need to book a scenic flight! If you do it, be sure to get a window seat.

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions, I didn't know there are so many airports around Moab. I also found about the regional air companies!

I may settle for Denver and add an extra week in the area for good measure :-). My options are either going South to Durango/Pagosa Springs or North to Estes Park/Rocky Mountains NP. Can anybody recommend one over the other? I don't want to pollute the thread with my plans, please let me know if this is too OT.

Thanks again,
V

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2023, 08:39:20 AM »
Sending you a PM, Vector.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2023, 12:31:24 PM »
I'd been dragging my feet on our reservation because I wasn't quite sure what our schedule was going to look like. Finally pulled the trigger. We'll be in G9 for the week. Didn't pay the site lock fee though since there were only 2 other camping sites on that side of the river left. Definitely have to get in on the black Friday sale for 2024. $60 a night all in is a bit spicy!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2023, 01:16:18 PM »
I'd been dragging my feet on our reservation because I wasn't quite sure what our schedule was going to look like. Finally pulled the trigger. We'll be in G9 for the week. Didn't pay the site lock fee though since there were only 2 other camping sites on that side of the river left. Definitely have to get in on the black Friday sale for 2024. $60 a night all in for a tent site is a bit spicy!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2023, 01:32:39 PM »
I'd been dragging my feet on our reservation because I wasn't quite sure what our schedule was going to look like. Finally pulled the trigger. We'll be in G9 for the week. Didn't pay the site lock fee though since there were only 2 other camping sites on that side of the river left. Definitely have to get in on the black Friday sale for 2024. $60 a night all in for a tent site is a bit spicy!
Hi neighbor. I'll be right nextdoor in G10.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2023, 01:58:53 PM »
I'd been dragging my feet on our reservation because I wasn't quite sure what our schedule was going to look like. Finally pulled the trigger. We'll be in G9 for the week. Didn't pay the site lock fee though since there were only 2 other camping sites on that side of the river left. Definitely have to get in on the black Friday sale for 2024. $60 a night all in is a bit spicy!

Is this a metaphor, or a real thing? If real, how does it work / where do I find the usual details?

-hoping to join in '24

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
@BicycleB Sun Outdoors ran a Black Friday sale in 2022. I should have reserved then since the current cancellation policy is a full refund up to 14 days prior to the reservation. I think we might grab one this November just in case. Seems like no risk and 40% off is a big savings. Of course, that's assuming they run a similar sale this year. Maybe they'll be an even larger incentive with a recession potentially brewing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 05:42:49 PM by Mr. Green »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions, I didn't know there are so many airports around Moab. I also found about the regional air companies!

I may settle for Denver and add an extra week in the area for good measure :-). My options are either going South to Durango/Pagosa Springs or North to Estes Park/Rocky Mountains NP. Can anybody recommend one over the other? I don't want to pollute the thread with my plans, please let me know if this is too OT.

Thanks again,
V
The goal is for everyone to have a great time. If you have a question, someone else is probably wondering the same thing, or knows the answer. FIRE away. (Hee!)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2023, 09:55:17 PM »
I have a reservation for the 6th to the 13th. I'm currently planning to leave on the morning of the 9th (silly me, I took a fun FIRE job). There's room for another tent while I'm there and someone could take over my spot completely once I'm gone - I would just cancel otherwise.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2023, 11:10:34 AM »
I saw this the other day and thought it was a typo. Alas, it does not seem to be. Apparently timed entries for Arches have been extended through October 31st. We've never had to deal with this before. Since the Magical Moab Meetup's hallmark is its spontaneity,  this might throw a monkey wrench in our non-plans.

It looks like July 1 is going to be an important day to mark on our calendars:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/timed-entry-reservation.htm

ETA: This link has more info:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/news/news12162022.htm
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:16:17 AM by Dicey »

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2023, 11:18:25 AM »
For those who are concerned about the timed entry system, the easy way around it is to go early or late (no ticket required for those entering before 7am or after 4pm).  I went for sunrise on my two days in the park and it was fabulous -- cool, very few people/cars (means you can find parking, which is one of the biggest challenges as the park fills up, and beautiful views.  Not to mention absolutely fabulous company!

It is about a 20 minute drive from the campsite to the park in the morning so you don't even need to be up THAT early to beat the 7am gate.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2023, 11:23:23 AM »
For those who are concerned about the timed entry system, the easy way around it is to go early or late (no ticket required for those entering before 7am or after 4pm).  I went for sunrise on my two days in the park and it was fabulous -- cool, very few people/cars (means you can find parking, which is one of the biggest challenges as the park fills up, and beautiful views.  Not to mention absolutely fabulous company!

It is about a 20 minute drive from the campsite to the park in the morning so you don't even need to be up THAT early to beat the 7am gate.
Oh, hell no! Even if we're FIRE, we're still on vacation! OTOH, I admired that you did so last year and were successful at recruiting other early birds. There are some workarounds, as noted better in the second link.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2023, 10:59:57 PM »
We had a brush with the timed entry system at Rocky Mountain National Park in 2021. It wasn't too bad. We tend to be latecomers anyway and tickets seemed to be more readily available for later afternoon entry times. The experience at Arches might be totally different though due to the park's overall popularity. I don't mind getting up early to beat the ticketing system. Nevertheless I will put a reminder on my calendar for July 1.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2023, 09:56:30 AM »
The trick to arches is to tag along with @Embok . She's a great tour guide, and the feast is spectacular! ;)

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »

Oh, hell no! Even if we're FIRE, we're still on vacation! OTOH, I admired that you did so last year and were successful at recruiting other early birds. There are some workarounds, as noted better in the second link.
Heading out early does have it’s benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2023, 07:31:01 PM »
I love how ethereal it looks.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2023, 07:55:00 PM »
Story time!

We visited Arches for the first time in April 2019 during our first big westward journey. We were on the long trail around the Devil's Garden, more than halfway around the loop past Private Arch, when a storm popped up. There's a spot where you have to decend a steep rock face that is probably 30 feet tall and the rain made the sandstone unbelievably slick. Scary slick. A fall probably guaranteed a trip to the hospital. As we're trying to figure out if there's a safe way down more people are arriving on the trail. I think in all there may have been a dozen or so people that showed up. Someone produces a rope from a backpack and we manage to help everyone down this rock face so they can complete their hike. I am not a fan of heights at all but there were a few people who were REALLY scared, like shaking, trying to keep it together as they're being guided down step by step. It was a really cool moment that bolsters your faith in humanity.

The last picture is my wife and I messing around with funny camera perspectives. We found a tiny arch and tried to make it look like I was a giant.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:00:55 PM by Mr. Green »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2023, 12:23:48 AM »
The trick to arches is to tag along with @Embok . She's a great tour guide, and the feast is spectacular! ;)

Truth.

The last picture is my wife and I messing around with funny camera perspectives. We found a tiny arch and tried to make it look like I was a giant.

Success!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2023, 01:41:11 AM »
Another is to stay longer than the Embok's and have a refrigerator. Their leftovers were excellent!

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2023, 11:07:33 AM »

Thanks again,
V
The goal is for everyone to have a great time. If you have a question, someone else is probably wondering the same thing, or knows the answer. FIRE away. (Hee!)

Thanks!

We intend to spend a couple of days in Rocky Mountain NP on our way from Denver to Moab, and 4 days in the Durango/Pagosa Springs on our way back to Denver. Is it reasonable? Ar we trying to do too much in a single trip?

If anybody is familiar with Rocky Mtn NP, some specific questions:
-  is the beginning of October too late for hiking there? From my research the main road is likely still open, but the Old Fall River Rd may be closed. Variable weather doesn't scare us, but if the snow is already high it may not be too fun...
- any recommendations for 2 days of hiking in the park?

V

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2023, 07:56:50 PM »
I spent a couple of weeks in Longmont visiting a friend after the Moab event last year, which had a very hot and dry summer.  The first major snow didn't hit the Rockies until the last week in October.  Early October is probably fine.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2023, 08:56:28 PM »

Thanks again,
V

Thanks!

We intend to spend a couple of days in Rocky Mountain NP on our way from Denver to Moab, and 4 days in the Durango/Pagosa Springs on our way back to Denver. Is it reasonable? Ar we trying to do too much in a single trip?

-  is the beginning of October too late for hiking there? From my research the main road is likely still open, but the Old Fall River Rd may be closed. Variable weather doesn't scare us, but if the snow is already high it may not be too fun...

V
When Fall River road is closed you can still walk or ride a bike up it without cars make for a fun bike ride.

October 22nd at the visitor center

ws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2023, 02:16:52 PM »
Hey all! Newbie here, just booked site #98 for 11/6-11/13 10/6-10/13. Looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring Moab! I'll be driving in from Denver and would be happy to give someone a ride.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 11:17:00 PM by ws »

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »
Hey all! Newbie here, just booked site #98 for 11/6-11/13. Looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring Moab! I'll be driving in from Denver and would be happy to give someone a ride.

Just in case! I believe the bulk of us are going in October. Did you mean to say you booked for November?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2023, 10:02:11 AM »
Hey all! Newbie here, just booked site #98 for 11/6-11/13. Looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring Moab! I'll be driving in from Denver and would be happy to give someone a ride.

Just in case! I believe the bulk of us are going in October. Did you mean to say you booked for November?
Good catch! Let's try a batsignal to @ws for good measure. It's way too cold there in November for this CA sissy.

ws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2023, 11:15:22 PM »

Good catch! Let's try a batsignal to @ws for good measure. It's way too cold there in November for this CA sissy.

I assumed replies would email me or show up in my messages, sorry I'm just now seeing this! Just double checked, my reservation is in October- phew!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2023, 11:05:09 AM »

I assumed replies would email me or show up in my messages, sorry I'm just now seeing this! Just double checked, my reservation is in October- phew!
Yay! The more, the merrier, IMO.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2023, 02:11:48 PM »
Is anyone else thinking about bringing a vehicle capable of some of the lighter 4WD trails while in Moab? I'm really hoping to have someone I can head out with.

Video for inspo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kMxgYF-7o

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2023, 08:22:52 PM »

Thanks again,
V

Thanks!

V
Weather
Late September/early October is actually often the very best time in RMNP, as long as there isn't an early snowstorm (~15% chance, and 2017 is the only year in recent history with significant snow that early). Expect possibly a dusting of snow above treeline and/or morning frost. By October, there are no more thunderstorms, which are an almost-daily problem during much of the summer. In spite of the lack of storms, it's best to start early anyway if you want to avoid crowds (no later than sunrise). Just before sunrise is also the best time to enjoy Trail Ridge Road, since it's the only way to avoid the tourons up there.

Park Entry
Another advantage to going early is you can get into the park free. I'm not sure what time they start charging fees (which is whenever the entry stations are first manned in the morning), but if you're in before 7AM, you should be good. Note that if you want to enter the park later in the day, you will have to navigate the timed entry restrictions/permitting process.

Hikes
Peaks
1) If you want to hit some of the higher peaks without a ~16 mi r/t slog, CCY is excellent (if Fall River Road is open)
2) Another option is Ida (if Trail Ridge is still open)
3) For a slightly easier option, Twin Sisters is a very nice trail with excellent views from the summit; however, it's below treeline most of the way, so the views are sporadic most of the way

Lakes
1) Chasm is a standout and by October the summer conditions on Longs should mean the trailhead parking area is not a zoo
2) Bluebird Lake out of the Wild Basin area is relatively secluded and as nice as the very heavily trafficked Sky Pond (Bear Lake area)
3) my favorite lakes are the Lion Lakes + Snowbank (also out of Wild Basin), and you might not see anyone out there most of the day

Other
1) Glacier Gorge/Bear Lake area is nice but overrated and very crowded unless you start in the dark w/ headlights to beat the crowds, which you would have to do (before 5AM) if you wanted to go there without a timed entry permit
2) For wildlife viewing, pre-sunrise is typically the best time (notice the running theme that you want to get started early for the best experience)
3) The western half of the park isn't as crowded and has some excellent hikes, but many of the better options are longer approaches (can suggest stuff on that side if interested; as you can probably tell, I've done a lot of miles in the front range)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2023, 05:32:57 AM »
So sorry I have been MIA from this thread!!  Life got busy--too busy.  Catching up......

Basicly PTF. I have no idea where I'll be then but you never know.

Sparty, we would be honoUred if you'd stop by and spend some time with us!!

See y'all in Moab, where there are so many cool mustachians that no one ever has to adventure alone.

Love this!! :)

I just caught up on this thread.

I was not aware that @MonkeyJenga was contemplating camping.

I'll pack the cowbell.

MJ--yes, please!  Cowbell--no, thank you!!

On a more serious note, I am pumped to do this as a road trip this year. It's a long ways off, but the plan looks roughly like...

Toronto to Detroit after work on Friday
Detroit to about Lincoln NE on Saturday
Lincoln to Grand Junction on Sunday
Spend a couple days around Grand Junction, then head to Moab For a week.
Repeat in reverse to come home.

If anyone wants to arrange to meet along the way and convoy, let me know.

I wish I could join you--sounds like a fun road trip.  But I will be in Portugal until 10/3, then trying to recover and pack before heading over to Moab!

In other news, I worked my regular shift at the thrift shop this week. At the very end of the day I spied something that made me LMAO for $4.00. Some know I made last year's nametags and related identifiers, and plan to do so again.

This item will be perfect for Moab, and guaranteed to make y'all laugh. Or roll your eyes, or something. When you see it, you'll know it's me/us. Squeeeeeee!

I love how you find fun things for cheap laughs!!  Can't wait to see this mystery item!

ptf
This area is on our bucket list and attending a MMM meet is something I'd really like to do.

Awesome--we'd love to have you!!

Site is booked for mid-week, we'll be towing a 2 and 3 year old in as well.

Wonderful!!

I'm interested in joining this camping / meetup adventure.  Husband and I are 8 years from fatFI.  We will exit at 57/50 so are interested to hear from others who have crossed the FI threshold and are living well.  Hope to make this work!

Sounds great!  I FIREd at age 56, and am happy to share my not very exciting story.  :)

I'm penciling this in. Thanks for organizing 94.

Would be great to see you again!!

Hi @NinetyFour and magical MOAB peeps, this event sounds wonderful. I'm currently planned to be out of the country until '24, but would love to attend in '24 if more magic happens. Until then, hoping you have a wonderful time this year.

MOAB would be my first MMM meetup more than 10 miles from home. Can't think of a better way to see such a beautiful place for the first time.

H/t to Dicey for mentioning this to me (thanked her directly in journal).

I'll look forward to meeting you in October 2024, if not sooner!!

We are close to pulling the trigger on a Denver suburb Airbnb for mid-Aug to mid-Sept. If we do we will attend the meetup enroute to my wife's grandparents house in southern AZ. I'm excited at the prospect of getting back to the West for the first time since our daughter was born and my hip surgery.

YES!!!!!  It will be great to see you again!!!

I have a reservation for the 6th to the 13th. I'm currently planning to leave on the morning of the 9th (silly me, I took a fun FIRE job). There's room for another tent while I'm there and someone could take over my spot completely once I'm gone - I would just cancel otherwise.

So you'll only get two full days of biking in???  Dang. 

Hopefully I'll have a new bike to show off to you by that time!

Heading out early does have it’s benefits.

Great photos!!!

Story time!

We visited Arches for the first time in April 2019 during our first big westward journey. We were on the long trail around the Devil's Garden, more than halfway around the loop past Private Arch, when a storm popped up. There's a spot where you have to descend a steep rock face that is probably 30 feet tall and the rain made the sandstone unbelievably slick. Scary slick. A fall probably guaranteed a trip to the hospital. As we're trying to figure out if there's a safe way down more people are arriving on the trail. I think in all there may have been a dozen or so people that showed up. Someone produces a rope from a backpack and we manage to help everyone down this rock face so they can complete their hike. I am not a fan of heights at all but there were a few people who were REALLY scared, like shaking, trying to keep it together as they're being guided down step by step. It was a really cool moment that bolsters your faith in humanity.

Yep--that is a tricky spot even when completely dry!  I'm glad that story had a happy ending!

Hey all! Newbie here, just booked site #98 for 11/6-11/13 10/6-10/13. Looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring Moab! I'll be driving in from Denver and would be happy to give someone a ride.

Awesome!!  :)

Is anyone else thinking about bringing a vehicle capable of some of the lighter 4WD trails while in Moab? I'm really hoping to have someone I can head out with.

Video for inspo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kMxgYF-7o

Um.....

@lost_in_the_endless_aisle  That's great info for RMNP--thanks!!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:48 AM »
So it looks like we'll have quite an awesome group.....

(I know some of you aren't 100% sure of attending, but I thought I'd throw a list together)

NinetyFour
@oneday
@Dicey
@Le Poisson
@oldladystache
@driftwood
@the_fixer
@Chaplin
@Embok
@shadowmoss
@plugging away
@FIFoFum
@Fru-Gal
@AlexK
@ixtap
@StashingAway
@lilkidjesus
@lhamo
@Tass
@2Birds1Stone
@meadow lark
@MonkeyJenga
@monarda
@spartana
@Cherry Lane
@srrb
@catbend
@Cannot Wait!
@BicycleB  (if the stars align)
@vector
@ws
@deborah
@happy
@lost_in_the_endless_aisle
@Mr. Green (I can't get this batsignal to work...)
@MoseyingAlong
@TheGrimSqueaker

WOW!!

Last year we had peep from 7 different states, 2 provinces, and 3 countries.  Wonder if we can do even better this time!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2023, 06:20:34 AM »
...and I'm working on my friend @ToTheMoon ...

A couple of my favoUrite moments from last year were mountain biking with TTM and her DH, and paddle boarding with them, too!

I sure hope @the_fixer and his DW want to paddle board again!!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2023, 06:37:52 AM »
Going to miss this one, for good reasons.......but still.... :(

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2023, 07:00:23 AM »
I'm out this year (going to Scotland instead with high school friends) but I really hope you do it next year (and all these super cool kids come again). I know you are all going to have a fantastic time!!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2023, 07:11:54 AM »
I need to start keeping track of who is staying with me at La Casa, a very basic house we are renting from the hostel.  Please remind me if you are planning on staying with me and what dates. We have it from the 6-13th.  Not sure of the cost, but definitely less than a hotel!
Total is $260/night with 6 bedrooms and 19 beds.  If every room is used it will be $44/night per room, some rooms have several bunk beds.

https://www.lazylizardhostel.com/la-casa.php

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2023, 10:18:06 AM »
I need to start keeping track of who is staying with me at La Casa, a very basic house we are renting from the hostel.  Please remind me if you are planning on staying with me and what dates. We have it from the 6-13th.  Not sure of the cost, but definitely less than a hotel!
Total is $260/night with 6 bedrooms and 19 beds.  If every room is used it will be $44/night per room, some rooms have several bunk beds.

https://www.lazylizardhostel.com/la-casa.php

Like 2Birds, I will be abroad this year, but in my case am planning to attend in '24. Something like La Casa would be wonderful next year. Best wishes for '23!!

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2023, 12:08:56 PM »
Weather
Late September/early October is actually often the very best time in RMNP, as long as there isn't an early snowstorm (~15% chance, and 2017 is the only year in recent history with significant snow that early). Expect possibly a dusting of snow above treeline and/or morning frost. By October, there are no more thunderstorms, which are an almost-daily problem during much of the summer. In spite of the lack of storms, it's best to start early anyway if you want to avoid crowds (no later than sunrise). Just before sunrise is also the best time to enjoy Trail Ridge Road, since it's the only way to avoid the tourons up there.

Park Entry
Another advantage to going early is you can get into the park free. I'm not sure what time they start charging fees (which is whenever the entry stations are first manned in the morning), but if you're in before 7AM, you should be good. Note that if you want to enter the park later in the day, you will have to navigate the timed entry restrictions/permitting process.

Hikes
Peaks
1) If you want to hit some of the higher peaks without a ~16 mi r/t slog, CCY is excellent (if Fall River Road is open)
2) Another option is Ida (if Trail Ridge is still open)
3) For a slightly easier option, Twin Sisters is a very nice trail with excellent views from the summit; however, it's below treeline most of the way, so the views are sporadic most of the way

Lakes
1) Chasm is a standout and by October the summer conditions on Longs should mean the trailhead parking area is not a zoo
2) Bluebird Lake out of the Wild Basin area is relatively secluded and as nice as the very heavily trafficked Sky Pond (Bear Lake area)
3) my favorite lakes are the Lion Lakes + Snowbank (also out of Wild Basin), and you might not see anyone out there most of the day

Other
1) Glacier Gorge/Bear Lake area is nice but overrated and very crowded unless you start in the dark w/ headlights to beat the crowds, which you would have to do (before 5AM) if you wanted to go there without a timed entry permit
2) For wildlife viewing, pre-sunrise is typically the best time (notice the running theme that you want to get started early for the best experience)
3) The western half of the park isn't as crowded and has some excellent hikes, but many of the better options are longer approaches (can suggest stuff on that side if interested; as you can probably tell, I've done a lot of miles in the front range)

Thanks for the detailed answer, I now have lots of pointers for my research! I may follow up with questions after I do some more reading.

Regards,
V

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2023, 01:36:01 PM »
I won't make it, but have an amazing time yall!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!